PDA

View Full Version : Hatari (Atari ST) Thread

SniggyMA
2009-02-22, 21:58
I've been playing around with Hatari, the AtariST emulator on my N810. I have to say that I am really impressed with the graphics / sound / and games. While everyone is struggling to get dosbox working at slow speeds, I think a lot of people are missing out on this great emulator.

I have learned a few things about the emulator, but I thought we should get a thread going on Hatari.

What to post in this thread:
1) Great games that work well.
2) Hatari / AtariST tricks and tips
3) Requests for Help.

If you haven't tried Hatari yet, go get it here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/tammat/hatari/index.shtml

Most of the games are now abandonware, so you have a huge library to choose from. I'll post some suggestions shortly.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070223b/DungeonMasterAtariST.png

SniggyMA
2009-02-22, 22:06
One of my first suggestions when using this emulator is that you DO NOT use the fake EMUTOS bios image. The emulator runs much better with the original TOS 2.06 bios.

You can find an image of the bios files here: http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary%27s/Emulation/BIOS_Roms/BIOS_roms_summary.htm

When I used the fake bios image, games wouldn't run and I had major mouse issues. Get Tos_206.zip for the best gameplay.

SniggyMA
2009-02-22, 22:34
Another tip for avoiding the use of disks is to install a hard disk image. You can do this through the hatari configuration menu.

1) Download a blank hd image: http://hatari.berlios.de/download.html
2) Extract the hard drive image to a location on your PDA. (warning - its 80mb)
3) Press the Menu button to bring up the configuration page.
4) Under the disk menu, point the HD image to the image you extracted.
5) If you were successful, you know have a c: on your desktop.
6) You can now copy any disk you insert onto the hard drive! No more disk management.

I have also attached a blank HD image to this post. Have fun! :D

SniggyMA
2009-02-24, 22:21
One fantastic RPG to play in Hatari for the N810 is Phantasie II and III. Both are top notch RPGs that work well in the emulator. In theory they are supposed to have a Dungeon Disk, but that isn't necessary. The game disk can be used as the Dungeon Disk. Just make sure you enable write pemissions to the A drive. Also, the game may ask you to answer questions for copy protection. You can usually guess it, but the manual is downloadable online. Once you answe it once it stops bugging you.

I highly recommend this series if you enjoy RPG games.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/Iormungand/1056883196-00.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phantasie_Coverart.png

Phantasie
screenshot from Phantasie

Based on the Isle of Gelnor, Phantasie allowed a group of six characters to adventure the countryside and try to defeat the evil Black Knights and their sorcerer leader, Nikademus. Players could choose to be one of six character classes (Thief, Fighter, Ranger, Monk, Priest and Wizard) and could also choose between the races of Human, Dwarf, Halfling, Elf or Gnome. By selecting "Random" one could also choose from ogre, troll, pixie, gnoll, orc, lizard man, minotaur, and other races.

Get more information on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasie

lemmyslender
2009-02-25, 02:54
How is Du geon Master working for you? I can't get the direction arrows to work reliably. I'll tap on one, try to tap on another, and the first registers the click. Very annoying. Are you having any better luck?

Thanks for pointing this out, the Atari ST was my first computer.

Addison
2009-02-25, 06:20
There is a direct port of Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back.

Just use that instead.

Works perfect in Diablo. :)

Grab the .deb file here:

Chaos Strikes Back (https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=68&release_id=874)

SniggyMA
2009-02-25, 21:34
Picture aside, I haven't really used DM on Hatari yet because my version of the disk image was crashing. I had major mouse issues until I started using TOS 2.06 with other games. What version are you using? That may fix your problem.

lemmyslender
2009-02-26, 02:59
Sniggy, per your advice I am using 2.06.

Addison, thanks for pointing out that port. That'll occupy me for hors.

SniggyMA
2009-02-26, 06:44
Well that stinks. You could try a different version of TOS, but it might also have issues with the emulator. :(

tobiasj
2009-02-26, 16:44
I have actually been running Hatari for about a year now and using it as a ST mobile companion to the Mega ST2 that is sitting on the desk next to me.

However one problem I have with Hatari that I can not figure out is why the mouse pointer is off by so much when in emulation (though when you bring up the hatari menu it is spot on). This makes it a LOT less useful to me and I wondered if anyone else found a way around this.

I have used most of my ST software sucessfully in Hatari just using the disk images directly, but not being able to actually click on anything without trial and error makes it a lot less appealing.

It might have something to do with using a larger resolution than normal for an ST but if the emulator supports it the mouse pointer should work... oh well, anyone have any ideas or fixes?

-John

tobiasj
2009-02-26, 16:45
How is Du geon Master working for you? I can't get the direction arrows to work reliably. I'll tap on one, try to tap on another, and the first registers the click. Very annoying. Are you having any better luck?

Thanks for pointing this out, the Atari ST was my first computer.

This might be a problem similar to the one I am having above with the mouse pointer off by so much when in emulation.

