PDA

View Full Version : GPRS / EDGE / 2G data connections dropping during, or blocking, voice calls

schlinkey
2009-12-11, 18:39
Got a weird bug. When I make a phone call while using edge (2,5g), the connection is lost. This does not happen when I'm using 3g. Anyone else notice this?

Ghule
2009-12-11, 18:42
I noticed that my edge turns itself off when I go to make a call. I am with AT&T so all I have is edge.

hitec
2009-12-11, 18:42
I think that is normal for edge. 3g works on a different set of frequencies than voice. I am new to GSM myself but in the CDMA world you can not do data and voice at the same time.

neowolf
2009-12-11, 18:45
That's behavior as normal for edge, and one of the features of 3G. If anything I've noticed that my N900 is more verbose about it's network status than any phone I've had before.

go1dfish
2009-12-11, 18:48
Yes this is quite normal, Edge operates over the same frequencies as GSM voice so you can't do both at once.

A wifi or 3g connection will persist though (I called my mom while downloading my debian chroot image for instance)

schlinkey
2009-12-11, 18:50
Ahaa. never noticed it on other phones before. But as you say, the n900 announces it.

Thanks!

sljonson
2009-12-11, 19:35
Yeah. It's standard behaviour on GSM/EDGE situations. GSM 3G allows both data and voice at the same time. Verison and Sprint have the same problem even on their 3G networks. No voice and data at the same time.

wierdo
2009-12-11, 19:41
Some networks/phones are capable of doing simultaneous voice and data on EDGE, but it's not supported by many networks or many phones. (It requires the network to carefully schedule the voice and data timeslots for the particular phone on the same radio channel)

I don't know if the N900 has support for it or not. Not that any US networks support it anyway (for those of us in the US).

tso
2009-12-11, 19:41
with edge (basically a upped bandwidth version of gprs, itself a packet variation on gsm) you also risk that if your doing a extended data transfer, and someone tries to call, they cant reach you.

that, or the transfer will, if possible, suspend, and the call get through, or in the worst case the transfer will fail and need restarting...

tso
2009-12-11, 19:50
Some networks/phones are capable of doing simultaneous voice and data on EDGE, but it's not supported by many networks or many phones. (It requires the network to carefully schedule the voice and data timeslots for the particular phone on the same radio channel)

I don't know if the N900 has support for it or not. Not that any US networks support it anyway (for those of us in the US).

sounds to me like such a setup would take up the equivalent of two calls in the cell one is connected to at the moment, not surprising if not many operators make said feature available, if it exists (first i have heard of it).

wierdo
2009-12-11, 20:09
sounds to me like such a setup would take up the equivalent of two calls in the cell one is connected to at the moment, not surprising if not many operators make said feature available, if it exists (first i have heard of it).
Well, it actually takes up far more than one call, as do most EDGE data transfers. It's not unusual for a carrier to limit any particular device to 4 download timeslots and 1 upload, even when they are capable of more.

So really, when compared to a normal transfer, the extra timeslot taken up by the voice call isn't much.

Personally, I'd be happy with 3+1 and voice. (that would limit you to about 170Kbps downstream in ideal conditions, or 100 more realistically)

The feature is called dual transfer mode, btw.

Edited to add: And having just looked it up, N900 supports it.

tso
2009-12-11, 20:12
well thats interesting, makes one wonder why they went with UMTS in the first place ;)
(except for maybe the lower latency that is)

nashith
2009-12-11, 20:13
The N900 is a Class A, Multislot Class 32 device. So it can support simultaneous voice and data. I think the problem with you is the operator. We have two operators, one supports simultaneous voice and data, other doesn't. So the problem is not EDGE or N900, it's most likely the operator.

rewt
2009-12-11, 20:55
According to the specs provided by Nokia (http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/), the N900 is a class A EDGE/GPRS device (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Packet_Radio_Service#Hardware). Forum Nokia (http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900/) lists that it also supports DTM Class 11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Transfer_Mode). I suspect it is not truly class A, as that would require two GSM radios, but rather only class A DTM. If that is the case, the operator's equipment must support DTM to maintain a data session concurrent with voice.

Botev1912
2009-12-11, 21:01
it's normal. When i used n95 the same thing happened

johanjpk
2009-12-22, 12:35
Hi,

I experience that the N900 is not reachable because of an active GPRS connection. I prefer having phonecalls over data, how does this work? And can I change this preference?

Best regards,

Johan

NuMetal
2009-12-22, 12:50
I've no problems receiving calls with an active GRPS Connection.

floffe
2009-12-22, 12:55
I'm not sure that is fixable on 2G (including EDGE)

pycage
2009-12-22, 13:12
AFAIK dropping GPRS connections automatically for incoming calls on 2G (3G can handle both simultaneously) is the carrier's responsibility.

My N900 always drops GPRS/EDGE connections when a call comes in (T-Mobile D), so this can't be related to the phone software.

tso
2009-12-22, 13:13
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36774

sjgadsby
2009-12-22, 13:34
Threads merged.

johanjpk
2009-12-22, 16:04
I've no problems receiving calls with an active GRPS Connection.

NuMetal,

I've tested it this way.

Create an IM account and set this account online and than place a call from an other phone to the N900. Connection will not be disconnected.

Set the IM client offline. Disable automatic email checking an other applications that can generate trafic. Then place a call from an other phone to the N900. The connection will be disconnected.

I don't think this is network dependend, maybe some of you could try.

It is only with 2G not with 3G or 3.5G.

I'm connected trough Vodafone (NL). I just called the Vodafone professional helpdesk and they told me it is phone dependant.

BR

Johan

Alex Atkin UK
2009-12-23, 00:27
I can confirm on O2 - UK connected to 2G with IM online I got voicemail instead of the phone ringing as expected.

So far I have been lucky to mostly be connected to 3G when out of the house and always connected to WiFi at home. However I have at least one friend whose house drops me to 2G so it will be a real problem as I will have to consider staying offline there unless this is fixed. I need to be contactable at all times as my mum is disabled.

benipres
2009-12-24, 16:17
I have a problem that when I am browsing the internet no one can call me on my phone number. Only when i close the internet i start receiving the calls. Can someone help me by giving me a hint?
thanks

floffe
2009-12-24, 19:42
I have a problem that when I am browsing the internet no one can call me on my phone number. Only when i close the internet i start receiving the calls. Can someone help me?
Sounds like you're on a 2G network (GPRS or EDGE) and they don't disconnect your data connection for incoming calls (2G can only handle one of those at a time). Contact your network operator.

sjgadsby
2009-12-24, 20:01
Posts moved into thread.

johanjpk
2009-12-28, 10:25
Sounds like you're on a 2G network (GPRS or EDGE) and they don't disconnect your data connection for incoming calls (2G can only handle one of those at a time). Contact your network operator.

