View Full Version : T-mobile, Google, GPRS/EDGE
I'm having issues connecting the n770 via my phone to Google when I'm using T-mobile's EDGE/GPRS service. From what I gather, its an MTU and/or Lookupd issue. I know this because I was having the same issue with my powerbook and I found 2 things I had to do off the net to patch my system. One was to adjust the MTU settings, another was to patch the lookupd daemon. However, since these were automated patches, and I have like zero linux skills (although I did follow the how-tos to edit the opera.ini file and extend the file root system ok) I don't know how to perform these fixes manually. Anyone having the same issues and if so, anyone know how to resolve them?
03-23-2006, 02:45 PM
I covered this in another thread and in my blog:
I think this happened because it was so easy to get dirt-cheap internet after the MDA/SDA was released.
actually, this doesn't address my issue. I've had the t-mobile 19.99 internet package since it was introduced in 2003 and I'm connecting to internet2.voicestream.com
If you look on howardforums, there's an ongoing issue with T-mobile and Google services. I've figured out how to reconfigure things on my powerbook, but not with my n770.
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Link me to the howardforums thing - I'll figure it out and get back to you.
03-24-2006, 01:04 AM
For what it's worth, I'm experiencing the exact same problem; I can't connect to Google through T-mobile, everything else works fine. Of course, this means that I have trouble with any site that uses Google ads, and that's quite a lot. The problem is new, having started to happen earlier this week.
Of course, this all is from my laptop and my Palm Tungsten E2, not my 770. My 770 is still mysteriously refusing to connect through my T610 phone, and I'm still trying to figure out why. A rant for another thread though...
03-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Are you both still using proxies? You can turn off proxies if you have a full internet plan.
Daniel, reread my first post. No proxies. Everything is done through internet2.voicestream.com which has all of its ports open (except real player's I think). Regardless, its not a port nor proxy issue. The issue has to do with T-mobile and their screwy network. Apparently the issue is NOT networkwide but affects most of the east coast. Apparently alls well on the west.
I had issues with my laptop (12" powerbook) connecting to the T-mobile until I ran these 2 things:
In order to alleviate problems with Google Gmail, change the MTU settings with this small patch http://mcleay.dyndns.org/osx/
Use Unlockupd http://www.dshadow.com/software/unlockupd/, which works around a bug in Mac OS X's lookupd (a system daemon that provides networking routines and performs other functions). Apparently the T-Mobile connection is prone to triggering this bug.
HW link -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=605044&highlight=google
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm experiencing this same problem directly on my T-Mobile MDA device (aka HTC Wizard). Apparently, one can also set the MTU on the device to work around this issue. I have not tried this yet.
I experience this problem on the T-Mobile network in Albuquerque, NM, but when I was in San Diego last week, I did not experience the problem.
My friend has the same phone on the same network, but with a different data plan. Her phone does not exhibit the problem.
My data plan is Unlimited VPN. Hers is the newer Total Internet plan.
T-Mobile has acknowledged this problem and is "working with Google" to resolve the problem. Obviously, it's a T-Mobile configuration problem, and apparently related to the data plan and network location.
I hope they find a resolution to this soon. If I find a workaround for the MDA, I will post it here.
04-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Okay, so I just edited the registry on my device to add the following value:
HKLM\Comm\Cellular Line\Parms\Tcpip\MTU [DWORD] = 600 (dec)
then restarted my device.
I then attempted to connect to a web site I administer and logged the network traffic. I noted that the MSS (maximum segment size) was specified as 1460, so the registry change did not seem to have any effect.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.