maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Epic Android Thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61003)

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-29 18:29

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab Teaser Video

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 801618)
When these things get so big (I want one!) I always think the phone component itself should be detachable for holding to your ear.

There's always the possibility of getting a bluetooth headset or a bluetooth handset for the device. However it's not exactly built in.

tso 2010-08-29 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 801624)
There's always the possibility of getting a bluetooth headset or a bluetooth handset for the device. However it's not exactly built in.

I think LG makes (or made) a phone that had a slot for a bluetooth earpiece.

etuoyo 2010-08-29 19:16

Some leaked accessories.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/29/s...-and-other-si/

tso 2010-08-29 20:56

the docks and keyboard looks interesting, but the case looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen as i think apple have a patent application on their ipad case.

and looking at the usb and tv out cables seems to confirm that its a PDMI port. Or at least the same physical port (tho i wonder how they do the analog bit unless there is a chip hiding in the cable somewhere).

And is suspect the docks do displayport to hdmi conversion, as there is not enough displayport lanes in a PDMI connector to support DP++ mode.

etuoyo 2010-08-29 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 801725)
the docks and keyboard looks interesting, but the case looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen as i think apple have a patent application on their ipad case.

and looking at the usb and tv out cables seems to confirm that its a PDMI port. Or at least the same physical port (tho i wonder how they do the analog bit unless there is a chip hiding in the cable somewhere).

And is suspect the docks do displayport to hdmi conversion, as there is not enough displayport lanes in a PDMI connector to support DP++ mode.

How on earth could there be a patent on a case? There were already cases for devices that are similar look to these way before ipad. I would understand if the patent was against a case that was the exact same dimensions as ipad but this is 7 inches only and is a more wide screen ratio. Surely it cannot be that no one else is allowed to have a case for an internet tablet.

tso 2010-08-29 23:26

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...fice.html#more

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-29 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 801815)

A lawsuit over a case, though? I doubt that the royalties garnered, or having the item pulled from shelves would justify the huge legal fees. Then again, I know nothing of the law. :)

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-30 15:57

The Galaxy Tab is now on my must purchase list.

It has a writing device! WOW!
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....30buigqwre.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/s...=Google+Reader

It now has a bluetooth 'stylus' accessory for writing on the surface. Why does this rock?

1) Whiteboard apps for collaborative drawing
2) Document Annotation
3) Note jotting
4) Drawing/sketching applications
5) Increased accuracy pointer
6) Bluetooth may imply that it's not a capacitive input (so you can rest your palm on the screen while you write). Even if it is capacitive, hopefully you can rest your palm on the screen.
7) Animated note-boarding (eg. khan institute)
8) Turn the Tab into a digitizer for computers/notebook!

This makes the device EXTREMELY useful for content creation, for students and business people alike.

And it looks like the thing can make calls! I'm 100% sold.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-30 16:43

I should note that while my N810 has had stylus input for a long time, I'm not a big fan of resistive stylii. I suppose my main complaint with a resistive stylus is that you have to (or I have to anyway) hover above the screen as to avoid any unwanted input. This makes it very awkward for me to write on, and nearly impossible for long writing sessions.

I'm confident that this stylus will avoid that awkwardness, either through multi-touch algorithms or some pen/tablet interaction (it is bluetooth afterall).

I'm incredibly excited!

tso 2010-08-30 17:44

The galaxy tab will use a capacitive screen, iirc. I would guess that its implemented in such a way that it uses bluetooth to tell the tablet when it's in contact with the screen (it's detecting the capacitive field) and so the tablet can reject all other inputs (like palms).

The benefit of a stylus is twofold. First it's gloves on scenarios. Second, it allows the selection of smaller elements without the need to first zoom in on a specific area.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-30 18:33

Sounds good. I'm very interested in their implementation. In fact, if the tip is capacitive and is, for example, modulating a capacitive pattern, it would be easy to differentiate between a palm and the tip of the pen. I suspect bluetooth would allow the pen to transmit other useful information including tilt and pressure (as you surmised). I hope the response is good, input-lag would ruin the experience!

