maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish now on 1.0 (Jolla MWC announcement) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92742)

herpderp 2014-03-17 11:27

Re: Sailfish now on 1.0 (Jolla MWC announcement)

I predict the update will be postponed by (at least) another week.

Dave999 2014-03-17 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1417055)

I predict the release will be sometime in March, but they should take more time as needed if they're not 100% ready.
I don't want them releasing something half-baked, just because of lots of whining about them missing delivery targets.

join the betting and pick a date?

nieldk 2014-03-17 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvp (Post 1417085)
hey, i copy&past all, after

# systemctl start cpug.service

i get this massage:

[root@localhost ~]# systemctl start cpug.service
Failed to issue method call: Unit cpug.service failed to load: Bad message. See system logs and 'systemctl status cpug.service' for details.

than i try this:
# systemctl status cpug.service

and get this:
cpug.service - Change CPU Govenor performance
Loaded: error (Reason: Bad message)
Active: inactive (dead)

Best guess: Ensure that this is on one line:

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "/bin/echo 'performance' > /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor"

Nano seems to sometimes add line-breaks where it shouldnt (you can add -w to prevent this)

So, please ensure that this is ONE line

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "/bin/echo 'performance' > /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor"

I added a .txt file to my post, that you may use

w00t 2014-03-17 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by bockersjv (Post 1417058)
Given that this is the first full release is anyone else planning to do a full reste before the release? I know that on both my N900 and N9 the device always seemed to run better after this.

Question is do I do a full device reset before or after the update, or just not bother?

At least part of the reason for this was likely that standard development practices, at least while I was working on Harmattan, involved a lot of reflashing. Daily, or more often, depending on how often you were multitasking in some cases. I was pretty resistant to this, but especially earlier on, it was hard to avoid.

Jolla on the other hand has been much more focused on getting upgrade paths working from the start. I reflashed my N950 a sum total of, I think 3 times, from when I started hacking on Sailfish in 2012 to when I retired it mid 2013. My Jolla devices have been a similar experience: I haven't often managed to get into a situation where I need a reflash, and when I have, it's generally been thanks to me doing something stupid not that I'd ever screw up my homescreen without USB rescue mode enabled, or anything..

This isn't to say that we're perfect, I'm sure we've made mistakes, but just that at least for a number of us, updating is a core part of how we work - not reflashing - and if the upgrade experience isn't smooth, we'd like to know why.

w00t 2014-03-17 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1417072)
To change cpu governor at boot, do something like this :)

[CODE]
[Unit]
Description=Change CPU Govenor performance
[Service]
Type=forking
# If you install my cpufrequtils
# ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpufreq-set -g performance

This is the GPU, not CPU governor. CPU governor is at:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

(and related tunables). The second core is also at cpu1, but 'mpdecision' (a qualcomm binary) will leave it switched off, thus, the sys entries won't be there a lot of the time unless you explicitly power it on, iirc something like:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online

Note that while altering the GPU governor doesn't seem to have much impact on battery (more studies ongoing, which is why we don't alter it by default at this time), the CPU governor has a very real chance to mess with your battery life, as currently, it clocks down to minimum frequency very fast when idle.

juiceme 2014-03-17 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larswad (Post 1417083)
I had to transfer more money from savings to the main account so I went called into my manual banking service. There I had to identify myself of course using the numeric tones. Nearly every time I tried entering my personal security number or the password that damned keyboard issued double-taps (sent the same number twice). This ended up in that I locked my phone service account.

This was a serious bug and it was consistent. It sent the same number twice intermittently and irritated the hell out of me.

I have not encountered that kind of behaviour, altough I have used the "send-dtmf-coded-numbers" with several different companies automated phone services.

Does your touchscreen feel otherwice "too sensitive" or something? It could be caused by HW failure of course, or by something you have installed on the device?

nieldk 2014-03-17 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 1417090)
This is the GPU, not CPU governor. CPU governor is at:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Thanks, the service script should be easy to modify :)

Quote:

Yes, I noticed that, unfortunately ? changing that paramter has no effect, it is reset to '0' immediately.

juiceme 2014-03-17 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 1417090)
The second core is also at cpu1, but 'mpdecision' (a qualcomm binary) will leave it switched off, thus, the sys entries won't be there a lot of the time unless you explicitly power it on, iirc something like:

Does this mean that while the Jolla device is dualcore by HW, only 1 core is currently running on the device?

cvp 2014-03-17 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1417093)
Thanks, the service script should be easy to modify :)

Yes, I noticed that, unfortunately ? changing that paramter has no effect, it is reset to '0' immediately.

hmm something goes wrong by me:

[root@localhost ~]# systemctl status cpug.service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/cpug.service; enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:33:01 +0100; 11s ago
Process: 2313 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c /bin/echo 'performance' > /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cpug.service

i check the line and its in one line not two.

nieldk 2014-03-17 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvp (Post 1417095)
hmm something goes wrong by me:

[root@localhost ~]# systemctl status cpug.service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/cpug.service; enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:33:01 +0100; 11s ago
Process: 2313 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c /bin/echo 'performance' > /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cpug.service

i check the line and its in one line not two.

