maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Epic Android Thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61003)

NvyUs 2010-09-24 12:23

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab Info Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 825153)
Wrong forum, bud. This is just for information regarding the Tab and general discussion around it.

I'm just curious why the A8 is outdated on N900 and N9 but not on other products like the galaxy tab?
the ppl loving galaxy tab but hating the former i mention please tell me.

etuoyo 2010-09-24 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvyUs (Post 825157)
I'm just curious why the A8 is outdated on N900 and N9 but not on other products like the galaxy tab?

Don't know the people you are referring to. However, I would venture to guess that these people were not actually hating on the N9 since they are on this site. They probably realise that Nokia has been left far behind in the high end segment and to change and gain not only market share but also mind share then they need to release something which is ahead of the competition and what the competition is likely to release in the next few months. Not release hardware that will quickly be outdated.

As for the tab there is not much competition other than ipad and its specs seem better than those of the ipad other than screen size, but then again for many the size puts it ahead of the ipad which may be too big and heavy for their purposes.

Also the galaxy phones are all said to be very snappy and everyone who has tried the tab said it was extremely snappy. So I guess it is not just about clock speed and samsung has come up with a really impressive processor.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvyUs (Post 825157)

Different people have different opinions. Trying to lumping people into discrete categories based on their affiliations, isn't terribly practical as you end up generalizing one characteristic across a group of individuals and get a *very* distorted (and terribly incorrect) picture of what people actually think.

As an example, if you just take Apple fan to be the moniker that represents an individual, you may expect the person to be a fanboy that hates Android, spends a lot of money, dresses like a hipster, or whatever else the stereotype is. However, being an Apple fan is just one characteristic about a person, and does not speak loudly about the other characteristics that that person has. I know people that and Apple fans that also like Android, dress poorly, dress well, are smart, are dumb, spend recklessly, are financially bright, etc.

So in short you are likely confused because of the assumption that people gauging the A8 class of processor as being adequate or inadequate have one 'voice' as they are affiliated with one 'group'. This would seem confusing as one person of the group would say 'I love it' and another of the same group would say 'I hate it'. But consider the fact that they are simply distinct individuals voicing different opinions.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 14:47

Here's an Australian preview of the Tab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waoG0kVNmLY

This is worth the watch.

In short, really likes the Tab! Hates the Ozzie price.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 14:59

You know what? I've not heard ONE negative preview video or hands on of the Galaxy Tab. Not a single one. It seems to meet with a unanimously positive reception.

Samsung seems to have done their research with this model, and it shows. Sure, it's just another Android device, but the combinations of device characteristics, and pre-loaded applications, seem to really give this the plus-one that Samsung was talking about in their press release.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 15:08

I think the Galaxy Tab is a very important product for Samsung. Here's a talk by the President (according to the video title -- unverified) of Samsung regarding the device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBEX5LHHbNQ&translated=1

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 16:17

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Galaxy Tab is confirmed to be carried by Rogers communication in Canada:
http://free-pc-guides.com/news/table...y-rogers-04653

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 16:23

Here's an interesting article that states that few iPad owners are paying for 3G:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/09...3g-galaxy-tab/

A stumbling block for the Tab's popularity?

ysss 2010-09-24 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 825347)
Here's an interesting article that states that few iPad owners are paying for 3G:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/09...3g-galaxy-tab/

A stumbling block for the Tab's popularity?

The small sample around me (about 20 users in their 30s-40s, mid-top management types) all move from WIFI to 3G iPads. We're not in US, so I can't comment about the AT&T situation. But from the iPad users I've seen: >90% are happy with their device, brings their iPad on vacation than a note/netbook, and they usually end up upgrading to 3G version if they have the WIFI.

Also... interestingly, only about half of them were Apple users in the past, and after 'experiencing' iPad about half of those took up iPhone 4.

e: er, my point is, once the users move to tablets, they realize that they can do some 60-90% of their mobile work on their tablet and they'd more likely opt to get the always-connected option.

daperl 2010-09-24 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 825364)
The small sample around me (about 20 users in their 30s-40s, mid-top management types) all move from WIFI to 3G iPads. We're not in US, so I can't comment about the AT&T situation. But from the iPad users I've seen: >90% are happy with their device, brings their iPad on vacation than a note/netbook, and they usually end up upgrading to 3G version if they have the WIFI.

What specifically are the other <= 10% unhappy about?

ysss 2010-09-24 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperl (Post 825389)

None serious enough to leave the iPad behind, heh.

The way they see it, the iPad is a new device with new form factor, performance (capability + battery life) and UI/UX that they really like. They accept that the missing capabilities are due to the immaturity of the product (<1 year old product) and that they will be addressed by apps/iOS upgrade in the future.

