maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish now on 1.0 (Jolla MWC announcement) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92742)

nodevel 2014-03-25 14:17

Re: Sailfish now on 1.0 (Jolla MWC announcement)

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyzthomas (Post 1418442)
Why make it so hidden?

A static text display, without any selectable action, on the Pulley Menu is absolutely a wrong way to use the Pulley Menu.

I know Jolla is Unlike, but some of these are just Unwanted.

I really like this one. It doesn't clutter the screen, doesn't affect the pulley menu's function and most of all, it perfectly fits Jolla's philosophy of hiding information of lower importance (week numbers in calendar are a great example).

jesper 2014-03-25 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1418445)
I really like this one. It doesn't clutter the screen, doesn't affect the pulley menu's function and most of all, it perfectly fits Jolla's philosophy of hiding information of lower importance (week numbers in calendar are a great example).

But then one should make better use of all the empty and uncluttered space now available in the lock screen.

Today the lock screen (and the left/right swipe for ambiance) takes up a lot of UI space without providing much functionality.

//j

abyzthomas 2014-03-25 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1418445)

It is interesting that someone prefers to double tap and pull down to see a basic info like date. Why don't they move the time also to another Pull down option for you.

That way we can keep the lock screen very clean. Better yet, let us hide all basic information, to pull downs.

Since different people like different things, it would be nice if Jolla could give us an option for this.

On the lock screen, Jolla decided that everyone likes to hide date, battery, online status. For date, they decided everyone should double tap and pull down. For battery and online status, they decided everyone should double tap and pull up. For time, bluetooth and network traffic icons, just double tap.

I don't like to use iPhone because I don't like the manufacturer decides what I like and shove it down my throat.

herpderp 2014-03-25 17:14

You should post this to TJC as a suggestion!

abyzthomas 2014-03-25 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by herpderp (Post 1418465)
You should post this to TJC as a suggestion!

It is already there.

herpderp 2014-03-25 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyzthomas (Post 1418466)

Sorry, I left out the sarcasm indicator, I meant your rant about hiding everything... :)

abyzthomas 2014-03-25 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by herpderp (Post 1418474)
Sorry, I left out the sarcasm indicator, I meant your rant about hiding everything... :)

I know. I should not do that. I like Jolla too much, but some of these things that they are doing are backwards in my opinion.

Change is good if it makes us more productive or reduces the steps it takes to do something. If it increases the steps, I think we should reconsider the decision to make the change.

I am not being sarcastic though. I am making my comments because I really feel like Jolla will listen and needs to hear what their users actually feels.

I am looking forward to future updates and hope they consider some of the opinions and improve the usability of their interface.

herpderp 2014-03-25 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyzthomas (Post 1418485)
I know. I should not do that. I like Jolla too much, but some of these things that they are doing are backwards in my opinion.

Change is good if it makes us more productive or reduces the steps it takes to do something. If it increases the steps, I think we should reconsider the decision to make the change.

I wholeheartedly agree.

strongm 2014-04-09 08:29

>in a couple of weeks they should announce a few partnerships

And here we are, over a month later, and I must have missed these announcement(s) ...

herpderp 2014-04-09 10:17

Keep waiting...
http://gcpm11-forums.2322141.n4.nabb...n-computer.jpg

bockersjv 2014-04-09 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 1420486)
>in a couple of weeks they should announce a few partnerships

And here we are, over a month later, and I must have missed these announcement(s) ...

They were announced at MWC but I too am looking forward to seeing some of these actaully happen. I want to see native Angry Birds, not only to show that games makers are willing to port to Sailfish but also interested to see how it integrates with the OS such as the OTH ambience.

Fsecure is interesting for having cloud back up which I really miss too, let alone it's other uses.

I am not sure these are related to a release as such, but if they are the next release is rumoured for 14th April. That date would figure as about a month since 1.0.4.2.

