maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   BT Audio problems (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82899)

PhatApteryx 2012-08-24 22:46

Re: BT Audio problems

Nice, will try that thanks! (Looks like a candidate for a toggle app if you are lazy & a poor typist like me)

justadude 2012-08-25 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1255204)
This is possible with ProfileMatic. You can use WiFi condition, then in Custom Action the gconf command to disable/enable WiFi scanning.

Bluetooth conditions will come later, maybe next version.

Anyway to make a special toggle that does all the magic while streaming music over bluetooth? When activted it will ask what connection to stick with, before said changes are made? :)

ajalkane 2012-08-25 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1255473)
Anyway to make a special toggle that does all the magic while streaming music over bluetooth? When activted it will ask what connection to stick with, before said changes are made? :)

Sure, doing a toggle would be possible. I'm not sure I understand about asking what connection to stick with and what's the purpose of that, but I seem to remember opening the connection selection dialog is possible.

justadude 2012-08-27 01:17

My apologies if it didn't make any sense, but I meant asking what connection to stick with in terms of data (carrier connection or WIFI) I know its not really needed because one could easily do it manually, it was just something that might make things a little easier? Anyway, glad the toggle can be done. If you get anything to test hit me up and I'll gladly do it and send moeny your way thank you so much for the response :)

ajalkane 2012-09-01 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1256066)
My apologies if it didn't make any sense, but I meant asking what connection to stick with in terms of data (carrier connection or WIFI) I know its not really needed because one could easily do it manually, it was just something that might make things a little easier? Anyway, glad the toggle can be done. If you get anything to test hit me up and I'll gladly do it and send moeny your way thank you so much for the response :)

I didn't actually expect to do this toggle myself. But I can do it with community's help on the following conditions:

1) Someone gives me two icons: one for when WiFi scanning is normal (active). One to indicate that it's off. I suck creating icons and don't enjoy that at all. I prefer SVG icons as I can create different sizes then easily. But otherwise at least 64x64 and 80x80 sizes are needed. Preferably also 256x256, but not mandatory.
2) The application I create will be open source under GPL license
3) I will provide the application freely to the community to download from here (if you like it and it works you can donate if you like it, which I appreciate)
4) If I publish it to Nokia Store I will charge the hell out of it to get some beer money lost in coding and testing it

If that's okay and someone does the icons I'll go ahead. TMO users will of course be the poor test subjects whether it works or not :).

Sniper_swe 2012-09-01 20:44

Would really appreciate a toggle:)
Sadly I can't make the icons. :(

flopjoke 2012-09-01 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1259368)
I didn't actually expect to do this toggle myself. But I can do it with community's help on the following conditions:

1) Someone gives me two icons: one for when WiFi scanning is normal (active). One to indicate that it's off. I suck creating icons and don't enjoy that at all. I prefer SVG icons as I can create different sizes then easily. But otherwise at least 64x64 and 80x80 sizes are needed. Preferably also 256x256, but not mandatory.
2) The application I create will be open source under GPL license
3) I will provide the application freely to the community to download from here (if you like it and it works you can donate if you like it, which I appreciate)
4) If I publish it to Nokia Store I will charge the hell out of it to get some beer money lost in coding and testing it

If that's okay and someone does the icons I'll go ahead. TMO users will of course be the poor test subjects whether it works or not :).

I can make the icons.. but is this "toggle" going to be like a clickable app in the homescreen or something?

ajalkane 2012-09-02 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopjoke (Post 1259402)
I can make the icons.. but is this "toggle" going to be like a clickable app in the homescreen or something?

That's what I understand people would like to have.

So there would be one icon for each state so that it's easy to see when scanning is off.

Sniper_swe 2012-09-02 07:55

That is how I want it:)

Later maybe a toggle in unrestricted-ui

flopjoke 2012-09-02 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1259541)
That's what I understand people would like to have.

So there would be one icon for each state so that it's easy to see when scanning is off.

Ah alright.. I got it. Here you go:

256 x 256 when scanning is on:

http://flickcabin.com/files/2020_fcdty/wscan_on.png

and 256 x 256 when scanning is off:

http://flickcabin.com/files/2021_5xzr0/wscan_off.png

If it's fine, I'll make the other sizes too

ajalkane 2012-09-02 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopjoke (Post 1259629)
Ah alright.. I got it. Here you go:

256 x 256 when scanning is on:

http://flickcabin.com/files/2020_fcdty/wscan_on.png

and 256 x 256 when scanning is off:

http://flickcabin.com/files/2021_5xzr0/wscan_off.png

If it's fine, I'll make the other sizes too

Thank you, looks excellent to me. Great work.

flopjoke 2012-09-02 13:20

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1259649)

You're welcome. I've attached a zip file with all the other sizes just in case.. including the PSD file (if you need it in the future).

