maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Maemo Mapper v2.0 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=11245)

mjc 2007-11-03 18:30

Re: Maemo Mapper v2.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuite (Post 90303)
What part of the world are you browsing when you see the bogus route lines?

Mine are appearing in NE USA.

Mara 2007-11-03 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara (Post 90115)
Thanks Gnuite for this great app! Just installed this new version. Overall it feels pretty good for first release.

I did find some issues, one of which is serious: I did download maps on some areas using the "tap tap tap" method, and MaemoMapper did crash on me few times. That didn't cause issues until the last time now it seem like the database is corrupted. In some certain zoom levels I can no longer download new maps without MaemoMapper crashing/closing without warning. I did try to rename the database file to "old" and started a new database, after which the problem did go away.

Right now when there wasn't much map data this is not a big deal, but if I did have "the whole world" in there I'd be upset... I think there is a need to add some sort of database integrity check feature, to correct database problems (when) they happen?

Second issue, which I have an open Bugzilla bug #1752, is that when I have RTComm installed on N800 MaemoMapper never detects missing bluetooth GPS receiver... it just keeps saying "Searching for GPS receiver" indefinitely. Without RTComm it (version 1.4 at least) gives up after about 10 seconds and lets user to either retry or cancel. Not sure if this is a RTComm or MaemoMapper problem.

Just an update: After upgrading to 2.0.1 I have not experienced crashes any more.

S2000FSU 2007-11-03 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplawner (Post 89887)
I'm having a problem I didn't have before. Holux GPSslim 240... It makes a connection, but sits on Establishing gps fix. Only found a reboot sorts it out. Sorry I don't have more details yet. Haven't had muuch time to play.

And, yes, i certainly had an established signal in the gps itself (it has an indicator)

I'm also seeing this with a Holux GPSlim that works fine with MM 1.4 my 770 and my Treo.

EDIT: After a reboot of my N800, it now works great!

gnuite 2007-11-03 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpp (Post 90318)
That said, on my French version of OS2006 (770) the Help file doesn't show up : the menu item launches the Help viewer, which complains the topic can't be found or something, then displays a list of all available help topics, without anything like "maemo mapper" inside. Maybe a localization issue ? The "About..." dialog doesn't show up, either.

To be honest, I haven't tested the help files much in non-english environments. I guess it's too much to ask Maemo to fall back to the en_GB help file if the fr_FR help file is not found. I guess I have to copy the english help file to new directories, one for each locale? What a disaster.... Maybe I'm missing something and there's a way to specify a "default" help file?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpp (Post 90318)
Another thing : I installed 2.0 over a previous 1.x version, but did not have time to try it out, then updated to 2.0.1 and launched that (both installs went without a glitch, which is saying something about your abilities, man :-). On that first launch I had a message saying that my old maps would be converted to the new format, but I don't think anything happened (no lengthy processing etc.). Is this to be expected? I was under the impression that all maps would have to be re-downloaded anyway...

The only thing it "converts" is the repository info itself. All it really does is append ".db" to your former cache directory's name, after which it creates a new file and starts using that as the cache database. Yes, you need to re-download all your maps, but your old maps are still there, in case you ever want to go back to v1.x.

gnuite 2007-11-03 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjc (Post 90319)
Mine are appearing in NE USA.

Does it happen with any random route, or is there anything significant about your route? I'm not going to ask you for your exact route, but I need some idea of what to look for....

(I have been unable to reproduce the problem. :-/ I just need to find a way to reproduce it, then I can fix it.)

gnuite 2007-11-03 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2000FSU (Post 90351)
I'm also seeing this with a Holux GPSlim that works fine with MM 1.4 my 770 and my Treo.

Would anyone with a Holux GPS receiver be kind enough to record an entire NMEA session (including startup and shutdown) into a file and PM it to me? I don't have a Holux, so I can't reproduce the problem without an NMEA file that I can play back....

Are any other GPS receivers (other than Holux) having problems with connection?

S2000FSU 2007-11-03 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuite (Post 90365)
Would anyone with a Holux GPS receiver be kind enough to record an entire NMEA session (including startup and shutdown) into a file and PM it to me? I don't have a Holux, so I can't reproduce the problem without an NMEA file that I can play back....

Are any other GPS receivers (other than Holux) having problems with connection?

After a reboot of my N800, it now works great! Sorry, should have tried this before posting. I just installed 2.0 this morning (on top of 1.4) and hadn't restarted yet.

I'd be happy to try to capture a log of the Holux, but don't know how. If you'll send instructions I'll try, but otherwise, it's workin' fine for me.

gnuite 2007-11-03 21:12

Hmm... I don't like problems that just "disappear." S2000FSU, a few questions, if I may:

What is your platform? 770 or N800? OS2006 or OS2007?
If N800, did you install the RTComm stuff?
Did you "pair" the GPS receiver to your N800?

S2000FSU 2007-11-03 21:20

N800 with OS2007. It is 'pair'ed, but I didn't install the RTComm stuff (that I know of).

fpp 2007-11-03 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuite (Post 90362)
To be honest, I haven't tested the help files much in non-english environments. I guess it's too much to ask Maemo to fall back to the en_GB help file if the fr_FR help file is not found. I guess I have to copy the english help file to new directories, one for each locale? What a disaster.... Maybe I'm missing something and there's a way to specify a "default" help file?

Well, I can always try to rename and/or move around the help file, if I can find out where it is :-)
Quote:

The only thing it "converts" is the repository info itself. All it really does is append ".db" to your former cache directory's name, after which it creates a new file and starts using that as the cache database. Yes, you need to re-download all your maps, but your old maps are still there, in case you ever want to go back to v1.x.
Thanks, that makes it a lot clearer !