maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Brainstorm (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Brainstorm: Porting maemo to other devices instead (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79333)

salcykhan 2012-03-04 03:43

Re: Brainstorm: Porting maemo to other devices instead

i wish maemo on sumsang glide
it dual core with keyborad

jem555 2012-03-20 01:53

Hi. Anyone is still working on this?

gerbick 2012-03-20 01:56

Nobody was really working on this. It was talk, nothing more.

Nemo is about as close as you'll get to Maemo on any other non-Nokia device.

jem555 2012-03-20 02:20

Yeah... But a spark of hope is always there. Maemo 5 has become a great OS and lately this community has been working a lot. Why not give it a try on a newer device with better specs? I also know that there are no drivers but who knows... OSs in the actual market are worthless! What can we expect from android, iOS o w7? Even symbian's life is a dead end.

ibrakalifa 2012-03-20 02:25

no its just a dream, dream thats can be real if nokia release the sources, :(

jem555 2012-03-20 02:44

What could be done for this to happen? Nobody asked for the sources to nokia yet? I know it's not that easy...but there has to be already an answer... Of not, there has to be something to do, don't you think?

ibrakalifa 2012-03-20 02:56

i want to see its happened too, it will be so amazing to run maemo on dualcore or maybe quadcore and best gpu outside there, but its just a dream, just admit it, nokia will not release the sources, *sigh

jem555 2012-03-22 20:43

Do you know if anybody tried to flash maemo on a milestone 3 for example or on any other device?
I think both devices share similar hardware.
I read on the web that milestone 3 bootloader has been unlocked.

szopin 2012-03-22 21:40

The best bet would be Pre 3, with the whole opensourcing webos etc... not that significant, but as webos things run practically with no changes required...

GrimyHR 2012-03-23 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by szopin (Post 1182950)
The best bet would be Pre 3, with the whole opensourcing webos etc... not that significant, but as webos things run practically with no changes required...

lol, yeah no changes when porting to a completly different hardware...

szopin 2012-03-23 17:19

Pre Plus then? Same hardware, would need tweaking for lower resolution, twice as much ram. Depending on the scale of opensourcing (drivers for snapdragon/adreno) Pre 3 would be a good choice, no need for lower resolution then.

gerbick 2012-03-24 18:41

Can people even find a Pre 3?

The Wizard of Huz 2012-05-20 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1183691)

I had one for two weeks. Had a problem with slider so sent it back. WebOS is no match to Maemo 5. Was nice but a lot of things are missing. Can only import or export from calendar or contacts through google or yahoo or exchange. No support for msn.
Search is nice though. Did not like the capacitiv screen, with all the hoovering above the buttons.

sifo 2012-05-20 22:56

you will kill N900 for ever with this "Brainstorm" but will that devices be able to aircrack and multiboot hostemode or anything related to KP I dont think so right ?

gerbick 2012-05-21 00:21

Aircrack isn't the same as a full pentesting suite. There's a couple on Android, there's enough tools to do the same on the N900. Aircrack is just the start, shouldn't be a reason to say something is the "best" though.

Perhaps that's me. But the fact that as a phone it's somewhat lacking, the fact that it's low in regards to RAM and rootfs.

That last one can be "increased" but still... the fact that Maemo is not on any other device still persists. But there's Nemo...

immi.shk 2012-05-21 02:13

IMHO, N900 & Maemo are two separate identities, joined together to make a perfect match... but although N900 is Limited by its Hardware Maemo isn't..
Maemo deserves to be on Multi-cores & HD-Screen & GB's-ram & much vast audience/system's

gerbick 2012-05-21 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by immi.shk (Post 1209958)
IMHO, N900 & Maemo are two separate identities, joined together to make a perfect match... but although N900 is Limited by its Hardware Maemo isn't..

We're going to have to disagree since Maemo 5 (Fremantle) never appeared on anything else and we will never know fully since Fremantle has so many proprietary drivers and we'll never have the full source to see if it would scale up nicely to multiple cores and better hardware.

Then if you do jump up to better hardware, you can't do multiple touch - that came with Harmattan, and you can't do other things.

N900 + Fremantle = perfect match. We agree there. Could it scale up to modern hardware? Perhaps, but I doubt it would be worth the price of admission due to all of the closed software they put into Fremantle - this is where we'd have to disagree.

Cool idea and thread though.

ibrakalifa 2012-05-21 03:14

how bout harmattan on nexus? Lol

immi.shk 2012-06-27 17:19

Ok maemo is not fully open...

but what about Hildon Desktop (desktop taskmanager & apps), is that open ?

if so we can complete the missing chunks from nemo & MeeGo and complete the Jigsaw puzzle of maemo...

and not stopping there

taking all the driver database from Debian Live Cd/Dvd, we can make maemo live cd/dvd/usb working on virtually any thing Ubuntu has Reached... i.e. maemo devices,meego devices,android devices webos, Desktop's/Laptop's

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1...5onlaptop1.jpg
Maemo 5 live port(Concept) for Pc Laptop & Android Tablet's

just a thought :)
but knoppix & Ubuntu live cd's must also have been a thought in some phase of time

48GX 2012-06-27 17:59

possible stupid question, but:

how much can cost buying maemo 5 platform??

