maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [Announce] cameraplus, An alternate open camera application for Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89278)

filip.pz 2014-05-04 11:30

Re: [Announce] cameraplus, An alternate open camera application for Harmattan

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424048)
The short answer:
Unfortunately it's not possible to have a camera on N9 without libomap3camd

libomap3camd (omap3 camera daemon library!) contains 3A (auto exposure, auto WB and auto focus algorithms. It also what does the actual image capture).

The long answer:
It might be possible. We just need to develop our own 3A stuff. I remember someone (Sorry I forgot who he is) was trying to get something using fcam but I don't know the details.

Do you have any details about 3.5.3 kernel? Any link that describes how to build and test it?

I cannot promise to check it as my laptop is overheating and I am not sure it'll survive kernel compilation. My gut feeling is it's a patch or 2 for the kernel.

I understand - it's probably just some minor glitch, but w/o some debug info from libomap3camd itself it's kind a hard to figure out what's going on. My best guess is that V4L2 stuff behaves different between two kernels (I already cracked one of those bugs that prevented first usage of libomap3camd under 3.5.3 due to this, and subsequent uses worked - you can imagine debugging multithreaded lib with gdb and w/o debugging info that fails only for first use - I had to reboot about 1037 times). Fcam is probably better option in the long run.

As for the kernel itself, here is the link to it: https://github.com/filippz/kernel-adaptation-n950-n9 and instructions for building: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/N9_...tions_from_git. If necessary I can provide my own build (it takes tome time to set everything, ie: MerSDK, SB2...), but it would be hard to play with it w/o the ability to compile it. I've tested it using ubiboot on nemomobile, but it works under sailfish too. For preview I also had to build waylandsink (I can send compiled lib if needed)

There are guys on #nemomobile IRC channel that are better than me in setting the enviroment for compiling, so they can help with kernel building and setting up nemomobile if needed.

Anyway thanks for your app, and you taking the time to take a look at this issue!

ignaciospaventa 2014-05-04 14:57

Hello, i'm having some problems with cameraplus. Basically, when the app starts, i have to wait 1 minute until i can take any photos. Any solutions?

MSameer 2014-05-04 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignaciospaventa (Post 1424074)
Hello, i'm having some problems with cameraplus. Basically, when the app starts, i have to wait 1 minute until i can take any photos. Any solutions?

Why do you have to wait? Does the viewfinder become visible? What exactly happens when you launch the app?

MSameer 2014-05-04 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by filip.pz (Post 1424056)
I understand - it's probably just some minor glitch, but w/o some debug info from libomap3camd itself it's kind a hard to figure out what's going on. My best guess is that V4L2 stuff behaves different between two kernels (I already cracked one of those bugs that prevented first usage of libomap3camd under 3.5.3 due to this, and subsequent uses worked - you can imagine debugging multithreaded lib with gdb and w/o debugging info that fails only for first use - I had to reboot about 1037 times). Fcam is probably better option in the long run.

As for the kernel itself, here is the link to it: https://github.com/filippz/kernel-adaptation-n950-n9 and instructions for building: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/N9_...tions_from_git. If necessary I can provide my own build (it takes tome time to set everything, ie: MerSDK, SB2...), but it would be hard to play with it w/o the ability to compile it. I've tested it using ubiboot on nemomobile, but it works under sailfish too. For preview I also had to build waylandsink (I can send compiled lib if needed)

There are guys on #nemomobile IRC channel that are better than me in setting the enviroment for compiling, so they can help with kernel building and setting up nemomobile if needed.

Anyway thanks for your app, and you taking the time to take a look at this issue!

I think it might be some change in the media controller API (might be ioctls renamed or changed struct definitions).

omap3camd is a piece of crap. I know :)

I don't know if yavta http://git.ideasonboard.org/yavta.git would help or not.

I'd personally use filesink and dump the raw frames to a file and inspect them just to be sure that the issue is not a wayland issue.

I will try to have a look and see. I personally prefer using nemo than Sailfish but I will see what's flashed on my spare N9 :)

P.S. also note that the nemo version of omap3camd is crippled. The harmattan version is better.

filip.pz 2014-05-04 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424081)
I think it might be some change in the media controller API (might be ioctls renamed or changed struct definitions).

omap3camd is a piece of crap. I know :)

I don't know if yavta http://git.ideasonboard.org/yavta.git would help or not.

I'd personally use filesink and dump the raw frames to a file and inspect them just to be sure that the issue is not a wayland issue.