I'm pretty confident that the problem is in the phone and not the network. I'll try today with an G1 on the Vodafone network so I can confirm this.

BR,

Johan

johanjpk
2009-12-28, 10:41
I'm pretty confident that the problem is in the phone and not the network. I'll try today with an G1 on the Vodafone network so I can confirm this.

BR,

Johan

I've tried this:
G1 on Vodafone: same problem
E71 on T-mobile: works like it should
P1i on Vodafone: same problem

So I think now that it is a network issue.

BR,

Johan

johanjpk
2009-12-28, 16:05
I've issued a ticket at Vodafone. I'll let you know about the results.

BR

Johan

jorjino
2010-01-01, 10:58
Hello guys and Happy New Year!

I wish all of you good health and success!

When I am using my new N900 I found a specific issue:

When I am traveling I am using from time to time N900 as a modem.
When I start using the Internet and someone is calling me in the same moment the Internet access stops and I can only make or reject the call. After the making/rejecting the call it tooks a little more time to connect again the Internet.

In my previous mobile - E90 I can make calls and surfing in Internet simultaneously.

What do you thing - it will be possible to fix my issue within some of the nexts software updates?

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

biggzy
2010-01-01, 11:00
If your only on a 2G net connection then this is normal for nokias, but if your on a 3/3.5G connection then you should be able to do both at the same time.

jorjino
2010-01-01, 11:04
Hello biggzy!
Thanks for quick reply!
I am using preferably 2G and with E90 I do not have problems at all.

Regards.

onutz
2010-01-01, 13:46
it's because browser cache, not because of data protocols

sjgadsby
2010-01-01, 14:39
Threads merged.

tso
2010-01-01, 16:42
Hello biggzy!
Thanks for quick reply!
I am using preferably 2G and with E90 I do not have problems at all.

Regards.

same network/operator? either the E90 has two gsm radios, or the network you used your E90 on allows DMT while the one your N900 is on do not.

i sure wish there was a way for the phone to notify the user about this, so one could point to a message or something, rather then a lot of guesswork...

jorjino
2010-01-01, 18:11
The network operator is same - Mtel in Bulgaria.

When I used to use E90 all my colleagues using Nokias, but no E-series suffered from same problem- even one of them (I think it was Nokia 6600) when you are surfing and call cames the mobile stops his Network Connection ( via PC Suite).
So I think it is was software issue in the past.

For me it can be solved with update, because N900 has very powerfull hardware.
I was told that E90 can make both calls and Internet access because it has a dual core prosessor.

Regards.

TA-t3
2010-01-01, 20:16
Dual core shouldn't matter. It's GPRS itself that limits transmission to either data or phone, not both at the same time. No CPU can fix that, only dual-GSM (two radios) can, as tso said.
EDIT: Update: Not entirely true, see link in tso's post below.

Exactly how the phone behaves (i.e. automatically stall the network connection and accept the call, or reject the call, or whatever, would be a software issue. Maybe the different behaviour you see is down to that.)

tso
2010-01-01, 20:48
Dual core shouldn't matter. It's GPRS itself that limits transmission to either data or phone, not both at the same time. No CPU can fix that, only dual-GSM (two radios) can, as tso said.
except, as i myself was corrected on earlier in the thread, DTM (i incorrectly called it DMT earlier).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gprs#Hardware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Transfer_Mode

note that this requires the support of the mobile network, as it needs to coordinate that end so that one get an acceptable mix of data and voice traffic.

TA-t3
2010-01-01, 20:52
Thanks for the link, very useful. I wasn't aware of that feature.

tso
2010-01-01, 20:54
nor was i when it was first mentioned. altho i am not surprised at it seems to be fairly recent (2007) feature, and one that seems to be poorly marketed compared to HSPA support (funny that, as GSM/GPRS seems to be highly adaptable to new usage scenarios).

jorjino
2010-01-01, 21:17
Thabks for the links.

So, if I understood correct:
I can use in the same time Internet downloads and calls when I switch to 3G or 3,5G?

But why my E90 does not needs this switching and can work simultaneously?
Regards.

tso
2010-01-01, 21:30
did a bit of checking, and the E90 is a class A gprs device. That means, it had two GSM radios in there, so one could handle the data while the other did the call:
http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-e90-communicator/specifications

the N900 on the other hand use DTM, effectively the same using a single radio, and your operator do not support that in their network.

funny, the E90 supports both class A and DTM, apparently. Now i want to see nokia do a E900 :D

jorjino
2010-01-01, 21:38
tso,

Thanks for reply.
That`s my point - I think that N900 can do this but maybe at this moment the current firmware is not well "polished".
I hope Nokia will bring us an answer.
Regards.

nashith
2010-01-01, 21:43
@tso, two GSM radios? are you sure? I don't think so, I had an E90 for years, simultaneous voice+data works with one operator and fails on the other. The same is for N900, it's not the phone, it's the operators for me. Class A, Multislot 32 device doesn't mean it has two radios.

jorjino
2010-01-01, 21:49
nashith,

In my old E90 and now in N900 I am using one and the same SIM card, so the operator is only one in my case.
Regards.

tso
2010-01-01, 22:08
@tso, two GSM radios? are you sure? I don't think so, I had an E90 for years, simultaneous voice+data works with one operator and fails on the other. The same is for N900, it's not the phone, it's the operators for me. Class A, Multislot 32 device doesn't mean it has two radios.
ok, can be i called it a bit quick there, as i see nokia also mentions class A for the N900. In that case, color me confused.

hell, as i dig into the N900 specs, i can no longer find any mention of DTM, while the E90 specs clearly mentions it. color me confused, squared...

nashith
2010-01-01, 22:40
@jorjino, I still strongly feel the problem is related to operator, maybe they haven't activated a service for your new device. This has happened to me twice before while traveling abroad, a quick call to CS fixed it. Can you please call them ask their customer service why you are being kicked off the GPRS/3G data path whenever a call comes in.

jorjino
2010-01-01, 22:46
@nashith,

I will try to call customer service and will let you know.
I hope you are right.
Regards.

flyskyhigh
2010-01-03, 15:33
I have the same problem in the Czech Republic using N900 and T-Mobile. I have tried that with E50 and have no issue to get incoming call while browsing. with N900 i become unavailable. I prefer having a call and connections dropped, otherwise I can,t be online..

Reading this thread I cannot figurde out why is that? Why one nokia phone can handle the situation and N900 cannot? On the same network.. Has anybodz got insight deep enough to explain please?

loranth
2010-01-03, 16:46
For all those who preferred incoming calls interrupting the data transfer, you might be out of luck, as our dear friends using iPhone's have noticed a while ago.