I don't think you were alone to be expecting these alliances and features with the last and first non beta release. I certainly was expecting them otherwise why make the announcement?

Lots of excitement at MWC but it's all gone quiet since.

strongm 2014-04-09 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bockersjv (Post 1420504)
They were announced at MWC

The partnerships with Rovio, F-Secure and Tieto were announced prior to MWC, and are not what I am referring to.

Since MWC, on 20 March it was reported that Antti Saarnio, Jolla's Chairman of the Board, has stated that Jolla would be announcing new partnerships "in the next couple of weeks" (http://www.kauppalehti.fi/etusivu/jo...a/201403661142)

bockersjv 2014-04-09 13:13

Maybe he is a trekkie, where weeks mean months and months mean years, after all it was an uncoded channel :D

Hypnos 2014-04-09 14:40

5 Attachment(s)
Couple of days ago I noticed that there were tons of Jolla package updates available in Warehouse program (does anyone else have these?) and I decided to run "pkcon update" in terminal.
It seems that I got beta version of next update (Paarlampi) as result.
Attached screenshots of some changes I noticed:

Mitrigol 2014-04-09 15:17

Nice one, will also try once at home.

On a side note, i would not release my phone IMEI on the internet :)

szymeczek34 2014-04-09 15:19

Tried, but no luck.

mousse04 2014-04-09 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by szymeczek34 (Post 1420569)
Tried, but no luck.

same for me :(

aegis 2014-04-09 19:38

The 14th of April date is probably just people getting confused with the tag on together being apr14 where 14 is more than likely the year.

https://together.jolla.com/questions...:apr14/page:1/

Personally I'd rather they took longer and got CalDAV and possibly CardDAV working. I've not been able to sync my phone since November last year and I'm having to carry another phone around to do that.

w00t 2014-04-10 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1420604)
Personally I'd rather they took longer and got CalDAV and possibly CardDAV working. I've not been able to sync my phone since November last year and I'm having to carry another phone around to do that.

If we took a bit longer and waited for every feature that everyone held that opinion on ... well ... you'd be waiting even longer than it took Nokia to deliver a software update :)

Moving on (though I hope you get the point I'm trying to make, humour aside) - work on CalDAV is proceeding (https://github.com/nemomobile/buteo-sync-plugin-caldav/) - but it won't be featured in the next update. It probably won't be too far off, though, given it's coming together (YMMV: I don't work on any of this stuff, I haven't looked at the actual plans, just recalling what I remember).

It's taken a bit longer than I personally expected it would, but there's been a pretty big pile of work on top of the guys working on it, so I'm not entirely surprised.

juiceme 2014-04-10 09:45

CalDAV would be nice, yes, but no essential for me.
However the indication that MMS would be coming in Paarlampi is really good thing :D

BTW, @w00t, could you comment on how is it possible for someone to accidentally get a beta/partial of the next release from the store?

w00t 2014-04-10 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1420671)
BTW, @w00t, could you comment on how is it possible for someone to accidentally get a beta/partial of the next release from the store?

Accidentally... I don't really see how. Unless someone made a mistake on the infra side, but I'm not aware of any such happening.

jalyst 2014-04-10 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 1420672)
Accidentally... I don't really see how. Unless someone made a mistake on the infra side, but I'm not aware of any such happening.

See here...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...54#post1420554

w00t 2014-04-10 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1420674)

I saw. But from what I know, I still don't see that happening accidentally. Unless you change your release through SSU, you're tied to a given release until the store switches you over to the new one.

We don't have rolling repositories, but seperate repositories per software release.

aegis 2014-04-10 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 1420670)
If we took a bit longer and waited for every feature that everyone held that opinion on ... well ... you'd be waiting even longer than it took Nokia to deliver a software update :)

I know and adding reliable cloud syncing can't be easy. Just venting a bit. It's frustrating that my N9 still does so much more than my Jolla.

But you get my point. Only so much patience.