Good luck!

jonnyl 2012-09-02 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1259649)

Maybe I should post this in Profimatic thread, but this is something we could trigger via that app, correct?

ajalkane 2012-09-03 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyl (Post 1259895)
Maybe I should post this in Profimatic thread, but this is something we could trigger via that app, correct?

Well yes, but I don't know if it would provide anything over just directly using the gconf manipulation commands already posted.

ajalkane 2012-09-03 04:52

EDIT: see announcement thread for current version

justadude 2012-09-04 05:35

Is it really necessary to disable the Wifi connection for BT to work properly? Can anyone give some input on this? It would be nice not to disable it unless absolutely necessary because I'm sure a lot of people would be using Wifi for things such as internet radio for streaming music without incurring a boatload of data charges. I was under the assumption from a multitude of responses that the wifi scanning/switching between carrier and wifi connection caused the temporary disruption? Maybe I'm wrong :confused:

ajalkane 2012-09-04 05:43

I have no idea. Test it with wlan connection on and only scanning disabled and report back.

PhatApteryx 2012-09-04 05:54

thanks for this! i will do some testing.

Sniper_swe 2012-09-04 07:04

thanks. Gonna try it today:)

justadude 2012-09-04 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1260655)
I have no idea. Test it with wlan connection on and only scanning disabled and report back.

Wicked. I will try it out and give you some data. I use it in the car and on my wireless music reciever at work so its pretty much being used all day. A dontation is in order for you sir. Where to donate? :)

justadude 2012-09-05 02:41

First day, no stutter whatsoever!! Love it in the car (was when it happened worst) and works flawlessly at work on the wireless music receiver even when connected to Wifi all day. The only time it seemed to do it in the past when connected to Wifi was when the router signal dropped and it had to keep switching from carrier to Wifi connection, and almost every few minutes in the car all the freaking time. Although one suggestion that should be implemented (I think I asked this before) is to have a little menu for settings such as disabling scanning upon bluetooth activation and reverse the process when bluetooth turned off. On a side note, It would not automatically connect back to AT&T once disconnected from Wifi (scanning off of course) and went back to normal once turned back on. It seems any internet connection whether carrier or Wifi would need to be manually selected with scanning disabled. No other tweaks on the phone besides running Oc'd @1300MHZ. Thanks for getting this whole process started! and where to donate? :D

flopjoke 2012-09-05 02:55

streamed today without stutter for the first time. I'm not sure if this is because of your app/toggle.. But it was the first time it didn't lag at all. So yeah, it must be you. Gonna test it some more in other vehicles

isfr21 2012-09-05 03:11

Not sure if this was mentioned but is this app DISABLING Wi-Fi or just disabling the scanning function and setting it to 0?

thedead1440 2012-09-05 04:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by isfr21 (Post 1261331)
Not sure if this was mentioned but is this app DISABLING Wi-Fi or just disabling the scanning function and setting it to 0?

AFAIK disabling the scanning function i.e. changing it to 0...

ajalkane 2012-09-05 07:49

I have updated the original posting with version 1.0.0 which has the icon changing working:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=55

I will do a proper release/announcement once I've tidied things a bit and published the sources somewhere.

Thank you all for testing and reporting, nice to know that it has helped with the issue.

If you'd like to donate, thank you much, you can donate through here (PayPal preferred):

http://www.kolumbus.fi/~ks2877/profilematic/donate.html

Just mention in the donation comment it's for ToggleWifiScan.

Quote:

Although one suggestion that should be implemented (I think I asked this before) is to have a little menu for settings such as disabling scanning upon bluetooth activation and reverse the process when bluetooth turned off.
This would require a background daemon, so I think it's better to do this via ProfileMatic.

Quote:

Only disables WiFi scanning.

ajalkane 2012-09-05 19:51

Finalized version and sources available in announcement post:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1261724

No functional changes, just some installation/deinstallation proofing.

Sniper_swe 2012-09-05 20:09

Tried this toggle for like 5 hours today streaming to nokia play 360 speaker and I did not have any stutters. Even if i browsed web or running heavy tasks.

The word is amazing:)
Will donate!

justadude 2012-09-06 02:16

Ajalkane,

Is the bluetooth feature already implemented in Profilematic? or will it have to be? If it isn't when do you think it will be? Can it run in the background or does the app always have to be open? Rest assured as donation will be made for your efforts. Just for another 2 cents it had no affect sending MMS either while connected to Wifi since it has to temporarily disconnect to send and still no stutter :)

ajalkane 2012-09-06 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1261893)
Is the bluetooth feature already implemented in Profilematic? or will it have to be? If it isn't when do you think it will be? Can it run in the background or does the app always have to be open?

Bluetooth feature is not yet in ProfileMatic. I will try to implement it to the next version. ProfileMatic runs in background, no need to keep the application open.

justadude 2012-09-06 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1261941)
Bluetooth feature is not yet in ProfileMatic. I will try to implement it to the next version. ProfileMatic runs in background, no need to keep the application open.

