maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Maemo 5] [Announce] Hamster Filer 0.6.4 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87152)

Estel 2012-10-09 14:15

Re: [Maemo 5] [Announce] Hamster Filer 0.6.1 - a new file manager

About "always open file with", isn't dbus-switchboard package exactly mean't for that? As it affects whole Maemo, I don't see reason, why it shouldn't be compatible with Hamster.

Even more than that - if decided to duplicated dbus-switchboard functionality inside Hamster, it would be regression for people using the former. So, if decided to, make it at least configurable (aka "turn off"), pretty please.

/Estel

mr_pingu 2012-10-09 14:41

Well this way is the most-flexible way I think but I would like to see just as in filebox, a special option for edit, used this alot.

Unfortunately did filebox not list all texteditors, like it didn't list txpad or KhtEditor. Nano and leafpad were succesfully integrated there.

Since I compared to filebox, I spotted more convenient differences for example
*Filebox has a nice way to tar a folder and or multiple files
*Filebox has inbuilt ability to open zip and tar internally (maybe even rar too but I don't remember)

Of course this are just request of useful features. You are not forced to implement anything of this. Actually I like the flexibility of putting your own command for open with..

Drawback of this method is that is a bit more unconvienent/difficult to set (for less experienced users).

mr_pingu 2012-10-10 06:20

Noticed a bug: When you use the keyboard to navigate it doesn't highlight the upfolder icon in both grid and list view. The highlight just dissappears.

Also when entering the folder you don't see the highlight because it starts in the upperight corner, the upfolder icon. When entering a folder you lose kind of your highlight...

Other thing, could backspace be mapped to previous folder? Just like you did with OMP?

Thanks gidzzz

artpra 2012-10-10 08:35

Bugs:
1. Switching navigation bar (with bottom left icon) on/off resets multiselecion highlight
2. Go to some long patch, for example "/home/user/MyDocs/cities/diskcache/0/0/", now swipe navigation bar to the right to see "/" button and use it: You will be taken to the "/" as expected, but navigation bar swipes to the left by itself. Shouldn`t it stay at leftmost position showing "/", where You currently are?

Joseph9560 2012-10-14 14:43

While changing directory, filebox is able to show another directory without flickering screen. Instead of showing blank screen for some milliseconds, it keeps on showing the old directory until new directory view is ready. It feels faster and smoother that way. I hope you got what I am saying.

Would be nice to see about and help menu in the application.

The view is not aligned to center of screen (instead, some space is left on right).

Possibly different sizes of grids to choose from for grid view.

Great works man. Will be replacing my filebox with this one soon.

Estel 2012-10-19 00:51

Request:

When one long-press path tabs (tabs, representing directories in path to current one), it got replaced by familiar imputable text field, where we can define path manually, using auto-completion, just like in filebox.

For me (and as I suppose, for many other users), it's more convenient, than clicking on tabs. Could there be an option, to make it *default* way, in which path is presented? Currently, upon every start of hamster, one need to long-press it, as toggle trigger.

Thanks in advance,

/Estel

tanago 2012-10-19 17:27

The most useful file manager for Maemo so far! THANK YOU

n0idea 2012-10-19 17:37

5 Attachment(s)
Great app! Handy and flexible, with custom commands.
My additional commands:
  • 1. Terminal for current dir:
    osso-xterm "sh -c 'cd """$(dirname ""%s"")"""; sh'"
  • 2. Upload to ftp:
    ncftpput -u username -p password 10.0.0.1 / %s
  • 3. Create playlist for selected dir (*.mp3;*.mp4;*.flac):
    osso-xterm "sh -c 'find ""%s"" -type f -name *.mp3 -o -name *.mp4 -o -name *.flac > ""%s"".m3u'"
  • 4. QML viewer:
    qmlviewer -I /opt/qtm12/imports -fullscreen -opengl %s
  • 5. Install deb-package:
    osso-xterm "sh -c 'sudo dpkg -i ""%s"";echo ""press any key for exit"";read key;'"
  • 6. Unzip to dir:
    unzip-fm %s
  • 7. Try to execute Harmattan app:
    meecolay %s

