PDA

View Full Version : [Maemo 5] Camera stream from N900 to PC? (N900 as webcam)

zehjotkah
2009-09-11, 21:03
Would someone like to develop a program that streams a live-video from the n900 to a pc via wlan and/or usb? I could help with the graphics.

The program should work similar to "mobiola webcam" for symbian: search for the correct pc in the network (or type in the ip-address), select it, and the stream will start. You should be able to select between the front- and the back-camera. You should be able to use the stream in all major messengers (at least msn and skype). The program should be open-source and I prefer a command-line app, with a small, simple GUI, so that other developers can use it easly for their programs. It should work with both windows and linux on the pc.

I will pay 20€ for that program. And I'm sure others will do the same..

Thanks in advance.

DeeGee
2009-09-11, 21:10
Shouldn't VLC be able to do this? I think someone mentioned that the cameras on N900 are accessible through Video4Linux, so streaming from them shouldn't be a problem. [edit] Ah, you'd like support to use the stream as a webcam on the PC? I guess that would require some additional program on the PC side.

fnordianslip
2009-09-11, 21:12
I recall using something like this (http://wiki.maemo.org/Streaming_video_from_built-in_webcam) to stream video from my N800 to VLC on my Mac. Perhaps that would be a good start.

zehjotkah
2009-09-12, 09:12
Thanks for your replies.

I would like to have it as a standalone application, which have to be installed on PC and the n900 (maybe n8x0, too??).
It would be good if it doesn't require any hacking in part of the user, so that ANY n900 user (I think many of the n900 buyes don't will have any experiences with linux) can use it without having problems.
Currently I'm using "mobiola webcam" on my e71, but the n900 will replace my e71, and that is currently the only application I'm missing.

Thanks!

abbra
2009-09-12, 10:14
There is Qik application in repositories already, it allows to stream video to qik.com account. Works fine.

zehjotkah
2009-09-12, 11:43
There is Qik application in repositories already, it allows to stream video to qik.com account. Works fine.

I want to stream the camera-video to my PC so I can use the n900 as a webcam. Via wlan as a wireless webcam.
With mobiola webcam it's very good. I can take my e71 with me all around my house, and with a wireless headset speak all the time. So when I'm in the kitchen, the person on the other side can watch me cooking. When I'm sitting in front of my PC it's like a normal webcam with a very good quality.
And that's it, what I want to do with my future n900.

slate8
2009-09-12, 11:50
This does sound like it would be a very useful feature. Gets my vote! :)

McChicken
2009-09-12, 18:46
This does sound like it would be a very useful feature. Gets my vote! :)

I Second that...great feature

zehjotkah
2009-09-12, 18:51
Do you also are willing to pay/donate a little bit for such a program?

jandmdickerson
2009-09-12, 20:01
You may want to put it on the brainstorm area and get some supoort and ideas as to how to design it.
http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/list/ideas/fremantle/

I like the idea, I wish we could use gizmo since it was nice on maemo 4 (Diablo) hopefully if enough people submit a ticket for it they will listen
http://support.gizmo5.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit

Thesandlord
2009-09-12, 20:03
This is how i do it on my n810

I stream the video using some command line stuff (I found on the WiKi) to VLC on my computer. Then, I use a "capture desktop to webcam" program to capture the streaming video and convert it to a webcam. Probably better ways to do this, but...

zehjotkah
2009-09-12, 20:13
This is how i do it on my n810

I stream the video using some command line stuff (I found on the WiKi) to VLC on my computer. Then, I use a "capture desktop to webcam" program to capture the streaming video and convert it to a webcam. Probably better ways to do this, but...

I think we should be able to replace the "capture desktop to webcam" program with a program, that has the VLC-core built in and takes directly the video-stream-data (instead of filming the desktop) for using in messenger programs. Then write a little front-end for the command-line stuff...

jandmdickerson
2009-09-12, 20:20
This is how I do do it on my N810. I open up gizmo buzz my family overseas on their PC and turn on the front facing cam on my NIT, and use it either at home over wifi or work on tethered 3g. We can see and talk just like a webcam on my laptop. It is easy for the other party to install Gizmo and best yet it's free.

zehjotkah
2009-09-12, 20:27
This is how I do do it on my N810. I open up gizmo buzz my family overseas on their PC and turn on the front facing cam on my NIT, and use it either at home over wifi or work on tethered 3g. We can see and talk just like a webcam on my laptop. It is easy for the other party to install Gizmo and best yet it's free.

Sorry, but I think you don't understand what I'm asking for.
I would like to have a program like the "mobiola webcam" (http://www.mobiola.com/mobiola-web-camera) program for my e71.
This program turns my mobile phone into a very high quality webcam.
It connects the mobile to the PC and acts like a normal webcam, but because it's connected through wlan you can walk around with your mobile (often I'm sitting in my garden, the n810 connected via rdesktop, the e71 connected via mobiola-webcam, and a wireless headphone.).

I don't want to do video-chat directly on my n900 (sure, I want, but that is not the intention of my initial post), but I want to stream the video-data from my n900 to my PC to use it as my webcam-source.

I hope this will clarify everything a little bit.

jandmdickerson
2009-09-12, 21:00
Ohh okay got it. :)

daveb70
2009-09-13, 02:59
I understand the concept and can see some merit in wanting this to be a simple all-inclusive app. I'm not a big webcam guy so maybe it'd be kool for awhile if nothing else. And yet over time many of us will likely find other ways to make use of an app like this.

What I wonder is who'll build the head mounted rig to cradle the N900 so it hovers over and in front of you so you don't have to hold it up in the air all the time when walking? :p

zehjotkah
2009-09-13, 07:57
What I wonder is who'll build the head mounted rig to cradle the N900 so it hovers over and in front of you so you don't have to hold it up in the air all the time when walking? :p

Look, what I've "build" to hold me e71 as a normal webcam: :D
http://picasaweb.google.de/zehjotkah/Webcam?feat=directlink

lemmyslender
2009-09-13, 14:20
Here's a program that I ran across a while back. It will stream video from the N8x0 camera to a webpage. You can access that webpage from any other computer on the network (or outside the network if you know how to set it up). It works as a motion detecting camera or just streaming and can save the video as well.

Might be a good starting point for someone.

gstmjpg (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20309)

nashith
2009-09-13, 15:21
I also use mobiola webcam on my E90, also mobiola headset thingy too... i dont have to worry about a webcam being installed at the computers I use for MSN and can use the phone as a headset too.. pretty decent for a software that works over USB,BT,WLAN too, should be a great app for N900 as well..

toranz
2009-12-28, 16:47
waiting for this program to magically appear to download...

romanianusa
2009-12-28, 17:29
Qik works fine for me and it's LIVE and you chat too.

timperi
2009-12-28, 17:47
This would be a nice app. I would probably be coding something like this at the moment if there was a way for me to develop with QT on my Win7-64bit system (and compile to the device...) But there isn't at the moment, and that makes me a sad boy :)

MADDE is promising, but i couldn't get it to work.