If there is a single biggest complaint, it's probably full MS Office file editing compatibility.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 825364)

Also... interestingly, only about half of them were Apple users in the past, and after 'experiencing' iPad about half of those took up iPhone 4.

e: er, my point is, once the users move to tablets, they realize that they can do some 60-90% of their mobile work on their tablet and they'd more likely opt to get the always-connected option.

It's interesting that the core demographic that you speak of probably have enough cash to buy a second device (or 3G iPad in the first place), where as many may scrutinize the decision against their income statements.

The web chatter is such that a secondary 3G device is a needless expense, especially considering the tether-ability baked into many of todays smartphones.

ysss 2010-09-24 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 825468)
It's interesting that the core demographic that you speak of probably have enough cash to buy a second device (or 3G iPad in the first place), where as many may scrutinize the decision against their income statements.

The web chatter is such that a secondary 3G device is a needless expense, especially considering the tether-ability baked into many of todays smartphones.

You've gotta point...

But there's a pretty big issue when you use your primary phone as a portable hotspot, it drains the battery very very fast; making it mostly useful only when you're close to a power source (Cars, hotels).

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 825488)
You've gotta point...

But there's a pretty big issue when you use your primary phone as a portable hotspot, it drains the battery very very fast; making it mostly useful only when you're close to a power source (Cars, hotels).

Heh heh .. Where is it written that the general consumer is far-sighted? ;)

I agree. I see the folly of tethering from both a power and practicality standpoint, and would rather purchase a device that could always be connected independently -- especially given the flexibility of existing prepaid options. This is why I'm a fan of the Tab, rather than a cheaper WiFi only device.

Of course, I'd argue that most consumers will not consider it from that perspective, which may initially hurt the adoption of the Tab or sale of the 3G iPad.

On a separate note
I never asked but: what do you think of the Tab?

ysss 2010-09-24 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 825507)
Heh heh .. Where is it written that the general consumer is far-sighted? ;)

lol heh

Quote:

I agree. I see the folly of tethering from both a power and practicality standpoint, and would rather purchase a device that could always be connected independently -- especially given the flexibility of existing prepaid options. This is why I'm a fan of the Tab, rather than a cheaper WiFi only device.
Yes, there's a good case for a mifi-like device here. I've never tried the real mifi, but I have a huawei E5830 which seems to be a smaller mifi with a smaller power source. It works ok, but not perfect - and the smaller power (some 3 hrs of continuous use? much longer on idle) is still its achilles heels.

When looking from their power capacity, one would think these tablets with big batteries (ie: iPad's can go for 10hrs) would serve perfectly as your personal hotspot base station that you can store in your backpack/bags/suitcase. Except that your (smart)phone is still the gadget that stays with you much more during your days... so you definitely can't leave out a data plan from it.

Soooo.... I still have not seen any 'perfect' solution for the time being. The incremental cost for a 3G tablet also pales in comparison to your data charges anyway, so I don't think it's a significant price difference ($130 difference in iPad's case, less than $11 per month for a year).

Quote:

On a separate note
I never asked but: what do you think of the Tab?
I think the Tab is great. I'd definitely keep a close eye on that when it's available :)

I'm still skeptical on the DLNA functionalities because I don't get such great experience from my Samsung LED screen (series 7 I believe). Too much buffering and the interface is not optimized for long lists of media and contents. I use an XBMC atom box instead to stream my medias... (720p and 1080p content).
I guess it fits the tablet usecase much better though. There'd be much less media contained on a tablet and they'd be of lower bitrate/smaller size to be manageable by the system.

The last point may sound superficial, but I notice the android tab uses much less transitional animations than iOS. I hope they address that.

daperl 2010-09-24 19:35

Samsung Galaxy Tab Info Thread commercial break

It's my opinion that Apple has created a dilemma with the iPad: What to do with the MacBook. The iPad is currently being dumbed down with iOS. But how long can that last? Another year maybe?

In the meantime, Samsung and others will gladly fill the iPad productivity void.

So, "if I was Apple's CEO," I would either buy or steal from Always Innovating and properly engineer something like this:

https://www.alwaysinnovating.com/ima...k-exploded.png

The main office is in San Francisco I think; I wouldn't even make them move. But their designer would probably have to go.

ysss 2010-09-24 19:45

Another year of iPad with iOS? Are you saying they will have to infuse OSX in future tablet?

IMHO it's the other way around. They will try to stretch iOS to the iMac/MacBook ranges as they push the capabilities for iOS to fulfill more needs.

I really think Steve is pretty happy with iPad's current position and I don't see it grow a keyboard, even as convertible/attachment.

danramos 2010-09-24 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 824871)
She's not a techie, so perhaps this is a sign that a device like this really with casual users.