Don't mean to keep picking your brain here, but could you release a version of the toggle to turn bluetooth on/Wifi scan off on the same toggle and reverse the process when bluetooth toggle turned off? You could still implement the changing icon and one would know BT is on because of the little BT icon up in the status bar or possibly whatever creative icon that could be created for such situation. Is it too daft an idea? :confused:

ajalkane 2012-09-06 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1262035)
Don't mean to keep picking your brain here, but could you release a version of the toggle to turn bluetooth on/Wifi scan off on the same toggle and reverse the process when bluetooth toggle turned off? You could still implement the changing icon and one would know BT is on because of the little BT icon up in the status bar or possibly whatever creative icon that could be created for such situation. Is it too daft an idea? :confused:

It's not a bad idea. I mean does this application have any other uses than helping with Bluetooth stuttering? I can't imagine anyone using it for anything else.

People voice your opinion on this. Would automatically turning bluetooth on and off be preferrable? Although there is the question about the Bluetooth mode to turn it into. There's 3 modes possible: Off, on, and "on and visible". That's a bit of a bugger actually and would require IMO that this was a setting. Gets a bit to the "is this too much work" territory.

Anyway... I'm interested in people's opinions. But after that bit of wondering, I'm thinking proper user friendly support would be quite a bit more work. I have to add that it's relatively easy to hack this kind of thing into the existing files, assuming you'd call the existing ToggleBluetooth application in same script with ToggleWlanScan.

Sniper_swe 2012-09-06 09:59

I like it like it is:) Really easy to use. I have put the toggle next to my spotify app icon:)

ajalkane 2012-09-06 10:46

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't resist checking how easy it would be to create a new icon that runs both Toggle BT and ToggleWlanScan.

So to have both toggled with one toggle:

1) Install Toggle BT from Nokia Store
2) Install ToggleWlanScan
3) Download the attachment here, and unzip it. Open terminal, and in devel-su copy the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications

There you have it.

P@t 2012-09-06 11:40

thanks ajalkane for this, I would personally prefer to have everything under profilematic ;)
because i want more actions than only wifi scanning off/on. Like PSM off/on, changing the profile too...

flopjoke 2012-09-06 11:40

@justadude that's a clever idea.. now it becomes even simpler to use!

@ajalkane thanks for making the ideas a reality =)

Let the non-stuttering streaming begin!

ajalkane 2012-09-06 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by P@t (Post 1262140)
thanks ajalkane for this, I would personally prefer to have everything under profilematic ;)
because i want more actions than only wifi scanning off/on. Like PSM off/on, changing the profile too...

Yes I agree it would be nicer. And I intend to bring Bluetooth pairing condition to next version. Will see how that goes, but if I've understood correctly then it'd be possible to create these kind of rules.

justadude 2012-09-06 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1262065)
It's not a bad idea. I mean does this application have any other uses than helping with Bluetooth stuttering? I can't imagine anyone using it for anything else.

People voice your opinion on this. Would automatically turning bluetooth on and off be preferrable? Although there is the question about the Bluetooth mode to turn it into. There's 3 modes possible: Off, on, and "on and visible". That's a bit of a bugger actually and would require IMO that this was a setting. Gets a bit to the "is this too much work" territory.

Anyway... I'm interested in people's opinions. But after that bit of wondering, I'm thinking proper user friendly support would be quite a bit more work. I have to add that it's relatively easy to hack this kind of thing into the existing files, assuming you'd call the existing ToggleBluetooth application in same script with ToggleWlanScan.

That's my intention here. I have already the bluetooth toggle and it follows the same set of rules I have set in the regular settings folder for BT. I only set to BT scan when I want to pair new and that is done in settings as well. Its so far worked like a charm auto pairing with my car after turning toggle on and NFC pairing with my Wireless music receiver as well as the 360 speakers. I'm sure it would work like a charm with the suggested toggle :D By the way, thanks for doing this for me and everyone else. I honestly don't understand the big problem for Nokia making this an option with the OEM software. You are indeed a good chap! I will be taking a look at Profilematic to see what it has to offer soon. I just wanted something a little simpler. Again thank you!

justadude 2012-09-06 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1262114)
I couldn't resist checking how easy it would be to create a new icon that runs both Toggle BT and ToggleWlanScan.

So to have both toggled with one toggle:

1) Install Toggle BT from Nokia Store
2) Install ToggleWlanScan
3) Download the attachment here, and unzip it. Open terminal, and in devel-su copy the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications

There you have it.

Amazing! I will try it out and let you know how it works this evening here in the States :D

justadude 2012-09-07 04:59

Works like it should, but note to anyone who uses NFC to use toggle to activate before tapping to sync with NFC. Only takes a second! Plus, there is no Icon just a green one but I'm sure that was intended. Cheers!

ajalkane 2012-09-07 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1262456)
Plus, there is no Icon just a green one but I'm sure that was intended.

Yes, it's intended as my skills and energy did not extend to drawing an icon for it. But if you look at the desktop file it should be obvious where to put an icon.