maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Jolla Sailfish Is stunning! Now on video! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87961)

mikecomputing 2013-05-19 10:43

Re: Jolla Sailfish Is stunning! Now on video!

I think about this when hang up my laundy:

I still think its Lenovo OR/AND intel who is other half... But Now I think more and more its probadly IS intel...

So question is how many here will get angry when Jolla tomorrow will tell us that Intel is the "other Half?"

Lets think about it: 2011 Elop doomed Meego. The team behind Maemo/Meego splitted up some started working for WP some gone to S40 team, some left for Intel and so on.

We don't know exact what was translated from Nokia to Jolla but it may very well be Jolla team "buy out" theyr prototype nextgen Meego device(s) from Nokia and we all know the team did work on a nextgen Intel meego phone.

The most logical IS that this is what we will see. I dont say its those prototype but some kind of iteration of it. We have to face it it takes years to come up with a device. Escpecially when the team is under 100 developers.

I know that about STEricsson partner but still it could be a member too but smoke to make it look like STEricsson was the main partner.

Kangal 2013-05-19 12:46

An "Intel phone" ?

I hope not !
Currently the only plausibilities for this are the chips:

Intel Atom Z2460 - 1.6GHz (Lenovo K800)
Intel Atom Z2480 - 1.8GHz (Motorola RAZR i)
Intel Atom Z2580 - 2GHz (Lenovo K900)
Intel Atom Z2760 - 2GHz (Acer W510) - The most recent product, Clover Trail+

Intel also has other Z-line chips but they're either too large and generate too much heat, or they're too thirsty running at ~9W whereas you need an average power draw of ~4.5W for mobile phones (~8W for 10" tablets).

So currently Intel's best seem to run a tad slower than Qualcomm's 1.5GHz Dualcore S4's (except in browsing where it is surprisingly the market leader) and it also runs a tad thirstier.

Now the real magic is going to be in the next-gen.
Intel's promised to soon update the CloverTrail+ products that it only recently launched. That means sometime this year we'll get to see Bay Trail.

Intel will be pushing the 32nm to 22nm fabrication (and the usual 1.8GHz to 2.1GHz).
It will remove hyperthreading while introducing a Quadcore configuration.
And since this is Intel doing it, you won't see a drop in battery life because of those 2 extra cores (unlike most unproven competitors). On top of this, they're including a proper GPU, which also supports MS's own Direct X11 (as well as OGLES).

All of this would amount to a ~60% increase in performance, without affecting the battery life.
Or in layman's terms, about as thirsty and powerful as the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (aka Quad S4 PRO).

And if that wasn't good enough, Haswell is launching in a matter of weeks.
Intel will officially offer some Haswell (Core i3, Core i5, Core i7) chips with as low as 8W of power. That's targeted at tablets.... well, they're too big to fit inside a phone anyway. However, Intel is actually going to best themselves too, and its likely that we'll see a 5W Haswell processor (7in tablets anyone?).

http://cdn.macnn.com/news/1211/intel-bay-lg2.jpg
http://cdn.macnn.com/news/1211/intel-bay-lg3.jpg

Dave999 2013-05-19 12:52

Intel is not the other half.

If so that is the worst commercial ever!

This must be something related to the consumer.

jalyst 2013-05-19 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1344709)
Hey I just realized something, Jolla phone is going to suck.

...wait, wait, hear me out...

Remember when the N900 was revealed?
We all thought "man a 500MHz processor, that's dog, a phone with real processing power".

And within 1-1.5 years it was severely obsoleted because we had a 1GHz processing, Dual core, and 1GB of RAM.

Now, I feel like Jolla's going to release something with a Snapdragon.
Particularly the nimble (and blazing) 1.5GHz S4 Dual, with 1/2GB of RAM.
...that's awesome.
But the problem with that is soon we're going to get 2GHz, 64-bit architecture, 4GB of RAM in the near future.

Something like that would probably run desktop grade 'nix without much need of "dumbing down" during a port.

The industry's about to leap to the next-gen, and I feel like we're going to repeat the whole N900/N9/N950 saga again.

You really came up with all of that yourself, that's amazing powers of deduction/logic :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1344652)
Now that we are in OT territory, lets not try to practice revisionist history.

HiFo's BoD was hugely responsible for the above situation (NDA anyone?) so there was no bypassing but simply concerned community members looking into things. To expect people to remain silent in this open place when the BoD was failing at almost every of its objective is nothing short of insanity IMO.

+1 Although I suspect you may be reading a bit much into what he said.
I'm not sure he meant to sound as accusatory, at least I hope he didn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1344725)
An N900 fares well against a 3GS in performance, but is notably underwhelming against a 4.
Just as the N9 is notably weaker than a SGSII or 4S.
Will the Jolla-phone provide us with impressive console-like performance while the industry makes the leap to Desktop Grade performance?

I'm not sure why you're unaware of the fact that the core hw will be sub-par.
They've been flashing a neon sign the whole time, hinting that it'll be quite a few notches below industry leading core hw/specs.

They will try to differentiate on:

(1)
sw still runs very smooth regardless of the sub-par core specs

(2)
one or more unique/innovative or industry leading hw features

(3)
the entire sw stack (or aspects of it)

(4)
"ecosystem" flexibility.

It's not "magical", but being a tiny start-up that's all they got to go with...
If sales do reasonably well, they may be more aggressive with core hw in future iterations (or maybe not).
So long as the price isn't too high, I'll be happy with sub-par "core" specs.

misterc 2013-05-19 13:19

Re: #JollaLoveDay - 20th May - device announcement

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1344652)
Now that we are in OT territory, lets not try to practice revisionist history.

HiFo's BoD was hugely responsible for the above situation (NDA anyone?) so there was no bypassing but simply concerned community members looking into things. To expect people to remain silent in this open place when the BoD was failing at almost every of its objective is nothing short of insanity IMO.

thedead1440,
Ivan replied to my original post

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1344507)
[...]
about the "no support to this community by Jolla"...
end of last year there were contacts between Council (Board?) and Jolla, but apparently the contact got sabotaged; if memory serves well by some Council / Board members.

[...]

i have been dropping in & out (more out then in, honestly) of TMO since a few months, sometimes not even coming to the site weeks at end and i only heard about the failed attempt to get Jolla on the sponsor list of Maemo.org after the fact, during a Council meeting, in the heat of an other argument.
my mistake
Ivan himself points out that BoD didn't do a good job, but obviously, Council / Board kept trying to talk to Jolla, without success.
looks to me like the confusion was as much if not more Jolla's responsability

this being said, Jolla has a link to Maemo.org on each topic page (see Modular Jolla Phones: A New Age In Mobile ?)
i don't think Maemo.org paid anything for that?

Morpog 2013-05-19 22:11

http://abload.de/img/jolladay-end2x1km6.png

nodevel 2013-05-19 22:31

Re: #JollaLoveDay - 20th May - device announcement

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1344802)
this being said, Jolla has a link to Maemo.org on each topic page (see Modular Jolla Phones: A New Age In Mobile ?)
i don't think Maemo.org paid anything for that?

You realize that 'jollatides.com' is just a fanpage, not affiliated with Jolla, right?

JiiHoo 2013-05-20 09:17

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/3...349376/photo/1

v0id 2013-05-20 09:52

dat bezel! >.< i'm dissapoint

juiceme 2013-05-20 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 1345008)
dat bezel! >.< i'm dissapoint

What does this "bezel" people keep talking about mean?
Is it the border around the phone screen?