I think it is good, the service is only supposed to run once after boot.

You can confirm with
cat /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor

droll 2014-03-17 12:42

the version of systemd currently on the phone - will it ever get updated? i'm looking for calendar time events. want to use systemd to schedule time- based events.

zlatko 2014-03-17 12:47

Quick update on the status of the "out of beta" release:
Quote:

Jolla ‏@JollaHQ 4h
@_tace_ Hi, early this week. The countdown is on already ;)
So, lets see what is "early" for Jolla ;)

Jare 2014-03-17 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1417093)

Afaik the mpdecision binary handles the online state by default, so you might need to stop it first.

nieldk 2014-03-17 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by droll (Post 1417097)
the version of systemd currently on the phone - will it ever get updated? i'm looking for calendar time events. want to use systemd to schedule time- based events.

i use systemd for prey, it updates every hour. Seems to work. Allthough there is a small issue when phone 'is sleeping'

Dave999 2014-03-17 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatko (Post 1417098)
Quick update on the status of the "out of beta" release:

So, lets see what is "early" for Jolla ;)

early must be Monday or possibly Tuesday. But is Tuesday really considered as early? Possibly if is before lunch...

cvp 2014-03-17 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1417096)
You can confirm with
cat /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor

get info
"performance"

looks good. But i feel nothing better :D dont know why... maybe the BB-Messanger (Android) Loads faster :)

thanks for it :)

aegis 2014-03-17 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1417092)
Does your touchscreen feel otherwice "too sensitive" or something? It could be caused by HW failure of course, or by something you have installed on the device?

Or possibly a screen protector? I've had some dodgy screen protectors in the past on some phones.

At the moment, on my Jolla, I'm using a 3M based screen protector which seems quite good so far. I've not scratched it and apart from being a couple of mm short top and bottom, fits well.

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/art...a-1509825.html

w00t 2014-03-17 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1417094)
Does this mean that while the Jolla device is dualcore by HW, only 1 core is currently running on the device?

A lot of the time, yes. It's turned on when mpdecision decides there's sufficient work to warrant it.

w00t 2014-03-17 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jare (Post 1417100)
Afaik the mpdecision binary handles the online state by default, so you might need to stop it first.

Also true. It's been a while since I've had to do this, obviously :)

shallimus 2014-03-17 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1416811)
LTE support is way down the list for me. It's only just being rolled out now in much of Europe.

I'm not sure why you'd want [LTE]. The 3g I get on my Jolla now is faster than my landline broadband.

As you can see from my userprofile, I'm not in Europe, and due to the peculiar combo of frequencies which carriers here use and the frequencies supported by Jolla (both hardware & software limitations at the moment!) I'm currently stuck on 2G. I don't need LTE - 3G is good enough for me as you suggest - but I can't have 3G.I have actually changed carriers in order to be able to get Jolla onto a mobile network at all.

It's painful waiting 20 seconds (count them... 1... 2... 3...) just to download some jpeg photo my family sent me in an email. If you don't believe me, try living with 2G. It's still a miracle of science, but it's a slow and irritating miracle of science in 2014.

Still, "not in Europe" does pretty much mean that Jolla doesn't care about me as a customer. I accept this, not because I like it, but because I can't change it.

Why would people in Europe want it? Because they paid for a device which supports LTE but don't have it. That's a good enough reason.

I hope that answers your question.

cquence 2014-03-17 13:42

4G is widely available in cities like London where I am currently living. A large amount of friends use 4G in devices like the Z10 etc without having serious deterioration of their battery life etc. The difference in data speeds is simply huge.

4G support is something that can really add value not in terms of silly spec-wars arguments but most importantly in terms of user experience. I think it is also making the phone a bit more future proof and along with an optimized OS it should make the "smartphone" experience even more smooth and intuitive.

I don't mind waiting a bit for 4G support to be enabled but since the 4G support has been announced from day 1, I think most of the people would like it sooner rather than later, as something that the phone supports "out of the box".

shallimus 2014-03-17 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1417055)
I predict the release will be sometime in March, but they should take more time as needed if they're not 100% ready.
I don't want them releasing something half-baked, just because of lots of whining about them missing delivery targets.

