maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Nokia N900 A-GPS Not Working Anymore (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90651)

nokiabot 2013-08-08 03:04

Re: Nokia N900 GPS Not Working Anymore

supl.google.com : supl.nokia.com and voda and few others are working fine for me any device india:) it takes just 5 to 10 seconds for lock:)

peterleinchen 2013-08-08 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1365675)
supl.google.com : supl.nokia.com and voda and few others are working fine for me any device india:) it takes just 5 to 10 seconds for lock:)

:rolleyes: :facepalm: :and more: :rolleyes:
Yes, of course. And you tested all of them AFTER you had already a successful lock and you did it in a short time period and at the same location! Very impressive and investigative.
By the way, this thread is not about any device (which of course may work with known supl servers), but about inability of the N900 to establish a secured connection from built-in AGPS functionality to those servers.

handaxe 2013-08-08 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1365675)

The problem is that a successfu fix gets cached and called upon the next time positioning is needed within a certain time-period. So try rebooting and see if you get a quick fix.

nokiabot 2013-08-08 09:00

Re: Nokia N900 A-GPS Not Working Anymore

i checked now is 40kms and 2 reeboots sufficent :) on the first try it took 15 to 20 seconds with gps jinni:)

sondjata 2013-08-08 12:05

I'm a T-Mo customer and AGPS is dead, dead, dead. Not happy about that. Downloaded the certs. rebooted. Nada.
And why would Nokia block Nokia devices. That's just stupid.

pichlo 2013-08-08 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by sondjata (Post 1365791)
And why would Nokia block Nokia devices. That's just stupid.

Not just stupid but if I read the FCC 911 enhancement requirement correctly, also illegal, at least in the US of A.

IANAL though so what do I know.

handaxe 2013-08-08 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1365731)
i checked now is 40kms and 2 reeboots sufficent :) on the first try it took 15 to 20 seconds with gps jinni:)

That is pretty fast for a cold fix. If you used location-test-gui after a reboot with ACWP positioning I wonder if you get anything?

glo-worm 2013-08-08 20:15

Hi there,

Just changed SUPL to vodafone after hard reboot, indoors with poor GPS skyview. Two flashes of the GPS icon after i change skype state to online,and i get coarse accuracy lock.

So for me it looks like both nokia and google SUPL dont work, but vodafone does.

Interestingly when i was testing with google SUPL, i never achieved GPS lock when using skype location as a trigger. I left the phone on the table outside with clear view of the sky and after 30 mins still searching.

If i ran the nokia maps app, i would get GPS fix in few minutes.

My skype location is set to city level, so pure AGPS would alway be enough for this, could it be that GPS is not used to save battery power???

sondjata 2013-08-08 20:39

Is that supl.vodafone.com?
I just put that in my 9000 and still not working.

Temporal 2013-08-08 21:02

If my experience is of any value, I have just traveled around 600km(300+300) and the GPS, though slow(it was always slow, takes 20 secs+- to lock) always locked and I was able to track, and see the speed and etc. Unfortunately I have only used supl.google one, (and just to be sure, I changed batteries several times while traveling, so yes, I did reboot).

But, as I'm in Brazil, my experience might be useless.

Ulle 2013-08-08 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1365655)
Next guess I have is the certificates are not read from cert store, but that Nokia has hard-coded them in the closed binary blob. That would mean we will never get a solution (or someone will disassemble and put new certs or make it read from cert store). Again, just a guess...

Why did it used to work since at least may of 2013 then? I may be wrong stating that it was indeed working, I didn't test for the A of AGPS functionality ...

The reason why I came to this thread was, that I noticed in June that Skype location status wasn't working any more . The satelite icon next to the green Skype status icon was blinking constantly. But when starting Nokia maps app, after some minutes I got a fix and the Skype location was shown and kept updated as long Nokia maps was running. Without Nokia maps the dish icon started blinking again after some minutes. I used supl.google.com since 2011 .

But since I switched to supl.vodafone.com , Skype location status is working again as I was used to (without having to start Nokia maps). So my problem is solved somehow ...