Qik is a nice app, but it lacks the camera settings, which makes it a non-optimal solution.

zehjotkah
2010-02-10, 21:37
Now I got a little bit further.

The current idea is to use gstreamer on the n900, set up a server on it (to use it also online, not only in a local network) and on the pc-side use VLC to grab the stream.

You can talk to the camera of the N900 via gstreamer, by installing gstreamer-tools
root
apt-get install gstreamer-tools
and then
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! autovideosink
for front facing camera
or
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! autovideosink
for back camera.

For streaming I found this article: http://doit.juii.net/meta/englisch/588
so using VLC on the other end would be the best. No server needed for local network streaming...
Stay tuned, or jump in if you want to help to provide a easy-to-use solution to use the n900 as a webcam.

nikrohr
2010-02-24, 16:42
how do i set up vlc? port & protocol?

rikisky
2010-03-08, 02:26
this is gonna be great when done : ) love the idea of streaming from an online server, reminded me of american pie :P

m2cm2c
2010-03-13, 16:52
I got it to work by doing this:

on the phone
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! smokeenc ! udpsink host=192.168.1.255 port=1234

on my computer
gst-launch udpsrc port=1234 ! smokedec ! autovideosink

now with mencoder I think we'll be able to set that stream as a virtual video device on the desktop :D

zehjotkah
2010-03-14, 09:41
I got it to work by doing this:

on the phone
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! smokeenc ! udpsink host=192.168.1.255 port=1234

on my computer
gst-launch udpsrc port=1234 ! smokedec ! autovideosink

now with mencoder I think we'll be able to set that stream as a virtual video device on the desktop :D

you're tha man!!
it works really well in linux!
of course one have to replace the ip-address with the one of the own PC.
you can also change the resolution.
i've tried it with windows gstreamer but no luck so far. i would have packed it then in a nice .exe package (just a batch file)
thanks you again!
i think we can bring that to a nice multi operating system camera streaming thingi ;)

pgv1982
2010-03-23, 12:26
Hello every body.

I made to short scripts on bash in order to make the streaming easyer:

First on the N900 with root privileges

touch /usr/local/bin/stream-gst
chmod +x /usr/local/stream-gst
vi /usr/local/bin/stream-gst

and there write (remeber to press "i" to edit and when you finish press ESC and then "x:" + ENTER ):

#!/bin/sh

gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video$1 ! videoscale! video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240,framerate=30/1 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! jpegenc ! tcpserversink host=$2 port=5000

After that run the script:

stream-gst 1 192.168.1.101

In this example you are transmiting from the /dev/video1 (Front Camera) to the computer 192.168.1.101
or
You can also steam from the back camera to all the computers on your network by:

stream-gst 0 192.168.1.255

Then on the PC (with linux and root privileges)

touch /usr/local/bin/get-gst
chmod +x /usr/local/get-gst
vi /usr/local/bin/get-gs

and there write (remeber to press "i" to edit and when you finish press ESC and then "x:" + ENTER ):

#!/bin/sh

gst-launch tcpclientsrc host=$1 port=5000 ! jpegdec ! autovideosink

And the runing the script specifiing the IP of your N900

get-gst 192.168.1.102

It also work on the other way and direction. To see the web cam on yor PC form your N900.

See you!

Patricio
Pd: Sorry for my english

zehjotkah
2010-03-23, 12:41
Thanks!
I'm still trying to get it work for windows users.
On Linux it works great (used the previous posted way..)

stobbsc
2010-03-29, 13:55
When this starts working for windows I can see it being a big hit. I woudl donate for the work on this :-)

shadow12
2010-03-29, 20:37
For windows have a look at this link (http://blog.pclewis.com/2010/02/streaming-nokia-n900-camera-to-vlc/)

Renkon
2010-03-30, 10:23
It works that way very good.
But one crucial point is, that you won't have automatic brightness control with the back camera.
The front camera was good enough for my tests (it can automatically adjust the brightness by firmware it seems).
With the back camera you might up ending seeing only a white screen in bright environments.

Fredook
2010-04-14, 14:20
there is any program to use the n900 as a Wifi webcam, Mobiola webcam as ??

lennartb
2010-04-14, 14:23
Not that I know of, but I would love that!

Fredook
2010-04-14, 14:27
And there is a chance to do some similar program for maemo?

AlMehdi
2010-04-14, 14:33
I do not know a program.. but think it might be possible with ssh/X11 forwarding somehow.

cashclientel
2010-04-14, 14:35
streaming to http and over wifi would be a really useful feature.

Fredook
2010-04-14, 14:37
Here is the version for Symbian and Windows Mobile

http://www.warelex.com/products/webcam/

twaelti
2010-04-14, 14:55
It should be quite easy to implement, as I believe that the onboard GStreamer framework includes most of what is needed.
But could you please specify your use case a bit more in detail? A "webcam" can be quite different things in todays world.

Fredook
2010-04-14, 14:59
For example to use as a webcam on msn

Arkenklo
2010-04-14, 15:03
I've created a tiny set of simple scripts that establishes a live audio/video stream over any available network connection to a given host. No usb connection needed.
They're availabe here (http://arkenklo.net/stuff/maemo/scripts/). A brief explanation of what which file do:

aplay-net.sh - client-side (reciever) script that listens to a certain port and plays incoming audio.
arecord-net.sh - server-side (n900) script that connects to a given ip/port and streams microphone audio.

gstreamer.sh - client-side (reciever) script that listens to a given port and plays the incoming video with vlc.
gstreamer_server.sh - server-side (n900) script that connects to a given ip/port and streams camera video.
gstreamer.spd - client-side (reciever) vlc configuration file. You have to manually edit this to suit your settings. My file has "127.0.0.1" as the ip, and "31337" as the port, replace these values.

twaelti
2010-04-14, 15:06
These scripts are a nice base to integrate into a simple python server with very basic frontend (start/stop, clickable VLC config :-)

Fredook
2010-04-14, 15:12
It would be very useful to be able to make the application !! Some are encouraged to try something?

mikaelh
2010-04-14, 16:04
Still quite a gap to using this stream with MSN or Skype?

M A S T E R
2010-04-14, 16:10
i think the maine use for the 'webcam' here imo would be best used for stuff like msn or aim and video calls and or skype vid calls. that would definitely be used the most. other things it could be used for is like ustream or some kind of live feed with a low quality option since the higher the quality the longer the delay i have noticed just with qik.

-MASTER

Fredook
2010-04-14, 16:26
Someone can create the application then?

bugelrex
2010-04-14, 16:35
There is an opensource version called smartcam for s60. Its works flawlessly for bluetooth and wifi.

