maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Water, Water, Everywhere (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83082)

Lumiaman 2012-03-17 18:34

Re: Water, Water, Everywhere

go to amazon.com in usa. its selling cheap, very cheap for 500 or so

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

jalyst 2012-03-17 18:53

Not bad. That's as good as the best retailer prices I've seen in Oz...
Haven't looked heavily yet, but the guys I checked often have the best prices.
That being the case, he's better-off getting it here w/full Aussie warranty etc.

efeinblatt 2012-03-18 00:52

Thanks for all the advice/sympathy. BTW, it wasn't in my pants pocket, it was lying on the bed when my wife stripped the sheets....
I am just visiting Perth for 3 months, so don't have local home insurance, and I live in the UK, which is why I need a European guarantee - thus a Finnish made one. Mobilicity and Mobiliciti do have better prices than I found in the US. I assume they are reliable, right?

Phone is sitting in a bowl of rice as I write.

Thanks.

RobertHall 2012-03-18 01:05

@OP sent you PM hope it helps you.....

ceroberts75 2012-03-18 02:43

Take it apart and rice it. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose at this point.

I Have saved many 'clean' devices!

Also, you can try www.welectronics.com

Make sure you mention my handle and they may give you a discount.

If you can, talk to Luis.

efeinblatt 2012-03-18 06:03

Thanks, but I'm not sure I'm going to send it to Chicago USA from Perth AU. Will see if I can take it apart myself. Any videos online about how to do that?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceroberts75 (Post 1180880)
Take it apart and rice it. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose at this point.

I Have saved many 'clean' devices!

Also, you can try www.welectronics.com

Make sure you mention my handle and they may give you a discount.

If you can, talk to Luis.

biketool 2012-03-18 06:33

Better way to dry it out, this works best within 3-4 hours of the incident and has saved many laptops and phones.
0- ONLY if your issue is salt water or other contaminated water your phone is already wet, rinse with soft water preferably distilled ASAP but anything is better than salt water, shake dry repeat, this removes the damaging salt as quickly as possible before it has the chance to penetrate
1-put a plate in your oven on the wire rack and set it to a very low setting say around 40-50c or 110-130f.
2-If you have a torx set open the phone and disassemble as far as possible, laptops mostly use regular screws
3-use canned air to blow out as much moisture as possible no matter if you can disassemble it or not
4-it has probably taken you at least 1/2 hour to do all of this, go feel the plate it should be hot but not burn you, if so....
5-put parts on a paper towel or wash cloth and close the oven, use turbo(blower, convection, the fan) mode if available
6-obtain the largest weapon you can find and guard the oven from everyone until you feel it has cooked for long enough probably an hour or two, no point walking away and letting your room mate preheat the oven for muffins slagging your phone. A big sign is a good idea too, what if you need a potty break. Also don't forget and go to bed, drinking or drugs to sooth the pain might cause this.
7-Pray, it cant hurt...
8- reassemble and test
Not sure how much moisture rice that has been exposed to ambient humidity will actually absorb, maybe if allowed to dry in an oven it will do a better job as the mythical mobile phone remedy.

jalyst 2012-03-18 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by efeinblatt (Post 1180858)
Thanks for all the advice/sympathy. BTW, it wasn't in my pants pocket, it was lying on the bed when my wife stripped the sheets....
I am just visiting Perth for 3 months, so don't have local home insurance, and I live in the UK, which is why I need a European guarantee - thus a Finnish made one. Mobilicity and Mobiliciti do have better prices than I found in the US. I assume they are reliable, right?

Phone is sitting in a bowl of rice as I write.

Thanks.

In that case you're best off sourcing it from one of the cheapest/better-known retailers in the EU.*
Warranty is EU-wide no matter which EU country you buy from (thanks to EU laws).
Check out some of the big threads here dedicated to discussing availability for ideas/tips.
Forget the Oz retailers I suggested, they're well-known and reliable, but that's besides the point.

*assuming your salvage attempts don't work of course.

ssjmec 2012-03-18 16:46

Yeah, dryer not too close then bury it on rice for days. My girlfriend's BB swam into a toilet bowl, and I buried it in rice then sealed it in a tupperware (air proof) and it worked like charm :P

efeinblatt 2012-03-19 03:37

Not sure you're correct, but maybe this needs clarification. I bought my - now dead - 64 GB N9 in NYC, but because it was a made-in-finland model, it had an EU guarantee. I assumed, from that experience, that any made in Finland model that is not locked to a service provider is an 'EU' model, which would make buying one from the Aussie sites OK if I could be sure to get said model. Please correct me if this is wrong.