There is a thing called 'Network Mode of Operation' in GPRS, which basically dictates the behavior in this case, what happens when an incoming call comes and you have a data connection active.

The quickest link I now found is below, however it is not the best one, try googling more if you are interested.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115034-233.html

The basic idea though is that there are three different modes, NOM1, NOM2 and NOM3. And NOM1 and NOM3 are good, NOM2 are bad in case of the dropping calls as the NOM2 can't signal the data channel that there is incoming call...

And for example AT&T here in U.S. uses mostly NOM2 networks, I do not know what mode T-Mobile uses, but 3G works on that, so no problems. In Finland the networks are either NOM1 or NOM3, etc depending on operators, and so on..

ps. waiting for my phone number to switch to T-Mobile, can't live without my N900 nor my incoming calls...

saadgadit
2010-01-13, 09:31
Hi All,

I'm doing a bit of research about I m facing with my N900, especially here in Pakistan- incoming calls cant reach despite strong signal, and delayed incoming texts.

If you're on 3G you can receive incoming calls and SMS messages while you are in the middle of using 3G data - simultaneous voice and data is part of the 3G UMTS spec. So it should never happen on 3G. Great so far.

However if you are on GPRS (circle) or EDGE (E) the spec does not allow for simultaneous calls and data - if you make an outgoing call an existing data session will be terminated until the end of the call.

But what happens if you're using data on GPRS/EDGE first (browsing a web page, checking maps etc) and an incoming call comes in, will you receive the call or not ? Answer: probably not, depending on the phone network!

I have SIM's for all the major phone networks in Pakistan and I've tested all of them and they ALL go DEAD(i.e. my mobile phone acts as its powered off) while it is using GPRS/EDGE data. Also SMS messages don't go through, and are delayed a considerable amount of time.

This is the same issue as in Iphone for quite some time now. Anyone can test it. Open safari and start loading a large website that will keep the browser busy for some time and let the page start loading. Now ring the phone from another phone. Does it go straight DEAD? Also if possible try sending it text messages during this period and see if they are delayed.

Approximately one minute after closing Safari you should be able to ring through to the phone again. (It takes about a minute for an idle GPRS/EDGE session to be closed)

Can you also please find the value for "Network Operating Mode" for the GPRS network. To do this, go into field test mode by dialing *3001#12345#* from the phone app keypad then pressing call, then go to GSM Cell Environment -> GPRS Information, and scroll down to "Network Operating Mode" and take note of the number, which could be 001, 002, or 003. (Most likely 002)

And other information I've been reading, there is more than one possible mode a GPRS/EDGE phone network can be configured in, 001 and 002 being the most common. In mode 001 if an incoming call occurs during data use the data session will be terminated and the call will come through. In mode 002, the call will go straight DEAD. Apparently most networks still use mode 002!

Not only can this be caused by actively using an app such as safari, but background mail checks and push notifications will cause it as well! So if your phone is lying there unattended and it happens to do it's 30 minute (or whatever) mail check just before someone tries to call you - DEAD!

Coming back to N900, having push notifications enabled is even worse, because it tries to keep an active data session as much as possible, and re-establishes this connection every time the data connection is interrupted.

One good example of this is if you have push notifications active, try making or receiving a call, hang up, and call the phone back within a minute or so of the previous call - DEAD!

The reason is that the GPRS/EDGE connection was interrupted by the first call, so when the call ended the phone immediately tries to re-establish the push data connection, and on a slow connection this takes up to a minute to do and then go idle before the phone can receive another incoming call

Regards,
Saad Gadit

Snaps
2010-01-13, 09:32
Hi Saad,

Dont know what your issue is but I can receive called on GPS or Edge without any problems

saadgadit
2010-01-13, 09:53
Dear Snaps
Thnks for the quik feedback .. the problem is simple.. wenever the data is on course of uploading, calls donít get through. Like while signing on skype or other services or maybe when authenticating from my end for PUSH mail.. thatís the time when calls or sms cant get through..

Snaps
2010-01-13, 10:04
Dear Snaps
Thnks for the quik feedback .. the problem is simple.. wenever the data is on course of uploading, calls donít get through. Like while signing on skype or other services or maybe when authenticating from my end for PUSH mail.. thatís the time when calls or sms cant get through..

Its a strange issue that Ive never heard of. I can receive calls whenever I do these things. Its a multitasking phone, and Maemo 5 just minimises the current app, for me to take the call. Maybe other users can help you

:)

floffe
2010-01-13, 10:12
Snaps: It's not a phone issue but dependent on network settings. It seems many networks around the world keep the data connection open at the price of calls not going through, rather than dropping the data connection to let the call get priority.

saad: What happens if you set the phone to always ask before connecting?

schawlaf
2010-01-13, 10:19
Saad I'm also in Pakistan and facing the same problems on Warid , right now I've discontinued my international roaming and got call waiting activated ( it does not work with Int'l roaming on ) the problem seem to have solved

saadgadit
2010-01-13, 11:37
Saad I'm also in Pakistan and facing the same problems on Warid , right now I've discontinued my international roaming and got call waiting activated ( it does not work with Int'l roaming on ) the problem seem to have solved

Dear Schawlaf
Thnks for the kind feedback dude.. sounds a bit dumb.. but wat I get get from ur reply is u activated intl roaming in Pakistan?? Btw m using telenor.. not getting how call forwarding can help (by default, call waiting is already active)

SubCore
2010-01-13, 13:18
This is the same issue as in Iphone for quite some time now.

If you have this issue on other phones as well, i'd say the problem lies with your carrier(s), not with the phones.

did you contact one of your telcom companies? maybe they can shed more light on this.

deadmalc
2010-01-13, 13:38
I've noticed this problem when on a 2G network (edge).
Normally the data connection gets dropped and the voice call comes through, but sometimes I just don't get the call.

I think there should be an option to only connect to the internet on 3G. I know you can lock to 3G, but does this prevent incoming calls if there is no 3G connectivity and only 2G?

Fortunately in the UK the 3G/3.5G coverage is pretty good...but it does sometimes (even in the centre of Leeds) drop to 2G

:confused:

deadmalc
2010-01-21, 21:06
would it be feasable to have an app that disconnects the internet if you go on a 2G link then reconnects on 3G?
ive missed a few calls because of this already and it is becoming annoying.

BTW im with tmobile uk

rambo
2010-01-21, 21:31
would it be feasable to have an app that disconnects the internet if you go on a 2G link then reconnects on 3G?
ive missed a few calls because of this already and it is becoming annoying.