I will try to have a look and see. I personally prefer using nemo than Sailfish but I will see what's flashed on my spare N9 :)

P.S. also note that the nemo version of omap3camd is crippled. The harmattan version is better.

I think that the change to ioctls/structs would cause exceptions in code, rather than misbehaving, but anything is possible.

I used default nemo kernel to test waylandsink and it works OK. To be safe I tried filesink, and app.c from https://gitorious.org/msameer/omap3camd/source/master: Raw image data contains occasional ones - not just entire zeroes - so maybe liboamp3camd has trouble with "brightness" setting (wild guess). I also tried setting smiapp driver to test pattern to exclude problems with smiapp (without using libomap3camd I get test pattern to display - but with wrong colors). Since I had to reconfigure kernel memory to be used for zero-copy buffering - I'm not sure that the issue isn't there.

"First use" bug was due to the fact that V4L2 in older kernels would make ctrl->val same as ctrl->cur.val when setting v4l2_ctrl struct for smiapp driver (fix is here: https://github.com/filippz/kernel-ad...a78a8413378f69) - on the second run ctrl->val would be OK. Since there are ctrl->val, ctr->val64, ctrl->cur.val and ctrl->cur.val64 for every v4l2_ctrl it's possible that libomap3camd looks at (for example) ctrl->cur.val, but in newer kernels it should look at cur->val64. This doesn't cause it to break, but it reads default value and produces wrong result.

I also prefer nemo on my spare N9 - the guys there are doing a fantastic job. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that nemo version is crippled - I was under impression that the versions are the same?

ignaciospaventa 2014-05-04 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424080)
Why do you have to wait? Does the viewfinder become visible? What exactly happens when you launch the app?

The viewfinder becomes visible, but only for 1 second, then it freezes and it shows "cameraplus not responding". If i wait a minute it starts working. It's not the hardware, because if I use the native camera it works perfectly well

MSameer 2014-05-04 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignaciospaventa (Post 1424086)
The viewfinder becomes visible, but only for 1 second, then it freezes and it shows "cameraplus not responding". If i wait a minute it starts working. It's not the hardware, because if I use the native camera it works perfectly well

Could you launch it from the terminal and paste anything printed there?

This needs debugging with gdb apparently but let's see.

ignaciospaventa 2014-05-04 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424087)
Could you launch it from the terminal and paste anything printed there?

This needs debugging with gdb apparently but let's see.

Code:

~ $ cameraplus
Found SGX/MBX driver, enabling FullClearOnEveryFrame
Found v1.4 driver, enabling brokenTexSubImage
Loading plugin:  true
libomap3camd 1.136
CC reset, prev_cc: 0 new_cc -2259980 new offset: 2259980

DBus error:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the networkconnection was broken.
Error occured while reading data from socket:"Unknown error"
libomap3camd 1.136
Warning Internal data flow problem. : gstbasesink.c(3678): gst_base_sink_chain_unlocked (): /GstCameraBin2:QtCameraCameraBin/GstViewfinderBin:vf-bin/GstGLTextureSink:QtCamViewfinderRendererMeeGoSink:
Received buffer without a new-segment. Assuming timestamps start from 0.
libomap3camd 1.136
Warning Internal data flow problem. : gstbasesink.c(3678): gst_base_sink_chain_unlocked (): /GstCameraBin2:QtCameraCameraBin/GstViewfinderBin:vf-bin/GstGLTextureSink:QtCamViewfinderRendererMeeGoSink:
Received buffer without a new-segment. Assuming timestamps start from 0.
CC reset, prev_cc: 0 new_cc -2266580 new offset: 2266580
Too many samples waiting in socket. Flushing it to empty

MSameer 2014-05-04 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by filip.pz (Post 1424085)
I think that the change to ioctls/structs would cause exceptions in code, rather than misbehaving, but anything is possible.

I used default nemo kernel to test waylandsink and it works OK. To be safe I tried filesink, and app.c from https://gitorious.org/msameer/omap3camd/source/master: Raw image data contains occasional ones - not just entire zeroes - so maybe liboamp3camd has trouble with "brightness" setting (wild guess). I also tried setting smiapp driver to test pattern to exclude problems with smiapp (without using libomap3camd I get test pattern to display - but with wrong colors). Since I had to reconfigure kernel memory to be used for zero-copy buffering - I'm not sure that the issue isn't there.