The benefit of a stylus goes beyond gloves on and small-item selection; though these are certainly benefits. The pen is a very dexterous tool for input that is difficult with other mechanism ie. finger or mouse. Writing or drawing is simply not the same without the pen, and nothing quite replaces those two tasks.

I still frequently use a pen and paper in this great age of digitization, and finally, it seems that there is an affordable device that can actually *replace* them! While it's not the first device to do this, it's certainly poised to being the first device to do this well, and inexpensively. So in this way, it is a first, and exactly what I've been wanting for a long, long time.

Perhaps the pen can be hacked to work on different devices! Here's hoping that this is the beginning of a trend.

I would be in heaven if there was an x server ported to Android, or an app that rendered output from x programs (like a wrapper of sorts -- it could even handle multi-window, larger-than-screen apps with a slick zoom in/out interface). There are a few non-CLI apps I would enjoy using on this system!

DistantFire 2010-08-30 19:08

Here's hoping someone else comes out with a tablet to compete with this so the price stays low. With all the accessories already being announced for it, this is looking a LOT like the tablet of choice for anyone (read: me) looking for a follow-on to the N810 (even if it IS Android).

tso 2010-08-30 19:29

It dawns on me that stylus support makes more sense for a asian company then one from US or Europe.

And yes, samsung really seems to go all in on this.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-30 20:13

Here's a link to the Engadget show. Normally, I would not post a link to this show, but it has a relevant interview with Omar Khan, CSO of Samsung and he talks about the Tab:

Interesting notes:
- Claims to be their most researched product
- Device is confirmed to works in landscape and portrait
- Has elements of Touchwiz. Brings parts of Galaxy S to the tablet
- He briefly shows the size as the device is wrapped in something.

It's actually a fun (IMO) interview, Omar is charming guy!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/t...d-teases-gala/

They also show a Tegra 2 tablet that looks quite nice! Very fast, 3G, good selection of ports and all for $299. I'd be very interested if I weren't sold on the Tab!

Enjoy.

etuoyo 2010-08-30 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 802593)
Here's a link to the Engadget show. Normally, I would not post a link to this show, but it has a relevant interview with Omar Khan, CSO of Samsung and he talks about the Tab:

Interesting notes:
- Claims to be their most researched product
- Device is confirmed to works in landscape and portrait
- Has elements of Touchwiz. Brings parts of Galaxy S to the tablet
- He briefly shows the size as the device is wrapped in something.

It's actually a fun (IMO) interview, Omar is charming guy!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/t...d-teases-gala/

Enjoy.

He is such a tease though. Did not give anything away. And how crazy is that bringing the device but wrapping it up so you can't see.

Anyway we have only three more days to go for the official reveal.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-30 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 802598)
He is such a tease though. Did not give anything away. And how crazy is that bringing the device but wrapping it up so you can't see.

Haha.. Yeah.. That was a little crazy, but I suppose it will only be 3 more days before we know everything!

EDIT: I didn't read your last line.. Sorry about the copied sentiment!

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-30 20:51

Ugg...I was planning on setting up an elaborate HTTP tunnel to get unlimited data for $10/month for this tablet, but I think I'm going to go with Roger's pay-per-use data for $2/day (up to 20MiB) or $7/wk
(up to 125MiB). It's more expensive, but I suspect it will be cheaper for me in the long run as I'll use it only when needed, which will be rare. Thankfully, this can be coupled with a Pay as you go plan.

For canadians:
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ad...ternetandemail

I've been tracking my usage with my N810, and I'll easily be able to stay within 125MiB. If I were downloading video or files, it would be another story, but I'll mainly be surfing and emailing. Even with SIP (GSM codec) this equates to 4-5 hours of talk time.

It doesn't get much cheaper than this, and I love deals!

danramos 2010-08-30 21:44

I strongly suspect that I will be buying one of these to augment my geek habit and my strict-tablet needs and work nicely with my Droid via wifi/bluetooth tether. :D

I'd also wonder if this might not make a FAR better nav screen for my van's console whereas my Droid was pretty comfortable as my nav screen in my much teenier Honda Del Sol. I would LOVE to have a massive screen so that I don't have to have ANY effort to see the map/nav when I glance to the right for a second.