Anyone familar with Symbian might be able to redo the transmission protocol for linux and keep the windows binary.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartcam/files/

http://www.intomobile.com/2007/09/27/turn-your-s60-device-into-a-windows-xpvista-wireless-webcam.html

Fredook
2010-04-14, 16:51
Well bugelrex! someone who can do that? : D

assetburned
2010-04-14, 18:53
there is already a project for the N800. it based on a apache port (for the device) and another lib.

why reinvent the wheel twice and not reuse the existing projects?

radiowc
2010-04-14, 18:56
Does this Petitioning thing really works or has any petition out there really get thru and become real.?? or just another thread.. Hmmm!

killerjay
2010-04-14, 19:00
i really loved mobiola on my n95 8gb..... i used it a lot, now i use my n95 as a security camera :) its great, id love this on my n900 as well! +1

Den in USA
2010-04-14, 19:07
there is already a project for the N800. it based on a apache port (for the device) and another lib.

why reinvent the wheel twice and not reuse the existing projects?

I have it installed on my N800, it's called "LiveCast". It may be at the Ovi Store for N900.

Den in USA
2010-04-14, 19:31
LiveCast turns your NIT into an IP video camera with sound. It will save a file either locally on your NIT on on a server at LiveCast.

Veix
2010-04-14, 20:04
QiK ? Can do live streaming to web.... not quite but also good :)

deion
2010-04-14, 22:43
Hy,
I'm the author of SmartCam, it's quite easy to port SmartCam to Maemo, just encode each frame with IJG JPEG and send it over the socket (bt or tcp). Anyone with an N900 on their hands should give it a try or borrow me yours !! RIGHT :)

Fredook
2010-04-15, 03:35
Hy,
I'm the author of SmartCam, it's quite easy to port SmartCam to Maemo, just encode each frame with IJG JPEG and send it over the socket (bt or tcp). Anyone with an N900 on their hands should give it a try or borrow me yours !! RIGHT :)

You can port your program to maemo?

deion
2010-04-15, 06:36
Yes, I'd love to port it, I just need a device.

troff76
2010-04-15, 09:09
This would be a great application for N900!

sjgadsby
2010-04-15, 09:25
The thread "Use N800 webcam as a Linux Desktop webcam" (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=26288) may be of interest to desktop Linux users following this topic. The method used with the N8x0 there appears likely to be close to what's needed for the N900.

sjgadsby
2010-04-15, 09:31
The thread "Petition n900 as webcam" with twenty-seven posts has been merged into this thread.

noobmonkey
2010-04-15, 09:44
Yes, I'd love to port it, I just need a device.

Could this be a use of one of the returned Summit devices? - Sorry if this has already been discussed - but i'm assuming Quim etc could clarify if it is at all possible to extend a loan to a developer? :D

KPAH
2010-04-29, 13:48
I don't understand why anyone want to install anything on the pc. Hate those idiotic bulky synchronization software like itunes or nokia pc suite, which do very little but garbage every inch of your system, esp. under Windows.
And now you talking actually new drivers and even more software!!

Why not go the orthodox way? All we need to do is setup a streaming jpeg/mjpeg server on the N900. The server should grab images from the camera and mic and stream them as mjpeg (or simply put as jpegs).
Then, on the PC you just use your video programme of choice, specifying the address of the remote camera (like, http://n900-ip/stream:port or http://n900-ip/cam.jpg) and you're done. A lot of IM and Surveillance programmes support remote cameras.
This will make the project fine and platform-independent.

If you want it wired, then you just mount n900 as NIC under Win or Linux, the same way as for wired SSH over usb.

gianni_mar
2010-04-29, 14:53
Anyone achived to make an easy to use application for windows to use the n900 as a wireless webcam?

I love this phone, but it looks like its soo difficult to develop apps for maemo 5

zaheerm
2010-06-02, 11:21
flumotion in extras-devel will let you create an http stream from your webcam. The one in extras-devel currently only supports ogg/theora/vorbis streaming but I will be putting one later in the week that does webm/vp8/vorbis and h264/aac/flv.

An example for now (note n900 cpu may be too slow really to do theora encoding):

flumotion-launch pipeline-producer pipeline=v4l2camsrc device=/dev/video1 ! theora-encoder ! ogg-muxer ! http-streamer port=8800 mount-point=/webcam.ogg

Please note that software in extras-devel is installed at your own risk!

zehjotkah
2010-06-02, 12:49
flumotion in extras-devel will let you create an http stream from your webcam. The one in extras-devel currently only supports ogg/theora/vorbis streaming but I will be putting one later in the week that does webm/vp8/vorbis and h264/aac/flv.

An example for now (note n900 cpu may be too slow really to do theora encoding):

flumotion-launch pipeline-producer pipeline=v4l2camsrc device=/dev/video1 ! theora-encoder ! ogg-muxer ! http-streamer port=8800 mount-point=/webcam.ogg

Please note that software in extras-devel is installed at your own risk!

are you planning to do a nice UI for this? Do you need help?

zaheerm
2010-06-02, 14:52
are you planning to do a nice UI for this? Do you need help?

There is a nice UI for this, look at: flumotion-admin you can also run this. The only issues are the assistant will not be able to work with the webcam on the n900, that I plan to fix soon.

handaxe
2010-06-20, 01:35
They're availabe here (http://arkenklo.net/stuff/maemo/scripts/). A brief explanation of ......

Server down? Any chance of an alternate?

HA

Turkishflavor
2010-06-22, 09:11
any new news?

hopla
2010-06-25, 14:41
Anyone tried this yet?

http://www.webcamxp.com

This tool claims to be able to read input from 'IP cameras' (using RTSP/MPEG4 or (M)JPEG) and present it as a DirectShow filter/virtual capture device.

The last bit is important, since most Windows applications that use video (like MSN etc) can (only) get their input from a DirectShow device.

Matching the output of the N900 to the capabilities of this tool should be easy with Gstreamer/VLC/... (I.e.: have gstreamer/vlc/... stream the camera images over rtsp).

It's definitely not opensource, but it seems a free version for personal use is available.
I'm just not really sure yet if it's legit :p

I sure would like to test it out during my VJ gig tonight, but won't risk destroying my XP install with possible spyware :-D
(I really have to start looking into Linux VJ tools)

hopla
2010-06-29, 21:16
I installed VLC succesfully from here: http://www.remlab.net/files/vlc/fremantle/

And I tried getting it to stream to my PC using many different mediums and codecs but I'm not having much success. I can't even get to open the stream on VLC on my PC.

Anyone here who had any success in streaming over RTSP with VLC?

danielz000
2010-07-08, 13:08
Hy,

Hi mate,

I might give that a go... I've only ever done minimal media programming in the past though...

As a starting point, could you confirm if my interpretation of what needs to happen is correct:

1) capture image on n900
2) encode image as a .jpg file
3) send the binary file data to the port SmartCam is listening on

does any EOF or BOF data need to be sent to SmartCam between frames?

johnel
2010-07-08, 13:36
Here's an obtuse suggestion!