"First use" bug was due to the fact that V4L2 in older kernels would make ctrl->val same as ctrl->cur.val when setting v4l2_ctrl struct for smiapp driver (fix is here: https://github.com/filippz/kernel-ad...a78a8413378f69) - on the second run ctrl->val would be OK. Since there are ctrl->val, ctr->val64, ctrl->cur.val and ctrl->cur.val64 for every v4l2_ctrl it's possible that libomap3camd looks at (for example) ctrl->cur.val, but in newer kernels it should look at cur->val64. This doesn't cause it to break, but it reads default value and produces wrong result.

I also prefer nemo on my spare N9 - the guys there are doing a fantastic job. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that nemo version is crippled - I was under impression that the versions are the same?

changes in ioctls can exhibit different behavior depending on the ioctl itself and its usage, Anyway I am just guessing as I have not yet checked.

I remember I came across an old debug binary for omap3camd while trying to reverse engineer its header. I can't remember where I got it from :(

Have you tried using the N9 driver instead of the smiapp one?

I am trying to ask around about the driver state but no replies so far.

As for omap3camd. My understanding is that the public nemo version was crippled by Nokia. I am not entirely sure but that's another topic :)

MSameer 2014-05-04 18:19

Code:

DBus error:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the networkconnection was broken.

Seems we are blocked waiting for DBus to reply. I don't exactly know what is being blocked.

Can you try after disabling GPS and geotags?

ignaciospaventa 2014-05-04 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424091)
Code:

DBus error:

Seems we are blocked waiting for DBus to reply. I don't exactly know what is being blocked.

Can you try after disabling GPS and geotags?

Code:

~ $ cameraplus
libomap3camd 1.136
CC reset, prev_cc: 0 new_cc -2804506 new offset: 2804506

Now it works. Thank you!

MSameer 2014-05-04 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignaciospaventa (Post 1424094)
Code:

~ $ cameraplus
libomap3camd 1.136
CC reset, prev_cc: 0 new_cc -2804506 new offset: 2804506

Now it works. Thank you!

Have you installed any apps or used any tweak application? I am really surprised that the DBus reply is being blocked.

It might be that the gps is not responding for whatever reason but this is all strange.

ignaciospaventa 2014-05-04 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424102)
Have you installed any apps or used any tweak application? I am really surprised that the DBus reply is being blocked.

It might be that the gps is not responding for whatever reason but this is all strange.

I am using inception and i also have installed N9Quicktweaks. Maybe that makes it crash

wolke 2014-05-04 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424012)
* Revert the fix for preventing accidental focus reticle movement

have you considered making the icon bigger by adding some alpha pixels to the right? just a thought.

also, the swipe-to-menu-from-focus-reticle is still a (minor) issue.

MSameer 2014-05-04 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolke (Post 1424116)
have you considered making the icon bigger by adding some alpha pixels to the right? just a thought.

also, the swipe-to-menu-from-focus-reticle is still a (minor) issue.

I have to admit that I had not much time to do much in the past 2 days. Sick child + trying to fix some stuff in the Sailfish OS cameraplus did not leave much time for harmattan.

The 4 main issues bothering me now are:
- a way to lock orientation of image in post capture
- country name being all in caps (geotags)
- Capture button (I cannot move it to the right because it looks really bad). Want to see a screenshot ? ;)
- the focus reticle issue (I might rework the whole thing to simplify the code too).

P.S. No need to worry. N9 is still my primary phone so no plans currently to drop support for harmattan.

wolke 2014-05-04 20:49

please dont think im rushing you! im constantly impressed by your near-zero response time, but i dont EXPECT it or anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424123)
Capture button (I cannot move it to the right because it looks really bad). Want to see a screenshot ? ;)

my suggestion was to make the button larger by adding transparent pixels to the right side, so that it would look the same but still be clickable up to the edge without changing the event box.

MSameer 2014-05-04 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolke (Post 1424125)
please dont think im rushing you! im constantly impressed by your near-zero response time, but i dont EXPECT it or anything.

my suggestion was to make the button larger by adding transparent pixels to the right side, so that it would look the same but still be clickable up to the edge without changing the event box.

That's it!

Thank you for the idea. I actually reworked the button so the MouseArea would become the bottommost element and that allows to make it a bit bigger than the button itself.

Please try this build: http://foolab.org/files/cameraplus_0.0.22-1_armel.deb

P.S. I have not tested it much so other buttons might be broken (Including the ones in the toolbar).

mcbook 2014-05-04 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424129)
That's it!

Thank you for the idea. I actually reworked the button so the MouseArea would become the bottommost element and that allows to make it a bit bigger than the button itself.

