maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   App Crash during Texting N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54825)

marcdxn 2010-06-02 15:26

Re: App Crash during Texting N900

I'm putting this down as resolving the issue for anyone else having this problem. I've had a days use now with no problems since i flashed the Fiasco current global & eMMC.

I'm slightly annoyed in ways that i can't find whats caused it in the first place - i've installed all my applications & restored contacts and everything is running right as rain.

I'm annoyed that if this happens again the only fix we currently have is to reflash.

marcdxn 2010-06-02 16:59

I'm back !!!!

And so is this bloody issue !

But this time i think i'm making progress... same error once again writing a reply text message the crash happened on a short text message so i opened the text message app again and started to write the exact same message.

'Back gardens turning into a grow fest'

Crashed as soon as i'd wrote 'fest'

so i re-wrote the text again to be sure same thing directly after finishing the word 'fest'

So i wrote on its own in the text reply 'fest'

crash happens straight after that word.

I've tried this on other conversations in the sms view and it still crashes which is leading me to believe that this is something to do with the stored words in the dictionary.

Please can someone else with this issue attempt to locate the word in the text they write that triggers this problem to prove that its a particular word causing this and not a random occurance?

If someone can reply with how to clear the words from the internal dictionary i would like to try this next to see if this bug and kicked out.

Thanks,

Marc

***I would like to add after further testing this problem - it will crash any part of Maemo where predictive dictionary text is used - not just the sms application***

marcdxn 2010-06-02 17:24

http://static.pixelpipe.com/807f2e02...c5e18a46_m.jpg

http://static.pixelpipe.com/6d6ed28c...65ac1d9e_m.jpg

As above Maemo Community help needed !

Goto Settings > Text Input > [Uncheck] Word Completion > Save

This stops the crash but then your auto word completion is also turned off... it has to be something to do with a corruption in the stored dictionary....

qwerty12 2010-06-02 17:34

You could try moving/deleting the files in /home/user/.osso/dictionaries/. It'll mean that any words you typed will be gone from the dictionary, however.

ToJa92 2010-06-02 17:39

Since you flashed the eMMC you should not have any remains of the custom dictionary. My N900 doesn't crash when I write 'fest' with the US dictionary enabled.

marcdxn 2010-06-02 17:48

If i turn off the predictive text entry as above the crash no longer happens.

Dictionary being used : UK
Language: Nederlands English

Could you test with the same dictionary, i don't think its a standard problem but one created by custom inputs i'm unsure but its baffling me.

g-man 2010-07-30 14:00

@marcdxn
Thanks for writing this post. I've similar problem, except my apps crashes with the same message as yours when trying to access the symbols with [FN] + [SYM/CTRL]
Tried with "Goto Settings > Text Input > [Uncheck] Word Completion > Save" without luck.
Haven't re-flashed yet.
Anyone made bug-report?

harbind 2011-06-07 12:13

For me it was Word Completion that caused crashes. After removing /home/user/.osso/dictionaries/.personal.dirtionary all seams to work. Really annoying bug.

Dr.Marcial 2012-04-27 15:16

sorry to revive such an old post, but I had the same problem of everything (conversations, microb, etc) crashing when I typed anything and it was driving me nuts, I even deleted battery/speed patch, kp kernels, I was one step away from flashing the device because I could not write anything.

For me Spacebar was the cause of my woes, only using the virtual keyboard would help me send sms and search the web.

Finally i arrived here and disabled my word completion from text settings and it worked very well, of course this was just a temporary fix.

I didnt want to delete my dictionaries completely, so what I did was use "Autocomp Edit" from the repositories and deleted all entries, this just leaves the dictionary in its original form and deletes all the "added" words you may have typed; then I re-enabled the word completion.

So far so good, the problem seems to have gone away completely and I can still use my autocomplete feature.

Maybe this will help someone in the future so they dont have to flash