-John

lemmyslender
2009-02-26, 21:03
tobiasj -

It seems to me that the menus are right on. After loading Dungeon Master, the pointer seems to be in the upper right corner, but on the first touch goes to where it should be. There are arrows on the screen to move around. The first tap hits the forward arrow ok. When I go to hit another arrow, it seems to sometimes (most times) register a tap first, then register the move. So the wrong arrow gets clicked, then the pointer moves to the correct arrow. Very frustrating. Sometimes it does seem to move first, then click.

Don't know if that similar to what you are seeing.

SniggyMA
2009-02-26, 21:18
Hmmm.. Again, I was having a lot of trouble with that when I used the EMUTOS bios. I only run in the lower resolution with the zoom setting enabled. I think its related to the TOS file since that is what fixed it for me.

Is it illegal to post the TOS file? If it isn't, I can attach the one that I have been using. I can't remember where I got it, but it gives me no mouse problems thus far. I'm using an N810

SniggyMA
2009-02-26, 21:21
Then again... I can't even get dungeon master to load, and I'm not sure why. Phantasie works flawlessly for me though, so I've been loving that trilogy.

SniggyMA
2009-02-26, 21:40
Another great game for Hatari is Simcity. I've always loved this game since I was a kid. Sure the graphics aren't as good as Simcity 2000, but the gameplay is tried and true. It works flawlessly for me running TOS 2.06 on an N810.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cf/ST_Sim_City.png

SimCity is a city-building simulation game, first released in 1989 and designed by Will Wright. SimCity was Maxis' first product, which has since been ported into various personal computers and game consoles, and spawned several sequels including SimCity 2000 in 1993, SimCity 3000 in 1999, SimCity 4 in 2003, SimCity DS, and SimCity Societies in 2007. The original SimCity was later renamed SimCity Classic. Until the release of The Sims in 2000, the SimCity series was the best-selling line of computer games made by Maxis.

For more information go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimCity

qole
2009-02-26, 22:02
I love the weird juxtaposition in the menus across the top:

File, Options, Disasters, Windows

tobiasj
2009-02-27, 01:01
Hmmm.. Again, I was having a lot of trouble with that when I used the EMUTOS bios. I only run in the lower resolution with the zoom setting enabled. I think its related to the TOS file since that is what fixed it for me.

Well, thats as may be but I have a real TOS 2.06 and 1.4 (that I pulled out of my own ST's) that I have been using with other emulators and they seem to work with with the Maemo Hatari for everything else.

The mouse pointer being off (when in TOS desktop and ONLY when in emulation, like I said the Hatari pop up option menu clicks properly.) is the only problem I am having with it.

I do however probably have it in High res and have zoom on I will have to play with the video settings and see what if anything makes it change.

Thanks,

-John

SniggyMA
2009-02-27, 01:26
I did just see a mouse issue when I opened king's quest. I get the impression that the game put me in Hi-Res mode and then the mouse didn't work right. That might be the issue. Does Dungeon Master run with some sort of high-res setting?

tobiasj
2009-02-27, 01:26
Another great game for Hatari is Simcity. I've always loved this game since I was a kid. Sure the graphics aren't as good as Simcity 2000, but the gameplay is tried and true. It works flawlessly for me running TOS 2.06 on an N810.

Simcity is an awsome game, I have had it on almost every platform I have used to date (including Palm and Windows CE/Pocket PC) Having a native version on Maemo would be GREAT but until then Hatari will be perfect for it...

-John

SniggyMA
2009-02-28, 23:20
Another great game that works for me without problems is Rouge. I am using TOS 2.06, which works with both the mouse and keyboard for this game. It's nicer than the classic version of rouge since there are actually pictures for the items/monsters as opposed to ASCII.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/90900872_628e637ac9.jpg

Rouge

In Rogue, the player assumes the typical role of an adventurer of early fantasy role-playing games. The game starts at the uppermost level of an unmapped dungeon with myriad monsters and treasure. The goal is to fight one's way to the bottom, retrieve the Amulet of Yendor, then ascend to the surface. Until the Amulet is retrieved, the player cannot return to earlier levels. Monsters in the levels become progressively more difficult to defeat. Rare is the adventurer who will again see the light of day.

Read more on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

tobiasj
2009-03-03, 00:11
I did just see a mouse issue when I opened king's quest. I get the impression that the game put me in Hi-Res mode and then the mouse didn't work right. That might be the issue. Does Dungeon Master run with some sort of high-res setting?

After prolonged testing, it seems the Maemo port of Hatari does not handle Medium Res or any of the custom Extended GEM VDI resolutions properly (from a mouse pointer standpoint) Low res and High res work perfectly.

for what it is worth, I would have no idea how to make changes to fix that so I will just use the low or high resolutions. (games that use Med Res also display the problem.)

-John

SniggyMA
2009-03-03, 01:30
Well at least we have figured it out. Now we just need to compile a decent list of games that are low resolution and work well. Thanks for the info John!

tobiasj
2009-03-03, 16:24
Well at least we have figured it out. Now we just need to compile a decent list of games that are low resolution and work well. Thanks for the info John!

Right! you mean back to the original idea of this thread!

I have played:

Better Dead than Alien
- Runs well, but getting the controls to work is problematic. it has its own keymappings and such for controls and it fights with the joystick option and it really does not like the directional pad for movement.