I was already really considering the Dell Streak but these accessories and Samsung's gung-ho tablet (and general Android and relative open-source friendliness) attitude is certainly attractive.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-31 01:14

In-car is a great use case that I hadn't considered. This would be a wonderful nav device or in-car nav device. In addition, if you're a passenger, this makes a device to casually use. I bet Layar is awesome on this thing... good enough for Samsung to advertise it anyway!

I've heard great things about swype, and based on what I've seen, it is a very fast method of text entry. I wonder if I can get used to swyping as fast as I type (which is moderately fast). On a larger screen it must be even faster, and useful for document editing/content creation.

I. Can't. Wait.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-31 12:34

Oh my! I just thought of the possibility of having something like liqbase on the 7" Galaxy Tab! And enless 'pad' for jotting notes. Even if it were basic and had methods of sorting and tags for catagorizing, this would be HUGE.

How about collecting signatures to prove/approve transactions?

The bluetooth 'stylus' is a game-changer.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-31 14:00

My head spins with excitement at the thought of this tablet.

Based on my needs and uses, I can actually see this thing replacing my laptop when I'm away from my desk! If I can indeed install Debian, for a complete CLI and for background servers (ie. mysql, apache, etc), then with a Bluetooth keyboard, I can safely leave my lappy at home, and drop this in a much smaller bag with a BT stylus, BT keyboard (or the keyboard dock!!), and a spare battery. This will be able to take care of 95% of the tasks that I do, comfortably on the road.

It would be nice to have an X server (in app form would be nice), as there are a handful of apps that I would *love* to carry along with me (namely art tasks). Sure it would be awkward to work on a 7" screen for long periods, but usually, I just need to do something quickly, and don't want to lug around my laptop to boot it up on the off-chance that I do.

EDIT: After some thought, I'm really liking the keyboard accessory. It promises to holds the device in portrait, which would be great for emails, document editing, or SSHing on the go. I like the fact that it's mounted, making the two act as a connected unit, and more stable than having a separate fold-able keyboard. Also, the wide connector implies that setup will be a quick and painless procedure.

etuoyo 2010-08-31 14:11

Rumoured to only have 6 hours battery life. If that is the case that would be very disappointing. Was hoping it would match the ipads 10 hrs. Guess that it is because it is much smaller so can only fit a much smaller battery but still very disappointing. Changes this from a definite buy for me to a maybe.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-31 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 803223)
Rumoured to only have 6 hours battery life. If that is the case that would be very disappointing. Was hoping it would match the ipads 10 hrs. Guess that it is because it is much smaller so can only fit a much smaller battery but still very disappointing. Changes this from a definite buy for me to a maybe.

Yeah, 6 hours seems a bit short but having owned the N810 for a long time, I find that 6 hours is plenty (I never even get close to running it down). I never find myself on my tablet for 6 consecutive hours and it puts itself to sleep promptly. Perhaps that's just me, but this has never been a concern.

But I agree, more is better.

Hopefully there's a spare battery option, or bundled charging cradle for quick and easy charging when resting the device down.

etuoyo 2010-08-31 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 803249)
Yeah, 6 hours seems a bit short but having owned the N810 for a long time, I find that 6 hours is plenty (I never even get close to running it down). I never find myself on my tablet for 6 consecutive hours and it puts itself to sleep promptly. Perhaps that's just me, but this has never been a concern.

But I agree, more is better.

Hopefully there's a spare battery option, or bundled charging cradle for quick and easy charging when resting the device down.

If 6 hours means six hours of actual use then I guess that is not too bad. Not many are likely to use it more than 6 hours a day very often. However, I hope it actually does 6 hours of use rather than something like 3 hours actual use.

etuoyo 2010-08-31 15:37

Looks like there is going to be tons of android tablets like there are tons of android phones. Where art thou yee meego tablets.

