PDA

View Full Version : Formal objection to the honorific "Sir" being used by non-knighted individuals

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:01
Yeah, I'm hoping to get clarity on how that should be handled. Different moderators appear to have different opinions on thread management and that's not helpful to you guys for sure.

I am making a formal objection to the user on this forum with the title of SirMuttley.
It is actually against the law to call yourself a Sir without having gained a Knighthood.
A Knight title can only be granted by the Crown, and it is always for services to the British Empire.
Therefore it is offensive and immoral to the British Empire to call yourself a Sir if you indeed have not been Knighted by the Queen of England.
This IS a serious complaint and i certainly hope the Administration of Meamo.org will look into this matter.

SirMuttley
2010-05-04, 17:03
I am making a formal objection to the user on this forum with the title of SirMuttley.
It is actually against the law to call yourself a Sir without having gained a Knighthood.
A Knight title can only be granted by the Crown, and it is always for services to the British Empire.
Therefore it is offensive and immoral to the British Empire to call yourself a Sir if you indeed have not been Knighted by the Queen of England.
This IS a serious complaint and i certainly hope the Administration of Meamo.org will look into this matter.

You're like the guy who stands on the street corner shouting at buses.

Edit: also under English law it is legal to call yourself what ever you like unless it is for fraudulent purposes. Not that it will stop you ranting :)

mthmob
2010-05-04, 17:11

With full respect to the british empire... Thats just about the funniest thing i've read on this forum.

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:12
Texrat i am currently doing a search for actual British law that states the facts behind my complaint but for now may i suggest you take a look at this ebay page which does in fact state this as breaking the law, the heading of the page is... Lord, Lady, Sir, Knight Titles being sold on eBay

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Lord-Lady-Sir-Knight-Titles-being-sold-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000008921426

I will in due course be able to supply actual law for the admin of Meamo.org to look at but in the meantime could you please give me the email address for administration.

ossipena
2010-05-04, 17:15
so maemo.org is under british law? or under every law ever even suggested in the planet?

onaje
2010-05-04, 17:16
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

fatalsaint
Texrat i am currently doing a search for actual British law that states the facts behind my complaint but for now may i suggest you take a look at this ebay page which does in fact state this as breaking the law, the heading of the page is... Lord, Lady, Sir, Knight Titles being sold on eBay

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Lord-Lady-Sir-Knight-Titles-being-sold-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000008921426

I will in due course be able to supply actual law for the admin of Meamo.org to look at but in the meantime could you please give me the email address for administration.

The United States Military.... in fact most military's around the world (including I'm pretty sure, the UK military).... are likely to get in a lot of trouble then :rolleyes:

Texrat

Now I know you're joking.

in the meantime could you please give me the email address for administration.

That goes beyond absurd.

I'm not wasting anyone's time with that lunacy... especially my own.

nosa101
2010-05-04, 17:17
Look, funnay picture

http://www.ramblestrip.com/pictures/lolcats_oh-noes_ihasletgo.jpg

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:21
Now I know you're joking.

That goes beyond absurd.

I'm not wasting anyone's time with that lunacy... especially my own.

It is a serious complaint and as a Moderator you are duty bound to take this up.

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 17:24
No he's duty bound to read it, consider it, and then disregard it.

Completely.

And from what I can tell.. he did so quite well. Excellent modding example Tex :).

KapCaveman
2010-05-04, 17:24

Bill you might want to have a look at the Deed Poll Service (http://www.ukdps.co.uk/OtherFAQs.html)

Do what you need to get over being right and wrong simultaneously then post about your experience somewhere appropriate

Texrat
2010-05-04, 17:25
It is a serious complaint and as a Moderator you are duty bound to take this up.

There's no way to take you seriously.

I tried to entertain the notion that maybe you just needed some extra patience, but now I'm sure it's just an act designed to cause disruption here.

So, no, I'm not bound to do anything except maybe debate with the other moderators on what to do with you.

EDIT: thanks to whoever extracted this silly segment.

deadmalc
2010-05-04, 17:28
can we generate a brainstorm for this?

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:29
Bill you might want to have a look at the Deed Poll Service (http://www.ukdps.co.uk/OtherFAQs.html)

Do what you need to get over being right and wrong simultaneously then post about your experience somewhere appropriate

I did look as you suggested on the http://www.ukdps.co.uk/OtherFAQs.html and i found THIS....

Q22: Can I have Lord or Sir as my first name?
A: Although there is no law in the United Kingdom that prevents you from calling yourself by whatever title you like, we will not accept an order for a Deed Poll that includes a first name that may result in others believing you have a conferred or inherited honour, title or rank. This is because of the obvious deception such a first name will cause to the general public. Therefore, applications for a new first name such as Sir, Lord, Lady, Baron, Baroness, Count, Earl, Countess, Duke, Duchess, Colonel etc will not be accepted.

Please do explain why they put this?.

nosa101
This thread has potential

fatalsaint

Oh now that's pure gold!

NvyUs
2010-05-04, 17:32
now we know why abill did not go for the name King Dick(richard) he was scared of being beheaded

fnordianslip
2010-05-04, 17:33
I'm sure that Earl has had common use as a first name.

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 17:33

So just to be clear..... Signing up for an account on T.M.O. is sending a DeedPoll request to the UK?!?!

Now that's what I call Single-signon....

festivalnut
2010-05-04, 17:34
aw there sure are some sensitive souls on the interwebs! i mean really is your day that empty that you want to have some poor soul extridicted and convicted for improper use of a screen name? actually i doubt the law extends as far as screen names, and i would just love to see the metropolitan police do a dawn raid on robot wars to grab sir killalot!

twoboxen
2010-05-04, 17:34

I suggest an iPhone-quality "Sir-ify" app. It takes your name (textbox) and a url to a picture of yourself. It will output that picture of you with a crown, sword, and your name printed at bottom with "Sir " prepended. Perhaps we can leverage ImageMagik? Thoughts?

Man, if only I lived in Hong Kong I wouldn't have to wait for PR1.2/Qt4.6. We could write it in Qt much easier.