Battle Chess
-Runs slow, but is a Medium Res game and suffers from the mouse pointer problem.

Chaos Strikes Back
-I couldnt get this to run at all, but it could have been a patience thing, all I got was a black screen for about 60 seconds before I gave up and reset.

Chase HQ
-Black Screen only

Curse Of Ra
-Title Screen and nothing else.

Dungeon Master
-Works, loads, dungeon doors open and I couldnt get it to do anything else... (it is also a Med Res game and clicking is difficult)

Golden Axe
-crashes the emulator.

Hacker
-Seems to work perfectly (as far as I tested it anyway)

Hacker 2
-Also seems to work well.

Populous
-Runs great, but is a Med Res game and you can not click on the buttons to start the game. Also, the mouse pointer being off so far might make this kind of game unplayable.

Those are all I got to last night. I will check more tonight.

-John

iskarion
2009-03-03, 20:10
After prolonged testing, it seems the Maemo port of Hatari does not handle Medium Res or any of the custom Extended GEM VDI resolutions properly (from a mouse pointer standpoint) Low res and High res work perfectly.

Maybe it's rather a problem of the old Hatari version (0.95) available for Maemo, than a specific problem of the Maemo port.

With older Hatari versions even on my desktop PC sometimes I did encounter strange mouse behaviour. With the most recent version 1.2.0 I don't have such issues. Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with porting stuff to Maemo. :-(
And as there was a major code cleanup in Hatari 1.0.0, applying any Maemo specific patches from the 0.95 port ot a more recent version might not be that straightforward...

tobiasj
2009-03-03, 21:59
Maybe it's rather a problem of the old Hatari version (0.95) available for Maemo, than a specific problem of the Maemo port.

With older Hatari versions even on my desktop PC sometimes I did encounter strange mouse behaviour. With the most recent version 1.2.0 I don't have such issues. Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with porting stuff to Maemo. :-(
And as there was a major code cleanup in Hatari 1.0.0, applying any Maemo specific patches from the 0.95 port ot a more recent version might not be that straightforward...

Well I managed to port the Atari800 emulator to Maemo, I could look at the code for the current version of Hatari and see if I can figure it out. I make NO promises tough as C++ is NOT my strong suit and I have no idea how to actually code for Maemo (from scratch).

-John

SniggyMA
2009-03-03, 22:41
Interesting... I have played both golden axe and populous. I didn't have a mouse problem with populous, and golden axe worked though it was too slow. Let me look into my settings.

SniggyMA
2009-03-03, 22:52
Okay.. I tried populous again. I must have pushed the mouse on the corners to get by. It does exhibit the poor mouse behavior.

Golden Axe works on atari 800, not ST. I need to stop installing so many emulators. My head hurts :p

SniggyMA
2009-03-03, 23:14
I just tried Drakken. It loads, but does exhibit the mouse issue. On this game it might be more tolerable since you use the keypad to maneuver the players.

http://www.oldgames.sk/images/oldgames/rpg/Drakkhen/drakkhen-004.png

tobiasj
2009-03-04, 00:20
Well the latest source for Hatari compiles, I am having problems trying to copy it over to my N810 however as SCP keeps locking up...

I will let you know if it runs at all. Then I will start tweaking what has to be tweaked and post it.

-John

tobiasj
2009-03-04, 00:40
Well, the latest version (with no tweaking) is like 3 times the size of the original version.

It seems to run faster, but still has the same mouse pointer problem.

The only positive form an emulation point of view is if you move the mouse pointer to a position where the offset would take the pointer off the screen it seems to lessen the offset to a point where it is useable. I am not sure yet how this translates to games, especially those that boot straight into the game. I will runs some game tests and post more...

-John

SniggyMA
2009-03-04, 00:51
I wonder if it is a latency issue. I can get the pointer to line up by touching the corners, but it eventually can't keep up with my tapping which seems to get it to misalign again. It's cool that you got the latest code to compile though!! :cool:

tobiasj
2009-03-04, 01:18
OK ran some tests, I dont think it is quite as quick as the original version, though some setting tweaking might make up for that.

It does however run far more games sucessfully than 0.95 did. I got golden axe to run and it was almost playable with the sound off and full screen.

I am going to upload the executeable to my webserver and post a link here for anyone that wants to download it.

All I had to do was (for restorablility sake) rename the original hatari executeable to hatari.old and plop this exec into /usr/bin/ (where the original is) and chmod it +x. I had created my own .desktop file to make it available to me from the menu rather than having to launch it in xterm so I needed to put it in the same place.

-John

SniggyMA
2009-03-04, 01:33
I wish I saw this earlier... Is this how you built it?

Building Hatari from source

If you want to build the Hatari package yourself for the device:

* Get the latest device SDK and install it
* Start Scratchbox and get the latest Hatari sources from CVS into Scratchbox
* Extract the Hatari N800 changes tar-file to the Hatari sources directory and apply the patch for GCC options (workaround for the SDK ARMEL GCC v3.4.4 bug):
patch -p0 < hatari-N800.diff
* Make sure that you got the latest EmuTOS binary release and put the extracted EmuTOS image also to the Hatari source directory with name emutos.img
* Run make-maemo.sh (inside Scratchbox). It will build Hatari, install it to a temporary directory, add the emutos.img + configuration files + hatari.png icon suitable for these devices and the Hildon desktop there and then packages all of these into a Debian package.