You bought a Jolla device?!

shallimus 2014-03-17 14:24

I've realised that my most-wished for thing from this update is: stability! Yesterday afternoon my Jolla got stuck in some weird boot loop while I was out shopping for groceries. Not the end of the world, but pretty inconvenient. After watching me swear and poke at the device for 15 minutes, my wife suggested removing/replacing the battery.

"That. Won't. Work." I hissed. "I saw on TMO that it doesn't help."

"Well maybe..."

"OK, OK, fine."

So yep, that did help. Probably Murphy's Law at work.

My most-wished for new feature after stability is usable contacts & calendar integration. I spent 2.5 years with the N9 making daily use of thp's superb billboard customisation of the OLED screen; my upcoming events were visible just by removing the device from my pocket or glancing at it on the desk.

As it stands now, there's no OLED screen (OK) but I can't send events back up to the online calendar service (not OK), there's no way to view upcoming appointments on the first screen I see when I pull the device out of my pocket (not OK) and the calendar app is sorely lacking (meh). To download new contacts it's currently necessary to disable and then re-enable the contact service in settings (feeble, but I can live with that for now I guess). So that sort of basic stuff is #2 on my wishlist right after "be a device I can trust as my main device".

On a brighter note, I'd like once again to thank w00t for taking the time to come here and dispense technical wisdom. It's a lovely bit of yang to the yin of my "impatient nerd-rage" :)

zlatko 2014-03-17 14:29

As we are discussing the coming update and the release dates - I always had the feeling that Jolla should be able to update certain core applications separately from the system - e.g. Mail, People or Maps. Also some other components as well. So why wait for OS release? Update the application as fast as possible.
Also people around are speaking about waiting ensures release "not being buggy", "perfect release" etc. - there is NO such option! It will ALWAYS have issues and room for optimization. In the current state of Jolla(the device) it is hard to accept delays as many issues are really nasty. It is not like "desperately needing folders in launcher". I refer here to random reboots&shutdowns, numerous connection issues and missing core functions. Many of these make the device unusable for large number of early adopters.
Do not take this as a rant, but just as a questions being asked and needing more explanation. :)
And thanks to @w00t for the answers he spends time to give here!

mousse04 2014-03-17 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatko (Post 1417123)
As we are discussing the coming update and the release dates - I always had the feeling that Jolla should be able to update certain core applications separately from the system - e.g. Mail, People or Maps. Also some other components as well. So why wait for OS release? Update the application as fast as possible.
Also people around are speaking about waiting ensures release "not being buggy", "perfect release" etc. - there is NO such option! It will ALWAYS have issues and room for optimization. In the current state of Jolla(the device) it is hard to accept delays as many issues are really nasty. It is not like "desperately needing folders in launchers". I refer here to random reboots&shutdowns, numerous connection issues and missing core functions. Many of these make the device unusable for large number of early adopters.
Do not take this as a complain, but just as a questions being asked and needing more explanation. :)

Totally agree with that feeling :)

cquence 2014-03-17 15:06

I guess there are still more core things that need improvement and the flexible/modular updates on a per application basis will be happening later in the future when the OS is more stable overall and hopefully Jolla is larger and has more resources to work on even more things at the same time.

jflatt 2014-03-17 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by shallimus (Post 1417121)
"impatient nerd-rage" :)

Can I ask how you finally got ahold of a jolla phone? I'd like to get one too, but I'm in the US

bockersjv 2014-03-17 15:52

Quote:

... In the current state of Jolla(the device) it is hard to accept delays as many issues are really nasty. It is not like "desperately needing folders in launchers". I refer here to random reboots&shutdowns, numerous connection issues and missing core functions. Many of these make the device unusable for large number of early adopters.
Do not take this as a complain, but just as a questions being asked and needing more explanation. :)

Thank you for putting this so much more eloquently than I did a few pages back. In the heat of the moment when you are left without a functioning phone and a family member questions your sanity on travelling to a foreign country just to collect it, the temptation to have a rant on TMO can become to much to resist :)

Not long to wait now though.

shallimus 2014-03-17 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflatt (Post 1417138)
Can I ask how you finally got ahold of a jolla phone? I'd like to get one too, but I'm in the US

After Jolla customer care totally failed (twice!) to answer my Zendesk question about changing my address to an EU address...

...and after I was done sulking for a month or two...

...I decided to acquire a Jolla phone anyway, so I asked my relatives in the UK to buy one. Then I visited the UK and "borrowed" it from them on a more-or-less permanent basis. I was already visiting the UK (I have relatives there, remember?) so it wasn't that much of an expense.