Please try this build: http://foolab.org/files/cameraplus_0.0.22-1_armel.deb

P.S. I have not tested it much so other buttons might be broken (Including the ones in the toolbar).

the button handling is much better!
Only one weird thing....
If you press on the area to the right of the button you can trigger a shot but the button doesn't turn blue. Other than that it works very nice on the shutter button. Could you give this new handling to all the onscreen buttons?

SteveYoungs 2014-05-05 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1423946)
That worked. I am not sure why the country name is in CAPS. I am not sure why though.

I ran from the command line to see if there might be some clues in the output...

Code:

$ /usr/bin/invoker -s -t d /usr/bin/cameraplus
invoker: Invoking execution: '/usr/bin/cameraplus'
libomap3camd 1.136
CC reset, prev_cc: 0 new_cc 384438 new offset: -384438
QNetworkReplyImpl::_q_startOperation was called more than once
qrc:/qml/MainPage.qml:264:5: QML ReverseGeocode: Error while geocoding2Operation canceledOperation canceled
qrc:/qml/MainPage.qml:264:5: QML ReverseGeocode: Error while geocoding2Operation canceled
QCoreApplication::postEvent: Unexpected null receiver
qrc:/qml/CameraView.qml:61:17: QML Sounds: Failed to play soundFile or data not found-9
Meego graphics system destroyed
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
  Extension:    135 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode: 1 (X_ShmAttach)
  Resource id:  0x3e0000b
X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter) 135
  Extension:    135 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode: 2 (X_ShmDetach)
  Resource id:  0x3e0001a
QObject::startTimer: QTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread

Hope it helps.

SteveYoungs 2014-05-05 01:33

Another issue I've got (sorry) is with the self-timer. The slider to adjust the timeout is half off the screen to the left. You can even see the obscured part of the slider by half swiping to the settings page.

imaginaryenemy 2014-05-07 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424123)
The 4 main issues bothering me now are:
- a way to lock orientation of image in post capture

I like the way it's handled now. I wouldn't think it would be worth the stress of attempting a fix.

wolke 2014-05-07 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer;1424129
Please try this build: [url
http://foolab.org/files/cameraplus_0.0.22-1_armel.deb[/url]

its flippin' perfect, thanks!

MSameer 2014-05-07 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbook (Post 1424138)
the button handling is much better!
Only one weird thing....
If you press on the area to the right of the button you can trigger a shot but the button doesn't turn blue. Other than that it works very nice on the shutter button. Could you give this new handling to all the onscreen buttons?

Yes you are correct. I don't know why though. It's also the same behavior with the stock camera. I wonder if it's a bug somewhere in one of the system libraries.

Do the rest of the buttons also need the same behavior?

EDIT: In fact, I might disable it. We don't even get the press signal until the finger has moved away from the button which means that camera will not even try to focus.

I don't know but I feel I will have to disable it again and hope to find another solution one day.

EDIT2: I remember that the harmattan compositor reserves an area for itself in order to allow swiping. It has a fake window if I recall correctly. I also seem to recall that it will synthesize the press events if there is no swipe. If that is the case then I don't think we can do anything here :(

MSameer 2014-05-07 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1424464)
I like the way it's handled now. I wouldn't think it would be worth the stress of attempting a fix.

I am also leaning towards that opinion ;)

MSameer 2014-05-07 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveYoungs (Post 1424147)
Another issue I've got (sorry) is with the self-timer. The slider to adjust the timeout is half off the screen to the left. You can even see the obscured part of the slider by half swiping to the settings page.

I don't understand what you are trying to say :/

MSameer 2014-05-08 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveYoungs (Post 1424143)
I ran from the command line to see if there might be some clues in the output...
Hope it helps.

The bug has been fixed in git master.

Harmattan is just wonderful: It has 2 separate libraries for reverse geocoding!

SteveYoungs 2014-05-08 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1424470)
I don't understand what you are trying to say :/

The slider to adjust the timeout of the "Timer". It is positioned at the bottom left of screen (holding the phone landscape, zoom keys at top). The slider is only partially visible with about 30% of it being obscured off screen. You can see the obscured part of the slider when swiping to/from the settings page.

After more investigation I can say that the above is only true when the pop-out toolbar is hidden. In fact if you tap the toolbar icon to extend the toolbar the slider moves to along so that it is fully visible. The opposite is also true... hide the toolbar and the slider jumps back to the left and is partially obscured again.

If it is not possible to separate the geometry/positioning of the timeout adjustment slider from that of the toolbar, perhaps a solution could be to force the toolbar to be extended when the timer is chosen?

