maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Erminig-NG: two-way synchronization Google Calendar <-> Fremantle Calendar (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40408)

lorelei 2010-01-31 23:36

Re: [Announce] Erminig-NG: two-way synchronization Google Calendar <-> Fremantle Calendar

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 504395)
I.e. the first --sync-calendar command is supposed to fill it up with the existing entries, right? I don't want to run the second command yet, don't want to end up with an empty calendar on the Google side too.

No, the --sync-calendar won't perform any synchronization yet (its name is awfully misleading...fortunately it's going away with the GUI version). It only creates the bindings for the calendars and creates the needed calendars.

You have to run erminig-ng without any parameter to perform actual sync.

lorelei 2010-01-31 23:46

Re: [Announce] Erminig-NG: two-way synchronization Google Calendar <-> Fremantle Calendar

OK, found a possible workaround that XML problem (by the way, thank you Palleman for putting me on the right track!).

Instead of importing xml.utils.iso8601, we can import _xmlplus.utils.iso8601 (and modify all references to the new import)

a not-so-satisfying explanation can be found on this web page:

http://www.amk.ca/diary/2003/03/pyth...plus_hack.html

I have to make a few tests to see if it works as expected, but I'm fairly confident that this is the correct solution. I will update the FAQ immediately and prepare a new package (tomorrow, because it's a bit late around here :))

Palleman 2010-02-01 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 504406)
OK, found a possible workaround that XML problem (by the way, thank you Palleman for putting me on the right track!).

Instead of importing xml.utils.iso8601, we can import _xmlplus.utils.iso8601 (and modify all references to the new import)

That didn't work for me. It still complained avout the missing module.

I looked into our find results, and we both have _xmlplus in /usr/share/pyshared but you also have /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/ which I don't.

I added a symlink, and that made everything work. I changed the import line and all references in the file, deleted the .db file, reran the --sync-calendars and ran a bare erminig-ng. It is now adding events from Google to the new local calendar.

It is slow and it's eating resources, but I guess that's what you get for running stuff that's not even in a .deb yet, and in addition doing it with a massive data source and output straight to the screen...

Palleman 2010-02-01 01:26

I've now tested adding and deleting events both ways, and it seems to work fine. No recurring events though (which is not only bad, since I won't have a couple of hundred birthdays duplicated).

Is there a way to fiddle with the .db to change the binding from the new calendar to the default N900 calendar? Or, is there a way to change which local calendar is the default when adding new events?

joshua.maverick 2010-02-01 06:34

waiting for this bad boy. When can we expect a release with a GUI?

lorelei 2010-02-01 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick (Post 504661)
waiting for this bad boy. When can we expect a release with a GUI?

That's not an easy question, but let's say that if there are no big issues with the core syncing functionalities a GUI may appear within two weeks (but don't quote me on this, I did not say it :))

The main issue at the moment is that xml.utils.iso8601 stuff that is really worrying me since I can't find a proper pattern for the failure. I will probably install all the packages other people installed to see which one is causing grief....

dreixel 2010-02-01 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 504441)
I added a symlink, and that made everything work.

Can you provide the details for this symlink? I want to try this too, to see if it works on my system.

lorelei 2010-02-01 08:20

To those who are going to try the symlink to xml.utils.iso8601: please remove the symlink once a proper solution has been found! Creating such a symlink may have unintended side effects on other programs!

The proper workaround is in the works (probably by using another module), I hope to get it done by this evening.

thanks

Palleman 2010-02-01 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreixel (Post 504705)
Can you provide the details for this symlink? I want to try this too, to see if it works on my system.

ln -s /usr/share/pyshared/_xmlplus /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus

As always, the one typing the above is the one living with the consequences (although I haven't noticed any side effects so far).

/P

lorelei 2010-02-01 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 504483)
No recurring events though (which is not only bad, since I won't have a couple of hundred birthdays duplicated).

Yes, recurring events are not managed yet. In fact I just discovered that the recurring events support in Fremantle Calendar is very poor (it won't accept "exceptions")....

Quote:

Or, is there a way to change which local calendar is the default when adding new events?
Not that I know, but this would be very useful!

Quote:

Is there a way to fiddle with the .db to change the binding from the new calendar to the default N900 calendar?
There's probably a way to coerce Erminig and the local calendar to do that, but I don't think that I'm going to investigate this further, since it doesn't appear to be a common use-case, Next version will allow the user to sync to an already existing calendar, without forcing the creation of a new one.

