maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   TrueCrypt 7 with GUI and kernel crypto (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=68419)

Estel 2011-12-05 21:34

Re: TrueCrypt 7 with GUI and kernel crypto

+1 for above. Also, it's beter to have version depending on kp, than version with -nokernelcrypto hardcoded - it's even less fun, than forcing kernels ;)

Not to mention, that average (even power-) user can miss this thread, while it's not likely to miss package in repositories. At least my order for getting this is:
1) search repos, read package dates, changelogs, descriptions etc
2) IF 1) fail, search wiki, OR if plentora of competing packages found, do the same.
3) if 2) fails, search forum.

Also, if by any case, Your website with precompiled debs get down (You hit by a bus and no one to pay bills, or "they" taking it down), community still get repos version.

/Estel

Niwakame 2011-12-07 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIN101 (Post 921083)
Security Tips
Password leaks
Most of the passwords which are entered to a GUI, the one of TC included, are saved into a funny database, if you have the auto complete function of maemo enabled. Turn it off or move(See "Protection your files") the database to the encrypted volume. I disabled this feature and
shredded the db. Database path: /home/user/.osso/dictionaries/.personal.dictionary.

Shredding on an Flash-based medium is utterly useless, as the wear-levelling will reallocate sectors all over the "disk". This is also the case with SSD-drives in computers.

The only way is to delete the file and then overwrite the whole free space with zeroes. Not with random numbers, as zeroed memory blocks are usually faster when being written to.

NIN101 2011-12-12 21:16

Uff. Sigh. The license. This is the reason why Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora etc. do not package it. The web is full of debates about the supercool license and its restrictions. Clearly, it isn't cool. Otoh, for example, arch linux has it.

To put that aside I just created a new package here. It won't depend on kernel power or anything, but instead use a wrapper script which checks if the kernel has the xts moduleavailable. If not, it will start it tc with -m nokernelcrypto. That simple. Will upload it in the coming weeks once the license concerns disappear (IANAL).

Quote:

Shredding on an Flash-based medium is utterly useless, as the wear-levelling will reallocate sectors all over the "disk". This is also the case with SSD-drives in computers.
You are right. I realized this after a while that paragraph was written, but forgot to modify it (no excuse). Thx for pointing that out.

Mr Wolf 2012-01-06 12:03

Hi! Is it possible to mount for example external hard disks entirely encrypted? I've installed USB hostmode, but the hard disk is not recognized.

NIN101 2012-01-06 18:05

Sounds like a hostmode/udev/driver/kernel/whatever problem, not related to TrueCrypt.
Besides that, the answer is probably: yes.

Estel 2012-01-06 18:56

NIN101, not demanding anything, but what about packaging latest TrueCrypt and putting it into repos? I know one can do it manually, but when you declared that you're going to do it, I decided to wait... ;)

/Estel

NIN101 2012-01-06 20:07

I said I will package it. Done (based on the previous package). And now you are going to upload it to the repo with your details, because you are the one wanting it there so much. Deal? :P

Estel 2012-01-06 22:09

I'll try, but uploading pre-builded packages with autobuilder (sounds like and oxy*****, I'm not sure if it's even possible) is out of my scope. i'll check if it's possible via dput and public key. don't blame me if it result in version that eats Your device, though ;)

AFAIK, if You have code and build environment on Your machine, it's all a matter of creating a debian .control file, then autobuilder will swallow it. Unfortunately, I don't have build environment (promising myself, that one day, I'm going to prepare one) , as I'm not coder, which I mentioned many times in the past.

/Estel

// Edit

I think i know how to upload it to extras with less possible hassle included. Can you provide here Debian-compliant (=Maemo-compliant = exactly same You used to build package)...
Code:

<truecrypt_version>.tar.gz
<truecrypt_version>.diff.gz
<truecrypt_version>.changes
<truecrypt_version>.dsc

...? As you've already builded it, you probably know what I'm talking about - heck, most likely, You know it better than me, as I'm actually even pretty unsure, if all mentioned files are mandatory, or only some of them (.tar.gz probably is, <truecrypt_version>.changes is nice to have but not mandatory I think, and .dsc seems to be mandatory also).

then, i'll try to upload them via my garage account. If it succeed, we would only need to make You maintainer of this package, or it won't be able to go out of -devel.

Estel 2012-01-08 10:03

TrueCrypt 7.1 is available in extras-devel:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81435

impeham 2012-01-09 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIN101 (Post 921083)

But anyway, here we go
a) Moving phonebook
This will move your phonebook. Symbolic links will point to the path in your encrypted volume. However, this is just a "mv", which means, no secure delete will occur on the source directories.
Code:

cd /home/user/
mv .osso-abook/ [tcvolume]
mv .osso-abook-backup/ [tcvolume]
ln -s [tcvolume]/.osso-abook/ .
ln -s [tcvolume]/.osso-abook-backup .
chown user -R [tcvolume]/.osso-abook/

b) Moving SMS
Code:

cd /home/user
mv .rtcom-eventlogger [tcvolume]
ln -s [tcvolume]/.rtcom-eventlogger .

chown user -R [tcvolume]/.rtcom-eventlogger

NIN101

moving the SMS and IM messages folder and using link works good, even if you don't insert the password and activate the conversations application - you will find that it is empty. To make it work again - mount the drive and use:

kill `pgrep -f ".*rtcom-messaging-ui.*"`

to kill all old processes (if you don't do that, you will have to restart before you can see the conversations).

The problem i find is that i cannot do the same for the contacts application - moving it to the encrypted drive causes a problem - the integration with the Instant Messaging statuses will not work and you will get error messages. Anyone got this solved?

Thanks.