Install a webserver (lighttpd (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=47502&highlight=lighttpd)).
Setup webserver to serve "camera" folder.
Point browser to n900's ip address and webserver port.

Probably a bit insane, but then people do say "No one in their right mind would right it like that" when they see my code!

danielz000
2010-07-09, 09:00
Haha! I'm glad your not writing an entire OS then! ;-)

As an update for everyone... I installed smartcam on my pc and tried following the instructions earlier which was to send jpegs to the server.

This didn't work, so I looked into it a bit more and it states that the system implemented the moving protocol. Reading into that the following is stated:

1) Connect
2) Server sends a small handshake
3) Client does a small reply
4) Client sends data constructed as follows:

byte
00 to 01: packet type
01 to 05: payload size (file data + 4 byte timestamp)
05 to 09: timestamp
09 to XX: file data

Unfortunately SmartCam doesn't seem to be initiating any handshake with the client so I assume it doesn't following the movino protocol 100%.

Also unfortunately, my N95 is broken so I can't get a packet sniffer going to see where I'm going wrong...

Could anyone else enlighten me on how the SmartCam client and server communicate?

Cheers,

Dan

karimko
2010-09-02, 20:34
Hello,

I'm not an expert by all means on all of this. But my aim is to try to get my N900 video camera streaming to my laptop and defined as a dev/video device on my linux box so i can use it with video chat.

Now after some research I tried 2 ways to achieve this but I hit deadends:

- I tried to stream an Rtp stream (using gst-launch) to my laptop and catch it using Mencode (saving it to dev/device0). The use of this method needs a video loopback device to be installed. Something like AVLD.

- Another thing I tried is sending a stream (using gst-launch) to my laptop and catching it with also a gst-launch command but this time i tried to use v4l2sink device=dev/device0.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I'm way too tired to fiddle with this some more (it's been 5 hrs :( )

Anyway if any of you peeps would like more info on what i tried to do, do ask :) Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Karimko

5spdvl
2010-11-05, 10:47
Why is no one interested in a "webcam" over USB? I feel that should be incorporated regardless. Utilise the N900 5Mp as a camera over USB for use with Skype etc.

Duy2anh
2010-12-01, 22:56
Why is no one interested in a "webcam" over USB? I feel that should be incorporated regardless. Utilise the N900 5Mp as a camera over USB for use with Skype etc.

Hi,
the fact is we do, but we haven't found a proper way to make use of this usefull function.
I also used Mobila Webcam to connect N95 to PC via bluetooth, wifi or USB. I miss this function so much when I move on to N900.

qole
2010-12-01, 23:16
Both the front and back cameras are V4L2 devices, and so VLC should be able stream from /dev/video0 or /dev/video1 (as should gstreamer, which is what the original poster was using). If anyone wants to share scripts, or has copies of the original poster's scripts, I can host them on qole.org for you...

EDIT: I think flumotion is probably a great way to get things working through gstreamer. I look forward to more encoding formats.

TiagoTiago
2010-12-07, 19:27
Setup LAN over USB and you should be able to use the same techniques already mentioned here for streaming over WiFi

hopla
2010-12-08, 20:55
Setup LAN over USB and you should be able to use the same techniques already mentioned here for streaming over WiFi
The problem is that the techniques mentioned for streaming over WiFi are good in theory but don't seem to work in practice!

(I would be delighted to be proven wrong however...)

zehjotkah
2010-12-16, 08:17
The problem is that the techniques mentioned for streaming over WiFi are good in theory but don't seem to work in practice!

(I would be delighted to be proven wrong however...)

I was able to stream via WiFi to my PC in Linux..
It's relatively easy..

hopla
2010-12-16, 12:34
I was able to stream via WiFi to my PC in Linux..
It's relatively easy..

Did you use gstreamer? Can you give us your exact commands?

Also: although I'm using Linux/Unix 99% of my time, I'm still interested to get it working on Windows for that other 1% :S

oleander
2010-12-16, 17:50
When I want to use gstreamer I am going to get an error in the dataflow and when I want to use gstreamer AND VLC, it will give me no stream and some ugly errors.

Can you post your exact commands?

zehjotkah
2010-12-17, 08:12
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=566136#post566136

You'll have to install gstreamer on your devices, of course...

hopla
2010-12-17, 16:22
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=566136#post566136

You'll have to install gstreamer on your devices, of course...

Dude, seriously, if that was the problem I wouldn't be posting here :D

beli
2011-01-02, 11:01
Hi all,

I managed to use the N900 camera stream to my PC as a webcam (that you can use in other programs such as Skype) on Ubuntu Linux.

It is pretty easy to do using gstreamer, the scripts allready available here and v4l2loopback.

Here is how to do it:

First on your PC install v4l2loopback kernel module and the gstreamer plugin gst-v4l2loopback. These are available on the following links:
https://v4l2loopback.googlecode.com/hg/
https://github.com/umlaeute/gst-v4l2loopback

Good instructions how to compile and run it can be found here:
http://www.kudanai.com/2010/11/howto-use-your-iphone-as-webcam-in.html

Once you get this up and running, on your device execute the following code (same as allready posted here)

gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! smokeenc ! udpsink host=192.168.1.255 port=1234

and then on your PC the following:

gst-launch udpsrc port=1234 ! smokedec ! ffmpegcolorspace ! v4l2loopback device=/dev/video0

You can use another /dev/videoX device if video0 is for example allready taken.

This will create a new videodevice that shows the N900 camera stream. Now in Skype you can select that video device and here you go!

titi974
2011-01-02, 11:17
it's nice man ! too bad it's only for linux... couldn't you do the same for windows ?? But thx man, it's great !

XenGi
2011-01-25, 21:54
windows isn't so userfriendly so it will be a bit difficult to make a solution.
the linux way is perfect. thanks for this.

lolloo
2011-01-28, 18:37
any way to do this on windows??

azkay
2011-02-02, 13:16
Any way to give it a higher birate through gstreamer or something?
Its got lots of pixelation.

Anyone got it working with ffdec_h264?
Everything I try on the n900 basically spits out: could not link videoscale/v4l2src/whatever to ffdec_h264

jaimex2
2011-02-02, 13:33
any way to do this on windows??

I noted the windows program Putty has options for it, might be worth a try.

azkay
2011-02-03, 06:44
Any way to give it a higher birate through gstreamer or something?
Its got lots of pixelation.

Anyone got it working with ffdec_h264?
Everything I try on the n900 basically spits out: could not link videoscale/v4l2src/whatever to ffdec_h264

Anyone?

Bumping thread up, cant see it on the first couple of pages

azkay
2011-02-04, 07:10
No one has tried higher quality streams? The furtherest I got was use jpegenc, the quality was great but I could figure out how to get it to /dev/video0, it would only show up in its own window.

