maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   July Update 1.0.8.X (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93421)

juiceme 2014-07-08 10:22

Re: July Update 1.0.8.X

Quote:

Originally Posted by TemeV (Post 1432101)
In many cases shutdowns are related to high peak in power consumption and high impedance between the battery and the phone.

Exactly. One of the problems in the HW design is the battery contact point which is very small due to the shape of a single sharp pin pressing against a flat battery contact. Usually better (and more expensive) contact geometry would be a multileafed flatter contact element with enough surface pressure.

But anyways, this is one of the downsides of having a removable battery... And I do remember people really wanted that feature :D:D

b.cloanta 2014-07-08 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leinad (Post 1432100)
well, maybe there are different HW-versions / batteries, i can only talk about my device: it's absolutely software related:

when i turn off mobile internet, i have no reboots at all. when i turn it on in areas with weak network i have like 50 reboots / hour.

how can this be HW related?

I had the same problem like you, and i send it back to Jolla for repair. He change only battery , and now i don't have shutdown/reboot anymore

nieldk 2014-07-08 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatko (Post 1432092)
I also think it is some kind of HW + SW combination that triggers the reboots. And I really doubt that these will be ever fixed. Unfortunately Jolla seems to have many HW quality issues.

Even if its a hardware issue, it can indeed be mitigated by software.
Allthough, adding more monitoring for these kind of issues may bring up other issues....

Leinad 2014-07-08 10:42

Hm ok, i'll give this "paper trick" one more try... i tried it once and it had no effect. I'll try it with more paper now :)

this is annoying, when swapping batteries, but if it really fixes reboots, it's worth it...

Bundyo 2014-07-08 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatko (Post 1432092)
I also think it is some kind of HW + SW combination that triggers the reboots. And I really doubt that these will be ever fixed. Unfortunately Jolla seems to have many HW quality issues.

For me the battery and its connectors are the bad guy. Nothing that a good piece of paper can't fix.

Dave999 2014-07-08 10:59

Where is the update? One week away?

Any word of proper copy and paste?

matimilko 2014-07-08 11:15

[QUOTE=Leinad;
this is annoying, when swapping batteries, but if it really fixes reboots, it's worth it...[/QUOTE]

You have more then one battery?
Where did You bought it?

Leinad 2014-07-08 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by matimilko (Post 1432110)
You have more then one battery?
Where did You bought it?

the screen of my first device broke, so i ordered a second one, because sending it in for screen repair was not much cheaper than a new one.

abyzthomas 2014-07-08 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1432105)
Even if its a hardware issue, it can indeed be mitigated by software.
Allthough, adding more monitoring for these kind of issues may bring up other issues....

I think you are correct. There is some software that is making this battery hardware issue less forgiving and make the system restart.

I resetted my Jolla when 1.0.7 came out. I was using the white OH until 3 days ago. I never had a reboot issue since I resetted. As soon as I installed The First One ambience, it started the reboot issue. It was really unusable. I put the white one back and it continued to do that. I removed the first one ambiance but did not solve it. But I added my paper patch and it stopped.

It is possible that it was just in a good position before I inserted the first one OH, but it is unlikely because I did not take the battery out.

I also have the issue of network error noise after an incoming call ring ends without picking up, that is so annoying. After resetting this did not happen until I enabled some default Ambience, I don't remember which one. I removed all ambience, but that noise does not go away.

coderus 2014-07-08 13:11

Dave999 for browser the only new feature is creating bookmarks on Launcher. No updates for text selection :)

(i will update browser nightly soon after mitakuuluu update, stay tuned)