It was from this website: http://koti.mbnet.fi/tammat/hatari/index.shtml

I wonder why he hasn't updated his DEB package with the most recent code.

tobiasj
2009-03-04, 01:56
No, I went to the original hatari source (http://hatari.berlios.de) and checked the code out of Mercurial and built it fresh. I dont think the patches he made for 0.90 would work on the new code base. Though I might look at his changes and see what he did and how I might duplicate it in the new code.

I have uploaded it to my website if you want to try it:

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo

-John

SniggyMA
2009-03-04, 02:37
I just tried it. The status bar is nice, but I see what you are saying about the speed issues. I'm trying to find the right settings to speed it up, though its going really slow for me. I think disabling frame skip seems to be helping. I also set the graphics to TV mode and clicked off all the CPU compatibility settings.

Just like you said though, same mouse issue. It does seem to have improved a bit. I noticed if I keep my stylus in the same spot the pointer eventually catches up.

Other than the speed problem, I would say the emulation is definitely better. Thanks for building this. If nothing else it gives us options.

tobiasj
2009-03-04, 02:48
There is a n810.cfg file available in the new codebase and I have just added it to the zip file on my website (http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/ and while I dont seem to be able to get my hatari to use it, it certainly should make it run better. A readme in the source says to rename it to hatari.cfg and put it in /etc/ however my hatari doesnt load it from there and even when I copied it to .hatari.cfg in /home/user it doesnt seem to pick it up. when I find the proper location it should make a difference.

You can re-grab the zip file and try it out yourself...

bah, some days I really need to stop and think... it is using the one in /home/user/.hatari/ put the new one in there and it does work...

-John

SniggyMA
2009-03-04, 03:41
What about /home/user/.hatari?

SniggyMA
2009-03-04, 04:01
Ok.. I got it working with the config.

My first attempts are showing a really great improvement. The speed is pretty decent too. The mouse is also much better. Great work!!!

SniggyMA
2009-03-04, 23:08
APB - All Points Bulletin

Well, using Hatari 1.20 I got some new games to work with decent speed. Another playable game is APB. I would suggest using Hatari 1.20, scanline grapics, STE Joystick 1 enabled, and low quality sound.

It's a bit difficult to control your car, but with practice its not too bad.

http://www.uvlist.net/cdn/l/y2005/8/2803.jpg

The object of the game is to meet (or exceed) the daily quota of citing or arresting various types of law-breakers within a time limit for the day. The player is given an overhead view of Officer Bob's patrol car, number 54. The player controls the car with a gas pedal and a steering wheel. The player receives "demerits" for accidental collisions, running over pedestrians, and failing to make quota. The player gains bonuses for a "perfect day" and each arrest over the quota. Picking up donuts extends the time limit for a day. Driving through filling stations refuels the patrol car.

For more see wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.P.B._(video_game)

tobiasj
2009-03-05, 13:42
Monty Pythons Flying Circus

Plays almost full speed. (using 1.20 version of Hatari)
It is all joystick controlled I noticed no problems playing it at all.

Sound breaks up once in a while but not often enough to annoy.

MPFC is a platform game and, especially if you happen to like pythonesque humor, a very entertaining one.

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/images/screen/Monty_Python_game.jpg

tobiasj
2009-03-05, 14:07
Rogue (retested on Hatari-1.20)

basically a graphical version of Nethack. I prefer it because I never could keep the letter codes straight in nethack.

Plays full speed, and though it uses the mouse, it is a Low Res game and there seems to be no pointer issues.

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/images/screen/rogue2.png

SniggyMA
2009-03-05, 23:30
Game: Elite II
Hatari Version: 1.20
Settings: TV Graphics, Sound Low Quality
Issues: Move the mouse to the 4 corners of the screen to readjust it.

I have no idea how to play it but Elite II seems to work for me. It is high resolution graphics, so you'll have to trick the mouse into position.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Frontier_elite2_screenshot.gif

SniggyMA
2009-03-05, 23:35
Game: Gauntlet II
Settings: TV Graphics, Sound Low Quality or Disabled
Issues: The game is slow but playable.

http://www.ataritimes.com/images/arcade/gauntlet2.gif

SniggyMA
2009-03-06, 01:59
Game: Lemmings II - Oh No More Lemmings
Settings: RGB Graphics, Sound Low Quality, Accurate CPU
Issues: The game runs at full speed with the music and sound. You have to run your stylus across the corners of the screen to line up the mouse before playing a level. Other than that it works great!

http://www.oldgames.sk/images/oldgames/logic/Lemmings.Oh.No.More/vgalemmi_001.png

SniggyMA
2009-03-06, 02:22
I didn't know this since I'm not Atari ST expert, but if you hold down shift after the memory test Hatari will boot right from the floppy in drive A. This seems to be the only way to get some games to boot successfully.

This is with TOS 2.06. I don't know about other versions.

