maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What makes phone a success? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99564)

Wikiwide 2017-07-01 06:52

Re: What makes phone a success?

USB bus may be more power hungry, but it's also more standard and obviously more secure (not sharing memory between modem and other things). Sizing of USB sticks is an issue, yes. I would have hoped that they are small enough to hide completely inside USB port, but it may be more difficult for antenna-equipped USB modems. Antenna reception may be challenging, too.

Edit: Ben Nanonote is fairly close to 100% FOSS, I reckon.

theonelaw 2017-07-01 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1529957)

Edit: Ben Nanonote is fairly close to 100% FOSS, I reckon.

Taking a few minutes to Learn something new every day is fun:
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ben_NanoNote

copyleft hardware planet

"Quest for camp stove fuel" was an intriguing story...
but the cake goes to:
Quote:

Now some of the readers may think 'who uses SCTP anyway'. I will give you a straight answer: Everyone who has a mobile phone uses SCTP.

Venemo 2017-07-03 15:29

I very much agree with Jolla's old motto:

Quote:

The world doesn't need a new smartphone, it needs a new way of thinking.
Unfortunately, at the end what they delivered was just a new smartphone.

gerbick 2017-07-03 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venemo (Post 1530075)
Unfortunately, at the end what they delivered was just a new smartphone.

It was a start. However what's listed in this thread is a recipe for how to become a niche instantly and a memory even quicker.

NX500 2017-07-03 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1530083)
It was a start. However what's listed in this thread is a recipe for how to become a niche instantly and a memory even quicker.

Oi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NX500 (Post 1529844)
Marketing.

10 chars

qtsonic 2017-08-01 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1529828)
You all seem to forget the most important desirability factor, which is the brand.
rice cookers highlighted here
Why is it so that my son wants specifically Air Jordan shoes and not the arguably same quality generic label foorwear from supermarket?

Why is it that my wife is (not so) patientently waiting for the HMD Nokia 9 launch before purchasing a new phone even as her current device is flaking off the seams... :)

Yes. Brand is definitely an important factor in purchase decisions. I mean, I could bring you a phone called 'Pononi' and tell you that it has good specs. You will be skeptical at first but if I tell you former employees of Nokia were involved in it manufacture then may be you might give it a chance.

Howard30 2017-10-20 10:55

What can you say about iPhone? Who likes it?

maegon9y00 2017-10-20 11:21

what make a phone success?

buyers.

mosen 2017-10-20 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard30 (Post 1537344)
What can you say about iPhone? Who likes it?

I would love to be able to own an iphone like all my daughters friends who rightfully bully her for not being available on vital apple services like "find my friend" and imessage.
(AT THE AGE OF 9 YEARS FF****S)
Also apple being the forefront of openness, them sticking with their founding principles since day one and how closely they listen to their userbase makes it irresistible to offer my familys soul on steves altar and join that elite religion one day.
For different reasons i can not afford all of this, but i will never give up my dream.
meaning: i really really do not like the current attitude of both, the company and most of its customers
Too you a warm welcome and thanks for joining talk.maemo, the place where all but one question are taken serious ;)

pichlo 2017-10-23 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1537352)

You [insert expletive here]! I clicked that during a quiet period at work! :D