View Full Version : N800 - Inserting SD card sucks up RAM
03-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I've been having instability problems in the last few days. Random reboots, very slow performance, applications locking up. I'm not sure what it is. It seemed to happen after upgrading to maemo-mapper 1.4.3... but I can't say that is the sole reason.
Today, I started up top in an XTerm session before inserting the external 2GB SD card. I had ~60MB of free RAM. I insert the card, it drops like a rock down to ~20MB of free RAM. On this card I have some maps for maemo-mapper. No other files. I wonder if this is part of the problem? Why would I lose so much RAM by just inserting a memory card?
03-17-2007, 09:03 AM
More information... I looked at the Memory applet in the Control Panel. It says that this SD card is 99% full. I looked at the details and it report 4500GB used and 1.7GB available. That's right 4500GB and it was still counting up!!! Something is wrong. Is it the N800 or the SD card? Do I need to reflash?
03-17-2007, 09:20 AM
it seems it is a big problem caused by metalayer-crawler0 session crawlsing media data on sd card. this is a bug of n800 code - bugzilla bug #978.
bybbyby changing code of /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 file to disable crawling, it works
now.y changing code of /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 file to disable crawling, it works now.
03-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the reply... but, how do I disable it? Will it affect anything else?
03-17-2007, 09:56 AM
I found another thread somewhere related to this. I added exit 0 to the second line in the metalayer-crawler0 file.
03-17-2007, 10:39 AM
I have had this problem description, and have eventually had to reflash to fix it. It has happened several times. I don't identify it with a specific program. I don't have it now and have been using Maemo Mapper a lot.
03-18-2007, 01:14 PM
to disable metalayer-crawler0: add "exit 0" after the first command line of /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 file, or replace command line for start and restart command with command line for stop ( dsmtool -k ...... ).
switch off and reboot, it works now.
media player can also work after this change.
(except one time, i have not encount high load display again. it seems that it is of use.)
wish this helps.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.