Quote:

It is slow and it's eating resources, but I guess that's what you get for running stuff that's not even in a .deb yet, and in addition doing it with a massive data source and output straight to the screen...
How massive the data source (how many events)? And from where? (Google or local calendar?).

Concerning the slowness: normally it's only the first sync that may be slow, since it has to fetch quite a lot of information from Google, all subsequent syncs should be faster.

Concerning eating resources: do you mean memory resources or CPU resources?
Memory usage at first sync increases in O(n), with n being the number of events, and more generally it's also O(n) in the subsequent syncs, but here n is the number of modified/new/deleted events (and not the total number of events)

And yes, output of the debug data to the screen will not help. All that output will be removed in the next version, and only a few lines will be logged in an ad-hoc log window.

lorelei 2010-02-01 12:37

Regarding the xml.utils.iso8601: I will definitely abandon that module, since it's very problematic under certain circumstances.

I will use the dateutil module (additional dependency, but that package is available in Extra).

This means that I have to publish another version before the one with the GUI, since as you can imagine date handling is quite critical in Erminig, so I want to be sure that there is no hidden surprise somewhere with that new module.

Concerning the GUI: I will post a few screenshots of the mock-ups in the next few days.

Palleman 2010-02-01 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 505002)
Next version will allow the user to sync to an already existing calendar, without forcing the creation of a new one.

Never mind the .db fiddling then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 505002)
How massive the data source (how many events)? And from where? (Google or local calendar?).

A couple of thousand events from Google to local, at the first sync. It ate CPU (or more accurately, it increased the load quite a bit and made the phone sluggish), not memory. The slowness could also be seen in the output on the screen (slow enough to have time to read it). But I guess that much of this slowness was due to printing all the inserts to screen.

Subsequent syncs are also slow enough to have time to read the output, but since it's only a couple of events each time, it doesn't matter that much.

/P

lorelei 2010-02-01 23:15

OK, here's a fixed version for the iso8601 problem. This is the only fix in this release, there's absolutely no new feature compared to 0.1.0.

Since it appears that python2.5-dateutil is not available in Extras yet (it's only in -devel), I've changed the strategy: I'm now bundling the iso8601 module together with erminig. This should fix once for all the problem.

Once python2.5-dateutil is available in Extra I will change the code to use that module and get rid of the one bundled.

I'm also removing the old release from the previous post and redirect here for the downloads.

thank you for the patience and for the help pin-pointing the problem!

Updated version of Erminig-NG can be downloaded here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=128

Version 0.1.1 that was previously here has been removed, since it contained a bug.

dreixel 2010-02-02 07:09

Now I'm getting:

Code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "erminig-ng", line 43, in <module>
    import cwrapper
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/erminig-ng-0.1.1/cwrapper.py", line 13, in <module>
    lib = cdll.LoadLibrary(erminig_conf.libpath + "/libcalaccess.so")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ctypes/__init__.py", line 431, in LoadLibrary
    return self._dlltype(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ctypes/__init__.py", line 348, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/erminig-ng-0.1.1/libcalaccess.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted

lorelei 2010-02-02 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreixel (Post 506329)
Now I'm getting:

Code:

import cwrapper
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/erminig-ng-0.1.1/cwrapper.py", line 13, in <module>
    lib = cdll.LoadLibrary(erminig_conf.libpath + "/libcalaccess.so")
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/erminig-ng-0.1.1/libcalaccess.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted

the erminig-ng C++ layer (libcalaccess.so) cannot reside in the MyDocs directory, since it is mounted with noexec. Best solution: move the erminig-ng-0.1.1 directory directly to your homedirectory (/home/users), instead of having it in the MyDocs folder.

hope this helps!

dreixel 2010-02-02 07:33

Thanks, that worked, but now I have other problem:

Code:

File "erminig-ng", line 524, in <module>
    syncNewEvents()
  File "erminig-ng", line 503, in syncNewEvents
    getNewEventsFromGoogle(lastSync)
  File "erminig-ng", line 302, in getNewEventsFromGoogle
    cdate = iso8601ToTimestamp(e.published.text)
  File "erminig-ng", line 249, in iso8601ToTimestamp
    return int(iso8601.parse(date))
  File "/home/user/erminig-ng-0.1.1/iso8601.py", line 24, in parse
    return time.mktime(gmt) + __extract_tzd(m) - time.timezone
OverflowError: mktime argument out of range