Attachment 29319->1. Attachment 29320 ->2. Attachment 29321 ->3. Attachment 29531->4. Attachment 29532->5.

adelalgomai 2012-10-20 18:33

How can I open video files with another player instead of default player ?
for example : Kmplayer ..
I tried to add kmplayer to applications like that :
( kmplayer) in the upper field .
( Kmplayer %s) in command bar
>>>>
but when I try to open a file with ( open with ) then chose kmplayer , nothing happen ..
how can I add my favorite apps please ??
I love to add those :
Kmplayer , leafpad , mypaint , symfonie , evince ,
>>>
ooh sorry .. I forget to thank u for this great app .. keep going man .

n0idea 2012-10-22 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by adelalgomai (Post 1283073)
how can I add my favorite apps please ??
I love to add those :
Kmplayer , leafpad , mypaint , symfonie , evince ,

Not all apps can to open file from command... but need to try it!

Example for KMPlayer:
  • 1. Try to run from terminal.
    "kmplayer" -> not found
  • 2. Okay, then go to "/usr/share/applications/hildon" and reading ".desktop" file.
    "kmplayer.desktop"
    Exec="/opt/kmplayer/bin/kmplayer"
    It's path to binary - u can run it!
  • 3. Try to run from Hamster.
    "/opt/kmplayer/bin/kmplayer %s" -> it's work - release & happy :)

"leafpad %s" -> working.
"evince %s" -> working too.

I think it's good feature request - preinstalled examples for applications, OR better - "Open with..." show dialog with list of applications, loaded from .desktop files - choose and auto add name and command with %s param favorites in top - it's really like "Open with...". And for commands other item menu...

adelalgomai 2012-10-24 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by n0idea (Post 1284041)
Not all apps can to open file from command... but need to try it!

Example for KMPlayer:
  • 1. Try to run from terminal.
    "kmplayer" -> not found
  • 2. Okay, then go to "/usr/share/applications/hildon" and reading ".desktop" file.
    "kmplayer.desktop"
    Exec="/opt/kmplayer/bin/kmplayer"
    It's path to binary - u can run it!
  • 3. Try to run from Hamster.
    "/opt/kmplayer/bin/kmplayer %s" -> it's work - release & happy :)

"leafpad %s" -> working.
"evince %s" -> working too.

I think it's good feature request - preinstalled examples for applications, OR better - "Open with..." show dialog with list of applications, loaded from .desktop files - choose and auto add name and command with %s param favorites in top - it's really like "Open with...". And for commands other item menu...

Million Thanx my brother .. It's really work perfectly .. I think kmplayer was need the full path as u said .. now the program became usefull with this great feature , so when i need to play video which cannot open with default player and only need kmplayer , all i have to do is just : open with ... no need to open kmplayer and search for that file ..

adelalgomai 2012-10-24 16:50

there another problem I just found today ..
I cant share any file with bluetooth ..
when I long press>then :share > bluetooth ... nothing happen ...
is there a problem I have in my case , or the program itself cannot do that ??
sorry for bothering u with questions all time .. but I loved to make this program usefull as-much-as it can be .

gidzzz 2012-10-26 00:39

Excuse my absence, since the last update I was so busy that I could even hardly find time to sleep, but still I somehow managed to dedicate a few minutes now an then to this project and this is how, with much struggle, Hamster Filer 0.6.2 finally appears. :) There are no shiny features, but some useful improvements are present:
  • Scrollbar position is restored after selecting a directory from the location bar or performing an operation which causes the file list to be reloaded.
  • Location bar can be shown/hidden without reloading the file list.
  • Some example application entries are created on the first run.
  • Removed all traces of the menu bar of applications window when opening it in application-launching mode.
  • Enabling multi-select clears the selection to prevent selecting an additional item by mistake.
  • Loading indicator is shown when opening a directory.
  • Fixed sharing via Bluetooth.
  • Fixed the location bar scrolling to an outdated button.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kossuth (Post 1278241)
If I am ofline, the folder shows empty, but if I am connected to internet via WLAN I can see the contents. If I'm ofline and go in Hamster Filer to / and then connect, the contents show up after my Skype icon goes green and show I'm online. And yes, I know this sounds like me or my N900 are on some heavy medication, but this is what is happening!