XenGi
2011-02-04, 09:13
I noted the windows program Putty has options for it, might be worth a try.

What feature of putty did you mean? The only grafical feature that comes to my mind is X-forwarding.

azkay
2011-02-04, 22:22
I figured it out if anyone cares.

n900:
gst-launch v4l2camsrc device=/dev/video0 ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! dsph264enc ! rtph264pay ! udpsink host=192.168.2.14 port=1234

pc:
gst-launch-0.10 udpsrc port=1234 caps="application/x-rtp" ! rtph264depay ! ffdec_h264 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! v4l2loopback device=/dev/video0 sync=false

I get a small delay though and a weird green tint.
Can anyone else test it?

EDIT::
I changed it to use jpeg instead of h264, seems to a lot less delay, the tint is still there though.

n900:
gst-launch v4l2camsrc device=/dev/video0 ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! jpegenc ! rtpjpegpay ! udpsink host=192.168.2.14 port=1234

pc:
gst-launch-0.10 udpsrc port=1234 caps="application/x-rtp" ! rtpjpegdepay ! jpegdec ! ffmpegcolorspace ! v4l2loopback device=/dev/video0 sync=false

mrwormp
2011-02-11, 21:08
Still no break true yet for windows users

fri.K
2011-02-11, 21:26
Still no break true yet for windows users
But Linux is really easy to use so maybe try Ubuntu.

TiagoTiago
2011-02-12, 02:28
Doesn't the VLC player got a way to use it's output as the video feed of a virtual "webcam" ?

mveplus
2011-02-12, 03:49
Doesn't the VLC player got a way to use it's output as the video feed of a virtual "webcam" ?
I would like to ask the same :p

here (http://blog.pclewis.com/2010/02/streaming-nokia-n900-camera-to-vlc/) VLC stream but not tested.

tested - confirmed working with h264 codec on VLC player :rolleyes:

TiagoTiago
2011-02-12, 04:21
I haven't tried this yet, actually i didn't even knew about this one before finding it with Google, try at your own risk:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlvc/

edit: erm, sorry it seems it might not be what you're looking for....

nerobot
2011-02-16, 15:26
Hi,

Thanks for the great work. I can now get the video streaming via WIFI (though there is a bit of a green tint to the screen). Has anyone been able to get the camera to stream vie bluetooth yet. This would be much better for me to use.

Cheers for any help.

tetris11_
2011-03-06, 23:06
Hey guys,
I had a bit of a go at learning QT yesterday, and created an App for streaming video/audio from the N900 to VLC media player on the PC.

Here's the video showing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfU9uf-lOvQ

I made it as a sort of personal **** you to my Windows-fag mates to show them how awesome linux is!

It's pretty much just a frontend for gst-launch, but with less of the fiddly bits, and can even a generate the .sdp VLC file for your PC (ish).

All you need to do is type in the IP adress of your desktop, and choose whether you want audio or video. (You can also choose image size, front/back camera, etc.)

Hope you guys like it :)

handaxe
2011-03-06, 23:10
and...... it is available where to like? :)

tetris11_
2011-03-06, 23:42
Lol :D

There's one teeny tiny minor (possibly major) bug in it that doesn't stop the camera from streaming after you close the app.
(It starts as a new process that you have to manually kill yourself, which probably isnt that safe for the average user.)

But give it another week and I'll probably have that down, and then I'll release it for testing.

PS:
If anyone can help me with understanding how to terminate a QProcess on application exit, I'd really appreciate it!

Edit: Okay, kinda fixed the continuing streaming problem (but it still exists if you exit the app improperly).... gonna have a look at it later again
Edit2: Nope. Done, app seems to work well

gionni88
2011-03-07, 09:31
QProcess.kill or terminate stops the process but leave it in memory if the app is not run as root and from conky you still see the outgoing process. To solve it I get the PID from the started process and run QProcess::execute("sudo kill PID") when you stop the process or close the app. For the improperly exited app situation, you may try a sudo killall for gst-launch at mainwindow constructor to clean from previous process, if any.

gionni88
2011-03-07, 09:35
Also, which encode do you use? dsph264enc jpegenc?

tetris11_
2011-03-07, 10:25
Yeah lol, the sudo kill is pretty much what I did to stop it!

My main problem is the QCoreApplication::exit() thing which I dont understand, but I know is VERY neccesary for running a kill script before the application terminates....

And yep Im using dsph264enc for VLC at the moment, but I plan on giving the option for jpegenc, and smokeenc in the future.... (though there's no way smoke can be used through VLC)

gionni88
2011-03-07, 13:54
My main problem is the QCoreApplication::exit() thing which I dont understand, but I know is VERY neccesary for running a kill script before the application terminates....

The application closes when you click on the top right X of the top window(the one called in main function) inside the app, or the X in task manager, or when you call the function qApp->exit() (which is the inherited QCoreApplication::exit() you wrote; qApp is a global pointer to your QApplication istance) . When the app closes, the event loop handles all closing events, so you can put the kill all execution inside the main window destructor, MainWindow::~MainWindow() usually with QtCreator, to make it launch when the app is closing.

gionni88
2011-03-07, 14:04
Ah, another hint: if the stream is started before the camera lens cover, video will be without autofocus and auto white balance etc. You may add a banner at app start just to remind to open it if video streaming is planned to get used.

tetris11_
2011-03-07, 16:52
You may add a banner at app start just to remind to open it if video streaming is planned to get used. STOP READING MY MIND! :eek:

And total and complete thanks for the hints dude!
That streaming problem is now completely sorted! :D:D:D

I'm just gonna give it a few more run throughs, and tidy it up aesthetically abit, and I'll release it tomorrow!

Again, thanks ALOT man!

tetris11_
2011-03-07, 22:32
Okay, it's finished. The newest install is on the attachment.

Edit1: Do not use if you have kernel-power v46
Workaround: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=963806&postcount=152
Edit2: If the app appears to do nothing (i.e. no streaming), then make sure gst-tools, rootsh, and expect are installed on your phone.
"sudo apt-get install gst-tools rootsh expect"
Edit3: If it's crashing when you click "generatesdp", then launch the app from terminal "/usr/local/bin/tester" but not as root. Repeat NOT as root.

It's called PhoneStreamer in case you guys are looking for the icon after install.

If you are using this app for the first time (which I imagine it probably is for most of you guys), then push the "ShowDebugConsole" button and generate both an audio and video sdp file for your desktop.

In future, I plan to just SCP these files (n900videostrm.sdp, n900audiostrm.sdp) over to the desktop PC from within the app, but that's later.
After generating the sdp file, you can then click "Send sdp to Linux Desktop" if you are a linux user, where it will prompt you for username and password and then send it straight to your PC's desktop.

For now just play around with it: choose your settings -> hit stream -> open sdp file on desktop.
(then point your desktop webcam at your pc screen, maximise VLC, and show the people on AIM or MSN, the ups and downs of your neighbourhood or the state of your room or even the inside of your fridge....)