Straycat
2010-05-04, 17:36
with full respect to the british empire... Thats just about the funniest thing i've read on this forum.

aaaaaaaaaaamen!!

Texrat
This thread has potential

Indeed. It's made me realize we need a special Brainstorm category for humor.

l33t translation:

Hellz yes! Brainstorm 4 LULZ!!! 111!!11!!!

sjgadsby

In the past, it has proved difficult, if not impossible, to change the username of a user on this site. Therefore, in addition to considering the legal ramifications of this issue, our movement on this matter is constrained by technology. It may take some time for us to fully investigate a solution to this problem, and we appreciate your patience and understanding in the interim.

In the meantime, I suggest for consideration your use of the "Report A Forum Bug" link at right to request and enhancement to the forum software. A ticket should be opened on the issue of blocking use of the strings "sir" and "dame" at the start of new usernames to prevent the expansion of this problem.

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:37

I always thought this boring community needs a shakeup now and then ;)

Texrat
2010-05-04, 17:37
So just to be clear..... Signing up for an account on T.M.O. is sending a DeedPoll request to the UK?!?!

Now that's what I call Single-signon....

Stop! STOP! You're going to make me puke coffee!!!

EDIT: that goes for you too, gadsby!

twoboxen
2010-05-04, 17:38
In the past, it has proved difficult, if not impossible, to change the username of a user on this site. Therefore, in addition to considering the legal ramifications of this issue, our movement on this matter is constrained by technology. It may take some time for us to fully investigate a solution to this problem, and we appreciate your patience and understanding in the interim.

In the meantime, I suggest for consideration your use of the "Report A Forum Bug" link at right to request and enhancement to the forum software. A ticket should be opened on the issue of blocking use of the strings "sir" and "dame" at the start of new usernames to prevent the expansion of this problem.

so _sir_boxen is acceptable?

cardiff-blues
2010-05-04, 17:38
Is this thread going to rival the PR 1.2's

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:39
Is this thread going to rival the PR 1.2's

I certainly hope so :D

ossipena
I think we're actually under the jurisdiction of British LOL.
omg how can I delete all of my posts here? that is really bad!

Astute
:eek:..........oh dear lmfao. Someone tell me this is a wind up ffs :)

fatalsaint

I should not be laughing this hard at this....

I <3 you sjgadsby.

smarsh
2010-05-04, 17:40
Goodness gracious. Lord Sutch would have something to say about this.

abill, old son, you, sir (sic), are quite possibly one of the most amusing posters t.m.o. has ever seen.

By the way, I'd advise not getting all British Empire at Americans but I can see that in your mind it's probably still 1770 or thereabouts. Let me inform you, that war was lost a long time ago.

Still, this is a lovely way to pass the time of day, isn't it.

Bratag
2010-05-04, 17:40
Whoo OP takes it to new heights of crazy. Thank God - I was beginning to think he had exhausted his nutter supply when he dropped out of the other threads.

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:42
:eek:..........oh dear lmfao. Someone tell me this is a wind up ffs :)

AWWWWWWW dont spoilt it PLEASE lmfaooooooo

Texrat
2010-05-04, 17:42
Whoo OP takes it to new heights of crazy. Thank God - I was beginning to think he had exhausted his nutter supply when he dropped out of the other threads.

/me submits Brainstorm to rename forum abill_uk.maemo.org.

DarkPand0r
2010-05-04, 17:43
Lets not go into the conversation of jurisdiction as thats just going to get very racist very fast.....
This is the internet, People can do or say what they want and as your NOT using the name for anything official or legally binding then technically the OP can go sit on a tac.

I must admit though, I pee'd a little reading this.

cardiff-blues
Now there's a thought. If Finland was part of the British Empire then PR 1.2 would have been released or else we would have gone over and sorted them out :)

abill_uk
Goodness gracious. Lord Sutch would have something to say about this.

abill, old son, you, sir (sic), are quite possibly one of the most amusing posters t.m.o. has ever seen.

By the way, I'd advise not getting all British Empire at Americans but I can see that in your mind it's probably still 1770 or thereabouts. Let me inform you, that war was lost a long time ago.

Still, this is a lovely way to pass the time of day, isn't it.

I absolutely agree with you SIR Smarsh please DO carry on. ;)

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 17:44
Now there's a thought. If Finland was part of the British Empire then PR 1.2 would have been released or else we would have gone over and sorted them out :)

I can think of at least one case that didn't work out so well for the British....

/me runs

smarsh
2010-05-04, 17:45
I absolutely agree with you SIR Smarsh please DO carry on. ;)

That's Lord Boggy to you :-)

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:45

Well thankyou dearest SIR Texrat i am mostly impressed . :D

Astute
2010-05-04, 17:46
AWWWWWWW dont spoilt it PLEASE lmfaooooooo

.....damm, trust moi :rolleyes:

Apologies Sir'eeee haha

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:47
I can think of at least one case that didn't work out so well for the British....

/me runs

Ere you dont get me at it cos i dont want to start calling the yanks over "nam" pmsl.

ZShakespeare
2010-05-04, 17:49
Everyone who has posted in this thread should have their name prepended with "Sir ".

jamie721
2010-05-04, 17:49
intresting im from the uk and doesnt bother me. i imagine tho if it was a religious problem from a certain country im sure people wouldnt have been so hasty to laugh.

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 17:50
Everyone who has posted in this thread should have their name prepended with "Sir ".

Except you.. because we wouldn't want your noble act to be considered Self-Serving :D

w00t

I think crazies-corner.maemo.org is more suited.

fatalsaint
intresting im from the uk and doesnt bother me. i imagine tho if it was a religious problem from a certain country im sure people wouldnt have been so hasty to laugh.

That's it!

REVDKATHY! I am logging a formal complaint against your use of the term "Reverend!"

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:51
Anyhow from a really wicked SERIOUS point here i just want to state a fact ok.... please DO read this cos even i think its soooo truthfull of this community......