New 10.1 inch, 1080p tab announced. Never heard of the manufacturers though.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/h...-inch-multito/

Also a 7 inch viewsonic tablet but its specs are pretty rubbish. Does seem to have a full phone function so if you are crazy you could use it as a phone and get rid of your N900 or Dell Streak.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/v...l-phone-funct/

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-31 18:26

I bet it's 6 hours actual usage. Apparently the Galaxy S has great battery life (around the same) and can carry individuals through a day with heavy usage. With a bluetooth headset that you can answer calls with, the tablet can function just like a phone, though holding it to your head would be a bit much.

Indeed there are many tablets coming! There will be a 10" Tab from Samsung as well. These tablets look really good. Some of them are running Tegra, which is very tempting as well!

I'm looking forward to seeing the UX upgrade in store for Android3. Since they captured that palm designer guy, Android is in store for quite a UI upgrade in subsequent devices, and I'm sure it will have among the best UI, as well as be more suited for tablet devices!

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-31 19:50

Here's something interesting. Archos is releasing a slew of tablets, and Engdaget has a video:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/a...ablets-we-go-h

What's most interesting about this is the 10inch tablet running Android2.2. The resolution is 1024x600, but notice how the showcased apps are not simply 'scaled-up' versions of the supposed 854x580 limit. They flow very comfortably into the new resolution for added screen real-estate. Even the dialog appears to have adjusted to the new screen.

This gives hope that android apps will be quickly adaptable to the tablet form factor, and that existing apps will continue to work well. I suspect that developers will quickly update their apps to take advantage of the slew of coming tablets, giving Android quite a large library of apps shortly after these devices begin to appear.

Also, another point of interest is the price of the 10" is only $299!! The 7" is selling for $279. Those are very nice prices, and I'm curious how this computer performs!

tso 2010-08-31 20:49

That 10" is nice, especially as it supposedly have multitouch and a two angle stand. The combo is important as it allows a low angle much like the apple case for the ipad. This then allows the OSK to be used more like a normal keyboard.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-01 02:02

How easy is it to type on the iPad's on-screen keyboard?

danramos 2010-09-01 09:01

I've been seeing this 1024x600 resolution profile bandied about all over the place in various rumors. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't going to be a new minimum standard Android profile for large tablet devices (i.e. anything over 5-inches like the Streak)?

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-01 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 803995)
I've been seeing this 1024x600 resolution profile bandied about all over the place in various rumors. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't going to be a new minimum standard Android profile for large tablet devices (i.e. anything over 5-inches like the Streak)?

I wouldn't be surprised if 1024x600 was the standard. Since netbooks have used this resolution for some time, I suspect that there's quite a supply of panels at this resolution, which if true, means that the costs should be quite low. Also 1024x600 is quite perfect for smaller displays.

Having used a 1024x600 screen primarily on my netbook (before I got my latest lappie), I can vouch that it is a very comfortable resolution to work in. With linux apps that have thin borders and menu (eg. chromuim or xterm) you never feel that you need more. However some apps (eg. openoffice) try to make an icon for every function and makes usable document space a premium! For andriod apps, this will not be a problem, however, which is nice.

The 1024x600 resolution is why I would really love to see an X server (or app-like wrapper) on the system. At this resolution these tablets could run unadulterated popular x apps right in the Android eco-system (eg. Gimp). Thankfully, I'm not the only one talking about this. Since ubuntu was made to work on the Nexus One, people have been trying to compile the X server in Android. I suppose it's only a matter of time before thay succeed.

tso 2010-09-01 10:56

There was a hack made for the G1 to run X11, but i am unsure if it was generic enough for other android devices.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-01 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 804080)
There was a hack made for the G1 to run X11, but i am unsure if it was generic enough for other android devices.

Yes indeed! I believe this is the same hack that uses a Debian environment and VNC to draw the display. While it works (well, I assume), I'm sure it's a little slow for some tasks, and not terribly battery friendly (though I could be wrong about this -- however it seems like a lot of overhead for rendering).

http://hackaday.com/2009/02/22/x11-on-android/

I wonder if it would be possible to forego the display drivers, and write an app that emulates X written using the Android stack? The benefit of this setup being that it can be rolled out to any device without custom drivers being required. Perhaps a single generic 'android display driver' that hooks directly into the X emulator for low latency display...

