maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [KDE] BOUNTY for running Microb in KDE (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=19901)

BruceL 2008-06-06 15:12

Re: BOUNTY for running Microb in KDE

I'll add another $10.00 to the pool!

penguinbait 2008-06-06 15:27

OK, so that is $60 via paypal to anyone who can get microb working

40$ from penguinbait

10$ from smog

10$ from BruceL

Bundyo 2008-06-06 15:27

The icons shouldn't be a problem methinks. It should run without them.

Benson 2008-06-06 22:13

Just figured I'd mention, since I'd forgotten to at the time; I gave up on it (temporarily), so you needn't bother putting your new tablet back up for public access on my accoun.

I have enough OSes now, that I'll just install KDE on one if I get serious about it again...

Bundyo 2008-06-07 10:28

Yes, i will too, even downloaded it (i mean i won't need access to yours too)

qole 2008-06-16 22:10

I wonder if Benson could get it working through this project where he's trying to get ITOS apps running in a chroot. It seems to me that if one could do that and overcome the dbus issues involved, something like this would be trivial.

scumgrief 2008-06-17 01:51

now if only if i had a tablet to work my magic!!!! ;)

penguinbait 2008-06-17 21:11

OK, so that is $60 via paypal to anyone who can get microb working

40$ from penguinbait

10$ from smog

10$ from BruceL

cmon anyone??

qole 2008-06-18 18:06

Little update. The problem is not the Sapwood server. I have multiple OS2008 partitions on my N800. I booted to one and then mounted another one and then did a chroot into it. Then, from within the chroot, I ran "browser" as user. I got a bunch of sapwood-server errors ("must be started before applications" ... "Connection refused" ... etc) BUT the browser started up and displayed correctly in OS2008.

I started KDE, did the same chroot procedure, ran "browser" as user, got the same Sapwood errors... but the usual eternal "Updating" behavior still happened.

So there's something else that the browser framework is waiting for. Perhaps some daemon that the browser is expecting is getting shut down when you start KDE. Any ideas?

EDIT1: Interesting. When I closed the browser in KDE, I got a new error.
Quote:

GLIB CRITICAL ** default - browser_plugin_mgr_destroy: assertion 'BROWSERPLUGIN_MGR(self)' failed
What is this Browser Plugin Manager? How is it run? It seems that it isn't getting started in KDE, but it is running in OS2008 because I didn't get that error when closing the browser in OS2008.

EDIT2: The correct way to start the browser seems to be via DBUS. So, you should use the browser_dbuscmd.sh script. But when I try:
Quote:

browser_dbuscmd.sh open_new_window www.google.com

I get an error:
Quote:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process /usr/bin/browser exited with status 1
I get that error trying to run browser_dbuscmd.sh from OS2008, too. So nevermind.

EDIT3: Curiouser and curiouser. After doing my KDE test, the chroot browser no longer works in OS2008 either. Now I just get a blank screen and a bunch of GLIB errors like the following:
Quote:

browser[4927]: GLIB CRITICAL ** default - browser_view_get_env_context: assertion 'self->browser_osso' failed
It makes me wonder if I wasn't just running the non-chroot browser the first time.

Benson 2008-06-18 19:02

Remember, the browser now (OK, whenever Diablo is released) has a separate daemon and what-not. Someone with Diablo ought to install KDE and try it -- it's possible it just works...