Technically it's not even my device, because it's registered to my relative, who also paid for it. Why did I do it like that? Well, Jolla customer care closed my ticket saying something asinine like "we don't cover your market right now but stay tuned!" when I asked if I could change my profile address to one in the EU and re-start my order.

If it wasn't for people like w00t - and the total lack of compelling alternative for my next device - I would probably still be sulking and wondering how long before my N9 dies.

In fact, I'm still going to look after my N9 very carefully, because without significant improvement I can't imagine living with the Jolla as a long-term device. I have enough stress in my life already, and I need a device which doesn't reboot unexpectedly, and which will tell me reliably what I am supposed to be doing next Thursday etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Still - very excited about the potential of Sailfish. I guess it's the eternal battle: open vs. closed, exciting vs. reliable, love vs. reason, Alfa Romeo vs. Toyota Corolla...

TMavica 2014-03-17 16:07

Been tested the 4G compatibility by radio switcher, It works nicely in first release global city Hong Kong

szopin 2014-03-17 16:52

kimmo just tweeted eta of update this evening:
@LiKimmo: #jolla update 5 Ohijärvi - ETA later this evening (EET)

jalyst 2014-03-17 16:53

@shallimus

After reading your/others latest insights, I'm definitely not in any rush to get a Jolla...
It seems they still have LOTS more growing-up to do, I just hope they can keep-up the pace sufficiently.
September or later is when I'll bite, assuming they're acknowledging regions outside the EU by then.
In my case, Oceania(Australasia)....

Dave999 2014-03-17 16:53

IT Will come today becouse stskeeps visiting this thread all the time today...

Im fully charged and ready for update any second now...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Rj1J5I19c...1600/title.jpg

Possible to add an community countdown...to the release.

http://i48.tinypic.com/f1ljc4.jpg

w00t 2014-03-17 17:06

Quote:

As we are discussing the coming update and the release dates - I always had the feeling that Jolla should be able to update certain core applications separately from the system - e.g. Mail, People or Maps.

(keeping in mind that releasing is not typically my problem, so I'm not an expert..) We do have that capability to some extent, but it's a hard problem, especially given that it then results in a large explosion in the number of combinations we have to test with the same rather small pool of resources: "is library at foo, or foo+2, or foo+3?"

So essentially, it all boils down to testing. If we manage to get the releases out reasonably quickly, it shouldn't matter all that much anyway.

Quote:

Also some other components as well. So why wait for OS release? Update the application as fast as possible.
Also people around are speaking about waiting ensures release "not being buggy", "perfect release" etc. - there is NO such option! It will ALWAYS have issues and room for optimization.

Well, yes, but there's a line in the sand between acceptable, and unacceptable. You can't release until you cross that quality line unless you want a lot of very angry people. :)

w00t 2014-03-17 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by shallimus (Post 1417143)
If it wasn't for people like w00t ...

Thanks to you (& others) for your kind words, but I'd like to take a moment to emphasize that this is very much a team effort. We're all rowing together, all responsible for our good synergy, juju, whatever you want to call it. Everyone deserves praise equally, I'm just a small humble part of a greater movement.

juiceme 2014-03-17 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 1417155)
Thanks to you (& others) for your kind words, but I'd like to take a moment to emphasize that this is very much a team effort. We're all rowing together, all responsible for our good synergy, juju, whatever you want to call it. Everyone deserves praise equally, I'm just a small humble part of a greater movement.

But one notable thing is that you are active here.

I have seen some people get pretty agitated at times (especially when expecting an upcoming release...) and your being here & answering questions seems to calm things down a bit :D

mariusmssj 2014-03-17 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by szopin (Post 1417148)
kimmo just tweeted eta of update this evening:
@LiKimmo: #jolla update 5 Ohijärvi - ETA later this evening (EET)

If that's true I shall put my Jolla on charge now

abyzthomas 2014-03-17 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflatt (Post 1417138)

Just remember. Only 2G in US. I tried the radio switcher and on 4G, it does not connect to anything. I am on T-Mobile USA. I went through great length of trouble to get this bad boy in USA to use it on 2G network. :-)

zlatko 2014-03-17 18:12

@w00t
Thank you for taking your time to reply to my "rant" :)
I was aware of the reasons for partial updates not being used, just that the waiting for stability fixes come too much when I had to reboot my phone 4 times today to solve various issues and lock-ups and thus missing business calls and wasting time. :)
Thank you once again for your support here!

Dave999 2014-03-17 18:35

Early week definition is mid day tomorrow according to internet. After sun reaching its peek on the sky it's mid week. The question is where. I would assume above jolla office but I'm not sure. Internet doesn't specify...