PDA

View Full Version : NTFS read/write support

ukki
2008-03-12, 18:55
Here is an experimental ntfs-3g driver for os2008. You should be able to use your ntfs formatted usb disks/sticks with it. I take no responsibility if it breaks your device, forces you to reflash your tablet or ruins your usb disk. That been said, it shouldn't do any damage and if it messes up something, simply uninstall it and your tablet should be back to normal.

Installation is easy, just install these two packages and connect your usb disk when tablet is in usb host mode. Good luck.

fuse_2.7.3_armel.deb (http://nakkiboso.com/maemofuse/fuse_2.7.3_armel.deb)
ntfs-3g_1.2310_armel.deb (http://nakkiboso.com/maemofuse/ntfs-3g_1.2310_armel.deb)

Update

Added some other fuse using utils by request.

http://nakkiboso.com/maemofuse/

tobiasj
2008-03-12, 20:38
I will test this tonight, Thanks!
-John

bunanson
2008-03-12, 21:11
@ukki: kind of curious about your signiture logo, is that suppose to be a Nissen fundoplication, or a 270 degree wrap? Is what one implies when working with 1) window$ 2) Linux 3) Nokia tablet? :) that one would be benefitial with an acid reduction surgery?

bun

ukki
2008-03-12, 21:24
@ukki: kind of curious about your signiture logo, is that suppose to be a Nissen fundoplication, or a 270 degree wrap? Is what one implies when working with 1) window$ 2) Linux 3) Nokia tablet? :) that one would be benefitial with an acid reduction surgery?

bun

Haha, it's indeed Nissen. Went through a surgery a year ago and friends gave me a nickname solmumaha (something like knot stomach in english) because of it. Hence the avatar.

bunanson
2008-03-12, 21:37
Your logo is cute, solmumaha.

And sure, I will try the progs tonight and thanks for the progs.

bun

qole
2008-03-12, 21:52
Thank you, ukki!

I had tried last week, in vain, to get NTFS to work, just using the ntfs.ko kernel module file. This looks like an elegant fix.

Since you have packaged up fuse so nicely for us, do you think you could package sshfs as well? There's a package (http://people.freedesktop.org/~skaboy/maemo/fuse/dists/scirocco/user/binary-armel/maemofuse-sshfs_1.7-1_armel.deb) here (http://people.freedesktop.org/~skaboy/maemo/fuse/dists/scirocco/user/binary-armel/) that seems to work under OS2008 with the openssh package and your fuse 2.7.3 package, after I installed it manually. Perhaps you could repackage it? I suspect there would be many people who would like it.

ukki
2008-03-12, 22:08
Thank you, ukki!

I had tried last week, in vain, to get NTFS to work, just using the ntfs.ko kernel module file. This looks like an elegant fix.

Since you have packaged up fuse so nicely for us, do you think you could package sshfs as well? There's a package (http://people.freedesktop.org/~skaboy/maemo/fuse/dists/scirocco/user/binary-armel/maemofuse-sshfs_1.7-1_armel.deb) here (http://people.freedesktop.org/~skaboy/maemo/fuse/dists/scirocco/user/binary-armel/) that seems to work under OS2008 with the openssh package and your fuse 2.7.3 package, after I installed it manually. Perhaps you could repackage it? I suspect there would be many people who would like it.

I actually have sshfs and avfs packages, but there are no guis for them so you need to mount by hand. Avfs allows you to cd into compressed archives and open files inside them without extracting the archive. You can even run binaries from your memory cards if they are compressed, even if cards are mounted noexec. I'll add them to first post.

qwerty12
2008-03-12, 22:19
Ooh, avfs sounds nice ^-^ :)

Btw, i wouldn't have guessed, your avatar is a stomach :\

ukki
2008-03-12, 22:42
Ooh, avfs sounds nice ^-^ :)

Btw, i wouldn't have guessed, your avatar is a stomach :\

Yes, it sure looks like a certain other body part. I really wonder how bun got it :)

qole
2008-03-12, 23:02
Usage:

avfsd -o allow_other mountpoint

With avfsd you can then cd into archives like this: cd archive.tar.gz#/

Just a question about the usage of avfsd: What is the "mountpoint" in this example, and where do you put the archive's name? Could you give an example that involves /home/user/archive.tar.gz please?