But I got curious about the A for GPS and checked location-test-gui, together with syslogs. I wonder what would be spit out by the logs if AGPS *is working*. I get a lot of satelites in view, but never in use.
Can someone outline a scenario, how to use location-test-gui without any misleading side effects like cached data and so on? Like
- set supl.xxx.com in settings
- shut down
- travel some kilometers (?)
- start up N900
- start location-test-gui, choose AGNSS
- wait 1 (?) min
- If you see your right position then, AGPS is working (?)...
- What shows location-test-gui if it fails (?) ...
- What do the log files look like when OK or failure (?)

I mean some easy steps to do, to get comparable results. Instead of just "I got a fix in my country xyz" or "No it doesnt work here" ...

Thank you.

Side note: Skype location status on N900 might be a questionable feature nowadays, but still the only mobile Skype implementation with that functionality ... thats why I love it.

eccerr0r 2013-08-09 00:04

For those of you who are posting success, please indicate country and your carrier (or ISP if you're using wifi). Reports seem to contradict with each other including my success with lbs.geo.t-mobile.com on T-Mobile USA and others' experiences... This is most troubling in my opinion. This is because if I switch on wifi, AGPS fails. Go back to 3G, it works, like a light switch. (Then again it's super annoying to have to switch networks if I happen to be using wifi at the time.)

Estel 2013-08-09 04:45

Please, stop posting useless and miss-leading "success stories". No one cares if it took 10, 20, or 324574375463 seconds for you to get fix - the one and only *meaningful* of testing AGPS is as per this post, earlier in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=31

Otherwise, it's just a guesswork. Meanwhile, testing it *properly* isn't hard, at all.

/Estel

nieldk 2013-08-09 13:23

What's the expected outcome from that tool?
Seems like all four tests are responding with a position. Allthough not precise location on my device.
Carrier Telia Denmark
WiFi tried with on/off

Ulle 2013-08-09 15:50

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1365939)
the one and only *meaningful* of testing AGPS is as per this post, earlier in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=31

So I tried again location-test-gui tool, right after reboot. Test method AGNSS with supl.vodafone.com
I got 4 satellites within about 20 secs standing next to a window.

http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1376061861

Then, after another restart of N900, I tried AGNSS again. Same effect . got 4 satellites after some seconds.

http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1376061861

Both locations about 150m away from my real position. But guess what: Before reboot for second test I changed location server to supl.nokia.com (which is known not to work).

So obviously if you got a fix before, just a reboot is not enough for helpful results with location-test-gui and proving if AGPS is reliably working.

handaxe 2013-08-09 17:13

Folks, I believe to test agps you need to use the method acwp after a reboot. That takes the gps receiver out of the equation and relies on the supl server to derive cell based location.

Now, there are many flavours of agps (refer wikipedia) but I believe my n900 was getting cell location while the gps and the supl. server were doing things to get an accurate fix. That cell location has definitely disapeared for me.

Doing a cell loc. first also makes sense as cellphone gps do not store sat. almanacs as do handhelds. Providing that is the job of the supl server and to do that it needs to know broadly where you are. That info saves the need for a sky search for sats and is one of the speedups made by agps

One can also test without location-test-gui by disabling the gps under settings - location but keeping network location enabled. Again a reboot is needed to flush the cache.
Phew - long, sorry.

peterleinchen 2013-08-09 22:29

So many posts, so many knowledge.
But all "half-knowledge"!

I have to admit I do not know exactly the working of location-test-gui, so I did not post. But for sure is it has different methods and we need the last one. AGNSS (AGPS).
This will give the receiver the desired satellite info like position of current location where are those satellites and their sky posititon (almanach, who says this is not stored on cell phone?).
We may also use the ACWP method, but this will give only ground location based on cell tower info (and/or SIM info, MCC).

For real testing you will need to reset the receiver cache by rebooting. No other chance to reset the GPS chip (afaik).
BUT, this is not enough. Before rebooting you need to reset the stored (not cached) last known position and timestamp.
Code:

gconftool --recursive-unset /system/nokia/location
This is the crudest way, but you will also see the GPS usage disclaimer again?

Happy testing...
And let us know that it will work for you! :rolleyes:

For me none of nokia/google/vodafone worked.