Sounds very strange indeed and I have no idea what's possibly going on, so I'm afraid I can't help you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kossuth (Post 1278241)
I also found out about new feature, that might have some effect on users. When you visit a folder and come back from it and delete it, it stay still in the "navigation bar" as a box you can choose (if you use that type of bar). If you click on it (I did, accidentally), the software goes black for a while as it loads something, and is momentarily unusable. After that you can resume using the software as you want. I also tried this with your latest version you released six hours ago.

I haven't observed anything like that, but 0.6.2 treats nonexistent files in a more careful way, so it might fix the problem for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1278662)
Noticed a bug: When you use the keyboard to navigate it doesn't highlight the upfolder icon in both grid and list view. The highlight just dissappears.

It's actually half-bug, half-feature. ;) Selection is disabled for the first item so that the parent directory cannot be a subject to file operations. Maybe I'll think of a better solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph9560 (Post 1280424)
While changing directory, filebox is able to show another directory without flickering screen. Instead of showing blank screen for some milliseconds, it keeps on showing the old directory until new directory view is ready. It feels faster and smoother that way. I hope you got what I am saying.

I have the opposite feeling about that. :p In FileBox you can't see the moment of refreshing a directory just because its GUI is frozen (try pressing a button when loading a lot of files). Hamster Filer will show an empty list for a moment, but the GUI is responsive for most of the loading time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1282371)
When one long-press path tabs (tabs, representing directories in path to current one), it got replaced by familiar imputable text field, where we can define path manually, using auto-completion, just like in filebox.

For me (and as I suppose, for many other users), it's more convenient, than clicking on tabs. Could there be an option, to make it *default* way, in which path is presented? Currently, upon every start of hamster, one need to long-press it, as toggle trigger.

Do you remember about Ctrl+L? But if it's still not fast enough, I think I could add such option.

guilledoc 2012-10-26 12:48

Re: [Maemo 5] [Announce] Hamster Filer 0.6.2 - a new file manager

Sorry if Iīm dumb..
I can see images, photos in the file manager have to add some app?
And also I donīt have installe xarchiver is there a way to ad another unzip unrar like in stock FM or in Filebox?
Thank for the app!!

adelalgomai 2012-10-26 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1285616)
Excuse my absence, since the last update I was so busy that I could even hardly find time to sleep, but still I somehow managed to dedicate a few minutes now an then to this project and this is how, with much struggle, Hamster Filer 0.6.2 finally appears. :) There are no shiny features, but some useful improvements are present:
  • Scrollbar position is restored after selecting a directory from the location bar or performing an operation which causes the file list to be reloaded.
  • Location bar can be shown/hidden without reloading the file list.
  • Some example application entries are created on the first run.
  • Removed all traces of the menu bar of applications window when opening it in application-launching mode.
  • Enabling multi-select clears the selection to prevent selecting an additional item by mistake.
  • Loading indicator is shown when opening a directory.
  • Fixed the location bar scrolling to an outdated button.

OOh .. thanx a lot my brother .. it's really great work and I appreciate it .. you almost fixed everything I wanted ..
But , is this update ready to install now ??
thanx again .

Estel 2012-10-26 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1285616)
Do you remember about Ctrl+L? But if it's still not fast enough, I think I could add such option.

Good catch - I forget about it. Yet, it would still be useful, to have possibility of setting it as default way of "handling" directory path. After all, it eliminates ctrl+ L on every startup... ;)

Thanks a lot for your work on this project it's really, really appreciated!

/Estel

impeham 2012-10-26 21:09

This file manager rocks!