This when running "python2-5 erminig-ng", after having run "python2-5 erminig-ng --sync-calendars". My N900 calendar looks unchanged (empty).

lorelei 2010-02-02 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreixel (Post 506351)
Thanks, that worked, but now I have other problem:

Code:

File "erminig-ng", line 524, in <module>
    syncNewEvents()
  File "erminig-ng", line 503, in syncNewEvents
  File "erminig-ng", line 302, in getNewEventsFromGoogle
    cdate = iso8601ToTimestamp(e.published.text)
  File "erminig-ng", line 249, in iso8601ToTimestamp
    return int(iso8601.parse(date))
  File "/home/user/erminig-ng-0.1.1/iso8601.py", line 24, in parse
    return time.mktime(gmt) + __extract_tzd(m) - time.timezone
OverflowError: mktime argument out of range

This when running "python2-5 erminig-ng", after having run "python2-5 erminig-ng --sync-calendars". My N900 calendar looks unchanged (empty).

Wild guess: you have an event in Google calendar which is starting after 2037. UNIX timestamps are limited to values until early 2037 IIRC, so this may explain the problem.

I will probably have to clip the dates after the maximum timestamp, since they cannot be managed correctly by Python...

dreixel 2010-02-02 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 506468)
Wild guess: you have an event in Google calendar which is starting after 2037. UNIX timestamps are limited to values until early 2037 IIRC, so this may explain the problem.

Well, I have recurring events coming once every year with no end date (like birthdays), but I thought erminig was ignoring recurring events...

dreixel 2010-02-02 10:24

Also, I have a feature request. It would be nice to have a switch to perform only one-way synchronization (namely from Google to N900). This also makes it safer for users who want to make sure their Google Calendar will not be altered in any way.

Domenech 2010-02-02 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 503142)
Feel free to drop me a message if you find a bug (or just if you find this piece of software useful): those are always appreciated!

Download of erminig-ng 0.1.1 is available in this post:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=93

it fixes the iso8601 problem a few users had. I've removed the original 0.1.0 release, since it was bugged!

Hi, lorelei

I've tried your software and I receive the next error:

Code:

import cwrapper
File "/home/user/MyDocs/erminig-ng/erminig-ng-0.1.1/cwrapper.py", line 13, in module>
  lib = cd11.LoadLibrary(erminig_conf.libpath + "/libcalccess.so")
      self.handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
ODError: /home/user/MyDocs/erminig-ng/erminig-ng-0.1.1/libcalaccess.so: failed to map segment form shared object: Operation not permitted

My erminig_conf.py file:
Code:

google_username = "my_username"
google_password = "my_password"

libpath = "/home/user/MyDocs/erminig-ng/erminig-ng-0.1.1"

maxattempts = 4

Thanks for your time

lorelei 2010-02-02 11:52

dreixel: point taken for the one-way sync. That's a good idea.

For the bug you encountered: yes it is ignoring recurring events, and I just checked the code: the recurring event detection is done before ever manipulating the date, so the problem is not there.

In fact after re-reading the stack trace you posted above, the problem is located in the data feed we get from Google: for some reason the published date of the event is outside the allowed bounds of the time module of Python.

If you are willing to perform a little modification of the code and post here the result it would be great.
Essentially, edit the file ermini-ng and insert before line 302 (i.e. before the line that reads "cdate = iso8601ToTimestamp(e.published.text)" the following code snippet (respecting the proper indentation):

Code:

print e.published.text
the re-run erminig-ng and post back the result.

If you don't want to do that, no problem :)

thanks

lorelei 2010-02-02 11:55

Hi Domenech,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domenech (Post 506652)
I've tried your software and I receive the next error:

Code:

import cwrapper
File "/home/user/MyDocs/erminig-ng/erminig-ng-0.1.1/cwrapper.py", line 13, in module>
  lib = cd11.LoadLibrary(erminig_conf.libpath + "/libcalccess.so")
      self.handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
ODError: /home/user/MyDocs/erminig-ng/erminig-ng-0.1.1/libcalaccess.so: failed to map segment form shared object: Operation not permitted

yes, this this the same issue dreixel reported: you have to move the erminig-ng-0.1.1 directory outside of the MyDocs directory (/home/user is a good location for the moment), change the erminig_conf.py file to reflect the new location of the root erminig directory and re-run erminig.

This is caused by the noexec attribute of the MyDocs mount point.