One of the BIGGEST problems onhere is if you throw some bait at mostly anyone oh my dont they take it hook line and sinker !!!!

I actually proved this last night on the other thread by giving out some bull and oh my god did they go for it ha ha ha.... now please texy be that a lesson ok lol cos you must admit YOU DID think i was serious . HEEE HEEEEEE.

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 17:51
I think crazies-corner.maemo.org is more suited.

In all seriousness... that would be awesome ;).

GameboyRMH
2010-05-04, 17:52
i am making a formal objection to the user on this forum with the title of sirmuttley.
It is actually against the law to call yourself a sir without having gained a knighthood.
A knight title can only be granted by the crown, and it is always for services to the british empire.
Therefore it is offensive and immoral to the british empire to call yourself a sir if you indeed have not been knighted by the queen of england.
This is a serious complaint and i certainly hope the administration of meamo.org will look into this matter.

Bwahahaha so much lulz!! :D:D:D:D

"OH NOES SOME DUDE ON TEH INTERNET IS USING A USERNAME STARTING WITH SIR, THIS IS A CRIME!!! :eek:" :D:D:D

Edit: Aw damn you got me.

devu
2010-05-04, 17:52
:D

Okay, how you explain the fact I am already looking at letter from Council Tax sent by British institution indeed and first line of the letter saying:

Dear Sir/Madam

:D

viraptor
2010-05-04, 17:53
First name =/= nickname.

Also maemo.org is owned by Nokia, based in Finland. UK-specific laws do not work in other countries.

NvyUs
Except you.. because we wouldn't want your noble act to be considered Self-Serving :D

the Vatican will be after you b/c you are impersonating a Saint

benny1967
i'm tempted to take abill_uk off my ignore list based on the parts of his posts quoted by other people...

Texrat
2010-05-04, 17:54
That's it!

REVDKATHY! I am logging a formal complaint against your use of the term "Reverend!"

I still think that stands for Revision D.

After her doctorate though she moves up to Revision E.

festivalnut
2010-05-04, 17:55
i proclaim meself sir festie, laird of linwood, lord of lochside, baron of barrhead, earl of easterhouse, bsc ssc. and demand i be addressed as such henceforth!

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 17:55
Just look at the response here.... isnt it just sooo funny lmao.

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 17:57
the Vatican will be after you b/c you are impersonating a Saint

Damnit! They're onto me!

I wonder if I can get Brian ('http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python%27s_Life_of_Brian') to fix this..

gryedouge
2010-05-04, 17:57

how about a poll/vote :D

Sir_Krokofant
2010-05-04, 17:58
I just had to register now.

les_garten
2010-05-04, 18:00
Just look at the response here.... isnt it just sooo funny lmao.

By the power vested in me by the Lollipop Guild, I knight you "Sir Nuttley", now you can hold your head high while having Tea and Crumpets with Sir Muttley...

RevdKathy
2010-05-04, 18:01
I still think that stands for Revision D.

After her doctorate though she moves up to Revision E.

I'm sorry to admit that it's a perfectly legitimate use of Reverend, as I am technically a presbyter in full connexion (sic) with the Methodist Church of Great Britain and Ireland. No doctorate, but posted the masters off today, so got time to play...

Hello world!

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 18:02
I just had to register now.

Thats the spririt old boy lol seems i might have started a new trend on this somewhat BORING at times community .;)

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 18:02
I'm sorry to admit that it's a perfectly legitimate use of Reverend, as I am technically a presbyter in full connexion (sic) with the Methodist Church of Great Britain and Ireland. No doctorate, but posted the masters off today, so got time to play...

Hello world!

I demand documentation.

And, I find abbreviating the title an insult! :D

abill_uk
2010-05-04, 18:03
i'm sorry to admit that it's a perfectly legitimate use of reverend, as i am technically a presbyter in full connexion (sic) with the methodist church of great britain and ireland. No doctorate, but posted the masters off today, so got time to play...

Hello world!

congrats !!!

RevdKathy
2010-05-04, 18:05
I demand documentation.

And, I find abbreviating the title an insult! :D

Exactly who was responsible for canonising you, fatal[b[saint[/b]? And what are you the saint of, might I ask?

(You can use the title in full if you want, but I fear vbulletin won't like it in a user name. I hanker after a docorate cos Revd Dr sounds sooooo cool!)

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 18:08
Exactly who was responsible for canonising you, fatalsaint? And what are you the saint of, might I ask?

(You can use the title in full if you want, but I fear vbulletin won't like it in a user name. I hanker after a docorate cos Revd Dr sounds sooooo cool!)

As I said; Brian ('http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=642917&postcount=62') and I are working on this issue.

I should be able to clarify upon release of PR1.3...

ysss
2010-05-04, 18:11
I can see maemo community's fall back plan...

Masterplan: To collectively create a perfectly scalable linux based smartphone OS.

Plan B: ....to corner the geek comedy circuit.

andrewfblack
2010-05-04, 18:20
I would like to turn my self in. My name is Andrew F Black but in fact I am very very white.

Texrat
2010-05-04, 18:24
I would like to turn my self in. My name is Andrew F Black but in fact I am very very white.

/me files suit over false advertising.

fnordianslip
2010-05-04, 18:26

My name is Darren Long and I ... er, no, never mind.

NvyUs
2010-05-04, 18:27
I object to Texrat using the word RAT in his name b/c as far as i know he is no relation to Master Splinter from TMNT

orcocan
2010-05-04, 18:28
you can just download this file www.megaupload.cn/knighthood1.2 and then you'll have full title to be called Sir/Dame

100% safe, it's the real thing!

andrewfblack
2010-05-04, 18:30
I object to Texrat using the word RAT in his name b/c as far as i know he is no relation to Master Splinter from TMNT

I also hear I was born in New York not Texas so thats a double wammy. (Anyone who used to watch King of the Hill will remember how Hank got all upset when he learned he was from New york and not Texas as he thought for 40 years)

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 18:30
you can just download this file www.megaupload.cn/knighthood1.2 and then you'll have full title to be called Sir/Dame

100% safe, it's the real thing!