P.S.: you may start to try with AGNSS.
I stop after 30/60 sec, that is definitely enough time for AGPS.

If you wanna try the cell tower/provider solution (ACWP), you may see that this method will just fetch the SIM/provider country code and position you in the middle of your currently located country (try it with DISabled SIM and you will see!). If it would fetch supl data it would locate you approximately 150m-1500m off your real position.

Again, happy testing...

DfLo1913 2013-08-10 04:21

Hey guys which location-test deb file should I install? Thanks

nieldk 2013-08-10 06:44

supl.google.com works for me
those with issues, try
test.supl.svc.ovi.com port 7276

pichlo 2013-08-10 07:15

How do I set the port?

nieldk 2013-08-10 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1366175)
How do I set the port?

you shouldt need to, its the same port as other supl providers.
Sorry, should propaly not even have mentioned port ;)

peterleinchen 2013-08-10 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1366174)
supl.google.com works for me

Yeah sure. And the tower of Pisa belongs to Mona Lisa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1366174)
those with issues, try
test.supl.svc.ovi.com port 7276

Where did you get that information from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1366177)
you shouldt need to, its the same port as other supl providers.
Sorry, should propaly not even have mentioned port ;)

And the "half-knowledge" goes on ...

Standard port(s) for supl is/are 7275/7276. And they may go up to 7278.
But on N900 it is pre-configured to 7275.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1366175)
How do I set the port?

Code:

gconftool -s /system/nokia/location/supl/port -t int 7276

nieldk 2013-08-10 08:28

@peterleinchen
Why do you need to be rude?
Perhaps the *half knowledge* is just that half that is missing.
And, I dont give a rats *** if you believe google is working for me or not. fYI.
the test.supl.ovi.com info.is from.the knowledge I have from the PEAK FirefoxOS phone.

peterleinchen 2013-08-10 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1366182)
@peterleinchen
Why do you need to be rude?

THAT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1366178)
Yeah sure. And the tower of Pisa belongs to Mona Lisa.

was rude?
Then you really wont like to meet me in real life! ;)
Sorry, if you felt offended.

Quote:

Perhaps the *half knowledge* is just that half that is missing.
And, I dont give a rats *** if you believe google is working for me or not. fYI.

Yeah, that IS rude.
And believe me, I do know that it is not working. As you (besides nokiabot) would be our super heroes.
Please, test once again with above described procedure. And tell us again...

Quote:

the test.supl.svc.ovi.com info.is from.the knowledge I have from the PEAK FirefoxOS phone.

Thanks for that info.
And I tested it and also that supl does not work on N900.
From that PEAK Firefox OS phone otoh your experience may be that supl.google.com is working. As well as for all android phones. And maybe other devices.

But we are talking about supl/AGPS on N900.

peterleinchen 2013-08-10 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DfLo1913 (Post 1366166)
Hey guys which location-test deb file should I install? Thanks

Code:

~ $ apt-cache showpkg location-test-gui
Package: location-test-gui
Versions:
0.93-1+0m5 (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_fremantle_tools_non-free_binary-armel_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
 Description Language:
                File: /var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_fremantle_tools_non-free_binary-armel_Packages
                  MD5: 06ca30f437d8fde1cc09907d75cdf5e8

This is located in the tools repo of fremantle. So first add this to your catalogues (and disable after installation).

nokiabot 2013-08-10 11:35

forgive me :( i dont know much but it is working for me as i get a fix in 15 seconds and if i turn of agps it takes 15 to 20 minuts to get a fix:) i flashed and checked also:D

nieldk 2013-08-10 11:42

Ok,
just did the gconftool reset, poweroff, poweron (had to set supl.google.com.again after poweron).
the disclaimer came up.
set to test AGNSS with locationtest-gui. (latest version from previous linked ones)
Got a fix in ~20 seconds, inside.
just for a note, iam on
2.6.28.10power46-w11 kernel
carrier is Telia
location Denmark

nieldk 2013-08-10 11:45

and yes, It is an n900 ;)
the supl from peak, was just another source for ppl to try.
both nokia servers are not working here, but, googles does work

nieldk 2013-08-10 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1366211)
forgive me :( i dont know much but it is working for me as i get a fix in 15 seconds and if i turn of agps it takes 15 to 20 minuts to get a fix:) i flashed and checked also:D

