maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Games (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   DOSBox 0.65 ... ftw (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=5686)

rdcinhou 2008-01-27 03:48

Re: DOSBox 0.65 ... ftw

Something that I've noticed about dosbox is that while running, it pegs the CPU. It must use polled I/O instead of interrupt-driven I/O.

This means it can chew up a battery pretty fast.

Software written for mobile devices needs to think "low power" first.

OSEmuTech 2008-01-27 03:53

Cool! Thank you very much Smothermunchie. I'll be trying that keyboard map out (it saves me time to create my own). I saw that you people were messing with keymaps earlier, but I didn't see any screenshot of one that looks as good as your's in the previous post.

I have meant to try it, but shell scripting should work under Maemo right? I plan on creating easy launch scripts and find again (somewhere on this forum) how to add program shortcuts to the menu.

PS: I edited my previous post (twice) before seeing your post.

dick-richardson 2008-01-27 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech (Post 134231)
Cool! Thank you very much Smothermunchie. I'll be trying that keyboard map out (it saves me time to create my own). I saw that you people were messing with keymaps earlier, but I didn't see any screenshot of one that looks as good as your's in the previous post.

I have meant to try it, but shell scripting should work under Maemo right? I plan on creating easy launch scripts and find again (somewhere on this forum) how to add program shortcuts to the menu.

PS: I edited my previous post (twice) before seeing your post.

Yes, shell scripting works well. And adding icons to the panel is easy as copying a .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/hildon and modifying it to do what you want.

I have a couple dosbox games with icons, as well as an ntp update script, reboot, and a backup script.

OSEmuTech 2008-01-27 05:24

Nokia should have a link to this helpful forum as it's as great as their tablets. Thank you Dick. :p

I noticed that Smothermunchie's keyboard map is also missing some keys I need, so I might investigate modifying it myself tomorrow.

Right now I'm installing MathCAD 6 on DOSBox and hope to get Visual C++ 1.52c installed soon too.

I noticed the other thread about games playable on DOSBox ... games test the limits of the emulator while applications run fine. Does anyone else run non-games on DOSBox here?

Applications that I've tested and work:
  • Microsoft Macro Assembler (MASM) 6.11d
  • Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (mouse has problems releasing windows)
  • Microsoft C 6.0
  • Maplesoft Maple V5 3.0

Addison 2008-01-27 05:29

Quote:

Yes, shell scripting works well. And adding icons to the panel is easy as copying a .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/hildon and modifying it to do what you want.

I have a couple dosbox games with icons, as well as an ntp update script, reboot, and a backup script.

Oooh.... Hey dick-richardson, any chance you could write up a fail safe, step by step direction on how to do this in a nutshell for idiots that don't know the first thing about linux?

It would be awesome if I could throw in a couple of icons on the desktop that would launch the custom dosbox.conf for each game as well as my generated custom keyboard as well.

That would be tight! :)

ArnimS 2008-01-27 16:42

User 'jott' in #maemo has found a workaround for the problem with SDL and the FN key on N810. I don't know if his changes are acceptable for general-purpose SDL programs, but my tests so far seem to indicate it works well enough.

Also note that if you have a non-us N810 keyboard layout, you can get improved (but not perfect) keymapping with the DOS 'keyb' command. For e.g. with a german keyboard, 'keyb gr' will get you a properly mapped ":". It appears however that we will need to create dosbox keymapper files for each N810 layout.

OSEmuTech 2008-01-27 19:00

MathCAD 6 Plus is choking on Win32s, so I'll try installing the last version of Win32s.

But Visual C++ 1.52 runs well on DOSBox.

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/.../dbvc152_b.png

kurupted 2008-01-31 03:49

so how would i go about running this "work around" on my n810. i found a log using google. http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23mae...01-27.log.html
thats about as far as i can get about trying to figure this out by myself. help thanks

Addison 2008-02-07 20:33

Okay dude. Pop quiz.

In dosbox.conf I have replaced:

mapperfile=mapper.txt
with
mapperfile=/media/mmc2/mapper.txt

You stated that this gives you the maximize/minimize toggle, and cycles adjustment with +/- buttons.

But it's not working chief. I've tried everything including using the ALT key on Xkbd with the maximize/minimize buttons as well as trying it in combination with the Ctrl key.

So I give, what I am not seeing on this?

Thanks. :)

Bundyo 2008-02-08 12:15

He meant the hardware buttons :) And it is working for sure, so check the path too.