I'd guess the radio interface will emit DBus signals on status changes, if this is the case then it's relatively simple, make a program that listens for those signals and then does the network connect/disconnect accordingly.

icd_dbus_test.py (http://vcs.maemo.org/svn/mobilehotspot/trunk/src/icd_dbus_test.py) has some python code for talking with ICD (note: it's my personal test script so it might do different things from time to time), see also http://www.qaiku.com/go/56ho for enabling eavesdropping on the DBus (for reverse-engineering stuff that either is not documented or is documented wrong...)

noelsolutions
2010-02-07, 02:46
add me to the list too. I was a long time E90 users and was never faced with this problem but i have had it with different phones with the same operator. I have been doing some testing I have activated the data and setup a continuous ping with a larger packets and left it running, also i have have launched the browser and gave it a big webpage to load with a lot of flash.

3G data connection is still activated and calls go through the odd one got rejected probably as I wasn't giving the phone a break lol.

I then force the phone to use 2G and with the same results

All below had problems.
Tmobile
Vodafone
o2

I did this about 10 times on each network. A few times data disconnected red cross and the phone rung. Other times straight through to voicemail. There has to be something setup or a fix for this as this is becoming a deal breaker for me as much as I love the phone not all my locations I am in have good reception.

Venomrush
2010-02-09, 18:17
To do this, go into field test mode by dialing *3001#12345#* from the phone app keypad then pressing call, then go to GSM Cell Environment -> GPRS Information, and scroll down to "Network Operating Mode"

This isn't even possible on the N900 yet.

hermitoz
2010-02-12, 18:33
So this is why people suddenly stopped calling me:P Haha, I had realized that if i had an active data session I was unable to recieve calls, however SMS seemed to work.
I mostly use GPRS to conserve battery, it's really unneccessary with 3G for IM's and small quantities of surfing. But if I always use 3G people will be able to call me?
I will need to experiment on this, and see if the battery time will be acceptable.

badboyuk
2010-02-15, 12:42
I had a similar issue on my n900 here in the UK and im on the 02 network. This occurred last week, I had my 3G switched on and was signed into msn via the conversations plug-in. that is all i had on. I drove over to mate house an i tried makin a call but kept coming up "call could not be established" error. I tried calling diff ppl but same result. As soon as i disconnected the 3G web, it was working fine!
Anyone know why this happens or any way to fix it........??

le1204
2010-02-19, 20:48
Hi,

Have anyone experience not receiving calls on your N900 despite the callers claiming they called?

This has happened to me a lot, ppl have been asking why i am not answering calls all the time. But the problem is, my N900 is not even showing any calls coming in. I have tried calling myself from another phone as well and witnessed this myself. Very often a reboot would fixed it but not for long before it happens again.

I have contacted my service provider and they have sent me a new SIM card but the issue is still happening.

Can someone shed some light on this?
Thank you

rhythmspirit
2010-02-19, 20:51
This will happen if you are using EDGE -- connected and using the data. While using the data on EDGE, voice will not go through (sometimes). Only 3G will allow simultaneous data and voice.

le1204
2010-02-19, 20:57
I am not sure what EDGE is? but my internet connection is active on my N900.
Should i disable that?

rhythmspirit
2010-02-19, 20:58
Do you see "3G" or "3.5G" under your signal bars? If you see something other than those two AND you are using data (internet), then that is the reason why the calls are not going through. What do you have, T-Mobile or AT&T or another service?

le1204
2010-02-19, 21:02
I am on AT&T, under the signal bars it is showing 2.5

rhythmspirit
2010-02-19, 21:03
Okay I am sure that is why. If you want to fix this problem, stop using internet (IM, refreshing widgets, browsing). Or you can tell the people who call you to leave a voicemail.
If not, then you have to switch to T-Mobile to get 3G for simultaneous data and voice. With 3G, you can use the internet and call at the same time. With 2.5G, you have to turn data off to call someone. Try browsing a page, then use the phone to call someone, the phone will pop up a message saying "Cellular data unavailable" or something like that.

le1204
2010-02-19, 21:05
ok i get it now. Thanks a lot, i will probably have to upgrade to 3G then.

rhythmspirit
2010-02-19, 21:07
Yup, best way is to switch to T-Mobile. I edited my post above...

le1204
2010-02-19, 21:25
yes yes that is true.......i always see the message 'cellular data unavalable' but never quite bothered much about it as the call did go through anyways......

wow..you are really good......thanks a lot

craftyguy
2010-02-19, 21:38
Okay I am sure that is why. If you want to fix this problem, stop using internet (IM, refreshing widgets, browsing). Or you can tell the people who call you to leave a voicemail.
If not, then you have to switch to T-Mobile to get 3G for simultaneous data and voice. With 3G, you can use the internet and call at the same time. With 2.5G, you have to turn data off to call someone. Try browsing a page, then use the phone to call someone, the phone will pop up a message saying "Cellular data unavailable" or something like that.

I actually have this problem all the time on Tmobile, and I never knew that would be the cause. Why wouldn't the phone application recognize a 2.5 connection, and automatically disable data?

In areas of questionably signal strength, my device will switch between 2.5g and 3g intermittently, and sometimes I have trouble making a successful phone call.

hqh
2010-02-19, 21:48
Normally EDGE data connection should go on hold automatically when there is an incoming call. Mine works as expected, so I guess the problem only exists with certain operators/networks.

rhythmspirit
2010-02-19, 21:48
The phone WILL recognize a 2.5 connection and automatically disable ONLY for outgoing calls (you calling someone). It cannot (or will not) do it for incoming calls --- it can only do it SOMETIMES, not all the time. I am not sure if it is a problem with N900 or it's just limited by the 2.5G technology.

rhythmspirit
2010-02-19, 21:55
Normally EDGE data connection should go on hold automatically when there is an incoming call. Mine works as expected, so I guess the problem only exists with certain operators/networks.

Maybe you were lucky, nothing was accessing the data when someone tried to call you. It all could be just a coincidence that your connection was just idle.

But set your connection to EDGE and keep your internet active by continuously browsing, then call yourself from a different phone. You will notice that sometimes, the call will not go through.

hqh
2010-02-19, 22:06
Maybe you were lucky, nothing was accessing the data when someone tried to call you. It all could be just a coincidence that your connection was just idle.

But set your connection to EDGE and keep your internet active by continuously browsing, then call yourself from a different phone. You will notice that sometimes, the call will not go through.

I tried forcing network mode to GSM, started a large download and called a few times from another phone. It worked every time, the data connection got suspended and automatically resumed when the call ended.

If the problem existed on every network and always when there is a active data connection, there would be a lot more people complaining...

le1204
2010-02-19, 23:10
I was told that the N900 will not work with AT&T's 3G, is this true?