PS: BIG thanks to gionni88 who pointed me in the right direction and saved me from hoooours of painful work, and justice4all3000 for finding the workaround, and leetnoob who thoroughly tested it and found major bugs. Thanks guys!

0.0.3 Fixed: Bug where wrong sdp is generated, hopefully implemented workaround for titans power kernel.

latest deb:External Mirror (http://hotfile.com/dl/109494641/2e09cdc/tester_0.0.3_armel.deb.html)

justice4all3000
2011-03-08, 00:00
just installed it and i have been unable to connect to the stream any advice?

gionni88
2011-03-08, 09:43
Installed, and it works ofc. Good job!

Some points:

Do you kill the process directly? I guess you do, since the front camera indicator led doesn't shut down as it should. You have to stop it with terminate() and after few secs you kill it. In this way it has time to handle its own close events (like shutting down front camera led indicator).

Window title is "MainWindow", guess you have already realized it.

Settings don't get saved between one session and another one: you may use QSettings to do it.

Ui is fingerfoe: have you set a main layout in desiner? Top right corner (object subwindow) > right click on main window > layout> vertical layout.

ShowDebug button is not so needed, it can be swapped with maemo standard banners (QMaemo5InformationBox, and add QT += maemo5 in project file, than run qmake) to save space.

The calibrate window is in window style? Use a message box with detailed text instead (QMessageBox) to be more hildon oriented.

Binary is a bit big just to be a front end. Have you compiled it as release or debug?

Package is not optified, it installs in /usr/local/bin

tetris11_
2011-03-08, 11:57
just installed it and i have been unable to connect to the stream any advice?
Did you type in your desktop PC's IP address at the top, and then generate an sdp file for it? You have to copy that generated file onto your PC before you can stream anything.

lolloo
2011-03-08, 12:09
when clicking Generate sdp file, it freezes and craches.

tetris11_
2011-03-08, 12:25
Installed, and it works ofc. Good job!
Do you kill the process directly? I guess you do, since the front camera indicator led doesn't shut down as it should.

The led doesnt shut down? It does for me. And I kill it with a "killall gst-launch-0.10" command, which seems to work well... but yeah I dont terminate the QProcess....its gonna be tricky terminating from another function. I currently just use:
QProcess*proc = new QProcess();
proc->start(streamout);where streamout is just the string "gst-launch blah". How do I make proc accessible from another function? I've already tried adding "QProcess proc;" to the private slot in the header like I would with any other shared variable, but it doesnt work.

Settings don't get saved between one session and another one: you may use QSettings to do it. Ah yeah I forgot about that, that should be easy to do

Ui is fingerfoe: have you set a main layout in desiner? Yep, but the buttons stretched too big, so I set maximum policies on them..... guesss they're too small now huh? :-D

ShowDebug button is not so needed, it can be swapped with maemo standard banners (QMaemo5InformationBox, and add QT += maemo5 in project file, than run qmake) to save space. definitely, I just needed something to output to (Im not sure how to output to the qconsole...

The calibrate window is in window style? Use a message box with detailed text instead (QMessageBox) to be more hildon oriented.
Nope, it's actually a qwidget that lies over the mainwindow as hidden at startup. for some reason I can't hide it again, so I have to inefficiently QSize it to nothing....

Binary is a bit big just to be a front end. Have you compiled it as release or debug?
Package is not optified, it installs in /usr/local/bin It's debug, I didnt realise there was a difference.... and opt will not be a problem..

Thanks for the feedback man, I can't promise I'll get it done soon since I've been ignoring other work of mine... but hopefully in a few weeks...:D

Edit: I also forgot to add dependencies, and am now editing my control file....

tetris11_
2011-03-08, 12:35
when clicking Generate sdp file, it freezes and craches. Ah sorry, I think I know why that happens...
Can you print me the full readout of "sudo ifconfig" from your phone?
(do: "sudo ifconfig > /home/user/MyDocs/output.txt" and then copy that file)

ALSO: wow I cant believe I forgot to mention this:: you need to have gst-tools and rootsh installed before using this app. VERY IMPORTANT. I'm implementing this in now.

justice4all3000
2011-03-08, 13:52
yeah i entered my computers ip address and generated the sdp for it could it be a firewall or router issue?

tetris11_
2011-03-08, 14:32
well you need to post me the output so I can see what going on.
I think it crashes because you don't have rootsh installed on your system, so the "sudo ifconfig" command is not recognised.

Or if you do, then you have other connections other than "wlan0".

But I really need to see that output before I change anything.

CrckMc
2011-03-08, 21:37
hey thanks for your app but unfortunately it doesn't work for me either.
when i click on generate file it just crash.
theres no output.txt so heres what i get when i launch it from a root terminal:

Nokia-N900:~# tester
ASSERT failure in QList<T>::at: "index out of range", file /home/tetris11/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/sysroots/fremantle-arm-sysroot-20.2010.36-2-slim//usr/include/QtCore/qlist.h, line 455
Aborted

hope this helps you

tetris11_
2011-03-08, 22:26
Cheers, but Im fairly new at this and have no idea what that error means or what it references to...

Im pretty sure this is related to your ifconfig output, so can you just do:
"sudo ifconfig > /home/user/MyDocs/output.txt" on your device, then copy the output.txt here?

tetris11_
2011-03-08, 23:02
Okay Im getting that exact error message, but ONLY when I run the app with root priveleges...

It works fine if I launch it normally.... hmm....

@CrckMc + justice4all3000 - try launching the app from commandline: "/usr/local/bin/tester", and see if the problem persists... (but not as root)

justice4all3000
2011-03-08, 23:41
Okay Im getting that exact error message, but ONLY when I run the app with root priveleges...

It works fine if I launch it normally.... hmm....

@CrckMc + justice4all3000 - try launching the app from commandline: "/usr/local/bin/tester", and see if the problem persists... (but not as root)

still nothing appearing on vlc

leetnoob
2011-03-08, 23:43
my front camera led doesn't go off either. is there anyway to switch it off without rebooting the phone?

i didn't actually start up vlc on the pc, just tested things on the phone. should be a really nice app with a little bit more tweaking of the interface.

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 00:04
@leetnoob - it DOESNT? wow, Im so sorry man!
to kill the process run "killall gst-launch-0.10"

@justice - As for recieving the stream on your desktop, you need to generate the sdp file....but since for some reason that aint working, you can just do it manually:
v=0
m=video 5000 RTP/AVP 96
c=IN IP4 192.168.0.200
a=rtpmap:96 H264/90000

but instead of the 192.168.0.200, replace that with your N900's ipadress. Then save that text to something like "n900videostream.sdp" to your desktop pc.
Then stream from your phone, then launch the sdp file in vlc.