Holy ****! It flashed my phone PR1.2 automatically without even being connected too!!!

It appears that in order to be royalty.. you must first have PR1.2!

RevdKathy
2010-05-04, 18:31
Holy ****!

Are saints allowed to say that?

HellFlyer
2010-05-04, 18:33
What's strange about the forum is the fact that talk.maemo.org is actually located in the US but maemo.org is in Finland :D

http://geotool.flagfox.net/?ip=74.86.202.247&host=talk.maemo.org

http://geotool.flagfox.net/?ip=80.248.164.250&host=maemo.org

andrewfblack
2010-05-04, 18:34
What's strange about the forum is the fact that talk.maemo.org is actually located in the US but maemo.org is in Finland :D

http://geotool.flagfox.net/?ip=74.86.202.247&host=talk.maemo.org

http://geotool.flagfox.net/?ip=80.248.164.250&host=maemo.org

t.m.o uses the old internettablettalk.org server. Not the maemo.org servers.

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 18:35
Are saints allowed to say that?

Only when prefixed by "Holy". I am blessing it, see, so that it is not bad.

EIPI
2010-05-04, 18:38
I did not realize that Darius had an English cousin!

andrewfblack
2010-05-04, 18:39
I see this thread is going down hill fast.

fatalsaint
2010-05-04, 18:40
I see this thread is going down hill fast.

Really? I think it's always been pretty much down here at the bottom.. you're just still catching up :D.

jaysire
2010-05-04, 18:48

How dare he! *shakes fist*

SirMuttley
2010-05-04, 20:41
I did look as you suggested on the http://www.ukdps.co.uk/OtherFAQs.html and i found THIS....

A: Although there is no law in the United Kingdom that prevents you from calling yourself by whatever title you like, we will not accept an order for a Deed Poll that includes a first name that may result in others believing you have a conferred or inherited honour, title or rank. This is because of the obvious deception such a first name will cause to the general public. Therefore, applications for a new first name such as Sir, Lord, Lady, Baron, Baroness, Count, Earl, Countess, Duke, Duchess, Colonel etc will not be accepted.

I think you'll find SirMuttley is my surname (haha, Sirname). So this is perfectly legal, thanks for pointing it out. :)

Please continue to amuse me with your crazyness :)

skalogre
2010-05-04, 22:50
Ok. All I can surmise is that the op is an

http://www.cross.eu/_graphics/modProd/nano_anorak1.jpg

that needs this http://www.ehow.com/how_2049858_make-tinfoil-hat.html

cardiff-blues
2010-05-04, 22:51
Now that we are all friends here in the maemo forums and are on first name terms I'd like to finally reveal the best kept secret on this forum.

My true identity is........

'Sir Lemon of Bon Bon' and I have a fine collection of those golden dusted toffee beauties to prove it.

I know 'Sir Sherbet of Lemon' may now take offence and fume because he hates it when ever I make a splash and reveal my identity but don't blame him as he has recently fallen out with Prince Cadbury.

skalogre
2010-05-04, 22:55
Now that we are all friends here in the maemo forums and are on first name terms I'd like to finally reveal the best kept secret on this forum.

'Sir Lemon of Bon Bon' and I have a fine collection of those golden dusted toffee beauties to prove it.

I know 'Sir Sherbet of Lemon' may now take offence and fume because he hates it when ever I make a splash and reveal my identity but don't blame him as he has recently fallen out with Prince Cadbury.

Heed what he says, for he is the The Rt Hon. and Learned Lemon of Bon Bon.

Heed (and bow), you helots!

abill_uk
2010-05-05, 03:16
I think you'll find SirMuttley is my surname (haha, Sirname). So this is perfectly legal, thanks for pointing it out. :)

Please continue to amuse me with your crazyness :)

Listen to me old chap, i really think you and a lot of others on here are just plain crazy in many many ways so hell i might as well join you.
Dont you realise by now it was a huge pisstake out of you and should not have been taken serious ha but there again look what we have on here so i just sat back and pissed myself at the responses. :p

abill_uk
2010-05-05, 03:20

Now that we are all friends on here ???? you are crazy if you think that lol the mobsters on here just want to slit your throat because thats the way it is on here ha. :p

wakkamis
2010-05-05, 03:48
not sure if anyone read thru the E-bay rules he posted earlier or not:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Lord-Lady-...00000008921426

Sir only comes up in the tags, ads and title of the article.

It does not come up in the body of the text.

abill_uk
2010-05-05, 04:12
not sure if anyone read thru the E-bay rules he posted earlier or not:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Lord-Lady-...00000008921426

Sir only comes up in the tags, ads and title of the article.

It does not come up in the body of the text.

It was a pisstake nothing more so dont read too deep into lol.

xomm
2010-05-05, 04:26
So this means I'm liable to be condemmed to hell for being named for a heavenly deity? ;)

Why am I typing like this? I don't know.

vabgeo
2010-05-05, 04:54
Greetings and Salutations

lord_moonraker

paulkoan
2010-05-05, 05:13
abill_uk may have been joking but this is a serious matter. We named our daughter Siriana landed victim to this law. She is now in prison, yet is only three months old.

There was no way we could know, and we were only passing through London on a connecting flight when they pulled us aside.

SirMuttley
2010-05-05, 06:25
Listen to me old chap, i really think you and a lot of others on here are just plain crazy in many many ways so hell i might as well join you.
Dont you realise by now it was a huge pisstake out of you and should not have been taken serious ha but there again look what we have on here so i just sat back and pissed myself at the responses. :p

Congratulations, oh how mighty your wit is. However surely if you read our responses you'd have seen we weren't exactly serious either.

Humour works bother ways old chap, but nevermind ey, chin up. :D

RevdKathy
2010-05-05, 06:45
So this means I'm liable to be condemmed to hell for being named for a heavenly deity? ;)

Why am I typing like this? I don't know.