I did a search on the web and it seems like many are saying so....

anyone here running AT&T 3G on the N900?

craftyguy
2010-02-19, 23:12
The phone WILL recognize a 2.5 connection and automatically disable ONLY for outgoing calls (you calling someone). It cannot (or will not) do it for incoming calls --- it can only do it SOMETIMES, not all the time. I am not sure if it is a problem with N900 or it's just limited by the 2.5G technology.

If this is indeed how it works on the N900, then it most certainly is a problem with this device! I've never seen this issue on any other 3G phone before.

jozeph
2010-02-20, 00:16
Anyone can confirm if this is a limitation of network or N900?

GaryHT627
2010-02-20, 00:42

The N900 will not work on the AT&T 3G network. It has 3 bands of 3G coverage, kbps (DL/UL) WCDMA 900/1700/2100, and AT&T uses 1900. T-Mobile uses 1700 so that works in the US.

rhythmspirit
2010-02-20, 01:34
people dont complain because they might be on 3G or they dont know. not everyone who calls you is going to ask why you dont answer. when this happens, the person that calls you will get the ringing tone like normal -- the only thing is, you don't get an alert that someone is calling, so its like you ignore the call and dont pick up. im going to guess its a n900 problem because it happens sometimes, not all the time.

karim0028
2010-02-20, 01:40
I am seeing the same thing... I was wondering why i never hear the phone ring, but i just keep getting messages...

I am running 2G, on Tmobile and i rarely if ever surf the net...

I thought it was just me....

m165
2010-02-20, 02:13
I've just tried this. Switched too 2G, opened up a image and resource heavy website, tried calling and all I got was "this number is unavailable."

This could prove annoying in areas with limited signal and being connected too a service transferring data all the time!

I'm on T-Mobile UK. Tried it with 3G, and it worked fine whilst loading the same website.

Do you think it's possible monitor for calls, and cut out data to allow the call to come through?

loranth
2010-02-20, 02:18
From http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36774&page=5

For all those who preferred incoming calls interrupting the data transfer, you might be out of luck, as our dear friends using iPhone's have noticed a while ago.

There is a thing called 'Network Mode of Operation' in GPRS, which basically dictates the behavior in this case, what happens when an incoming call comes and you have a data connection active.

The quickest link I now found is below, however it is not the best one, try googling more if you are interested.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115034-233.html

The basic idea though is that there are three different modes, NOM1, NOM2 and NOM3. And NOM1 and NOM3 are good, NOM2 are bad in case of the dropping calls as the NOM2 can't signal the data channel that there is incoming call...

And for example AT&T here in U.S. uses mostly NOM2 networks, I do not know what mode T-Mobile uses, but 3G works on that, so no problems. In Finland the networks are either NOM1 or NOM3, etc depending on operators, and so on..

ps. waiting for my phone number to switch to T-Mobile, can't live without my N900 nor my incoming calls...

Nothing to do with N900, everything to do with shitty networks of USA, namely AT&T.

m165
2010-02-20, 02:26
I found this post via google:

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showpost.php?p=433341&postcount=1

It's posted about the iPhone, but shows that it's a network limitation.

Edit: got beaten to the explanation!

SAABoy
2010-02-20, 02:37

check out my thread... im having the exact same issue with ATT
and my N900... yessir, no ATT 3G for us... ill be switching to tmobile in a few weeks anyhow :P

fred123
2010-02-20, 02:46
Would be useful if we could find a way to enable engineering test mode on n900 to see what network type is in use in different countries/places.

x61
2010-03-01, 17:36
I have T-Mobile 3G but still encountered this problem. I must say, only one person complained about this but I am curious as to whether it is related to the phone itself or the network.

luis3000
2010-03-01, 21:10
Hi

Here in Venezuela i have the same problem when connected to an EGPRS Network of an 850/1900 MHz Operator. If i am downloading data using an GPRS or EDGE connection, the incoming calls are forwarded to the voice mail.

If i use a simcard of another operator in 900 Mhz band, the problem doesn't appears when i use their EGPRS network.

Bratac
2010-03-01, 21:19
Hi,

I agree that I often don't get calls on N900 that get through when I use my E71. It applies to more than using data, I think, but is particularly noticeable with data use.
I'm on Orange in UK. The N900 is also terrible at notifying me of missed calls too but I'm starting to like it that way!

m165
2010-03-02, 03:03
There was a post about this awhile back, and I tested it out.

I connected to 2G, and went to a resource heavy site, then tried calling me, and couldn't get through. This is on T-Mobile UK.

Be great to fix this problem, as 3G signal isn't great in my area and sometimes drops into 2G.

di1in
2010-03-02, 03:09
Shouldn't we submit a bug report then?

gom4381
2010-03-02, 03:12
I could be wrong but I think there is no 2g phone that allows for you to simultaneously have voice and data at the same time. When I am on an edge or gprs connection my connction stops when I have incoming calls. When I make outgoing calls I cannot use data at the same time-on N900. It might just be a limitation of those particular protocols. It happened also when I had a n95 8gb on a 2g connection.

Dinho
2010-03-02, 03:39
I could be wrong but I think there is no 2g phone that allows for you to simultaneously have voice and data at the same time.

That's right. The 2G connections (GPRS and EDGE) use the same GSM technology and wavelength as phone calls, so you can only use one at a time, either data or voice, but not both.
However, I think the problem being complained of is that while the N900 is using data via GPRS or EDGE and the call comes in, the device does not automatically disconnect from the data connection and handle the phone call. I've only used iPhone 2G with data enabled and whenever I'm using EDGE and somebody calls, the data connection drops to allow the phone to handle voice. I haven't experienced this with my N900, so I can't tell whether this affects all devices.

gerbick
2010-03-02, 04:04
Shouldn't we submit a bug report then?

There needs to be one if there isn't one submitted already.

shadowjk
2010-03-02, 05:42
In my experience this depends on the network. I haven't tested with the N900, but with several other Nokia phones downloading stuff on GPRS on Operator A blocks incoming SMS and Calls, while downloading, with the exact same phone, on Operator B's network does not block incoming SMS and Calls.

jorjino
2010-03-02, 07:21
Hello guys,

I have same problem with my N900.
There are posts that it is depending of the mobile operator, class A product, etc.

I have not any problems with my previous mobile - E90. In the same network I can use both calls and EDGE/GPRS data transfer.
So I think it is a software connected, but not hardware, because N900 has better hardware than E90.

Can we push Nokia to make it happened - simultaneously EDGE data and calls?

Regards.

m165
2010-03-02, 11:53
This is the previous post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45154

Information I found via Google
http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showpost.php?p=433341&postcount=1

Another post that could be of interest:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36774

Pigro
2010-03-02, 12:01
FWIW I tested this (Vodafone UK) this morning by starting a call on speakerphone from n900 to my landline, leaving it open, and then kicking off a remote control session (rDesktop) on n900 over a 2G connection (5 bars).