PS: I didn't see a body part at all. I assumed your avatar was a little pink guy bending over with his hands clasped in front of him.

ukki
2008-03-12, 23:14
Just a question about the usage of avfsd: What is the "mountpoint" in this example, and where do you put the archive's name? Could you give an example that involves /home/user/archive.tar.gz please?

As root:

mkdir /media/avfs
avfsd -o allow_other /media/avfs

Then as root or user:

cd /media/avfs/home/user/archive.tar.gz#/
ls

I wonder what metalayer-crawler thinks of these though :)

qole
2008-03-13, 06:28
Thanks again!

I wonder what metalayer-crawler thinks of these though :)

"Oh look at all those files I haven't indexed yet! You weren't using that processor, were you? Thanks, 'cause I'll need it for the next few hours."

:D

qole
2008-03-14, 21:02
ukki, I'm loving my new sshfs setup. I can stream MP3 audio from my home computer now, anywhere I can get wifi, just by double clicking on the song filename in filemanager. I haven't had any opportunity to test the NTFS module; I'll do that tonight, probably.

ukki
2008-03-14, 21:19
Glad to hear it. I'm toying with an idea of making a proper gui for sshfs and maybe others. Something like MacFusion.

NTFS doesn't seem to be a big hit. Maybe I was too late and everyone formatted to fat32 already. I only tested it with an ntfs usb stick I made under linux and have no use for it myself, but it would be nice to know if the driver is stable and usable.

qole
2008-03-15, 06:04
I tested NTFS tonight. The first time I plugged in the USB hard drive, it couldn't find a file system, but I unplugged it and tried again, and it worked the second time.

Seems to work fine (viewed some pictures, watched some video, changed a file name), except for a strange bug where a very large (multi-gigabyte) mpeg2 video file wouldn't even 'ls' correctly because the file size seemed to be causing some sort of overflow. I didn't have time to find out just how large this file is, because I ran out of time...

I think NTFS will probably become a big hit. Just give people some time to discover this thread.

isaacs
2008-03-16, 17:37
Installed all packages and it seems to have broken usb control. I will try some of the other scripts to see if it works with that. Can't use a usb thumbdrive that had worked and no luck on my external powered 120gb hdd. Will post back if I can make it work.
Isaac.S

ukki
2008-03-16, 18:32
Sorry to hear that. Uninstalling the ntfs package should make it work normally again. Would have been nice to know what fails though. When you plug in the disk, can you mount it from an xterm as root?

mount.ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/usb/sda1

isaacs
2008-03-16, 20:43
ukki,
I tried what you said and it gave a file system in use message. So I plugged it back into windows and did a safely remove hardware routine. It works just fine now. Mounts automatically. usbcontrol though is still broken. It only works by running scripts.
So cool to be able to move files around with out a computer. Now I just need a portable hub so I can do multiple items at once! Once my 8g mini sdhc gets here I'll be set for whatever I need to do!
Thanks for porting this!
Isaac.S
PS for those that want the scripts follow the wiki here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_USB_Host_mode_on_the_N800_u sing_OS_2008) I used the 'Extras' App method. I would recomend this over usbcontrol until it is fixed. For those that are afraid of the command line it really isn't that bad. cp is copy and if you put it on internal memory card on the n810 you can find that at /media/mmc2
One more thing, I used http://nitapps.com/ root application. Very cool.

ukki
2008-03-16, 21:22
I wonder why would usb control break because of this, I really don't touch anything usb related. Also I recommend using usb-otg-plugin to switch between usb modes. You can find it from the garage.

isaacs
2008-03-17, 01:13
The usbcontrol that broke was the app included in UMPK. It just switches usb from otg to host or peripheral Just wanted to clarify.
Isaac.S

ukki
2008-03-17, 06:31
Yes, I know what usb control is. I just can see this breaking it. usb-otg-plugin does the same as usb control, but without the need for Python. And it's faster to access too.

qwerty12
2008-03-17, 06:50
I agree with ukki, usbcontrol just sends a echo line afaik. The one included with UKMP is the old one, get the standalone one, much newer.

missaghi
2008-03-18, 13:26
my external hdd gives me a message 'file system not found' and mounting fails. it goes into host mode,and the read/write light on the drive flashes, says:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0702 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

i thought it was an ntfs thing so installed fuse and ntfs-3g and tried

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
and
mount -t ntfs-3g /media/usb/sda1 /mnt/windows

no luck.

btw my thumb drive and even creative muvo works great. the hdd has a y cable one going to a 4xAA power, seems to need abit of coaxing to spinn-up though.