I showed my mom the videos and even SHE (not only a non-techie, but someone that used to even BEAT me as a kid for spending all my time around computers... yeah, not making it up--decades later, I feel justified)... even SHE wants one, now. She LOVES what it does. On the other hand, she also (in recent years) decided to go Kubuntu and she not only doesn't know how to use Windows but when she's pressed to have to use it--even with someone to help her, she *****es and moans about how it's missing all sorts of things Kubuntu can do. It makes me feel good for Samsung's Tab that even she wants one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperl (Post 825389)

They need sex. Wait, was was the question about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperl (Post 825550)
The main office is in San Francisco I think; I wouldn't even make them move. But their designer would probably have to go.

That's a pretty good roughly two hour drive--I've done it. (I used to live only minutes away from Apple's Cupertino office across from DeAnza College, back when I lived in Santa Clara, CA.) I'd generally tend to agree overall with that move--but it's not like that's atypical for that area (that is, tech companies swallowing each other out nearby like this).

danramos 2010-09-24 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 825558)
Another year of iPad with iOS? Are you saying they will have to infuse OSX in future tablet?

IMHO it's the other way around. They will try to stretch iOS to the iMac/MacBook ranges as they push the capabilities for iOS to fulfill more needs.

I really think Steve is pretty happy with iPad's current position and I don't see it grow a keyboard, even as convertible/attachment.

Not even if they designed it as a dual-screen, foldable iPad?

ysss 2010-09-24 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 825562)
Not even if they designed it as a dual-screen, foldable iPad?

Unless they've found a way to inflate chiclet bits under the bottom screen, I hope not ;p

danramos 2010-09-24 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 825568)
Unless they've found a way to inflate chiclet bits under the bottom screen, I hope not ;p

Bubble wrap haptics. ;)

daperl 2010-09-24 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 825558)

More like just flip some switches. Maybe start with the status bar. It's already active [goto to the top of something], so now that "multi-tasking" is here, the functionality needs to be extended. Should I really have to go to the Settings app to change brightness? This has already caused a form of UI fragmentation. I use Stanza as a book reader; you tap left and right for page turning, but you can slide up and down to change the screen brightness. Very much appreciated, but it's not from any Apple UI spec that I know of. What's next? Turning WiFi on-and-off how, when and wherever I damn well please? That's the kind of thing we haven't had to do since DOS.

Quote:

Regardless of what iOS functionality they want to use in OS X, they'll never take away any functionality from OS X. They've worked too hard trying to convince people to switch from Windows. iPhone OS stretched the original hardware as far as it could go, but that was over three years ago. The hardware has caught up and it's speeding on by.

The iOS straight jacket needs to be removed. [DELETED: Bad iPhone 4 bumper joke.]

And besides, developers already run iOS on OS X, it's a program called iPhone Simulator. We turn it off when we're done testing. It's enough that it leaves me wanting with a handheld device.

Quote:

I like and respect Steve Jobs, but lately he seems to be gripped by an unhealthy amount of fear, as if he's having a hard time convincing even himself. It's never too late to acknowledge that you're not wearing any clothes. WARNING! TMI Ahead: I'm typing this in nothing but my sailboat boxers.

Not that Android doesn't have its own set of problems, but in contrast, Eric Schmidt appears to be calm, cool and collected. And thankfully clothed.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 22:25

Here's a video that features Angry Birds on the Tab! Spoiler: FLAWLESS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyQETI-4xM8&translated=1

What's that about 'scaled' apps? ;)

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-24 22:27

Here's a video backstage at a Dolce and Gabana fashion show (or so it seems), that was filmed with the Galaxy Tab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHorwyOwlG4&translated=1

EDIT: On second thought, it looks like a shop! har

debernardis 2010-09-25 07:03

People, I know I could research but wife needs an answer asap ;)
Does the Tab allow to read/write an usb flash memory stick? I know it needs a special cable to connect to usb but is it host, guest, or otg or something else?
Thanks for help!

EDIT: nope it seems the cable is standard - at least it seems standard: http://www.samsungmobilestore.it/Pro...10BBECSTD.aspx

etuoyo 2010-09-25 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 825846)
Does the Tab allow to read/write an usb flash memory stick? I know it needs a special cable to connect to usb but is it host, guest, or otg or something else?
Thanks for help!

EDIT: nope it seems the cable is standard - at least it seems standard: http://www.samsungmobilestore.it/Pro...10BBECSTD.aspx

I am pretty sure the tab does not have a standard usb, mico usb or mini usb port.

As for whether it can write to usb I have no idea but would have thought the non-standard usb makes this unlikely. Idea is probably that you use micro sd card for read and writing. Not great I agree.

On second thoughts the non standard port may not really affect whether it reads and write to memory stick. Who knows. Good question though.

How would you connect a usb stick given the non-standard port though?

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-25 10:12

Quote:

Thanks for help!