Don't worry, I have a set of 'get out of hell free' cards as absolutants. Available in return for a small indulgence...

fergusso
2010-05-05, 10:18
Don't worry, I have a set of 'get out of hell free' cards as absolutants. Available in return for a small indulgence...

who wants to have a title of laird, lady, or lord?

just purchase 12inches x 12inches of land situated in lochaber in the mountains of scotland, you'll be sent all the legal documents and instantly have a Lord title.

check this out if you are interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320524650578&ih=011&category=4092&ssPageName=mem_guide:2&rd=1#ht_2955wt_1162

after you purchased the title then the thread starter wont complain if you got a proof for some title

abill_uk
2010-05-05, 10:27
Congratulations, oh how mighty your wit is. However surely if you read our responses you'd have seen we weren't exactly serious either.

Humour works bother ways old chap, but nevermind ey, chin up. :D

HA my chin IS up and was all the way through it as i can honestly say i have never laughed so much for many years so thankyou for that ha ha ha :p

danramos
2010-08-17, 03:44
Sir Mix-A-Lot!

ysss
2010-08-17, 03:57
I would like to formally request that my username be changed to SirYsssSir

danramos
2010-08-17, 04:15
I would like to formally request that my username be changed to SirYsssSir

Sir! Yes sir, SirYsssSir! Sir! Then I wanna be called Lord of the Dans!

Texrat
2010-08-17, 05:25
Ah, dead thread excavation. I remember my first time.

danramos
2010-08-17, 06:29
Ah, dead thread excavation. I remember my first time.

Isn't there any kind of a "humor" section that this should be shoved into? Come on, you can't really take this thread as anything but that.

Bijiont
2010-08-17, 07:01
For once a Necro-Bump I wasn't disappointed with!

This is exactly what I needed while work started to drag.

danramos
2010-08-17, 07:07
For once a Necro-Bump I wasn't disappointed with!

This is exactly what I needed while work started to drag.

The Lord of the Dans is here to entertain you!! [taptaptaptap]

volt
2010-08-17, 07:36
(...) which does in fact state this as breaking the law, the heading of the page is... Lord, Lady, Sir, Knight Titles being sold on eBay

You're that guy who goes around telling women "You're no lady!", aren't you?

danramos
2010-08-17, 07:52
You're that guy who goes around telling women "You're no lady!", aren't you?

I literally laughed out loud. Yes.

volt
2010-08-17, 10:31
I think "Lord of the Danes" is so excellent, Denmark should officially grant you that title.

abill_uk
2010-08-17, 12:01
Blimy is this thread still going? oh well at least it is a fun one.

ndi
2010-08-17, 14:54
It was until danramos said what we were all thinking and trying not to laugh.

You, sir, need a fsck.

Texrat
2010-08-17, 14:55
Isn't there any kind of a "humor" section that this should be shoved into? Come on, you can't really take this thread as anything but that.

This is it. Seriously.

danramos
2010-08-17, 19:11
This is it. Seriously.

I'm not sure how you mean that. Are you agreeing or telling me to stop or.. what?

sjgadsby
2010-08-17, 20:00
I'm not sure how you mean that. Are you agreeing or telling me to stop or.. what?

You asked for a humor section. Texrat is saying this (Off-Topic) is it (the humor section).

danramos
2010-08-17, 20:03
You asked for a humor section. Texrat is saying this (Off-Topic) is it (the humor section).

Then how can I take what he said seriously? :)

sjgadsby
2010-08-17, 20:07
Then how can I take what he said seriously?

He was wearing his yellow, "serious" hat when he said it.

extendedping
2010-08-17, 20:14
I wish my thread about getting fedora working had this many posts.

danramos
2010-08-17, 21:27

Maybe if you change your name to "SirExtendedPing"...

Texrat
2010-08-17, 21:28
Should I be glad or concerned that sjgadsby "gets me"?

Texrat
2010-08-17, 21:28

Yellow hats are more popular than red ones.

danramos
2010-08-17, 23:41

There's something unpalatable about a "yellow hat." :P

ysss
2010-08-18, 04:16
Some people work in their fedoras too.

RevdKathy
2010-08-18, 16:18

Some of have reached the ripe old age of the purple hat. :(

ndi
2010-08-18, 16:24
Can an off-topic thread go off-topic? Is it un-off-topicable?

If it can't be off-topic, then it's always on topic, in which case it shouldn't be here?

Shouldn't this be renamed to on-topic?

If I relate my answer to the "sir" issue, am I on topic in off-topic? Am I breaking rules?

How many of these questions can I post before there's a knock on my door?

fatalsaint
2010-08-18, 16:41
Can an off-topic thread go off-topic? Is it un-off-topicable?

If it can't be off-topic, then it's always on topic, in which case it shouldn't be here?

Shouldn't this be renamed to on-topic?

If I relate my answer to the "sir" issue, am I on topic in off-topic? Am I breaking rules?

How many of these questions can I post before there's a knock on my door?

If ndi types, and nobody is around cares to read it... did he really type anything? :p ;)

ndi
2010-08-18, 16:44
You, sir, are off-topic.

:)

bjknight
2010-08-18, 20:47
Me: Fully-qualified barrister in England.
Answer: No. It is not against the law to use Sir in this context.
p.s. - don't even get me started on the jurisdictional issues of actions resulting from this forum's use.

aligatro
2010-08-18, 20:55

Maemo.org is both registered(domain) and hosted in Finland. And British laws don't apply there. So, no one is gonna change anything.

bjknight
2010-08-18, 20:57
Actually, the location of the hosting is not always the decider on matters of jurisdiction but that's for another day.

aligatro
2010-08-18, 21:10
Actually, the location of the hosting is not always the decider on matters of jurisdiction but that's for another day.

For this case, FInland's ISP will probably laugh at the request and delete the message. :D

bjknight
2010-08-18, 21:22
Or just ignore it. Which is what we should all have done, I suppose.