(see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=95)

dreixel 2010-02-02 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 506657)
Code:

print e.published.text

Eh, it's some event with a date in 1900. This must clearly be a mistake in my calendar, but anyway erminig-ng should be able to handle this. Worse even, I can't really find the event on Google Calendar. I first tried to display the event title, so I would know which one it was, then I found it but the date was ok. In any case I removed it, but now erminig-ng still finds it and still crashes...

lorelei 2010-02-02 15:33

dreixel: well in fact it's not the date of the event itself, it's the creation/publication date of the event that is problematic.

In any case, you are right that erminig should catch those cases and manage them properly. There's clearly a bug there.

dreixel 2010-02-02 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 507019)
dreixel: well in fact it's not the date of the event itself, it's the creation/publication date of the event that is problematic.

Ok, then I understand. This event was not created by me, it was automatically generated from a travel planner...

petibub 2010-02-02 20:46

Hi Lorelei,

thanks for the v0.1.1. I had some time to test it and hey, both thumbs up :)

The calendars are created on google as they should be - even the names are correct now. The events are (almost) correctly synchronized, the recurring events are ignored. "Almost" because: the end date of the events is wrong: the new events on Google are one day shorter than the original events in N900. I checked the time zone and it does not matter - the bug exists even for whole-day events.

Anyway, great job. And I like the new hildon.Note() thing - gives a little more feeling like GUI :D

What about the roadmap for recurring events? Having that I could start using Erminig-NG on a regular basis with my real calendar, which would be really coo :rolleyes:

lorelei 2010-02-02 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by petibub (Post 507464)
The calendars are created on google as they should be - even the names are correct now. The events are (almost) correctly synchronized, the recurring events are ignored. "Almost" because: the end date of the events is wrong: the new events on Google are one day shorter than the original events in N900. I checked the time zone and it does not matter - the bug exists even for whole-day events.

that's interesting. I just tried and I don't seem to be able to trigger such a bug. Would you mind posting a step by step procedure so that I can reproduce it? If you could also post your timezone information that would be great...

Quote:

What about the roadmap for recurring events? Having that I could start using Erminig-NG on a regular basis with my real calendar, which would be really coo :rolleyes:
In an ideal world: by the end of next week recurring events should be implemented. This will take that long because I'm also trying to go forward with the GUI. In fact I'm doing both in parallel (there's no tight integration between the GUI and the core sync procedures), depending on my mood of the day :) (and today it's a GUI day...)

but again don't quote me on that estimation: I'm notoriously bad at this game...

zaheerm 2010-02-03 08:10

I'm using 0.1.1 and all works great and as expected. Thanks!

Palleman 2010-02-03 11:39

Still using old version, but I believe the below isn't changed in the later release (correct me if my assumption is a mother). Until now, the thingy has been doing what it's supposed to do.
Code:

~ $ cd erminig-ng-0.1.0/
~/erminig-ng-0.1.0 $ python2.5 erminig-ng
  File "erminig-ng", line 526, in <module>
    syncNewEvents()
  File "erminig-ng", line 505, in syncNewEvents
  File "erminig-ng", line 291, in getNewEventsFromGoogle
    feed = gd_client.CalendarQuery(query)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gdata/calendar/service.py", line 126, in CalendarQuery
    converter=gdata.calendar.CalendarEventFeedFromString)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gdata/calendar/service.py", line 118, in Query
    result = self.Get(uri, converter=converter)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gdata/service.py", line 1050, in Get
    'reason': server_response.reason, 'body': result_body}
gdata.service.RequestError: {'status': 400, 'body': 'Invalid updated-min', 'reason': 'Bad Request'}

If you want the URL called or something, please inform me of what variables to print where.

/P

lorelei 2010-02-03 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 508369)
Still using old version, but I believe the below isn't changed in the later release (correct me if my assumption is a mother). Until now, the thingy has been doing what it's supposed to do.
Code:

~ $ cd erminig-ng-0.1.0/
~/erminig-ng-0.1.0 $ python2.5 erminig-ng
  File "erminig-ng", line 526, in <module>
    syncNewEvents()
  File "erminig-ng", line 505, in syncNewEvents
  File "erminig-ng", line 291, in getNewEventsFromGoogle
    feed = gd_client.CalendarQuery(query)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gdata/calendar/service.py", line 126, in CalendarQuery
    converter=gdata.calendar.CalendarEventFeedFromString)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gdata/calendar/service.py", line 118, in Query
    result = self.Get(uri, converter=converter)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gdata/service.py", line 1050, in Get
    'reason': server_response.reason, 'body': result_body}
gdata.service.RequestError: {'status': 400, 'body': 'Invalid updated-min', 'reason': 'Bad Request'}

If you want the URL called or something, please inform me of what variables to print where.

