maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   PR 1.3. Leaked? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64078)

Clubberlang 2010-10-21 21:54

Re: PR 1.3. Leaked?

is vsync fixed?

Please say yes

Reffyyyy 2010-10-21 22:05

@Clubberlang

I extremely doubt it. I believe it was marked as a WONTFIX a long time ago.

Clubberlang 2010-10-21 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffyyyy (Post 847480)
@Clubberlang

I extremely doubt it. I believe it was marked as a WONTFIX a long time ago.

arghh that's what i thought. People are saying the SGX driver was updated though.

sony123 2010-10-21 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clubberlang (Post 847490)
arghh that's what i thought. People are saying the SGX driver was updated though.

The driver is updated but it is for bug fixes, vsync still disabled and will always be like this on Maemo 5.

Netweaver 2010-10-21 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by sony123 (Post 847495)
The driver is updated but it is for bug fixes, vsync still disabled and will always be like this on Maemo 5.

The proper VSYNC enabled SGX driver needs an newer kernel level, not the crappy old version we (and PR1.3) are on.

So, not going to be fixed for Maemo 5 ever ... Unless a newer kernel can be made backwards compatible. But it seems the kernel has moved on too much to be easily retrofitted.

Too bad. Let's hope Meego or NITdroid are coming soon in a usable form.

bristoldave 2010-10-21 23:30

Quote:

You can now enter a lowercase letter at the beginning of a sentence.
Praise be! :D

YoDude 2010-10-22 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 847346)
Well, I would love to see this all summarized somewhere. I would say that the overwhelming preponderance of warnings were hysterically overstated and the disasters they predicted never came true. I suppose someone could have said something accurate at one time or another...

Just as an aside, I felt that the tone of warnings about leaked PR1.2 and the tone of warnings about overclocking were very similar. In both cases, most people with sense ignored them and benefited as a result. Enough time has elapsed now that it's pretty clear that few if any disasters ensued.

Ah time. That is the essence of "it" isn't it. Not to belabor this discussion but some warnings were valid for a time that has since elapsed.

For a time, until a work around was deduced rolling back from the leak would cause problems.
For a time, some programs didn't work at all.
For a time, the virtual keyboard for most 3rd party themes did not display correctly.

All this was worked out eventually but until that "time", a lot of people were lost. Hell, just weeding through the threads here during that "time" was an incredible waste of "it", even for those who weren't lost.

In the end, what ever time was gained by loading the leaked version early was lost to the time spent trying to work around problems that were eventually solved with the official release.

You are right though, after all was said and done, there was no need for the dire warnings that were posted.
However, there was also no need for all the sniveling that was posted here too. :)

So perhaps what we all should agree on is that even if someone FUBAR's their N900 installing or flashing anything, someone in this community will post on this forum how to correct it... eventually. :)

Until that "time" if a FUBAR was not caused by something produced and distributed by this community (including Nokia RC's or leaks) there should be no dang sniveling. :cool:

Now I'm going to get me a snack and a cold beer so please, bring on the screenshots if anyone has this installed. :)

TomJ 2010-10-22 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxximuscool (Post 846604)
That's why you monitor there conversation (google translator) and wait for someone else to try before you do and confirm that he is safe lol. It's the same thing as someone cracking software on their computer, or downloading .exe files from some site then installing it on their PC, little does he knows how safe the file could be, or what harm could be done to his computer and his privacy. Still he insist and try it out anyway. :)

That's just human nature, we are one risky race on this planet. Everyone is a gambler at some point right :)

There is a risk but risk is worth taken if you don't try it out then you wouldn't know. The chinese dude is either a Nokia employee in China branch or he could be a friend of one of the China testers branch.

Confirm it's safe? How, pray? As I said during the last fiasco, unless you can decompile the thing, how do you know there's no keylogger or bot waiting for a certain date or othjer trigger to kick in? Indeed, how do you know the person "confirming it's safe" has any clue of how to notice whether such a thing's installed? These threads are social engineering attacks waitnig to happen...

dchky 2010-10-22 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomJ (Post 848044)
Confirm it's safe? How...

The first nail:

MyNokia - forced to activate it, forced to pay for it, nowhere on the box or documentation does it mention this.

If it calls home to its creator without a way to disable it before doing so, it is malware. Period.

By this definition the 'official' version is in reality already exactly what your comment warns about.

tswindell 2010-10-22 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchky (Post 848085)
The first nail:

MyNokia - forced to activate it, forced to pay for it, nowhere on the box or documentation does it mention this.

If it calls home to its creator without a way to disable it before doing so, it is malware. Period.

By this definition the 'official' version is in reality already exactly what your comment warns about.

It was written on my box. and there is a work around, take the sim out after flashing and remove the sms from the outbox.