Dave999 2014-04-10 17:49

Next months update won't be software but rather new hardware according to my undercover source at jolla.

strongm 2014-04-10 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1420731)
Next months update won't be software but rather new hardware according to my undercover source at jolla.

If only your track record lent any credence to this ...

Dave999 2014-04-10 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 1420736)
If only your track record lent any credence to this ...

I concur...
I just relalized the whole world as we know it is built around speculations. Why not this thread?

jalyst 2014-04-10 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 1420521)
The partnerships with Rovio, F-Secure and Tieto were announced prior to MWC, and are not what I am referring to.

Since MWC, on 20 March it was reported that Antti Saarnio, Jolla's Chairman of the Board, has stated that Jolla would be announcing new partnerships "in the next couple of weeks" (http://www.kauppalehti.fi/etusivu/jo...a/201403661142)

They were asked what happened to this & this is all we got... :rolleyes:
https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/454324527074652160

strongm 2014-04-11 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1420751)
They were asked what happened to this & this is all we got... :rolleyes:
https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/454324527074652160

I was just about to post a link to the press release that that twitter thread refers to. Have to say I agree that it is less then underwhelming and perhaps worrying, and not what the announcement of an announcement implied was on the way.

Whilst it is good news that Jollla is increasing the number of local sales partners, I'm afraid that I'm not sure I believe they can live on a Finland-only retail environment.

jalyst 2014-04-11 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 1420811)
I was just about to post a link to the press release that that twitter thread refers to. Have to say I agree that it is less then underwhelming and perhaps worrying, and not what the announcement of an announcement implied was on the way.

Whilst it is good news that Jollla is increasing the number of local sales partners, I'm afraid that I'm not sure I believe they can live on a Finland-only retail environment.

I couldn't read that article referenced in that twitter thread I linked to, because it breaks in google translate, I assume you speak Finnish.
Getting rather tired of their regular hints that something substantive will be announced, only to find later that it's some "piddly" thing (or nothing at all).

bockersjv 2014-04-11 08:27

Version 1.0.5.16 out today, lets see if anything follows from this?

juiceme 2014-04-11 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1420817)
I couldn't read that article referenced in that twitter thread I linked to, because it breaks in google translate, I assume you speak Finnish.
Getting rather tired of their regular hints that something substantive will be announced, only to find later that it's some "piddly" thing (or nothing at all).

I just noticed that indeed, google translate is broken. :mad:
It used to be able to just paste in an URL, and it would give me an URL for the translated text. Now what happens is it just tries to translate the given URL into another language... crazy stuff...

juiceme 2014-04-11 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1420817)

Here's a freeform translation of the text:

Quote:

Smartphone developer Jolla has entered into a new sales partnerships in the home country.

Jolla has entered into a partnership with distributor "F9" who has arranged for distribution of Jolla brand smartphones to three new local stores:
- Verkkokauppa.com and its three retail stores
- Tekniset-retail chain's online store
- Musta Pörssi -retail chain's stores and online store.

The company claims that its sales are growing rapidly.

Jolla brought the first phone on sale in November. Since then, Jolla has released four software updates of its Sailfish operating system.

Official Sailfish OS 1.0 was released in February.

"Jolla smartphone and Sailfish OS 1.0 are now commercially ready also to the international market ," says CEO Tom Jolla Pienimäki.

"The trend will by no means end here. Our development works in close cooperation with our users" he says.

Salfish is based on the Nokia MeeGo operating system.

This news article was corrected at 17:30. Unlike the story incorrectly originally claimed, Jolla is a Helsinki-based smartphone developer.

jalyst 2014-04-11 16:42

Yaaawn... >.>

Dave999 2014-04-11 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1420946)
Yaaawn... >.>

Chear up! what to you want?
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/k...op-yawning.png

...Jolla’s Saarnio: “We are going to sell hundreds of thousands phones this spring and summer”

http://wpsailors.com/2014/03/20/joll...ng-and-summer/

Not sure where...