SniggyMA
2009-03-06, 02:58
Game: Test Drive I
Settings: TV Graphics, Sound Low Quality, Accurate CPU, Press Shift After Memory Test
Issues: The game runs very slowly, but it runs.

http://www.thehouseofgames.net/files/t/test_drive/test_drive-4.gif

SniggyMA
2009-03-06, 03:13
Wow.. Ultima VI works great!

Here are my exact settings:

TOS: TOS 2.06
System: CPU 68040, STE, Real Time Clock Emulation, Patch Timer-D
Screen: Fullscreen, Zoom ST-low res., TV Graphics, Frame Skip 0
Sound: Low Quality

The game seems to run at full speed. The mouse is a little off, but like I have been saying move it to the corners. Once it is lined up it stays that way.

Enjoy!! I know I will!

http://media.strategywiki.org/images/thumb/f/f8/Ultima_VI_MS-DOS_box.jpg/250px-Ultima_VI_MS-DOS_box.jpg

tobiasj
2009-03-06, 12:45
Temple Of Apshai Trilogy.

Works, plays at good speed. Mouse is touchy and off (Med Res game) by a bit, though you can control the hero with the 'joystick' and if you remember the key-mappings you can do most everything without the mouse..

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/images/screen/templeofapshai.png

tobiasj
2009-03-06, 12:46
I didn't know this since I'm not Atari ST expert, but if you hold down shift after the memory test Hatari will boot right from the floppy in drive A. This seems to be the only way to get some games to boot successfully.

This is with TOS 2.06. I don't know about other versions.

If you turn off 'boot from harddrive' in the disks menu it boots to the floppy if there is one as well...

-John

tobiasj
2009-03-06, 16:05
Road Runner

Side scrolling game of keepaway with the Road Runner from Looney Tunes.

Plays well, controlling the roadrunner is tricky though without a real joystick.

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/images/screen/roadrunner1.png

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/images/screen/roadrunner2.png

SniggyMA
2009-03-07, 14:40
Another game working perfectly.

TOS: TOS 2.06
System: CPU 68040, STE, Real Time Clock Emulation, Patch Timer-D
Screen: Fullscreen, Zoom ST-low res., RGB Graphics, Frame Skip 0
Sound: Low Quality

The game seems to run at full speed. The mouse is a little off, but like I have been saying move it to the corners. Once it is lined up it stays that way. It's playable and emulated perfectly.

http://www.larwe.com/museum/img/ark2game.gif

tobiasj
2009-03-07, 22:41
Midi Maze

This brings up an interesting problem. You need the ALTERNATE key on the ST keyboard to set this for Solo play so you can play without a MIDI ring of ST computers. I do not know how to get an ALTERNATE key on Hatari. I will have to dig into the code and see if it is mapped to something.

Seems to work well as far as it goes, has mouse or joystick control and is low res...

Course, if I could get iMaze to compile in maemo we wouldnt need this lol...

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/images/screen/midimaze.png

tobiasj
2009-03-07, 23:21
Wierd Dreams

tos 1.2 us (doesn't seem to work with UK roms)
Plays 90% full speed (which on this game actually helps) is a med res game but doesn't use the mouse (joystick game)

I had a love hate relationship with this game back in the day... (mostly with this first part trying to get out of the cotton candy machine...)

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/images/screen/wierddreams.png

Addison
2009-03-08, 01:50
Hey, I sure wish you two guys would devote as much dedication to the Dosbox thread as you are to this one.

But oh well. :D

Any chance you could test, James Bond: The Stealth Affair?

That's probably the only game I would be interested in trying out.

Thanks!

James Bond screenshots (http://www.mobygames.com/game/james-bond-the-stealth-affair/screenshots)

tobiasj
2009-03-08, 03:36
Hey, I sure wish you two guys would devote as much dedication to the Dosbox thread as you are to this one.

But oh well. :D

Any chance you could test, James Bond: The Stealth Affair?

That's probably the only game I would be interested in trying out.

Thanks!

James Bond screenshots (http://www.mobygames.com/game/james-bond-the-stealth-affair/screenshots)

Well, you know, I would but I dont have much in the way of old dos software. I have been an Atari guy since the early 80's and that makes for a LOT of software laying around.

Speaking of which I will look through those boxes of software and see if I have that one lying around. if I do I will make a image out of it and try it out for you.

Now if the NIT could handle Mech Warrior 2 in Dosbox then I might have something to use dosbox for... Course, I would have to find the dos version of it...(I only have the accursed windows version which as far as I can tell doesn't run on anything anymore...)

-John

SniggyMA
2009-03-08, 19:31
I do love dosbox, but I think it will be more relevant when the next maemo platform is released. It simply isn't fast enough to play the games i want to play. Sometimes I suffer through the speed issues and play Masters of Orion, but its painful. The great thing about Hatari is that the current platforms can handle the games. Many of the games seem to run fast enough to be playable.

As soon as the platform is fast enough to play X-Com, I'll be all over it.

SniggyMA
2009-03-08, 19:34
Midi Maze

This brings up an interesting problem. You need the ALTERNATE key on the ST keyboard to set this for Solo play so you can play without a MIDI ring of ST computers. I do not know how to get an ALTERNATE key on Hatari. I will have to dig into the code and see if it is mapped to something.