Would Nokia sell it?

immi.shk 2012-06-27 18:11

well thats not a stupid question... anyways nokia is selling its technologies & patents in yard sale's... so that might be possible ;)

on second thought : nokia never(never ever never ever never never never ever) does anything that our community(TMO) likes/love's/wishes..
so its not possible :)

blackjack4it 2012-07-04 20:35

please please please port maemo to android devices, that is the only way to let our community to survive forever :(

vivmak 2012-07-04 20:45

Can it be ported on HP Touchpad, that will be a killer, I will sleep with it each night next to me in my bed :)

slaapliedje 2012-07-05 03:55

For the past while, I have simply been using Gnome-shell on my HP Touchsmart laptop. The Gnome actually modeled a lot after Maemo5! Take a look at the developer logs. The only thing I see that it's missing is ease of getting the screen to rotate without some weird hacks. It would also be really cool if I could get an internal GPS in it.

Gnome-Shell still needs to add multitouch support a well, but then maemo5 never really had it either.

slaapliedje

The Wizard of Huz 2012-07-05 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by immi.shk (Post 1228272)
Ok maemo is not fully open...

but what about Hildon Desktop (desktop taskmanager & apps), is that open ?

if so we can complete the missing chunks from nemo & MeeGo and complete the Jigsaw puzzle of maemo...

and not stopping there

taking all the driver database from Debian Live Cd/Dvd, we can make maemo live cd/dvd/usb working on virtually any thing Ubuntu has Reached... i.e. maemo devices,meego devices,android devices webos, Desktop's/Laptop's

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1...5onlaptop1.jpg
Maemo 5 live port(Concept) for Pc Laptop & Android Tablet's

just a thought :)
but knoppix & Ubuntu live cd's must also have been a thought in some phase of time

Something like the Viliv N5 or Umid m1 or Umid BZ. Runs ubuntu and other distro's. Must be very cheap these days on ebay.

The Wizard of Huz 2012-07-05 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1183691)

EDIT: already answered this question a whitle ago. Forgot about it. LOL

I'll write a review one of these days.

EDIT 2: How about replicating the UI of Maemo 5 in gnome 3. Would that be possible?

kingoddball 2012-07-23 05:21

Brainstorm: Porting maemo to other devices instead

Copyright...

Why doesn't someone try get Maemo running as a fully working chroot first?
Full GUI.

I have previously had Maemo running on a Galaxy S2. Was working fine, but was not worth my time or effort.
It's was CLI only, I couldn't get a GUI because of the way chrooting is done on Droid. Need to open the gui via a different program.

I think I deleted all the files and work after a few weeks. Due to copyright and that fact that I lost interest.

It is an easy job to get it running. Any android device. The droid kernel is not really compatible. Chroot was sharing the kernel. Oh well.

Edit: By any android: I mean "ARM" based.

MINKIN2 2012-07-23 15:18

Qwazix has been trying to do this with the n9. Maemo chroot runs fine but still could not get the GUI to load.

gerbick 2012-07-23 16:10

Even though this is more of a whine than an observation, I still find it odd that an open source system as such has not been ported to any other hardware.

Android has popped up in many places and it's less open.

Mentalist Traceur 2012-07-23 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1241726)
Even though this is more of a whine than an observation, I still find it odd that an open source system as such has not been ported to any other hardware.

Android has popped up in many places and it's less open.

Legally you currently would have to scrape out a LOT of the crap. BME is being made unnecessary given power kernel progress in version 51, gets rid of one thing, but there's other components that are Nokia only and not exactly freely distributable. Even though, for instance, /sbin/preinit is closed source but Nokia has given permission to modify and distribute it for community open source projects, **** knows if the permission given on one bugtracker bug will hold up as sound legal defence if you were to put said code on another device, because even if Nokia as a whole upholds that permission indefinitely (pffft, right), they could still play whatever word games they choose with the word "community" to mean that other devices are outside of the intended meaning for open source community projects.

But idk why Android gets ported more places. Perhaps because it's most popular? It's ubiquity means that more hardware already has binaries that will work with Android available somewhere? More people on the platform certainly helps. Less dilligent concern for legality probably is a factor as well - I've not been around much on these devices/phones/OS's parts of the internets, but this community seems to care about legality a lot more than many other device user communities I've glimpsed.

Of course, if you put Android on something, Google won't have a problem with it, if you put Maemo (5 or otherwise) on something (and left their trademark/copyright logos/whatever in there), Nokia would probably send their lawyers to do the typical primal feces-flinging.