maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   [GENERAL NOTICE] Service Downtime (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88659)

Piotr 2013-01-29 16:50

Re: [GENERAL NOTICE] Service Downtime

I have no idea what you are all talking about.
My phone was working quite well before the 16th and if I was not able to swap a server in a reasonable time (because i.e. I don't get paid), I would not have touched it in the first place.
They just broke tens of thousands devices out there, it's been like this for two weeks already - and you guys see nothing wrong with this?? Because I can always buy another phone... oh, and yeah: I should learn some manners because your flood of positive reinforcements have obviously been doing a great job for the past two weeks - it's only me who is the problem :)

qwazix 2013-01-29 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr (Post 1318819)
... I would not have touched it in the first place.

If nobody had touched the servers in the first place there would be neither repositories alive, nor tmo for you to rant on. Problem solved.

Piotr 2013-01-29 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwazix (Post 1318821)
If nobody had touched the servers in the first place there would be neither repositories alive, nor tmo for you to rant on. Problem solved.

why? they were alive before and working pretty well...

qwazix 2013-01-29 17:05

because Nokia stopped paying for them 31/12/2012

If we wanted to keep them we had to touch them. Else everything would go black that date.

mrsellout 2013-01-29 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr (Post 1318819)
I have no idea what you are all talking about.
My phone was working quite well before the 16th and if I was not able to swap a server in a reasonable time (because i.e. I don't get paid), I would not have touched it in the first place.
They just broke tens of thousands devices out there, it's been like this for two weeks already - and you guys see nothing wrong with this?? Because I can always buy another phone... oh, and yeah: I should learn some manners because your flood of positive reinforcements have obviously been doing a great job for the past two weeks - it's only me who is the problem :)

If they hadn't touched it in the first place there would be no difference as Nokia have ended their support for maemo. You're wingeing at the community, when the community are all you've got to help get back to how things were.

Maybe you should've made backups of your setup so you could restore your phone to a working condition, but in the absence of those follow the advice to search for the stand-in repos or wait until the community repos are up.

Piotr 2013-01-29 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwazix (Post 1318825)
because Nokia stopped paying for them 31/12/2012

If we wanted to keep them we had to touch them. Else everything would go black that date.

oh, OK - then sorry, I did not know that.

still: how many unpaid volunteers are needed to change a light bulb?
swapping a server is not a rocket science.
and most of all, there is a simple rule for swapping servers - do I need to state it?
it says: don't turn off a working server before making sure that the new one is working.
and that is why I see a big incompetence in here, in this specific process.

acrux 2013-01-29 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr (Post 1318832)
oh, OK - then sorry, I did not know that.

still: how many unpaid volunteers are needed to change a light bulb?
swapping a server is not a rocket science.
and most of, all there is a simple rule for swapping servers - do I need to state it?
it says: don't turn off a working server before making sure that the new one is working.
and that is why I see a big incompetence in here, in this specific process.

Piotr, why are you not offering your help already? The community will be extremely thankfull! :)

Piotr 2013-01-29 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by acrux (Post 1318834)
Piotr, why are not offering your help already? The community will be extremely helpfull! :)

I guess I could help, but I don't think I am trustworthy enough.
Plus I don't have manners :)

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-29 17:24

edit: sorry for being offensive.

acrux 2013-01-29 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr (Post 1318835)
I guess I could help, but I don't think I am trustworthy enough.
Plus I don't have manners :)

You aswered so quickly, that I had no time to correct my typos ;)
I'd help myself, but my competence is limited with swapping and installation of web and e-mail servers with spam- and virus control...