Troll isn't hungry anymore. Night all.

riceboy
2010-08-19, 00:08
thank you for this thread good sir! you just made my morning lol

danramos
2010-08-19, 09:07
Me: Fully-qualified barrister in England.
Answer: No. It is not against the law to use Sir in this context.
p.s. - don't even get me started on the jurisdictional issues of actions resulting from this forum's use.

bjknight... are you a real knight? If you aren't, is it legal for you to have the name 'bjknight?' Also, what's the BJ stand for? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

thank you for this thread good sir! you just made my morning lol

No, no... thank yewwww for reading this stuff and being brave enough to stroke our ego with a compliment, thereby ASSURING that this necro-zombie thread never truly dies. ;)

SirMuttley
2010-08-19, 11:24
errr, wtf?

abill_uk
2010-08-19, 12:59

Thats it you tell em ! if he is in Finland then a de-portation order should be granted so he can be brought to blighty and be-headed !.

danramos
2010-08-19, 20:04
I OBJECT! Death penalty is not a legal form of punishment in the UK. Please serve abill_uk papers for this atrocity! ;)

fnordianslip
2010-08-19, 20:21
I OBJECT! Death penalty is not a legal form of punishment in the UK. Please serve abill_uk papers for this atrocity! ;)

In a Kenny Everett sketch, the judge worked around this by sentencing the guilty person to be hung by the neck until he was very poorly.

danramos
2010-08-19, 20:26
In a Kenny Everett sketch, the judge worked around this by sentencing the guilty person to be hung by the neck until he was very poorly.

Until he was very poorly...

Come on! Finish the sentence! Don't leave us HANGING!

Texrat
2010-08-19, 21:35
If ndi types, and nobody is around cares to read it... did he really type anything? :p ;)

Provocative thought.

Almost makes me want to put the Banhammer back in the closet.

:D (/me wishes for a more evil grin)

YoDude
2010-08-19, 22:39
Thats it you tell em ! if he is in Finland then a de-portation order should be granted so he can be brought to blighty and be-headed !.

Now that you are jumping on the humor bandwagon; why did you start this thread to begin with?

Were you joking all along?

If so, I have seen you make accusations in other threads or comment about other members based on their response to this thread.

What's up with that dude?

Are you a comedic genius operating at a level so far above me that I won't quite "get it" until years later?

danramos
2010-08-19, 23:19
Are you a comedic genius operating at a level so far above me that I won't quite "get it" until years later?

Like a geekier Andy Kaufman?

ndi
2010-08-20, 12:58
errr, wtf?

"I dare say, old chap, what is this matter you speak of?".

RevdKathy
2010-08-20, 16:50
Provocative thought.

Almost makes me want to put the Banhammer back in the closet.

:D (/me wishes for a more evil grin)

Petition Reggie to add one of these:

xomm
2010-08-20, 17:14

*Insane amount of emoticon requests ensue.*

YoDude
2010-08-21, 11:54
Like a geekier Andy Kaufman?

Good point.

I didn't quite get Andy Kaufman until after he was gone.

Perhaps that is an option the OP should consider in order to be better understood. :)

abill_uk
2010-08-21, 13:08
Yodood you are either 2 shilling short of a pound or you just cannot see a good joke when you see one !.

I would have carried the joke a LOT further but somebody called Texrat (and a RAT he is) spoilt it all cos even he thought same as you !.

Yanks never did have a wicked sence of hooomur ha ha ha.

daperl
2010-08-21, 14:45

Yeah, we much prefer tasteless humor, like keeping you around for instance. Or even something like:

I caught The Queen giggling when I asked if I could be

Sir Blow Me

I didn't get the title, but she did give me my first white-gloved hand job.

Texrat
2010-08-21, 20:43

I want both!

YoDude
2010-08-21, 22:34
Yodood you are either 2 shilling short of a pound or you just cannot see a good joke when you see one !.

I would have carried the joke a LOT further but somebody called Texrat (and a RAT he is) spoilt it all cos even he thought same as you !.

And you sir are not only are a waste of space but you are a lying waste of space. A bag of putrid wind that seems to just hang there and obscure other peoples views.

In the following quoted post found in the beginning of this thread you apparently took some pleasure in wasting a moderators time and solicited our Administrators addy in order to waste his.

I say "our" because like you I am a member of this organization and feel that our forum Administrators and Moderators have better things to spend their limited amount of available time on. Unlike your vain, attention seeking posts demanding it, these other things they could be spending their time on, could benefit us all. :)

BTW, I no more speak for all "Yanks" than you do for all Englishmen. I have however spent 9 years of my life living, working, laughing, and playing with my English colleagues through out the British Isles. Back then I averaged 250 days per year on the road and as a result have many friends in large cities from Belfast to London and towns and hamlets from Dedham Vale to Merthyr Tydfil. I'm sure one of these friends would agree to meet with you up close and personal like on my behalf in order to help clarify your mind.

If you can wait, I still have business in Cannock and Wolverhampton that I should be attending to in Autumn. Perhaps we can meet for drinks and discuss this more. :cool:

In the mean time you might consider your posting style more carefully. As I said before, I believe your presumption to speak for, or include whole classes of people in your many bogus statements is what might tend to piss people off.

I'll leave you now in this bogus thread that you started and as I walk off I'll be putting on my "Whatever Dude" hat. Have a superb day! :)

danramos
2010-08-23, 08:16
Jane, you ignorant slut. ;)

mr_xzibit
2010-08-29, 20:12

dude wtf! where do you get your facts from

you can call yourself what ever you like!!! there is no law against that. i am lord bob. see the police aint knocking on my door.

he has not changed his Legal title. there are no contracts to sign on this forum its a ****ing username!

atilla
2010-08-29, 20:33
abill_uk i really dont have something against you.
but with every post from you i've read,
i think a little bit more that something is really wrong with you

danramos
2010-09-01, 09:50
dude wtf! where do you get your facts from

you can call yourself what ever you like!!! there is no law against that. i am lord bob. see the police aint knocking on my door.

he has not changed his Legal title. there are no contracts to sign on this forum its a ****ing username!