/P

Your assumption that this part of the code has not been changed is indeed correct.

To debug this:

- If the problem is the one I'm thinking about, the problem is now persistent for you, right? (i.e. at every invocation of Erminig you get the same message?)

- could you please follow the following steps and post here the result:

- from the terminal, run
Code:

sqlite3 ~/.erminig.db
at the sqlite prompt:
Code:

select * from config;
and post here the result. I'm guessing that for a yet unknown reason the "last-updated-timestamp" has an odd value, which is out of bound for Google

Palleman 2010-02-03 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 508451)
- If the problem is the one I'm thinking about, the problem is now persistent for you, right? (i.e. at every invocation of Erminig you get the same message?)

Right.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 508451)
and post here the result. I'm guessing that for a yet unknown reason the "last-updated-timestamp" has an odd value, which is out of bound for Google

Looks normal to me. Running date "+%s" now gives 1265202655

What should I change it to?

/P

TA-t3 2010-02-03 15:51

Could this be a problem caused by mixing local time and UTC?

lorelei 2010-02-03 16:52

the iso8601 is supposed to manage the UTC and local time conversions by itself, and I did my best to have all date/times in UTC.

In fact I think that Palleman's problem stems from the hack of creating a symlink to a iso8601 module provided by another package than python-xml.

I would suggest to upgrade to erminig-ng-0.1.1, which bundles the correct module. If the problem persist, then I will ask you to perform some modification in the code to pinpoint the problem.

thanks

Palleman 2010-02-03 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 508937)
I would suggest to upgrade to erminig-ng-0.1.1, which bundles the correct module. If the problem persist, then I will ask you to perform some modification in the code to pinpoint the problem.

Upgraded (0.1.1). Same error, same value in SQL.

/P

lorelei 2010-02-03 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 509422)
Upgraded (0.1.1). Same error, same value in SQL.

/P

That's bad :(

Let's try to debug it:

Can you please add the following two lines in erminig-ng, at line 289 (just after the line that reads query.max_results = "100000"):

Code:

print "updated_min=%s" % (query.updated_min)
                print "updated_max=%s" % (query.updated_max)

(remember to respect the same indentation as the other lines!)

and post back the output?

thanks

PS: just to make sure: did you remove the symlink to iso8601.py you created?

lorelei 2010-02-04 00:26

As I promised a few posts ago, here are the first screenshots of the GUI for Erminig.

This is still a work in progress and a few things may change, but the general idea is there. Most of the sync functions of Erminig are not tied into the GUI yet: each thing in its own time :)

You will probably notice that there's mention of syncing GPE and Contacts: just to make things clear: those functionalities are not implemented at all for the moment: I just provisioned the GUI so that I can extend the sync capabilities in due time!

As usual nothing is set in stone: if you have any suggestion, I'm open to them, provided they can be implemented!

Main window:
http://imgur.com/c9eMM.png

Google Accounts management (multiple accounts can be defined):
http://imgur.com/PnrRX.png

Start of the "Add new Google Account" wizard:
http://imgur.com/wTeAv.png

feydrutha 2010-02-04 03:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 509615)

Google Accounts management (multiple accounts can be defined):]

sweet! thanks for taking that into account in your design...

Palleman 2010-02-04 08:08

Is the "Google only" going _to_ Google only or _from_ Google only? Maybe you could change it to "To Google" / "To Local" (or "From X") instead? Or make some small blingy arrows to show the direction.

I'll put in your print lines later today and get back with results.

Edit: I just noticed the source column.... anyway, those arrows could (apparently) avoid some confusion.

lorelei 2010-02-04 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 510005)
Is the "Google only" going _to_ Google only or _from_ Google only? Maybe you could change it to "To Google" / "To Local" (or "From X") instead? Or make some small blingy arrows to show the direction.

Yes, I agree that the direction column is highly confusing. In fact I was a bit out of ideas about how to present that piece of information and was counting on the community to come up with a good idea ;)

I will probably end up displaying (as you suggest) "From Google" and "To Google"...

Quanzel 2010-02-04 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 509615)
As I promised a few posts ago, here are the first screenshots of the GUI for Erminig.

Looks nice!
What do you think about autosync and running in the background? Will it be possible to set a syncinterval?