The voice call continued with good quality & without any glitches, but the RDP session was slower to establish than normal, and sluggish once connected - fair enough, you can't get a quart from a pint pot as they say.

Ending the call didn't appear to significantly speed up the RDP, but that may be me being too subjective as I'd expected an noticeable improvement.

I then repeated by starting the RDP session and calling the mobile form the landline - did this twice, both times Igot the call presented on top of the (full screen) RDP session, first time I acceted thecal, waited a bit then disconnected . Second time, I rejected the call. Both times the RDP session remained live after hangup

So, Voda UK is definitely able to cope with simultaneous voice/data on 2G, and the n900 is not to blame if your cellco doesn't allow this.

edit - just saw above post linking to old thread about phantom calls - this is a separate issue, where the phone loses it's cell connection entirely & needs a reboot to fix it. AFAIK it is unrelated to the issue in this thread (where the phone will automatically begin to take calls again once the GPRS goes idle).

esit #2 - just a thought, rDesktop is a pretty lightweight protocol, so the above test may not be fully conclusive. So, I swapped the RDP for a download of a 2MB .pdf from a website, and repeated the tests. Again, incoming calls were always presented, and I watched the .pdf download progressing (via file manager) while I was still on the call to myself (I could see the doc filesize increasing in real time). So, Voda UK deffo "multi-tasks" voice & data admirably well under a variety of circumstances.

saadgadit
2010-03-02, 12:11
yes the problem can reside with operators.. but the issue is that its not happening in case of N900 only.. my N85 previously was working just fine (giving priority to cellular connections over data connections).. N900 not doing the same :(

alexbitzu
2010-03-02, 12:58
yes the problem can reside with operators.. but the issue is that its not happening in case of N900 only.. my N85 previously was working just fine (giving priority to cellular connections over data connections).. N900 not doing the same :(

Hi all. I have the same problem in Romania. I am on vodafone network.
It's really annoying especially with this crappy battery that n900 have.
I had a lot of phone mostly nokia that had a setting that was called "call waiting" witch applies also for data services.
Last phone was nokia e51 and it was switched on a 2g. I had an application that was sync my mail in real time an a messenger app also in real time.
I never had any problem with receiving calls on that phone.
Really if there's anyone who can make something for solving this problem, please DO.
Can someone make a bug report and asking for a call waiting also available for data services? I could do it but i don't know how...
I really can't stand it anymore, to charge my phone every night and next day around 7 PM is off.
regards...

m165
2010-03-02, 16:02
So, Voda UK is definitely able to cope with simultaneous voice/data on 2G, and the n900 is not to blame if your cellco doesn't allow this.

Damn, I knew I should have went with Vodafone. The T-mobile deal I got had the same contract as the Vodafone one, but £100 cheaper for the phone, so technically, I saved £100, and lost the ability to browse on 2G in case I get a call. 3G is not great in my area, so this is bad news!

badboyuk
2010-03-02, 17:29
im on the network 02 and Im having this problem. After reading this thread, it seems that Orange, Tmobile and 02 are affected yet voda isnt? that can't be right surely?
I somehow don't think that this is a network fault.

Pigro
2010-03-02, 20:01
well, my phone contract is via Carphone Warehouse, but Voda is the carrier. Maybe I'm just lucky (or there is some flaw in my tests)? Any other voda users care to repeat my test - still (just) time for me to place a big bet on the Brazil-Ireland game if I turn out to be blessed :-)

markn
2010-03-03, 01:52
I have T-Mobile 3G but still encountered this problem. I must say, only one person complained about this but I am curious as to whether it is related to the phone itself or the network.

I have the same issue in NZ on 3G or 3.5G while using data. Several times have received voicemail messages much later. It doesn't seem to be confined to 2G only.

Also - the same thing never happened on my N97, so I think it is phone related.

YoDude
2010-03-03, 02:01
On 2G I believe it is network dependent. Within a network it could also be tower dependent. Call volume will change how the tower allocates slots.

joshv06
2010-03-03, 02:05

Would you happen to know what network they were on? I only know one person that's tried calling me while I was using the 2g connection and they were on Sprint.

badboyuk
2010-03-03, 11:03
I agree with the folk mentioning the 2G scenario. If you are on 3 or 3.5G then I think you should be okay with receiving and making a call etc. But if you are travelling and your 3G drops to 2G in certain areas due to poor reception then that could be the problem as perhaps the fault lies within the device itself of not being able to disconnect the Edge/Gprs connection for incomming calls etc.
I hope this issue is addressed in the next PR update.

Pigro, Have you had any issues whilst connected on a 2G connection? Maybe you should put it to the test so that way we could see if it really is a fault with network or the device, that is if you have the time to do so :-)

Pigro
2010-03-03, 13:54
Pigro, Have you had any issues whilst connected on a 2G connection? Maybe you should put it to the test so that way we could see if it really is a fault with network or the device, that is if you have the time to do so :-)

all my tests above were done whilst on a 2G connection :confused:

tested this (Vodafone UK) this morning by starting a call on speakerphone from n900 to my landline, leaving it open, and then kicking off a remote control session (rDesktop) on n900 over a 2G connection (5 bars).

... would be nice if another Voda UK user were to confirm this though just to ensure that my tests are 100% valid (for example, I'm trusting the display when it shows a 2G connection, I haven't actively forced the phone into 2G only mode). it would be strange if only Voda are offer such a compelling feature (and even stranger if true that they haven't noticed & started boasting about/charging for it)?

I've occasionally suffered from the phone module of the tablet dying while out and about & doing a lot of browsing (though can't say if that was 2G specific) - i.e. people were calling/texting me and I didn't know about it. Phone stays unresponsive once in this state (and the signal bars & 2G/3G indicator dissapear entirely from the status bar) until a reboot, when the texts then come through. I suppose this may be related, but it's only happened to me twice in 3 months (and I'm out and about with n900 a lot, permanently connected via public WiFi or GPRS, and using data quite frequently).

bitflung
2010-03-03, 16:42
I too have this problem. I can also state definitively that this is not a network-side error.

My wife and I live in MA, USA and use the AT&T mobile network. We have used the N95-1 (no US 3G), N82 (no US 3G), N97 (3.5G), and 5800xm (3.5G) from this location in the past 1 month.

All of these phones are capable of receiving calls while connected (or in processing of connecting) to the AT&T APN wap.cingular (note: this APN is used for all IP communications, despite it erferring to WAP and also it retaining hte name of the network at&t bought a few years back, it is the current and applicable full-network connectivity APN I always use, and even supports IPSEC VPN tunneling).