Sorry bud, I have no idea! The USB cable comes with the device, but if it's host, OTG, or guest is a mystery.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-25 10:18

I just watched the launch event on http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/. The speaker mentioned that depending on the operator, it will be possible to have two SIM cards and one bill for your Tab and smartphone.

This is ideal for people that have a Smartphone, want a Tab, but don't want an additional bill! The question is: which operators offers this much needed feature? Any guesses?

I find it odd that it would be mentioned in the presentation, almost as if it's expected in some places. This would be a killer feature if offered in North America, and would really appeal to North American consumers.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-25 11:20

Good news! Bell Canada will also carry the Tab:
http://galaxytab.bell.ca

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-25 12:08

Quote:

Thanks for help!

It's worth noting that *if* the Tab port is indeed PDMI, then it has a power output provisions for host mode (in USB and other):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDMI

As per the wiki article:
PDMI uses a 30 pin receptacle with approximate size of 2.5 mm by 22 mm; a cradle-style connector is also defined. The PDMI connector includes the following electrical interfaces:
- 2-lane DisplayPort v1.1a with AUX Channel, Hot Plug Detect, and - 3.3 V power line
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and USB On-The-Go
- Analog stereo line-out for legacy audio
- HDMI CEC for remote control
- High output power line from both host and portable device

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-25 12:17

Here's another article on enabling USB host mode for OTG devices with Android:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=617239

It appears you need a special cable. This may not be the case with the Tab, though, but interesting nonetheless.

etuoyo 2010-09-25 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 825920)
I just watched the launch event on http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/. The speaker mentioned that depending on the operator, it will be possible to have two SIM cards and one bill for your Tab and smartphone.

This is ideal for people that have a Smartphone, want a Tab, but don't want an additional bill! The question is: which operators offers this much needed feature? Any guesses?

I find it odd that it would be mentioned in the presentation, almost as if it's expected in some places. This would be a killer feature if offered in North America, and would really appeal to North American consumers.

That would be a great option. Hope it is widely available.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-25 15:50

It seems as if the 10" Tab is soon on the way:
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...irst-half-2011

Good news for those that are looking for a larger screen!

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-25 20:25

It's a slow week for Tab news but here's a video with a tiny bit of Tab footage at the 1m mark. It shows the home automation application running on the Tab (warning: very little footage):
http://www.youtube.com/v/jEt94lU_mV8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US

The size of the device seems well suited for this task. The same app is featured on the iPad.

etuoyo 2010-09-26 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 826228)
It's a slow week for Tab news but here's a video with a tiny bit of Tab footage at the 1m mark. It shows the home automation application running on the Tab (warning: very little footage):
http://www.youtube.com/v/jEt94lU_mV8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US

The size of the device seems well suited for this task. The same app is featured on the iPad.

Think the video in this link may have a demonstration of the home automation app. On my blackberry at the moment so can't see the video.

http://m.engadget.com/2010/09/26/sli...p-for-android/

Just watched the video. Looks cool. Need to do some investigation but looks like this is exactly what I need to replace my logitech harmony 1100 remote.

danramos 2010-09-27 05:11

This is going to eat Nokia's lunch. Omnomnomnomnom!! ;)

etuoyo 2010-09-27 08:12

Here is a lengthy video interview of the maker of the android home automation app describing why he moved the app from ios to android. The tab is not shown in the video (he does a quick demo on his HTC Evo 4) but he talks about the tab and says something which really worries me which is that the tab will be out at the end of the year. I hope he is seriously mistaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed41aGJ3ivA

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-27 11:12

Here's a video of Samsung Home automation (VERY COOL):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwMGhqul7_o

The widgets are HUGE in this regard! Such a cool feature. I love being able to control temperature, and although I have apprehensions about turning on my stove via the Tab, it would be great if I could turn OFF my stove via the Tab!

This is a very nice vision of the future that Samsung has, and seems to have baked it into a nice package!

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-27 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 827177)
Here is a lengthy video interview of the maker of the android home automation app describing why he moved the app from ios to android. The tab is not shown in the video (he does a quick demo on his HTC Evo 4) but he talks about the tab and says something which really worries me which is that the tab will be out at the end of the year. I hope he is seriously mistaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed41aGJ3ivA

It's nice to hear testimony from developers. Also it seems as though developers really see the potential in the Tab as well as being a nice system with a great form factor and a great OS.

Considering that it's already the end of the year, I wouldn't worry about it. The absolute latest that the device will be available for will be Black Friday (Nov 26th or 27th), but I suspect that it will be on sale before then.

noal 2010-09-27 11:55

Is anyone reading this forum getting one when it comes out?
It would be nice to have a nice little review if anybody has the time as sometimes you feel certain websites have an agenda and have already made their minds up.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting mine until the new year!