Seems to work well as far as it goes, has mouse or joystick control and is low res...

Course, if I could get iMaze to compile in maemo we wouldnt need this lol...

I was going to look into the keyboard map for the same issue. I bet you can map the ALTERNATE key via a mapping file. I am also not sure how to do numbers or the F keys on my n810. It does kill some of the games who ask you to select the number of players or hit an F key for something.

Addison
2009-03-09, 03:41
I was going to look into the keyboard map for the same issue. I bet you can map the ALTERNATE key via a mapping file. I am also not sure how to do numbers or the F keys on my n810. It does kill some of the games who ask you to select the number of players or hit an F key for something.

Why don't you just use Xkbd with one of my left or right sided keyboard layouts?

Based on the screenshots you two have posted, it should fully fit pixel perfect outside the screen area and it has all of the function keys as well.

Troubles solved. :)

Keyboard Collection (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=218041)

tobiasj
2009-03-09, 13:43
Why don't you just use Xkbd with one of my left or right sided keyboard layouts?

Based on the screenshots you two have posted, it should fully fit pixel perfect outside the screen area and it has all of the function keys as well.

Troubles solved. :)

Keyboard Collection (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=218041)

Because I didn't buy an N810 to use a software keyboard. ;)

Really though Addison I use your xkbd layout all the time on my N800 for Hatari, DOSBox and my own port Atari800 (I even posted it in my recommendations for making the emulator usable on the N800) but I really want to stay clear of software keyboard on the N810 if I can.

I have just finished poking through the code, and I dont know what possesed Nokia to give us 2 shift keys and make them BOTH LShift I mean c'mon, I was planning on robbing a RSHIFT and making it ALT since The Atari ST does have both an ALT key and a CTRL key. When this didnt work out I thought - I dont remember ever having to use the CTRL key on my ST - so I remapped the CTRL key to return an ALT key.
If I find a use for the CTRL key I may remap it to send both and see what happens.
I didn't update my zip file (www.n8ftl.com/maemo) yet because I want to be fairly sure it doesn't seriously break something else before I give this one out...

For now I have a working Midi-Maze and it plays full speed. :D

-John

http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/images/screen/midimaze-works.png

SniggyMA
2009-08-12, 06:40
I've just fired Hatari back up in the past few weeks. I still think its a fantastic emulator for the NIT.

Addison
2009-08-12, 07:01
Did you ever check out the port for Dungeon Master?

It's full of win! :D

SniggyMA
2009-08-14, 19:58
I sure have. Another kick *** port is Star Control 2 . Nothing to do with Hatari, but a dam good game.

Dactar
2009-10-10, 08:40
Hello :)

What is the best way to install hatari on Maemo 5 Final SDK ?

Dactar
2009-10-18, 15:58
Sooo...who have installed Hatari on N900 hmm ? :) What is the result ?

Dactar
2009-11-13, 23:03
up :p

ArnimS
2009-12-08, 16:28
Sooo...who have installed Hatari on N900 hmm ? :) What is the result ?

Me. It needs a proper port.

Alex Atkin UK
2009-12-24, 00:20
Me. It needs a proper port.

I just installed it as it now seems to be in extras-devel but all I get is an error saying "Loading Hatari configuration failed. Make sure you've saved one!" and so far not found out how to create one. Will probably steal one from my desktop PC and see what needs changing.

I think its a bit silly of whoever put it onto the repo to not include a basic configuration file so that we at least have something to work with.

dread123
2009-12-24, 18:59
just installed this cheers. works great.found some old bios files and away i go :)

hoping that ultima VI works

joksanen
2009-12-28, 19:19
I have installed the Hatari emulator on my N900 (from extras-devel). I needed to copy the config file from /etc/hatari.cfg to /home/user/.hatari/hatari.cfg, and edit the file a bit: I changed the "nKeyCodeFire" to "100" (the fire is then button D on the keyboard).

The emulator works quite well (IMO), but it needs some optimizations: sometimes it slows down too much, and it seems that "overscan" is not supported (a technique to remove screen borders, used in some demos and games). I tried the "--borders 1/0" -option (show screen borders), but no luck.

I've made a video showing this emulator in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_GcCgkH6xM&hd=1

Dactar
2009-12-28, 21:43
Ohhh yeaaaahh !!! :D

Rushmore
2009-12-29, 15:36
I have installed the Hatari emulator on my N900 (from extras-devel). I needed to copy the config file from /etc/hatari.cfg to /home/user/.hatari/hatari.cfg, and edit the file a bit: I changed the "nKeyCodeFire" to "100" (the fire is then button D on the keyboard).

The emulator works quite well (IMO), but it needs some optimizations: sometimes it slows down too much, and it seems that "overscan" is not supported (a technique to remove screen borders, used in some demos and games). I tried the "--borders 1/0" -option (show screen borders), but no luck.

I've made a video showing this emulator in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_GcCgkH6xM&hd=1

How do you access or copy to /home/user or other folders? The only folders I see are in the mass storage and file manager does not access these folders either.

joksanen
2009-12-29, 15:46
How do you access or copy to /home/user or other folders? The only folders I see are in the mass storage and file manager does not access these folders either.
Use the X terminal.
cp /etc/hatari.cfg /home/user/.hatari/hatari.cfg

aironeous
2009-12-29, 17:18
As soon as it is released from extras testing, devel whatever I'm getting it Where are the roms or games?