The N900 however is not capable of receiving calls while connected to this APN. Every incoming call is sent directly to voicemail. This appears to be distinctly a device-side fault and I am quite confused by other people reporting that they do not have this symptom.

Moreover, there has been at least one report in this forum appearing to claim that simultaneous voice and data was possible on a 2G network - not just that the data connection was dropped or suspended properly, but that simultaneous voice and data was possible. This, to the best of my understanding, is technically impossible and leads me to believe that we are not all testing for this problem in the same, reproducible and accurate, manner.

So, to the OP, I feel your pain. I have essentially disabled my packet data entirely, because though I hardly use my phone(s) for voice calls I know that it frustrates the crap out of my family when they try to call me and it goes persistently straight to voicemail.

bitflung
2010-03-03, 17:45
I have opened a bug tracker for this issue. If you experience this problem and want it fixed, vote for it here:
GPRS/EDGE data connection prohibits incoming voice calls (https://bugs.maemo.org/votes.cgi?action=show_user&bug_id=9385#vote_9385)

OranAgra
2010-03-03, 19:13
This problem (maybe a bug) is definitely not "REPRODUCIBILITY:
always; no exceptions" as the bug-report suggests.

I'm using 2.5G these days since 3G drains my battery (in about 6 hours), while 2.5G goes for about 24 hours.

i'm using skype, jabber, and msn, and i'm constantly connected to 2.5G.
when i have an incoming call the phone rings, and the data-connection icon in the status bar is changed (marked with a red crossing line over).
when the call ends, data connection resumes..

this of course doesn't happen when i'm connected to 3G then the data connection remains.

my cellphone operator is Cellcom / Israel.

Venomrush
2010-03-03, 19:16
I'm definately seeing this issue and now understand why some people called me and said my phone was off/busy when I definatelly have full battery + signal.

Thanks for reporting!

etuoyo
2010-03-03, 19:19
Mine doesn't receive calls whilst watching video but no one seemed to care.:(

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45834

spanner
2010-03-03, 19:28
I'm definately seeing this issue and now understand why some people called me and said my phone was off/busy when I definatelly have full battery + signal.

My N900 got a bad reputation among my friends & family when I first got it because they were always going straight to answerphone.

Nowadays I'm "offline as it happens" all day (because of crap battery life) so I don't have this problem so much!

egoshin
2010-03-03, 19:38
I agree with the folk mentioning the 2G scenario. If you are on 3 or 3.5G then I think you should be okay with receiving and making a call etc.

Correction - 2.5G allows voice + data.

But again, if we discuss the RECEPTION of voice call while on data - that is a PROVIDER issue. It can temporary disconnect 2G data to call your phone. And I am not surprised if provider does it only for specific phone models (for exam - doesn't like N900), just to avoid some issues with traffic interruption.

Venomrush
2010-03-03, 19:41
My N900 got a bad reputation among my friends & family when I first got it because they were always going straight to answerphone.

Nowadays I'm "offline as it happens" all day (because of crap battery life) so I don't have this problem so much!

1. Get those massive battery replacement :D
2. You can avoid the bug by leaving your phone at Desktop ;) as I can only reproduce it when it's browsing some webpage.

Pigro
2010-03-03, 23:40
Screenshot #1 @ 22:35

2G signal
no call in progress
talk.maemo.org showing most recent post @ 10:33

Screenshot #2 @ 22:37

call in progress (initiated by n900)
talk.maemo.org showing most recent post @ 10:33

Screenshot #3 @ 22:40

call still in progress
talk.maemo.org page refreshed, showing most recent post @ 10:34

Screenshot #4 @ 22:40

call still in progress
talk.maemo.org page still showing most recent post @ 10:34

You'll need to take my word for it that the screenshots haven't been messed with, and that the same call remained in progress throughout the test ... but this hopefully shows that it's technically possible for a GPRS data session to coexist with a voice call on 2G.

Admittedly, refreshing the browser was quite flaky during my test (I had to stop/reload several times) but TBH that happens to me on a 2G connection in this location quite often even without a voice call in progress.

shadowjk
2010-03-03, 23:48
Actually n900 supports simultaneous voice and data on edge too, but the number of operators worldwide that support it cn probably be counted with one hand.

Pigro
2010-03-04, 12:42
from n900 technical specification (http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/):

Data network:
GPRS class A, multislot class 32, maximum speed 107/64.2 kbps (DL/UL)
EDGE class A, multislot class 32, maximum speed 296/177.6 kbps

From the (dreaded) Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Packet_Radio_Service):

Hardware

Devices supporting GPRS are divided into three classes:

Class A
Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), using both at the same time. Such devices are known to be available today.
Class B
Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), but using only one or the other at a given time. During GSM service (voice call or SMS), GPRS service is suspended, and then resumed automatically after the GSM service (voice call or SMS) has concluded. Most GPRS mobile devices are Class B.
Class C
Are connected to either GPRS service or GSM service (voice, SMS). Must be switched manually between one or the other service.

From Vodafone forums (http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48443):

With DTM, (also known as simple or pseudo class A) both voice and data are on the same frequency and coordination is done by the network. The original idea of Class A was to operate in the CS domain (voice) and PS domain (data) with complete independence which did mean supporting 2 frequencies at the same time (not just 900 & 1800 but also 2 frequencies within the same band). This would have made handsets hugely complex so it never really happened and so when you see Class A in the specs it means DTM.

It works on GPRS and EDGE but since 1 timeslot is taken up by voice the data transfer will be a bit slower when doing DTM.

I briefly mentioned this new capability in another post here earlier but DTM is still a very rare sight on 2G GSM/GPRS networks throughout the world and Voda has only been doing it since the new year although the specs and capable handsets have been around for a bit. A related benefit is even if you have a handset that isn't capable of DTM it still benefits in that you will not miss incoming calls or get delayed texts when transferring data which was a problem on 2G up until now.

daemonfin
2010-03-04, 13:01
So this is why people suddenly stopped calling me:P Haha, I had realized that if i had an active data session I was unable to recieve calls, however SMS seemed to work.
I mostly use GPRS to conserve battery, it's really unneccessary with 3G for IM's and small quantities of surfing. But if I always use 3G people will be able to call me?
I will need to experiment on this, and see if the battery time will be acceptable.

I dont have that problem.

Spotfist
2010-03-04, 14:01
the reason why this bug is "not replicable" is becasue people seem to be doing it wrong, loading a webpage will not always allow for a full traffic load, you really need to hammer the 2g connection for this issue to take place. I can goto the Ovi store and call myself however if I try and stream some media over 2g I cant get the call through no matter how many times I try.