MSameer 2014-05-08 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveYoungs (Post 1424472)
The slider to adjust the timeout of the "Timer". It is positioned at the bottom left of screen (holding the phone landscape, zoom keys at top). The slider is only partially visible with about 30% of it being obscured off screen. You can see the obscured part of the slider when swiping to/from the settings page.

After more investigation I can say that the above is only true when the pop-out toolbar is hidden. In fact if you tap the toolbar icon to extend the toolbar the slider moves to along so that it is fully visible. The opposite is also true... hide the toolbar and the slider jumps back to the left and is partially obscured again.

If it is not possible to separate the geometry/positioning of the timeout adjustment slider from that of the toolbar, perhaps a solution could be to force the toolbar to be extended when the timer is chosen?

I never close the tool bar. That's why I never noticed it.

Anyway, thanks for reporting. Fixed in git already :)

Cecchi85 2014-05-10 15:15

thank you for your great work! from the first release, your app is became my stock app to take pictures.

is it possible to improve cameraplus to take pictures during recording video?! :)

MSameer 2014-05-12 20:23

0.0.22 has been uploaded to OpenRepos:
* Fix country names being in capital letters
* Prevent the self timer delay slider from changing position when the tool bar is closed
* Increase the GPS position update interval to 60 seconds
* New mode switch, front camera switch and back camera switch icons from mcbook
* Don't rotate video preview in post capture
* Reworked the post capture rotation animation

I am a bit slow in responding here as I am trying to push the Sailfish port a bit forward so I apologize for that.

MSameer 2014-05-12 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecchi85 (Post 1424809)
thank you for your great work! from the first release, your app is became my stock app to take pictures.

is it possible to improve cameraplus to take pictures during recording video?! :)

The short answer is: Unfortunately no :(

The long answer:
I am not sure the driver supports it but even if it does, the DSP is fully utilized encoding the video itself and the CPU is busy encoding the audio stream. The best thing we can do is to take a snapshot of the viewfinder (will be of low quality), encode it with SW jpeg encoder and dump it to disk. I don't know if that will cause frame drops or not.
It's also not easy because the GStreamer stack does not support doing that.

imaginaryenemy 2014-05-13 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1425102)
* Prevent the self timer delay slider from changing position when the tool bar is closed

Great work! I love the new buttons, and the new post capture animation. It looks as classy as it feels!

mcbook 2014-05-13 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1425118)
Great work! I love the new buttons, and the new post capture animation. It looks as classy as it feels!

@MSameer

Ha, what did I tell you! :D

Top work as usual!!!

Alexxxl 2014-05-13 08:43

Great work! Thanks!!!

MSameer 2014-05-13 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbook (Post 1425127)
@MSameer

Ha, what did I tell you! :D

Top work as usual!!!

Well, I believed you :D

latency 2014-05-14 08:10

Very nice update! Keeps my N9 ticking happily :)

When will your work on the Sailfish version be ready for release. I would prefer Cameraplus instead of the current camera app in Sailfish.

SteveYoungs 2014-05-14 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1425102)

I am a bit slow in responding here as I am trying to push the Sailfish port a bit forward so I apologize for that.

I have this update installed and I would dearly love to test it, but I think the camera on my N9 has died. Nothing that uses the camera works anymore. :( stock camera; cameraplus; meescan; simple mirror, none of them.

The stock camera app gives an error...
The camera is not responding. Try again or restart the device if the problem continues
Yeah, trying again and rebooting doesn't do squat. Looks like I'll be living without a camera until I can get a new phone. Wonder when Jolla will be available in Oz?...

MSameer 2014-05-14 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by latency (Post 1425254)
Very nice update! Keeps my N9 ticking happily :)

When will your work on the Sailfish version be ready for release. I would prefer Cameraplus instead of the current camera app in Sailfish.

It's progressing nicely but I still have a few issues to fix. I will then release an alpha for testing. It might not ever go to harbour since it uses a LOT of unsupported APIs but that's another discussion.

MSameer 2014-05-14 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveYoungs (Post 1425263)
I have this update installed and I would dearly love to test it, but I think the camera on my N9 has died. Nothing that uses the camera works anymore. :( stock camera; cameraplus; meescan; simple mirror, none of them.

The stock camera app gives an error...
The camera is not responding. Try again or restart the device if the problem continues
Yeah, trying again and rebooting doesn't do squat. Looks like I'll be living without a camera until I can get a new phone. Wonder when Jolla will be available in Oz?...

Did you run out of disk space in /home/user ?
"df -h" from the terminal should tell.

MSameer 2014-05-14 13:02

Does anybody need/use the resolution indicator for video and image modes? I am thinking about removing it completely.

What do you guys think?