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 00:17

@justice - As for recieving the stream on your desktop, you need to generate the sdp file....but since for some reason that aint working, you can just do it manually:
v=0
m=video 5000 RTP/AVP 96
c=IN IP4 192.168.0.200

but instead of the 192.168.0.200, replace that with your N900's ipadress. Then save that text to something like "n900videostream.sdp" to your desktop pc.
Then stream from your phone, then launch the sdp file in vlc.

I managed to make the sdp file but still no luck at all are there any settings i need to tweak in vlc?

xur17
2011-03-09, 00:23
Any way to use this stream as a webcam?

Can we get audio and video simultaneously?

Nice app!

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 00:32
webcam...really no clue, dude - I kinda doubt it, but more experienced users would probably disagree with me.

as for audio+video simultaneous - really wish I knew how! I've looked though the gstreamer-tools documentation, and it just made my head spin. For now I'm relying on the work of others... so no audio+video together right now....

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 00:35
I managed to make the sdp file but still no luck at all are there any settings i need to tweak in vlc? hmm... as long as you gave the right IP, everything should be fine....

What IP address is your phone, and what IP is your desktop? Do you type the latter into the app before you stream? do you change the sdp file to have your phone's ip?

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 00:41
hmm... as long as you gave the right IP, everything should be fine....

What IP address is your phone, and what IP is your desktop? Do you type the latter into the app before you stream? do you change the sdp file to have your phone's ip?

I have my phone ip set as 192.168.1.109 and my desktop 192.168.1.100 (entered into the app settings before streaming) I have double checked the sdp file and it has my phones ip address in it

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 00:55
okay, apologies in advance for sounding like a complete douchebag, but just to check:
Restart your phone (gst sometimes fails to launch when it's crashed previously)

On your desktop, the sdp file reads:
v=0
m=video 5000 RTP/AVP 96
c=IN IP4 192.168.1.109

and on the app on your phone, you've chosen video (this wont work for audio) and the address reads:192.168.1.100, and port reads: 5000.

Then you've clicked stream. After that you've opened the sdp file on your desktop with VLC.

Can you confirm all that in that order?
Again apologies for sounding like a douchebag, I just want to be 100% sure.

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 01:11
okay, apologies in advance for sounding like a complete douchebag, but just to check:
Restart your phone (gst sometimes fails to launch when it's crashed previously)

On your desktop, the sdp file reads:
v=0
m=video 5000 RTP/AVP 96
c=IN IP4 192.168.1.109

and on the app on your phone, you've chosen video (this wont work for audio) and the address reads:192.168.1.100, and port reads: 5000.

Then you've clicked stream. After that you've opened the sdp file on your desktop with VLC.

Can you confirm all that in that order?
Again apologies for sounding like a douchebag, I just want to be 100% sure.

ok I just followed your instructions precisely and I also tried booting with a stock kernel, tried a different computer (changed ip for it) still it wont stream for me!

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 01:38
Ah jeez, Im sorry man.
This is beyond me, I wish I knew what was going wrong...
Just uninstall the app before it causes more havoc to your system, and have a go playing around with gst-launch from commandline, as shown in this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=936369&postcount=94

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 01:56
Ah jeez, Im sorry man.
This is beyond me, I wish I knew what was going wrong...
Just uninstall the app before it causes more havoc to your system, and have a go playing around with gst-launch from commandline, as shown in this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=936369&postcount=94

all good thanks for all your help I will keep playing around with it I will let you know if I get it working

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 02:55

nope.. led stays on, gst-launch isn't actually running before the killall. bizzare. i am using power kernel v46 . it does make me wonder if components of the back camera stay running when that's used...

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 03:03
Hmm! Now that could be something!
I'm not using power-kernel, and that maybe the reason for the problems both you and justice4all300 are having....

For now I recommend you uninstall the app before it starts streaming without you knowing.....

@justice4all3000 - are you also using Titan's power kernel?

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 03:15
Hmm! Now that could be something!
I'm not using power-kernel, and that maybe the reason for the problems both you and justice4all300 are having....

For now I recommend you uninstall the app before it starts streaming without you knowing.....

@justice4all3000 - are you also using Titan's power kernel?

yes I am but i did try using the stock kernel to see if it made a difference

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 03:15
actually, now i remember. when using a power kernel you have to download different fcam camera drivers as the normal fcam drivers don't work with a power kernel (i.e power kernel 'breaks' your camera). so, even if you revert to a stock kernel you will still probably have the 'newer' fcam drivers. i haven't tried receiving the stream on my pc vlc yet so don't know if it streams, it looks like it's working though as far as the phone side goes.

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 03:33
YES! That sounds like it could be it!
But I have no idea why gstreamer cant use these new drivers...

Well I dont want to break anyone's camera.... I reckon if you guys have power-kernel, you'd better uninstall the app just in case.

But thanks for the feedback all the same!

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 03:46
ok, i can confirm that it DOESNT work for me as well. probably something to do with the power kernel fcam drivers. bummer, it seemed like a useful thing to have. :-(

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 04:16
one possible solution which i'm not going to try but would probably work is to uninstall

blessn900
fcamera
fcam drivers

this may be an issue with these third party apps and not so much the power kernel itself.

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 04:18
one possible solution which i'm not going to try but would probably work is to uninstall

blessn900
fcamera
fcam drivers

this may be an issue with these third party apps and not so much the power kernel itself.

I dont think it they are the cause I dont use any of those apps

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 04:26
I dont have any those apps or that kernel, so you might have to try that yourself and tell me how it goes...

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 06:26
Made a new release, fixes a few major bugs, but I'm not sure if it will solve the kernel problem at all....

It comes with a new feature, that automatically sends the sdp file to your linux dekstop PC.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=962776&postcount=110

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 06:38
I dont think it they are the cause I dont use any of those apps

deinstalled them, upgraded vlc to latest version and still not working.. vlc gives the error 'no data received in 10s , aborting'

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 07:00
its working for me now with the new version all I had to do is manually create the sdp file!

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 07:00
Yay! Awesome! What did you think of it? Is the "Send sdp file to desktop" feature working well for you?

Also I was wondering if you could confirm something for me....
can you tell me what "sudo apt-cache depends tester" produces?

@leetnoob - try the new release too, and see if that helps...

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 07:09
Made a new release, fixes a few major bugs, but I'm not sure if it will solve the kernel problem at all....

It comes with a new feature, that automatically sends the sdp file to your linux dekstop PC.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=962776&postcount=110

installed the new version. front camera led now goes off. not sure if it's due to removal of fcam stuff or new version of software. still not working, vlc says it's not receiving any data.. when i run the software the cpu goes to 100%, is that normal? if so the software appears to be working to some degree. pc can ping n900, and visa versa. not 100% convinced this is a kernel issue, but that is what seems to be in common..

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 07:12
its working for me now with the new version all I had to do is manually create the sdp file!

are you still running with just a stock kernel?