Using Skype, jabber etc will not rape the 2g connection, I is a "check every now and then" kind of traffic allowing for a call to come through, this is a rather annoying bug and it seems some poeple are getting that sweet spot gap in the data tranmission where the call can come through.

It's annoying becasue I have poor 2g signal and am getting it in the ear from the misses cuz "I have my phone turned off" when actually im busy streaming music :(

Am on Tmobile by the way ;)

sjgadsby
2010-03-04, 14:14
The following threads have been merged into this thread:
"calls not received" with twenty-eight posts
"N900 can't receive calls while using GPRS data" with forty-four posts

bitflung
2010-03-04, 16:57
from n900 technical specification (http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/):

From the (dreaded) Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Packet_Radio_Service):

Interesting - I see I was completely wrong in thinking that it was not feasible to have simultaneous voice+data on 2/2.5G; thanks for clarifying and putting up with my misinformation gracefully.

With that point cleared up, we still have plenty of networks which function properly on other devices but fail to connect incoming calls while 2/2.5G packet data is active on the N900.

I would be interested in knowing which networks work, and which ones don't. So far, I have heard reports (including my own) that the N900 suffers from the described issue on the following networks:

- AT&T (USA)
- T-Mobile (UK)
- O2 (UK)

Can anyone add to this list, or state that they use one of these networks and do NOT experience the flaw?

Pigro
2010-03-04, 17:41
Interesting - I see I was completely wrong in thinking that it was not feasible to have simultaneous voice+data on 2/2.5G; thanks for clarifying and putting up with my misinformation gracefully.

No problem :-)

It will be interesting to see others experiences & get a better picture - judging by the Vodafone eForum guy's post it sounds like (pseudo)simultaneous access is still quite rare.

I'm certainly pleased that Voda are not ditching my incoming calls when I'm on a 2G GPRS data connection, and any actual data bandwidth still available to me once I take that incoming call is a bonus. Also agreed that it is totally unacceptable for incoming calls to be lost in such circumstances, good luck tracking down root cause to the device and/or the operator ...

egoshin
2010-03-04, 19:33

The problem is - it is a provider choice of accepting your device as class A or B or even C. If provider has N900 marked as class A phone - sure.

BTW, it looks like before PR1.1 update the cellphone firmware doesn't indicate N900 as a smartphone to provider.... and may be - as class A too.

Spotfist
2010-03-05, 09:37
I would just like to point out that this issue does and does not occur on tmobile dependant on how much bandwidth you consume over 2g, as stated in my previouse post I am on tmobile uk, I can goto a webpage while it is loading and phone myself however if I had to go to youtube or stream music I cant get through, it seems that some people may be reporting that they are getting through on there network when acutally if they nailed there 2g connection they may find they cannot get through.

My experience is that a webpage may allow for gaps in the bandwidth were the call can squeeze in whereas when buffering music there is no gap...

Pigro
2010-03-05, 12:47
ok, for clarity, Voda UK, is still letting calls through while I'm streaming a vid from youtube. I don't reccomend watching "smells like teen spirit" over 2G though, unless you really like the look of the "buffering" animation :-)

daemonfin
2010-03-05, 13:04
I have same problem only in 2g

Hossie
2010-03-05, 13:39
I've just tested it with Simyo (E-Plus) in Germany. Set the phone to GSM-only, went online, and called me from another phone. Seconds before the call actually "came through" the N900 said that the internet connection was suspended, and a few seconds later the call coming in. After the call the connection was resumed. It seems that not the N900 drops the connection, but the provider. :)

somekeystrokes
2010-03-21, 16:41
Im using vodafone in delhi...
the gprs works fine but not with the default settings..
i had to tweak them to get working
the tweak i did was.:

Settings>Internet Connections>Connections>Vodafone Live!>Edit>Next>Next>Advanced>Proxies>

here i had to change "Port Number for HTTPS, for FTP and RSTP" to 0 instead of default 9401.

After this change the websites open all fine.
But now the problem is...any of my IMs never(yes, never) get online when im on vodafone live gprs, while they seem to connect in a second when on wifi....same with gps locking (it locks, but after infinity..thts when ive already passed that point on road where i wanted help..)...

how to rectify this?
anyone else in delhi with vodafone experiencing the same.?

thanks in advance

somekeystrokes

jem555
2010-10-24, 08:06
Hi! I have a 2.5g connection in CLARO and the same issue...when Im logged in msn/jabber/skype or sending/receiving data, incoming call goes to voicemail after a couple of rings (on the calling side, of course) and only get this message about voicemail on N900...but when there's no traffic it gets through fine, the little 2.5g circle with a red line on it and when I hang it resumes as normal 2.5g data operation...

So, nobody is talking about this issue anymore ...is it solved or just there's no near solution?? I can see a bug track about it still open...

Thank for any help!!!

Maettu
2010-10-24, 09:00
I just live with it. Some times it stops the internet connection properly, sometimes I get 4-6 SMS messages that somebody tried to reach me...one hour too late to recall.

Everywhere I am during the week, there is 3G connection. But I just can't use it because it drains my battery. I don't want to charge twice a day...

jem555
2010-10-25, 00:38
Thanks for your answer, but there has to be a solution for this...i can't believe no one made a patch or something to fix it up...it's an important bug we're talking about...

Well, i believe something has to show up sooner or later... think i'll have to wait till then using just wifi...

Ribeiros
2010-11-04, 14:28
I'm in Ontario, Canada using an N900 service provided by Rogers.
Was not hapening before, but has started in the last 3 weeks.
The Phone has always desplayed 2.5G, I do not have a data plan, but in the last 3 weeks the calls keep getting dropped and dont last even for 20 seconds at most times.

Any clues???

lsbrasil
2010-11-18, 06:25
Here in Brazil, using the operator VIVO I have the same issue.
When using 2.5G or 2G, connected to the Internet with something simple as a ping or ssh session, all calls to my phone go to the voicemail.
I have to use my old BlackBerry 8310 when I travel to 2G and 2.5G areas, so I can use Internet and receive voice calls. I just use my N900 now when I am home (where I have wifi and 3G).
I hope we can see some kind of solution or work around soon.

Best regards!

hsrussel
2011-02-08, 03:24
It happens the other way round for me (GSM 2.5). i.e. I do not receive incoming calls while using internet. It did not happen with the other Nokia phones I used. Usually the incoming call would disconnect the internet. Voice calls had priority over internet. But with N900 nobody can reach my phone if I am using internet. Since I am using the N900 is my only mobile so I cannot use the internet during the when there are possibilities to get the incoming calls.

Is there a way around?

locolyric
2011-02-10, 13:35
some time when i use edge to surf net and blogging. The phone stop receiving calls, and i receive a lots of miss call after the session.

But 3g mode will suck all the power.