Dactar
2009-12-29, 18:17
As soon as it is released from extras testing, devel whatever I'm getting it Where are the roms or games?

Legally :

ROMS : if you have an real atari there's tools for dump the ROMS. You can also use emutos who is free.

GAMES : if you have real games on old disks there's tools for copy them to an .st image. You can also find Atari games in .deb archive here : http://koti.mbnet.fi/tammat/hatari/games.shtml

Rushmore
2009-12-30, 02:59
Use the X terminal.
cp /etc/hatari.cfg /home/user/.hatari/hatari.cfg

Thanks!

Is there a mini guide for:

1. Where and what directory to place the games
2. Do I need find a bios like the Amiga needs to run?

Any other tips to make my experience to be as smooth as your video:)

Thanks!

BTW, I played the HECK out of Stuntcar Racer back in the day. N900 is playing it as fast as it played on the Amiga 500:)

Rushmore
2009-12-30, 15:33
I surrender for now.

I am using 2.06 TOS ROM, but still no luck getting a game to run. When I try to run a game, it says already running, need to shut down first. Tried mounting from floppy and same result.

Sure would be nice to see a Youtube guide. I unzipped the files and have both msa and st files.

Installed fine and the app opens the GUI, but no luck after that.

Looking forward to getting it to work. Lots of good games on the ST.

joksanen
2009-12-30, 16:57
1. Where and what directory to place the games

Check the hatari config file at /home/user/.hatari/hatari.cfg, and edit the lines containing "szDiskImageDirectory" and "szHardDiskDirectory". I set them to "/home/user/MyDocs/atari".

2. Do I need find a bios like the Amiga needs to run?
The emulator comes with emuTOS, but it's not 100% compatible (AFAIK), so you possibly need the real TOS rom.

Do you see the "File", "Emulation", "Devices" etc. menus at the top? If not, have you installed both "Hatari" AND "Hatari UI" packages?

If both are installed, just copy and edit the config file as descibed earlier, and start the "Hatari UI". Then open the "Devices->Machine", select machine type (ST, STE...), memory size, TOS image etc. Now open the "Devices->floppies" -menu, select the disk images and reset the atari. You might also want to enable the joystick from "Devices->joysticks".

It should be that easy, if I haven't forgotten anything. Some games might need more tweaking, i.e in Obsession pinball game you need left AND right shift keys (I edited the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 -file temporarily so that the dot key was right shift).

Rushmore
2009-12-30, 19:55
Check the hatari config file at /home/user/.hatari/hatari.cfg, and edit the lines containing "szDiskImageDirectory" and "szHardDiskDirectory". I set them to "/home/user/MyDocs/atari".

The emulator comes with emuTOS, but it's not 100% compatible (AFAIK), so you possibly need the real TOS rom.

Do you see the "File", "Emulation", "Devices" etc. menus at the top? If not, have you installed both "Hatari" AND "Hatari UI" packages?

If both are installed, just copy and edit the config file as descibed earlier, and start the "Hatari UI". Then open the "Devices->Machine", select machine type (ST, STE...), memory size, TOS image etc. Now open the "Devices->floppies" -menu, select the disk images and reset the atari. You might also want to enable the joystick from "Devices->joysticks".

It should be that easy, if I haven't forgotten anything. Some games might need more tweaking, i.e in Obsession pinball game you need left AND right shift keys (I edited the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 -file temporarily so that the dot key was right shift).

Hatari UI running fine

Currently using UK TOS version 2.06

STE and memory 1MB

Disks are loaded like on the Amiga emulators, but when I reset (cold or warm) the floppy is not loaded.

I have unzipped msa and st images and same result above, regardless of what is loaded.

I try to edit the config, but terminal reports "file not found".

I appreciate your time

joksanen
2009-12-30, 20:26
Hatari UI running fine. Currently using UK TOS version 2.06. STE and memory 1MB. Disks are loaded like on the Amiga emulators, but when I reset (cold or warm) the floppy is not loaded. I have unzipped msa and st images and same result above, regardless of what is loaded.

Hmmm, maybe there is something wrong with the disk images you are using? Let's try this: download this demo (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=9699). Put the .MSA to your disk image directory, goto "Devices->Floppies", select the POSH_RV1.MSA to "Disk A", and reset the atari (check that "pause" is not selected). I just tested, and it works fine with 1MB STE / TOS 2.06 (great demo by the way :)).

Rushmore
2009-12-30, 23:10
Hmmm, maybe there is something wrong with the disk images you are using? Let's try this: download this demo (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=9699). Put the .MSA to your disk image directory, goto "Devices->Floppies", select the POSH_RV1.MSA to "Disk A", and reset the atari (check that "pause" is not selected). I just tested, and it works fine with 1MB STE / TOS 2.06 (great demo by the way :)).