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 07:17
"sudo apt-cache depends tester" brought nothing up for me

im not on linux atm so i havn't tested the send sdp to desktop yet I did notice when trying create the sdp file in the newer version when i selected video it would for some reason create an audo sdp

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 07:25
are you still running with just a stock kernel?

just tried it with titans power kernel and it doesn't work, the audio does work with it though

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 07:33
just tried it with titans power kernel and it doesn't work, the audio does work with it though though

ok, thanks. pity it would have been nice. so power kernel users are out of luck.

justice4all3000
2011-03-09, 07:43
ok I have found a workaround that will work with both kernels there seems to be a bug with streaming with the back camera to get around it just follow these steps (assuming you have already created the sdp files)

with the app open select audio
then select video
select front camera
start streaming (test with vlc)
stop streaming
then select back camera
start streaming

this worked for me in the new version

CrckMc
2011-03-09, 09:25
your workaround worked for me too, thank you

EDIT:

after playing a bit with the app i have to say its brilliant!
really really good and useful.

thanks again tetris :)

EDIT2:

One question:
why do we have to enter the pc ip adress? is this for security or do you have to start the stream for this ip? i would like to have remote access to my stream but then it would have to work with dynamic ips

EDIT3:

Ok found out its for the udpsink connection (?) so is there any way to make this accessible to more than one ip?

lolloo
2011-03-09, 12:16
sorry , but what do you think problem here?
http://img.techpowerup.org/110309/Capture2435.jpg

CrckMc
2011-03-09, 12:32
you have to install expect with apt-get

"apt-get install expect" schould do the trick at least it worked for me

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 16:17
@justice4all -dude you are a ****ing life-saver you know that!?! :D
If that's all that's required for the app to work, then I can probably perform those same workarounds from within the app!!
You sir, are a prince!

so is there any way to make this accessible to more than one ip? Yes! it is possible, but dont expect anything too soon!

@lolloo - yeah that's a dependency problem I need to work on.
When expect is uninstalled - tester is too, but for some reason when tester is installed - it doesn't install expect......

yet I did notice when trying create the sdp file in the newer version when i selected video it would for some reason create an audo sdp Yeah I haven't solved this problem yet, but I think I know how. Just click on the video/audio combobox again, and it should correct itself.

gionni88
2011-03-09, 16:54
Depends: expect

in control file to add the dependencie. But what is this expect doing?
The app is working, even with version 1, and I have power-kernel. Ofc I start the stream first and the vlc file second.

Btw, I guess it's better to open a proper topic about the app and move the discussion about it there.

To use it as webcam, there is a post in this topic about using a software to get a portion of the screen as webcam.

leetnoob
2011-03-09, 17:01
EDIT2:

One question:
why do we have to enter the pc ip adress? is this for security or do you have to start the stream for this ip? i would like to have remote access to my stream but then it would have to work with dynamic ips

uh.. just to be clear, do we enter the ip address of the n900 or the remote pc?

handaxe
2011-03-09, 17:13
Nice job tetris11_! I run the power kernel and for whatever reason, I don't need any work around....

tnx and kudos to your productive learning curve...

handaxe
2011-03-09, 17:13
uh.. just to be clear, do we enter the ip address of the n900 or the remote pc?

Remote PC.

handaxe
2011-03-09, 17:16
Btw, I guess it's better to open a proper topic about the app and move the discussion about it there.

I second this. tetris11_ perhaps post an "Announce" thread...?

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 18:29
Okay hopefully I've implemented justice4all3000's workaround correctly for the power-kernel..... and I think I've fixed the bug which generated the wrong sdp file...

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 18:30
Ah yeah I was thinking that too.
If there are any admins willing to split the thread from post #110, I'd be really grateful

rm42
2011-03-09, 19:52
Ah yeah I was thinking that too.
If there are any admins willing to split the thread from post #110, I'd be really grateful

It may be better to start a new thread. Why confuse people with issues that have already been resolved?

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 20:16
okay okay I get the hint...hang on let me see what the proper protocol for doing this is....

tetris11_
2011-03-09, 20:50
There: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70877

/thread hijack

gsever
2011-07-15, 23:35
Hi all,

I managed to use the N900 camera stream to my PC as a webcam (that you can use in other programs such as Skype) on Ubuntu Linux.

It is pretty easy to do using gstreamer, the scripts allready available here and v4l2loopback.

Here is how to do it:

First on your PC install v4l2loopback kernel module and the gstreamer plugin gst-v4l2loopback. These are available on the following links:
https://v4l2loopback.googlecode.com/hg/
https://github.com/umlaeute/gst-v4l2loopback

Good instructions how to compile and run it can be found here:
http://www.kudanai.com/2010/11/howto-use-your-iphone-as-webcam-in.html

Once you get this up and running, on your device execute the following code (same as allready posted here)

gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! smokeenc ! udpsink host=192.168.1.255 port=1234

and then on your PC the following:

gst-launch udpsrc port=1234 ! smokedec ! ffmpegcolorspace ! v4l2loopback device=/dev/video0

You can use another /dev/videoX device if video0 is for example allready taken.

This will create a new videodevice that shows the N900 camera stream. Now in Skype you can select that video device and here you go!

I am wondering if this instructions tested on USB networking? Anybody?

slackmagic
2012-01-01, 20:26
Kudos tetris11_ for all the work there provided! This is the kind of reason why n900 still beats any phone out there imho.

Here are my specs: I'm running
- latest stable kernel-power (1:2.6.28-10power49)
- photostream: 0.9.3
- fcam drivers installed

N900 is overclocked at 1,150Mhz stable (always). Never had an issue in terms of crashes/random reboots whatsoever. That was until I attempted to work with photostream and in general use back or front camera for streaming.

When attempting to stream through photostream for VLC, n900 seems to hang (possibly due to inproper voltage) and restart on its own complaining that OC has failed and that it loaded the default settings.

So, after playing around a bit with different kernel-power profiles, I am stable with lv on 1000Mhz constant frequency (kernel-config limits 1000 1000). I'm able to stream through the back camera just fine, however, I do seem to have a greenish tint.

Anyone figure out what the cause might be? I've only managed to get a "proper" ungreenish tint stream twice and I can't seem to reproduce it for some odd reason. No matter what resolution I go with, or if I entirelly leave out kernel-power / OCing on n900, it still only comes out with a somewhat greenish tint. I have attempted to remove fcam drivers for testing purposes also to see if that was the cause, but unfortunately that didn't fix the greenish tint either.

I'd be grateful for any hints on getting that greenish tint removed.

Note: I've rebooted n900 several times to assure there wasn't an issue caused right after a failed oced n900 too

bvaibhav
2012-05-09, 16:31
Hi All,

Till now I have managed to get my n900 to work as a webcam for skype, but I want to have the audio from N900's mic routed to skype.

Please tell me whether it is possible.

This post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=865794&postcount=19) seems to do that, but how to integrate it with skype...???