I'm now formally protesting abill_uk's use of the article "a" as a prefix to his username "bill" and further protesting his use of a country (uk) as the suffix, seeing as how he has NO authority to claim to represent the UK in any form or fashion. :)

YoDude
2010-09-01, 12:31
I'm now formally protesting abill_uk's use of the article "a" as a prefix to his username "bill" and further protesting his use of a country (uk) as the suffix, seeing as how he has NO authority to claim to represent the UK in any form or fashion. :)

And I formally object to your user name "danramos" because as anyone can plainly see, it is an anagram of the words: No Madras and an affront to those of us who wish to wear madras.

http://getkempt.com/photos/articles/madras_crop.jpg

I suppose you also have something against clashing bow ties too. :mad:

Why can't I post in the clothes I am most comfortable in?

Until a mod or administrator rectifies this issue, I will no longer wear any clothes when posting on talk.maemo.org :cool:

fahadj2003
2010-09-01, 14:27

what the heck jus happened :S

**EDIT

Even more blatantly, the inquiry was told the group did have guns on board, but “the mercenaries threw their weapons overboard after the commandos took control of the vessel”. Because that’s classic guerrilla training, to carry guns right up until the moment when the enemy arrives, and then throw them away. This is the strategy of all great military thinkers. That’s why Nelson, at the Battle of Trafalgar said: “Men, I see the French, and so let every Englishmen do his duty, and chuck all our weapons in the sea. That’ll teach the bastards.”

ndi
2010-09-01, 20:50
And I formally object to your user name

Big words for all you anti-Korean people. Prancing around with No Kia visibly written all over your phones. Shame on you.

I knew something was up when you started bashing Sam Sung, poor guy. Same goes for Phil Lips and your contempt for Motor Ola shows no respect for your latin cousins as well.

Let's not even start about that poor Andy Roid you keep making ugly and underdeveloped.

danramos
2010-09-02, 08:00
Big words for all you anti-Korean people. Prancing around with No Kia visibly written all over your phones. Shame on you.

Wow, actually.. that's pretty good. One of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments. :)

ysss
2010-09-02, 15:25
I love the level of insanity showcased in this thread.

dana.s
2010-09-02, 17:10
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc132/rasengannn/gifs/objection.gif
:p

danramos
2010-09-02, 22:58
I love the level of insanity showcased in this thread.

http://pleco.org/heh/insp_captkirk.png

danramos
2010-09-07, 07:43
Oh come now, there MUST be more to this thread than just this! ;)

atilla
2010-09-07, 08:08
Oh come now, there MUST be more to this thread than just this! ;)

you totally right.
so i want share something crazy with you too--

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/0/02/20050804114150%21Nacktmull.jpg

ysss
2010-09-07, 13:08
http://pleco.org/heh/insp_captkirk.png

CAUTION!!

You've reached the apex of absurdity.

Please turn back..

geneven
2010-09-07, 13:38
This thread is an irrefutable argument for the off topic section. Although, maybe it is an even better argument for an "off planet" section.

ndi
2010-09-07, 18:26
Off planet is too far. Move to /b/?

danramos
2010-09-07, 18:28
This thread is an irrefutable argument for the off topic section. Although, maybe it is an even better argument for an "off planet" section.

You haven't really been off-planet until you've been to Deneb V. Just don't screw the green women, trust me on this.

fatalsaint
2010-09-07, 19:42
Off planet is too far. Move to /b/?

I'd venture a move to /b/ is actually further than a different planet....

Any planet... in any galaxy... :D

fpp
2010-09-07, 21:25
I've been to every planet in the HHGTTG, except the Vogon's.

But what the heck is /b/ ?...

danramos
2010-09-07, 21:31
I've been to every planet in the HHGTTG, except the Vogon's.

But what the heck is /b/ ?...

I dare say that the Guide probably hasn't sent anybody there yet. Perhaps you should grab a towel, hitch a ride with your Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic thumb and make the first entry.

fpp
2010-09-07, 21:33
Have suitcase, will travel. But which way ?...

fatalsaint
2010-09-07, 21:41
Have suitcase, will travel. But which way ?...

All directions end at /b/. It lies just beyond Milliways, just don't forget to deposit your penny before you depart. :D

RevdKathy
2010-09-08, 16:19
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me.

sjgadsby
2010-09-08, 17:26
I've been to paradise...

Hey, me too. It's close by, right near Bird in Hand, Intercourse, and Blue Ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercourse,_Pennsylvania).

RevdKathy
2010-09-08, 17:35
You sure you're not confusing that with Hell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Nord-Tr%C3%B8ndelag)?

zehjotkah
2010-09-08, 17:46
I think we should waste our time with Vogon poetry...

be right back...

okay, here we are:

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

RevdKathy
2010-09-08, 17:55
You know, looking at that makes me wonder whether Charles Dodgson wasn't Vogon.

T'was brillig and the slythy toves did gyre and gimble....

zehjotkah
2010-09-08, 18:15
You know, looking at that makes me wonder whether Charles Dodgson wasn't Vogon.

T'was brillig and the slythy toves did gyre and gimble....

You know that the Vogon's poetry is only the third worst in the universe..
Guess which one's the worst...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxPeIiU2kx4

fpp
2010-09-08, 19:03
But seriously now guys, being from off-planet myself, some cultural references elude me.

Even Google, instant or not, knows nothing about this /b/.

Is this something knowable only to peta-post, zetta-karma higher initiates ? Morse code for Xanadu ? /PJ/ ? Or what ?

sjgadsby
2010-09-08, 19:11
Is this something knowable only to peta-post, zetta-karma higher initiates ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4chan#.2Fb.2F

fatalsaint
2010-09-08, 19:38
Even Google, instant or not, knows nothing about this /b/.

I see sjgadsby linked it.. but a google search with "I'm Feeling Lucky" would've taken you right there :).

sjgadsby
2010-09-08, 19:42
...a google search with "I'm Feeling Lucky" would've taken you right there

Wikipedia just seemed a kinder introduction.

fatalsaint
2010-09-08, 19:46
Wikipedia just seemed a kinder introduction.