:) so we are official SuperHeroes

petur 2013-08-11 18:57

Can somebody confirm that ACWP relies on the supl server? Because if it does, I can confirm that supl.vodafone.com works: reliable ACWP positioning (error +/- 300m). Also quite fast GPS fix, though I know this isn't proof ;)

saponga 2013-08-14 20:51

Bump... Any workaround on this ?

king Ralphred 2013-08-14 21:13

Just found this thread. GPS has taken 5 mins to lock on, or so long I got bored.Tried changing from nokia to google. It locked on straight away or near as damn it. 3Ireland, 2g, GPSjinni, n900.

Thanks.

I'm not a superhero though.

Just tried it again after this post. It's hard to work out but it's seconds.

handaxe 2013-08-15 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by king Ralphred (Post 1367309)
Tried changing from nokia to google. It locked on straight away or near as damn it. 3Ireland, 2g, GPSjinni, n900.

If you read in.this thread about position caching you might forgive my doubts about your report.

nokiabot 2013-08-15 18:37

my gps still locked in seconds using google !

handaxe 2013-08-15 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by petur (Post 1366474)
Can somebody confirm that ACWP relies on the supl server? Because if it does, I can confirm that supl.vodafone.com works: reliable ACWP positioning (error +/- 300m). Also quite fast GPS fix, though I know this isn't proof ;)

Yes, ACWP uses the supl server or it should. Yours is an interesting and surprising result provided that it followed a reboot. I get nothing usable (no reset just following a reboot) - generic country or nothing at all - and that is why I suggested ACWP over AGNSS as a test as it relies on a position server alone.
Any obvious reason re ISP (wifi/gprs?) as to why Vodafone might allow you to use the service?

handaxe 2013-08-15 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1367495)
my gps still locked in seconds using google !

Using ACWP method following a reboot?

petur 2013-08-16 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by handaxe (Post 1367531)
Yes, ACWP uses the supl server or it should. Yours is an interesting and surprising result provided that it followed a reboot. I get nothing usable (no reset just following a reboot) - generic country or nothing at all - and that is why I suggested ACWP over AGNSS as a test as it relies on a position server alone.
Any obvious reason re ISP (wifi/gprs?) as to why Vodafone might allow you to use the service?

No reboot done, but I use ZapLoc in non-GPS mode with my own Latitude replacement hack, and it updates location nicely. So it works.

supl.vodafone.com gives me another location than google used to, also more stable and always the same place when I'm stationary (home, work, ...)

I should switch back to google to see if it works too.

My ISP is MobileVikings, which uses Base as network, which is family of KPN, not related to Vodafone AFAIK.

EDIT: switched to supl.google.com + reboot -> got only center of country as location. Switched back to supl.vodafone.com and location is back close to where I am (<400m)

handaxe 2013-08-17 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by petur (Post 1367652)
My ISP is MobileVikings, which uses Base as network, which is family of KPN, not related to Vodafone AFAIK.

EDIT: switched to supl.google.com + reboot -> got only center of country as location. Switched back to supl.vodafone.com and location is back close to where I am (<400m)

Excellent, I am convinced. But why vodafone works for you and not some/many others is a mystery. Some agreement between providers? If you can try with another ISP over wifi. I want you to fail
:p

petur 2013-08-17 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by handaxe (Post 1367834)
If you can try with another ISP over wifi. I want you to fail
:p

Why didn't I think of that... I'll switch to wifi and check things out :)

petur 2013-08-17 22:36

1 Attachment(s)
supl.vodafone.com also worked via wifi, ISP = telenet.be

Learned some things, though: clearing the location stored in system.nokia.location does not clear the caching, only a reboot helped.

To test, I've hacked one of the old update scripts to only use ACWP and only print results, not try to update latitude or whatever... - script attached.

so, in short:
supl.google.com + wifi or 2G: mode 1 location, center of country
supl.vodafone.com + wifi or 2G: mode 2 location, accuracy 188m