Suggestion for 2 very useful features:

1. A "back" button - to return to previous folder/s
2. Save last folder on exit and return to it on next startup

adelalgomai 2012-10-27 17:49

I didn't found the new version (0.6.2) .. Mr gidzzz said that this new version is " finally appears " , but when try to upgrade from terminal nothing happen , and when I try to : apt-get install hamsterfiler . it says : hamsterfilers is allready th newest version ... that's mean there are no updates available to download .
when the updates will be ready to download ??

gidzzz 2012-12-05 13:11

Hmmm, no one complains that Bluetooth is still not working? :p I lived in a blissful belief that I fixed it last time, but to my disappointment, I have recently discovered that it is still broken.

This time it should be taken care of for good -- I tested it over and over again until my N900 started to complain about low battery. ;) That is only one among a few changes in Hamster Filer 0.6.3, all of them are listed below.
  • Added an option to save the location on exit.
  • Fixed misdetection of existing entries when creating a new file/directory.
  • Added some error messages to the file details dialog.
  • Better recovery from an invalid starting location.
  • Reduced the margin in the settings window to avoid horizontal scrolling with wider fonts.

myname24 2012-12-05 15:06

Re: [Maemo 5] [Announce] Hamster Filer 0.6.3

Thanks for the great filemanager . This is the only file manager that worked with the keyboard ( the digitiser was broken last month ) .

impeham 2012-12-06 21:18

God - this file browser rocks!

sixwheeledbeast 2012-12-23 00:15

I can't seem to delete files or folders with hamster filer.

Comes to an Error Dialog with Skip, Retry and Abort.

Tried as normal and as root, no output in a terminal.
Anybody else have this problem?

Edit:-

Seems on terminating application the error in terminal is...

Code:

X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42 (X_SetInputFocus)
Resource id 0x3600003

ade 2012-12-23 00:53

No problems over here. Can you remove the file using the commandline rm? Is your MyDocs perhaps mounted as read only?

Sourav.dubey 2012-12-23 05:13

Same issue over here
Yes I am able to delete it with rm and using filebox
no MyDocs is not read only

sixwheeledbeast 2012-12-23 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sourav.dubey (Post 1306976)
Same issue over here
Yes I am able to delete it with rm and using filebox
no MyDocs is not read only

Yes . FIlebox will delete the files.
However the folder I was trying to delete had a file deep in the directories which seemed be corrupt.
After deleting the one corrupt file with Filebox the whole directory was removed no problem.

I still cannot remove files or folders from anywhere with Hamster.

gidzzz 2012-12-23 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1307040)
I still cannot remove files or folders from anywhere with Hamster.

I find it hard to believe, as FileBox also seems to use QFile::remove() for deleting files. :eek: From what I understood, even the most trivial deletion fails, is that right? By "most trivial" I mean something like:
  • navigate to "/home/user/",
  • create a file and give it a simple name (for example "a"),
  • delete "a".

sixwheeledbeast 2012-12-23 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1307068)
I find it hard to believe, as FileBox also seems to use QFile::remove() for deleting files. :eek: From what I understood, even the most trivial deletion fails, is that right? By "most trivial" I mean something like:
  • navigate to "/home/user/",
  • create a file and give it a simple name (for example "a"),
  • delete "a".

The above works, however I can't delete the below for example when filebox will.

Code:

/home/user/.myscripts/a.txt

gidzzz 2012-12-23 15:06

If "a.txt" is a file freshly created with Hamster (this is essential to rule out any problems with permissions), then it leaves me stunned. The only thing that I can think of is some random corruption, possibly fixed by rebooting or reinstalling Hamster.

sixwheeledbeast 2012-12-23 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1307087)
If "a.txt" is a file freshly created with Hamster (this is essential to rule out any problems with permissions), then it leaves me stunned. The only thing that I can think of is some random corruption, possibly fixed by rebooting or reinstalling Hamster.

OK so it seems like a permissions thing.

I can create and remove "home/user/.myscripts/a.txt with FileBox but I can't do either with Hamster with run as root on or off.

However /home/user/MyDocs/a.txt will create and delete with Hamster.

It seems files with root permissions are not editable with Hamster.

