PDA

View Full Version : Spotify client

Arkan
04-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Hello,

Today i tried to install a spotify client and no one works.

I tryed Yaspot, despotify and Qtify.

Yaspot and Qtify crashed with a Segmentation fault after the logging.

Despotify said me "search failed".

I use a free account. Is it a problem ?

I'm really looking a a way yo enjoy spotify on my N900.

Hannu
04-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I think that it is the problem that you dont have premium account..
Would be fantastic if they could be used with free accounts.

Arkan
04-30-2010, 04:05 AM
thanks for you answer :)

is anybody can confirm that the problem is due to my free account ?

in this case' i'll take a premium account.

i saw that spotify was blocking some open sources clients. is that true ?

i mean if i take a premiuem account, can i have the warranty of beeing able to have a working client on the N900 ?

thanks

Joorin
04-30-2010, 04:15 AM
thanks for you answer :)

is anybody can confirm that the problem is due to my free account ?

in this case' i'll take a premium account.

i saw that spotify was blocking some open sources clients. is that true ?

i mean if i take a premiuem account, can i have the warranty of beeing able to have a working client on the N900 ?

thanks

Despotify does not work with free accounts. So all clients based on despotify will fail unless you have a premium account.

But remember that getting a premium Spotify account will not help you if the client based on despotify is buggy...

cashclientel
04-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Follow my logic:
Spotify = free on computer
N900 = computer
∴ Spotify = free on N900

Can Spotify for windows be run under Wine?
What about the Max client under a Mac emulator (http://mac-on-linux.sourceforge.net/) on Easy Debian?

rash.m2k
04-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Follow my logic:
N900 = computer
∴ Spotify = free on N900

What about the Max client under a Mac emulator (http://mac-on-linux.sourceforge.net/) on Easy Debian?

I have spotify working very very well on my openSUSE installation under wine.

Proabably won't work under ARM because wine emulates the s/w calls/environment not the h/w

Arkan
04-30-2010, 05:19 AM
I also have spotify on my Ubuntu working with wine.

But i would like to be able to run spotify on my N900.

How do you handle this with you N900 ?

Joorin
04-30-2010, 05:22 AM
I also have spotify on my Ubuntu working with wine.

But i would like to be able to run spotify on my N900.

How do you handle this with you N900 ?

Despotify has been compiled for the N900 (and I almost started tinkering with it myself just a few days ago) so you always have the option to use the simpler clients based on ncurses.

If you want to have a graphical UI that lets you point and click, you need to look at the projects that are around (or write your own).

Arkan
04-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks,

So it's normal if despotify doesn't work with a free account.

I think i'll upgrade my account to premium just for testing :)

Siggen
04-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Follow my logic:
N900 = computer
∴ Spotify = free on N900

Spotify for windows can be run under Wine, but not on armel processors like on the N900, only on x86 and x86_64 processors like your desktop computer

Mac on Linux is a virtual machine and will only run on PPC based processors, not on armel processors.

The authors of Despotify is not interested in a cat and mouse game where they enable use of free accounts by hacks and the Spotify creators blocks it in the next release. Their just glad to have a opensource Spotify client running at all. Some one (not me, and this is not a request, i dont really care for spotify at all) would need to fork the Despotify source code and make a hack that would trick the spotify server to let you loggon with a Despotify client, but cat and mouse.

AFAIK Despotify is the only opensource Spotify library or application, and its the only one for armel(except official spotify clients for platforms like iPhone and Android).

Anyway a plausible but not at all usable solution is to run an emulator like bosch or something on the N900 with Windows/Linux with wine or OS x, then run Spotify there. But this is not at all battery friendly, and say hello to half an hour to get it started, and im not sure if audio is supported on any x86 or PPC emulator for the N900

cashclientel
04-30-2010, 05:41 AM
@Siggen
Yep thanks - me being lazy to think that spotify would work under wine on the n900... doh!
and yes good point on the mac emulator i linked to.

to be honest, this topic has been around for a while and I'm sure all of these avenues have been explored - thus if you could emulate the mac or pc editions somebody already would have.

so... despotify with the paid is the only way to go. humphf.

Siggen
04-30-2010, 05:44 AM
@Siggen
Yep thanks - me being lazy to think that spotify would work under wine on the n900... doh!
and yes could point on the emulator i linked to.

to be honest, this topic has been around for a while and I'm sure all of these avenues have been explored - thus if you could emulate the mac or pc editions somebody already would have.

so... despotify with the paid is the only way to go. humphf.

if you find a petition or something to get an official port of spotify to the N900, I will sign it just for the sake of the N900.

chainreaction
04-30-2010, 05:47 AM
You need a premium account to get spotify working on your n900. Though it seems that a lot of people are having some strange issues with current Yaspot ot Qtify applications. Some get an error message saying that you would be required to update your program. Mine is working well with yaspot though.

Arkan
04-30-2010, 06:57 AM
ok thanks.

I'll try this later :)

Arkan
04-30-2010, 07:23 AM
I upgrade my account and install despotify and qtify.

Searching and playing sound work but i have no sound.

And in the console i have a message : ao_play() failed

Any idea ?

Joorin
04-30-2010, 07:49 AM
I upgrade my account and install despotify and qtify.

Searching and playing sound work but i have no sound.

And in the console i have a message : ao_play() failed

Any idea ?

A little Google suggests that that is libao, a cross-platform audio framework, complaining about not being able to play the sound.

This might be one of many problems: too new libao, a libao that doesn't handle a newer PulseAudio correctly or the qtify client not doing what it should to set things up.

(For the curious, I found this code: http://svn.xiph.org/tags/ao/libao-0.8.6/src/audio_out.c )

libao0 is maintained by mickewiki at gmail.com. Perhaps he can supply you with some help?

zillertal
04-30-2010, 08:12 AM
How should despotify be installed? Any easier way than getting it from the version control and compiling it myself?-) I could then get the premium version again, at least every now and then. I loved it on Symbian!

Arkan
04-30-2010, 08:59 AM
I did this :

apt-get install libao02

And rocks'n roll :)

FauX
04-30-2010, 09:17 AM
just fire up xterm, root, and type apt-get install despotify
it installs all dependencies it needs. yaspot works better than qtify if you ask me, though neither works for me now. client upgrade...

Arkan
04-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks FauX.

I installed yaspot and indeed it is better than qtify.

The sound is better.

:)