Thanks! (i'm in awe of the wealth of knowledge here)

oh if anyone has tips about getting my irda usb dongle to work that would be cool:
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 07d0:4959 Dazzle

ukki
2008-03-18, 14:37
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
and
mount -t ntfs-3g /media/usb/sda1 /mnt/windows

That will not work. Busybox' mount doesn't seem to work that way. You should try:

mount.ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows

About usb control. Friend of mine had stability issues with this ntfs driver. Tablet rebooted after some copying to the ntfs drive. He uninstalled usb control and started using usb-otg-plugin and the problem went away. I haven't looked what usb control does differently, but I recommend using the plugin if you have stability issues.

missaghi
2008-03-18, 17:55
Works Great! Thanks!

isaacs
2008-03-19, 15:14
If you are in the bad habit as I was of just unplugging ntfs drives from windows without doing the safely remove hardware first, you will have trouble mounting as well. Just plug in to windows and remove hardware to mark the file system as safe for remounting.
Isaac.S

qole
2008-03-19, 16:48
I tried to upgrade the SSH packages (a new version was released), but it seems to be causing conflicts with sshfs. I'm not sure if this is your package? Here's the screenshot:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/2345873562_72256f78eb_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2345873562/)

I'm going to go ahead and remove it, hopefully I can re-install it.

tz1
2008-03-19, 21:07
I have a coda based davfs2 working (also needed libneon), but it is supposed to also work with fuse.

Any way you would consider adding webdav?

qole
2008-03-19, 23:29
It still works, but now I get the following:

warning: ssh nodelay workaround disabled

hmmm.

evad
2008-03-22, 02:43
NTFS support works very well for me! I've checked two NTFS drives. First was Maxtor 160GB portable, powered by additional USB plug, which I've tucked into laptop's USB socket, and the second one into my N810. Drive has been recognised straight away. Second HDD was Maxtor 320GB powered externally, which also has been picked up by ntfs-3g in N810 very well :) Big thanks for that additions.

This is my very first contribution to this forum, as I've had my N810 very shortly and I'm still exploring massive potential that device has, hence I think I'll visit these forums more often. :)

qwerty12
2008-03-22, 10:43
How does this compare to ntfs.ko module? In the kernel I'm running, it is enabled as module support & write support is enabled.

Saying that, I believe ntfs-3g is newer. I'm not trying to bring down ukki's great work, I'm just curious :)
│ This is a rewrite from scratch of Linux NTFS support and replaced │
│ the old NTFS code starting with Linux 2.5.11. A backport to │
│ the Linux 2.4 kernel series is separately available as a patch │
│ from the project web site. │
│ │
│ For more information see <file:Documentation/filesystems/ntfs.txt> │
│ and <http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/>.

ukki
2008-03-22, 11:09
How does this compare to ntfs.ko module? In the kernel I'm running, it is enabled as module support & write support is enabled.

Saying that, I believe ntfs-3g is newer. I'm not trying to bring down ukki's great work, I'm just curious :)

Is it really read/write nowadays? If so, how well does it work? I was still under the impression that it's read only so I didn't even look at that.

qwerty12
2008-03-22, 11:16
Is it really read/write nowadays? If so, how well does it work? I was still under the impression that it's read only so I didn't even look at that.

I haven't actually tried it, sorry.

"There is partial, but │
│ safe, write support available. "

I just saw that, sorry.

Pretoriano
2008-03-24, 15:30
can anyone compile lzolayer? or compfused? or any fuse compressed filesystem? thanks!

isaacs
2008-03-25, 16:00
I realize this is for ntfs mount specifically but I am trying to mount a fat partition, CF card and have tried on a card reader. No luck. Do you think it is lack of power? It says no filesystem found. Correctly recognizes a d70s camera plugged in.
mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb/sda1 returns failed.
Any ideas? NTFS hard disks and a usb stick work fine.
Isaac.S

ukki
2008-03-30, 06:28
I'll look into compiling/packaging more fuse modules.