Well the I'm Feeling Lucky actually takes you to the 4chan wiki site... that's what I meant. You were just a little more specific going right to the /b/ section.

I would never recommend anybody that wants to keep their sanity to actually go there... "the ******* of the Internets" sums it up quite nicely..

fpp
2010-09-08, 20:13
I see sjgadsby linked it..

Thanks to both of you !

but a google search with "I'm Feeling Lucky" would've taken you right there :).

Not on my local Google it doesn't, and http://www.lagoonb.com/ is much less fun !

4chan only comes in second, and I didn't make the connection, as I don't cruise inside that orbit.

Man, what a strange planet. No wonder nobody ever submitted an entry for the Guide, they'd get sacked with expenses unpaid. Mostly harmless, eh ?

As soon as my replacement discombobulator comes through on the smugglers' shuttle, I'm outta here. I just got a tweet from our colleague Karel Jansens, lately he's been partying on some living planet with sexy blue cats and actual flying dragons on it, sounds fun !

ndi
2010-09-08, 20:28
Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations

I tried that out loud and the sky turned red. Next time I'll try while not root.

danramos
2010-09-09, 21:36
I tried that out loud and the sky turned red. Next time I'll try while not root.

I wonder what would happen if I read that outloud to my Droid's voice recognition keyboard? o.O

YoDude
2010-09-09, 21:51
I wonder what would happen if I read that outloud to my Droid's voice recognition keyboard? o.O

Nothing... the sky only turns red if you are @ root. :p

danramos
2010-09-09, 21:57
I formally object to YoDude's use of the name "Dude" because he can't be The Dude. We all know The Dude wouldn't be hanging out in a thread like this when he could be out bowling.

danramos
2010-09-10, 06:56
I would like to formally object to my previous objection!

YoDude
2010-09-11, 01:24
I would like to formally object to my previous objection!

You should... We are in fact two different dudes, dude. :(

He would be:

The Dude or His Dudeness, and his formal title is El Duderino (if you're not into the whole brevity thing).

I however would be a dude who has been bestowed the title:

Yo, Prince of Po' Bo', PA, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Locust Alley Rug Rats, Bringer of Precipitation, HMFWIC, OB/GYN, and Defender of the Faith.
(Faith happens to be the name of my wife, The Duchess of Locust Alley. )

We do not require that our full title/style be used when one addresses us. If one does choose to do so we understand that it would be an expression of the deep love and respect one has for us and therefore we would not find fault or voice objection...

:)

danramos
2010-09-13, 21:24
Sir Vince Whithersmyle

danramos
2010-10-29, 09:13
I formally object to my own use of SIR GENEVEN in another thread here on TMO! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! :)

YoDude
2010-10-29, 13:46
I formally object to my own use of SIR GENEVEN in another thread here on TMO! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! :)

Well then... For this an the other offenses that you have committed against the crown, namely, the use of this blasphemous "android" thing we are hearing about, you punishment is clear...

You shall be drawn on a hurdle to the place of execution where you shall be hanged by the neck and being alive cut down, your privy members shall be cut off and your bowels taken out and burned before you, your head severed from your body and your body divided into four quarters to be disposed of at the King’s pleasure.

atilla
2010-10-29, 17:31
wow this thread is still active?
what happend to abill?
i think i saw him yesterday flying around the sky...

geneven
2010-10-29, 19:46

Hey, how did I get in this thread I never looked into? Isn't there some sort of amnesty law about this? Have you no decency?

(joking, but this is my first time on this thread, hopefully the last)

bunanson
2010-10-29, 21:21
I am sadden by the existence of this thread, just the mere existence saddened bunanson, (an icon with tear drop in the eye?)

Did we see somebody here named himself/herself/childishself God? And there is NOT even one objection, and comparatively we now have an honest servent of the UK stand up for her majesty... I felt sorry for God. Amen,

a nitdroid nut named,

bun

danramos
2010-10-30, 10:21
Holy crap! People replied! ...er, I mean... I now formally OBJECT to your objects and I conveniently replace it with my own objection and also I'm drunk. :)

vi_
2011-04-06, 13:21
Neeeeecroooo baaaaampppp

PLS dont let this thread die!

ysss
2011-04-06, 13:46
What do you think; was this a serious complaint or was it the greatest forum trolling ever?

Either way, I nominate him for an Oscar :)

abill_uk
2011-04-06, 14:19
It was a serious complaint untill Texrat got into the works :p :D

Nobody has the right to call themself a "Sir" untill knighthood has taken place so there !!!.

ysss
2011-04-06, 14:27
It was a serious complaint untill Texrat got into the works :p :D

Nobody has the right to call themself a "Sir" untill knighthood has taken place so there !!!.

Lol, you're a good sport dude. Delusional at times, but a good sport nonetheless.

And a good bit of education to the British lawls for the rest of us too.

Cheers!

mishmich
2011-04-06, 19:43
Good job Count Basie and Duke Ellington weren't aware of this.

glabifrons
2011-04-06, 20:54
After reading through this epic thread (I'm sick with the flu so can't bother to think much), I'm stunned that no-one brought up GeneralAntilles... after all, in the US, impersonating an officer of the military is a serious crime! (and he and I are in the same state!)

danramos
2011-08-01, 07:54
Nobody ever brought up Microsoft for GENERAL Protection Fault, so why bother?

mrsellout
2011-08-09, 23:15
Just a bump to mark the passing of Mr A Bill, possibly his craziest moment on tmo. May we never see his like again.

geneven
2011-08-09, 23:59
Do we know whether he was permanently banned?

I think we did see the like in Orange_Box, who did less and was banned faster.

Texrat
2011-08-10, 04:39
all right, no need for any "ding dong, the witch is dead" posts.

abill_uk
2011-08-12, 14:06
Do we know whether he was permanently banned?

I think we did see the like in Orange_Box, who did less and was banned faster.

Are there any HIGH bridges near you ? ;)