The demo did not work either. I reset and the Hatari resets back to workbench screen, but does not load the demo that is in floppy a. (well, workbench is what the main screen is called on Amiga).

scorpio16v
2009-12-31, 07:12
The demo runns fine with TOS 1.04. :)
If you reset the emu and the disc didn't start, you havn't disabled booting from harddisk.

btw the hatari UI is a pain in t. a.

You can better take access via shortcuts to start the original hatari menues.( For example : the blue arrow key and o ) .

Is there a permanent possibility to calibrate the mousepointer ?
The best default calibration is under TOS 2.06.

Pablo Diablo
2010-01-04, 00:00
Hi, I`ve been messing around with hatari all day and finally got games running on.

fire button does`nt seem to be working tough, I edited the cfg to button 100 as explained earlier but still it`s not working with the button D, am I supposed to have it set to Real Joystick under devices/joysticks?

also is there a way to input function keys? like as in F1 F2...

ENFDO
2010-01-05, 22:22
I surrender for now.

I am using 2.06 TOS ROM, but still no luck getting a game to run. When I try to run a game, it says already running, need to shut down first. Tried mounting from floppy and same result.

Sure would be nice to see a Youtube guide. I unzipped the files and have both msa and st files.

Looking forward to getting it to work. Lots of good games on the ST.

Hi.

I have the same configuration as you are. But... Adams Family and the demo u mencioned drives waaaayyyy slooowwww.

I have to configurate this. Can u give me a hand?

joksanen
2010-01-08, 20:45
fire button does`nt seem to be working tough, I edited the cfg to button 100 as explained earlier but still it`s not working with the button D, am I supposed to have it set to Real Joystick under devices/joysticks?
You Have to set it to "keyboard".

also is there a way to input function keys? like as in F1 F2...
I got the F1 key working by editing the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 -file, but I'm pretty sure there's a better way to do it.

I have to configurate this. Can u give me a hand?
You can see the hatari configuration file I'm currently using by clicking here (http://oksane.net/misc/hatari.cfg).

P.S: the keyboard on my N900 does not have separate up/down arrow keys (Scandinavian layout), and I have to temporarily change the layout to English when I want to use the emulator.

snubmoggy
2010-02-02, 14:18
Anyone know if this is due to be moved from 'extras-devel' to 'extras-testing' anytime soon?

I want to try it but was waiting until thos happens..

Thanks

Dactar
2010-02-06, 17:35
I got the F1 key working by editing the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 -file, but I'm pretty sure there's a better way to do it.

Yes there's a better way : use a keymap file for hatari.

Create a file (keymap.cfg) and save it somewhere (/home/user/.hatari/). On a qwertz keyboard, I've remapped F1 on q and F2 on w like this :

The first number can be found here : http://www.koders.com/c/fid8D6280AEFC1089A8F98EB34B12BA678E634E5C6A.aspx

The second number on the keyboard drawed here : http://koti.mbnet.fi/tammat/hatari/hatari-ui.shtml

Once the file saved, you can call it from the basic configuration of Hatari, menu keyboard, option "From file" and you select the file you have created.

snubmoggy
2010-04-05, 19:00
You Have to set it to "keyboard".

You can see the hatari configuration file I'm currently using by clicking here (http://oksane.net/misc/hatari.cfg).

P.S: the keyboard on my N900 does not have separate up/down arrow keys (Scandinavian layout), and I have to temporarily change the layout to English when I want to use the emulator.

Well, I finally got round to installing Hatari but to be honest I find it a bit of a pain, I spent a good while playing around with the settings and the UI but it is just not set-up right for the N900.

Is a real shame that there is not a proper version for the N900 as this could be a great application, there are a huge amount of Atari ST games that could work great on the N900.

lythario
2010-04-26, 01:36
I've recently installed Hatari to my Mac and using TOS 1.04. I've followed all the instructions but I still don't understand how to load a game into the emulator.

The games that I'm trying to load were downloaded from http://www.doperoms.com. They're zip files, which I'm told should work. Although most of the docs say they should be in .ST or .MSA format. Any ideas on how this is done? :confused:

The only thing that I have accomplished is being able to move files back and forth from the Mac and emulator via the GEMDOS drive. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

dan_bremen
2011-01-28, 16:36
Hey guys, Can someone tell me where can I download the emulator for the N900?, I can't find it in the downloads section of the site, serached for it on the N900 too but I can't find it :( I bought my N900 mostly for playing Atari games!

Bazza
2011-01-28, 19:05
Hey guys, Can someone tell me where can I download the emulator for the N900?, I can't find it in the downloads section of the site, serached for it on the N900 too but I can't find it :( I bought my N900 mostly for playing Atari games!

possible alternative

Download uae4all (amiga emulator) same games but better and its working great,

also there maybe some nice changes coming up for it in the near future to make it a better experience . :cool:

edit

sorry guy's just realised what i did when i posted my comment i was hijacking an atari st thread with an alternative emulator when i should have been answering the question in the post

link to atari st package (http://maemo.org/packages/view/hatari/)

you will need maemo extras-devel enabled, but do it at you're own risk some apps may harm you're N900

also there are possibly 2 other packeges under the hatari (not a typo) package name that you may need.

and most importantly read this thread from start to finish to help you install it correctly.