@isaacs

It could be power related. Some sticks etc. require just a little too much power to work. A powered hub could help you.

ukki
2008-03-30, 08:47
Added davfs2 and lzolayer packages. I don't have a webdav server so davfs2 is untested. Please report how they work.

llipschutz
2008-04-02, 14:35
I installed both the fuse and ntfs debs, and plugged in my 256mb stick, and got the "Unable to connect, no file system available" message. The stick works fine when FAT32 formatted, but not when NTFS formatted. I've tried unplugging/replugging as was suggested earlier, and when I try to mount the device with "mount.ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/ntfsdisk" I get the a string of errors:

$MFTMirr error: Incomplete multi-sector transfer detected in '$MFT'
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1;L Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or you have hardware faults, or you have a sofrtRAID/FakeRAID hardware.
[more info on how to troubleshoot...blahblahblah...]

Am I missing something? Or am I just wrong?

Any help would be appreciated. The ability to read NTFS would be great, and I see that others have gotten this working.

(BTW, does anyone know if there is a similar patch/install for vanilla FAT? My olympus camera only takes FAT-formatted cards)

evad
2008-04-02, 15:01
I installed both the fuse and ntfs debs, and plugged in my 256mb stick, and got the "Unable to connect, no file system available" message. The stick works fine when FAT32 formatted, but not when NTFS formatted. I've tried unplugging/replugging as was suggested earlier, and when I try to mount the device with "mount.ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/ntfsdisk" I get the a string of errors:

$MFTMirr error: Incomplete multi-sector transfer detected in '$MFT'
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1;L Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or you have hardware faults, or you have a sofrtRAID/FakeRAID hardware.

Try sticking it into Windows machine, and then unmount it properly using 'Safely remove hardware'. Once it's done, try connecting again to the Tablet.

Mounting NTFS drives that haven't been properly unmounted first is usually a pain.

llipschutz
2008-04-03, 15:56
Huh strange, the first stick I tried still fails (I always "Safely remove hardware" with NTFS disks), but a second USB memory stick I just reformatted to NTFS works fine. Must have been something wrong with the first stick.

Thanks for the suggestion. And thanks for the softare!

vinc17
2008-04-26, 02:09
Files from the fuse package have incorrect owner/group ids:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 392 2008-03-12 15:03:03 /etc/init.d/fuse*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 6160 2008-03-11 19:59:56 /sbin/mount.fuse*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 18972 2008-03-11 19:59:17 /usr/bin/fusermount*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1000 1000 49116 2008-03-11 20:01:54 /usr/lib/fuse/fuse.ko
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 99972 2008-03-11 20:00:33 /usr/lib/libfuse.so.2.7.3*
and the permissions of /dev/fuse are probably incorrect:
crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 229 2008-04-26 03:44:38 /dev/fuse
I get the error message:
fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied
and if I set the permissions to 666, I get:
fusermount: mount failed: Operation not permitted

Johnx
2008-04-26, 04:47
try making fusermount suid root. I got fuse working as user eventually (for sshfs, not ntfs, but it shouldn't matter).

vinc17
2008-04-28, 00:12
try making fusermount suid root. I got fuse working as user eventually (for sshfs, not ntfs, but it shouldn't matter).

This works, but I suppose that this should have been done automatically at the package installation (the Debian package fuse-utils does this).

buma
2008-07-28, 23:18
mmm - maybe this is why I can't mount my hd to my n800...

so, stupid question - this will ADD the ability to read NTFS formated drives, correct? It won't REPLACE the ability to read FAT / FAT32 drives... yeah, newbie question, but still, just want to make sure...

Now to figure out how to get this installed now before I get home (no wi-fi connection here)...

fesato
2008-08-04, 19:41
hola e tratado de instalar este paquete pero me dice que el fuse impocible instalar si me pueden ayudar lo agradesco

OID
2008-10-05, 09:45
fuse doesn't work for me. When I try # Insmod /usr/lib/fuse/fuse.ko :

insmod: cannot insert '/usr/lib/fuse/fuse.ko': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error

ukki
2008-10-05, 10:21
Try using the one from Diablo extras. Not sure my ntfs-3g package will work with it though.

Venemo
2010-08-25, 10:17
Can this ntfs-3g (or a newer one) be compiled for the N900?

ryu1
2011-11-28, 19:34
Is this working in n900? I installed both files, but when i connect my 1tb isb hdd, and try to copy something to it it keep saying i have no permission to write.

ReverZ
2013-01-30, 20:24
Unfortunately the website http://nakkiboso.com is down.
Does someone know another source for this packages?

fuse_2.7.3_armel.deb
ntfs-3g_1.2310_armel.deb

I would need them for the N900.

Best regards,
ReverZ