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-01 12:46

The driver idea isn't sounding so far-fetched. As it turns out, not all drivers talk to video hardware:
http://www.x.org/wiki/vmware

So it's possible to create drivers that put up information (shared memory?) and receive input from a standard Android application. The benefits to this setup are:

1) No unique display drivers need be written so it can be distributed to any working android system in APK form
2) Very easy access to apps directly within Android -- can be launched with a launcher icon like any other app for seamless integration. Switch between apps as one normally would.
3) Can easily take advantage of advanced features of Android (eg. multi-touch) and feed them into x.org as these features become available. For example a large 1920x1080 display that can be navigated via two-finger scrolling, or simply two-finger swipe between apps/desktops.
4) Benefit from the (large) x.org codebase for quick deployment without needing to create from scratch nor reverse engineer the system.

The end result is a full Debian environment including X, running seamlessly in Android. Apps launch as any other app does (though will need to be explicitly closed), and at native speeds.

For many it will be a novelty. However, there are certain well-developed desktop apps that would be welcome additions to these capable devices. I personally would like a graphical sftp file-manager, a drawing program (eg. gimp & inkscape), and the full-featured (though painfully bloated) openoffice.org .

EDIT:
Another benefit of a setup like this is having access to the MeeGo/N900 repository of apps! There's nothing wrong with a little cross-platform, eh?

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-01 17:57

One more day... Anyone else excited? :D

If I had one wish for this tablet (or Android in general) it would be that scrolling and other features were GPU accelerated. The Android launcher, Launcher Pro, is GPU accelerated and is ultra-smooth, and I feel it has a major bearing on the user-experience. Of course iPad and iOS have had this for years, and its arguably a very compelling feature.

Of course the UI styling is far from perfect; it seems to lack cohesion and balance. Hopefully the acquisition of Matias Duarte (the Palm OS design guru) pays off for v3.

debernardis 2010-09-01 18:08

I am quite interested too, and might buy this samsung thingy. This might be the right device for my wife & daughter, provided that a meego tablet won't be available for quite a bit.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-01 20:07

Indeed.

I think Samsung generally 'gets it'.

Here's a video of a woman who recently got a Galaxy S.
Warning: this video is not deep or enriching, so don't get annoyed if you watch it and realized that you wasted precious moments of your life:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61003&page=8

What interests me is that the Galaxy S smartphone seems well suited, and comfortable to use to non-technical folk. What's even MORE interesting is that she mentions that she didn't like the fact that facetime was available only for iPhone users, and that she felt locked-in to Apple products. She recognized the Android eco-system as being more open (using adjectives like unlimited to describe the experience).

Now, this is no news to the people that frequent the forum (in fact, many would argue that Android isn't open enough!), however, the want for openness is leaking into the public's awareness, and that is very interesting (to me, anyway).

Galaxy S may be the most successful consumer linux device to date, and it does so in a way that's transparent to the end user; providing a simple yet fun experience that rivals other closed solutions. I suspect the Tab will have the same type of 'mass' appeal, and satisfying user experience.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-09-01 21:58

Here's something interesting. A GPU-accelerated API for Android apps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg04w...eature=related

It's called Tiffany, and is designed for 3rd party app developers. I hope too see apps that leverage this technology -- and similar technologies -- to improve user experience!

I suppose the downside is apps that look and act differently, but it's not as if all apps look the same currently!

danramos 2010-09-02 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 804657)
Here's something interesting. A GPU-accelerated API for Android apps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg04w...eature=related

It's called Tiffany, and is designed for 3rd party app developers. I hope too see apps that leverage this technology -- and similar technologies -- to improve user experience!

I suppose the downside is apps that look and act differently, but it's not as if all apps look the same currently!

Well, that, and maybe the whole point is NOT to look the same all the time. What's wrong with flexibility? :) At least there's an open market where I can choose my experience, for better or for worse.

etuoyo 2010-09-02 10:16

Engadget preview is up. Have not read it so do not know if they like it or not.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/s...y-tab-preview/