Code:

ls -la
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  root  4096 Dec 23 16:41 .myscripts

sudo chown user .myscripts/
ls -la
drwxr-xr-x  2 user  root  4096 Dec 23 16:41 .myscripts

sudo chgrp users .myscripts/
ls -la
drwxr-xr-x  2 user users  4096 Dec 23 16:41 .myscripts

After the above all working perfect.

I must have created the folder with filebox set to "run as root"

Can Hamster not warn of bad permissions?

gidzzz 2012-12-23 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1307110)
It seems files with root permissions are not editable with Hamster.

Are you aware that Hamster also requires restart before "run as root" is applied? You can tell if it's really running as root by looking at the window title (it should say "Hamster Filer (root)").

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1307110)
Can Hamster not warn of bad permissions?

As long as it uses QFile for removing files (but that might change) -- no, error reporting is very scarce there. Yeah, FileBox warns you, but it deals with that by trying to create an empty file next to the one which should be deleted. I don't like such approach, and it's still just guessing.

sixwheeledbeast 2012-12-23 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1307143)
Are you aware that Hamster also requires restart before "run as root" is applied?.

No I wasn't, should this be put the checkbox label? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1307143)
As long as it uses QFile for removing files (but that might change) -- no, error reporting is very scarce there. Yeah, FileBox warns you, but it deals with that by trying to create an empty file next to the one which should be deleted. I don't like such approach, and it's still just guessing.

Ok, many thanks for your help and explanation.
I do prefer Hamster to FileBox, also your code is very tidy and well annotated :)

shabmanu 2013-01-27 05:39

can you please help with the sourcecode of Hamster filemanager?

elros34 2013-02-16 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabmanu (Post 1318056)

Source is available here. I want to change size of icons files (how?) but there are errors when compiling.

impeham 2013-02-24 11:52

using %s does not work when i click on a filename which has spaces - i tried tagging it with '%s' but then the application won't launch at all.

[Edit] solved (strangely) with:
\"%s \" (the space after %s was important)

impeham 2013-03-05 09:12

gidzzz - kindly requesting 2 more features:

1. "Back" button to return to previous folder/s
2. set folder permissions propagation (set permissions in recurse on all files/folders in a folder)

This is the best file browser i ever used on a mobile device - thanks for the great work :)

AapoRantalainen 2013-05-23 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabmanu (Post 1318056)

Quote:

Originally Posted by elros34 (Post 1323298)
but there are errors when compiling

Best start is:
Code:

apt-get source hamsterfiler
apt-get build-dep hamsterfiler
cd hamsterfiler*
dpkg-buildpackage

(It is good start with any package)

And then copy-paste your errors here.

AapoRantalainen 2013-05-23 19:47

I started wiki page for Hamster Filer: http://wiki.maemo.org/HamsterFiler to collect existing bugs. I used FileBox's wikipage as a starting point and every feature request given for FileBox is now feature request for Hamster Filer :D

I think most needed feature is translations.

sixwheeledbeast 2013-05-23 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen (Post 1346342)
I started wiki page for Hamster Filer: http://wiki.maemo.org/HamsterFiler

Reformatted and added more information to wiki.
Also noted there is no bugtracker link for the application.

AapoRantalainen 2013-05-23 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1346363)
and added more information to wiki.

According to the src/main.cpp license is GPLv3+.

pichlo 2013-06-11 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by impeham (Post 1326993)
gidzzz - kindly requesting 2 more features:

1. "Back" button to return to previous folder/s
2. set folder permissions propagation (set permissions in recurse on all files/folders in a folder)

Seconded.

I would also like to add:
3. Folder details to show the number of items in that folder (ideally separated to 'files' and 'subfolders', but not crucial) and their combined size.
4. A dual-pane view or at least an easy way to switch between two locations. One can use bookmarks for that but one does not always want to add temporary bookmarks, not to mention that having a flip-flop is faster and less error prone especially if one has many bookmarks.

Quote:

This is the best file browser i ever used on a mobile device - thanks for the great work :)
I second that too. Amen!