maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Some new hints about Nokia Dali device (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67371)

H3llb0und 2010-12-23 23:21

Re: Some new hints about Nokia Dali device

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 903151)
The Flash CS IDE is crappy and bloated no matter how you use it. And have you ever used Adobe Reader in Linux? Piece. Of. Crap.

Don't use Adobe Reader then.

And the Flash CS IDE looks and works just fine for me. Maybe the problem is between the chair and the keyboard?

marxian 2010-12-23 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3llb0und (Post 903153)
Cool.

Now imagine that you have a website where you post your own videos / short films, whatever.
Explain to me how will you protect your content from being stolen from you with HTML5.

Flash is no more secure if you know how to use RTMPDump. The world is changing. Too bad.

Anyhow, I'm only speaking for myself as a user of the web. Others will feel differently. Especially Flash devs that have invested time and money in this technology.

H3llb0und 2010-12-23 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 903156)
Flash is no more secure if you know how to use RTMPDump. The world is changing. Too bad.

Anyhow, I'm only speaking for myself as a user of the web. Others will feel differently. Especially Flash devs that have invested time and money in this technology.

If you know what you're doing NOTHING is 100% secure.

Yes the world is changing, but unfortunately I see the world around me changing to cater for the lowest common denominators:
Apple users and Game console users

Rauha 2010-12-23 23:29

Thread about Dali?
Nope.

It's the 16399976th "Flash sucks and HTML5 will save the world" thread.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/me...ing-thread.gif

marxian 2010-12-23 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3llb0und (Post 903157)
Yes the world is changing, but unfortunately I see the world around me changing to cater for the lowest common denominators:
Apple users and Game console users

But that has nothing to do with the possible demise of Flash. In fact, 99.9% of the Flash objects I have seen have been either annoying ads, crappy games, or pointless bloat where simple HTML would have done the job adequately.

There's a reason why Flash blockers are amongst the most popular web browser plugins.

H3llb0und 2010-12-23 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 903162)
But that has nothing to do with the possible demise of Flash. In fact, 99.9% of the Flash objects I have seen have been either annoying ads, crappy games, or pointless bloat where simple HTML would have done the job adequately.

There's a reason why Flash blockers are amongst the most popular web browser plugins.

Is that Adobe's fault? Or is that the advertisers (and whoever they hire to make those annoying ads?) fault?

Crappy games are everywhere, made in Flash or in Unreal Engine.
Again it's the developers fault, not the technology they used.

So, if 100's or 1000's of games use Crytek's CryEngine, but 99% of those games suck, using your logic CryEngine sucks and should die? Give me a break.

theonelaw 2010-12-23 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelago (Post 903109)
I've just spotted this interesting post on the meego-community mailing list by Philippe De-Swert from Nokia:
http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...er/002993.html
which contains info on the Nokia "Dali", which I believe is the codename for the MeeGo-Harmattan device often referred to as N9.

Elsewhere there is the news there is no development device
(from Intel) available until March whenever.
Looks like Intel is targeting a 2011 Christmas for having
a serious foundation of Intel chips running Meego.
(Probably tablets and not handphones)

And no development device from Nokia at all.

If real development begins first on Intel hardware in March (wait for it)
and Nokia is not even planning to have a development platform
then Nokia hardware compatibility ain't gonna happen

contrast this with (same page)
Quote:

Texas Instruments

(Jayabharath Goluguri, OMAP community manager)

Our intent is the following:

1. To provide boards that helps make MeeGo rock on ARM hardware (in our case OMAP :)
2. Enable meego community access to HW to do the necessary optimizations for ARM SoC's (in our case OMAP)
3. Enable innovation with MeeGo that is typically possible only with development platforms (e.g., multiple display support, boot from MMC, interfacing & integration to various sensors)
Nokia is nowhere to be seen in the actual doings of this.

If Nokia thinks this is the way to develop
(build device, market it, develop it after it is marketed,
then abandon it before it is even gets to developers)
then they really are doomed

mattbutsko 2010-12-23 23:59

Quote:

Intel is targeting a 2011 Christmas
Ha, MeeGo doesn't have a chance commercially. We should be able to buy MeeGo devices right now, like it was originally planned. Two huge monster companies, industry leaders, and they can't take Linux and develop a portable OS out of it on time? That's sad. They started MeeGo back in, what, February? Develop drivers, develop a UI, write sms and phone applications, deploy. Shouldn't be too hard for these two giants.

NvyUs 2010-12-24 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattbutsko (Post 903179)
That's sad. They started MeeGo back in, what, February? Develop drivers, develop a UI, write sms and phone applications, deploy. Shouldn't be too hard for these two giants.

Stop the talking BollXXs

theonelaw 2010-12-24 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattbutsko (Post 903179)
Ha, MeeGo doesn't have a chance commercially. We should be able to buy MeeGo devices right now, like it was originally planned. Two huge monster companies, industry leaders, and they can't take Linux and develop a portable OS out of it on time? That's sad. They started MeeGo back in, what, February? Develop drivers, develop a UI, write sms and phone applications, deploy. Shouldn't be too hard for these two giants.

It is a very good demonstration of how difficult it is
for bloated and top-heavy industrial dinosaurs
to do anything correctly.

What you said is spot on - there should be hardware,
primitive, kludged together and unfinished in favor of
-right now- availability.

The problem with that is that Nokia lacks continuity.

Nokia is in grasshopper mode right now,
and if you developed on one Nokia device
you could almost put money in the bank the next Nokia
device will be utterly incompatible with the previous one.

Texas Instruments is on their game,
but Intel and Nokia are preparing for an Epic Fail.