maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [Debian] ANNOUNCE: Easy Debian Turbo-Charged Edition! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=24272)

tolou 2008-10-15 17:25

Re: ANNOUNCE: Easy Debian Turbo-Charged Edition!

Completely other note. Tried the "check: show menus provided by WM ..." something using click/hold on desktop (settings). Don't do that. Now there's no going back. :/ Maybe something needs to change in the release of a new package.

EDIT:
Seems I had to
Code:

~/.config/pcmanfm $ vi main.lxde
and set the
Code:

show_wm_menu=0
to get the menu back.

Bundyo 2008-10-15 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 233802)
My second parameter used to be: 'sudo debian hilda xephwm LXDE startlxde1'

For this version of the app, I had to create a script (/usr/bin/debwm) with this one line in it.

Other than that, we seem to have a winner! No more annoying error messages! (also, the window isn't blank white anymore; I like that)

Redownload it - now takes multiple commands as the second argument. The only downside is that the first has to be with path like that:

Code:

hostwin AppName "/usr/bin/sudo debian hilda xephwm LXDE startlxde1" "What should be written inside"
It even took less code than the previous :)
Code:

- string[] buf = new string[1];
-
- buf[0] = filename;
- Process.spawn_async( null, buf, null, SpawnFlags.DO_NOT_REAP_CHILD, null, out this.pid );
+ Process.spawn_async( null, filename.split(" "), null, SpawnFlags.DO_NOT_REAP_CHILD, null, out this.pid );

la3875 2008-10-15 19:13

From a newbie perspective, I found the install flawless as promised. I have an 810 with a 8Gb external card. When I rebooted I found all in place and went to give it a go...

Impatience with the load times caused a crash and reboot. Bottom line is patience and learning to be comfortable with 'full' debian on the IT. Looks like I have a new learning curve to tackle.

Regardless, great work all!!! Looking forward to watching progress toward v1.0

LordFu 2008-10-15 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 233784)
Well, now I'm going to have to release a new package, with Bundyo's new window opener (to eliminate the LXDE error), Matan's new matchbox window manager (to get rid of the goofy dialogs), and a method for unzipping the package that Matan suggested that will get rid of my need for gnutar as a dependency.

LordFu and darrennewman: Please try this:

Code:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnutar bzip2
Please report to me anything that looks like an error.

That seems to have solved it. The file is extracting on my tablet, as I write this. Thanks! :D

I need to sit down and become more familiar with apt-get. ;)

Edit: Arg, it's stopped at 461MB and says:

Code:

tar:  debian-final.img.ext2:  wrote only 2560 of 10240 bytes
Bad download? Our dsl at the office is slow, so I'll try redownloading it when I get home, this evening.

qole 2008-10-15 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by la3875 (Post 233839)
Impatience with the load times caused a crash and reboot. Bottom line is patience and learning to be comfortable with 'full' debian on the IT. Looks like I have a new learning curve to tackle.

Remember to set your CPU to "Performance" mode...

And, hey, if you think things are slow now, be glad you didn't try the old version. These are actually pretty good speeds now.

qole 2008-10-15 20:09

LordFu: That sounds like something is wrong on your tablet. Bad download? Bad (corrupted) SD card? I'm not sure...

LordFu 2008-10-15 20:24

Yeah, it may be time to reformat my SD cards. The file checks out with winrar.

qole 2008-10-15 20:53

Also, make sure you have about 1.2 GB free on your SD card after downloading.

maacruz 2008-10-15 21:02

I was unable to run anything. When I tryed to run debbie fom xterm, it complained about /bin/ash not found. Solved it by linking ash->/bin/bash inside the chroot

LordFu 2008-10-15 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 233873)
Also, make sure you have about 1.2 GB free on your SD card after downloading.

Yeah, free-space isn't the issue.

I've been using my N800 to transfer data to my SD cards, and my cards often get "corrupted" when transfering multiple GBs of small files; audio, images, etc.

Don't know why, but this wouldn't be the first time it has happened. Thanks for the help. Like I said, it works fine if I put the uncompressed image on the card.

I think I'll go pick up a sdhc card reader. ;)

debernardis 2008-10-17 06:49

I am under the impression that setting swappiness to a low value increases in a significant way the overall speed of debian stuff.
To test such issue, enter as root the following command:
Code:

sysctl -w vm.swappiness=10
(this will change the parameter until the next reboot).
For a persistent change, you have to edit /etc/sysctl.conf .

EDIT. after more precise experiments, I must admit it was all placebo effect :-(

slippy 2008-10-17 17:18

Hi,

Is anyone else running into keyboard problems? On my N800, the HW Debian keyboard does everything (toggle, one line, etc.) except actually enter text in OpenOffice...I type but nothing shows up on the screen. The matchbox keyboard from within LXDE works, but when you full screen OpenOffice, the keyboard gets hidden behind, no matter how you set the layers. I've reinstalled and updated but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks....

allnameswereout 2008-10-17 17:37

:) well done Qole! Haven't tried it yet, but the idea to have this easily available is great.

This also allows users to experience what the performance of a non-hildonized program would approx be. Or how the program works. So before packaging and porting it, you can try it out with little hassle.

I'd like to see more recommended applications in the first post. Applications which people currently miss in Maemo, and which work (reasonably) well or have potential otherwise.

For lightwight browsing for example perhaps Midori is usable. Or isn't it? Reviews would be very useful!

Also, does any additional (or former) proprietary software work? Like Opera? Sun Java?

meizirkki 2008-10-17 18:28

I like midori, flash is even faster than in microb.
Midori uses a lot of memory, is there a way it can limited?

allnameswereout 2008-10-17 20:26

Ah, the disadvantage of choice.

From the benchmarks I read WebKit uses a bit more memory than Gecko. Gecko was faster though (with Tracemoneky) but now both have a new JavaScript engine. You might like Tear it is also using WebKit, and runs native on Maemo not requiring Deblet. Midori probably uses a lot of memory because it runs on Deblet and requires its own libraries (e.g. GTK & Hildon); it cannot use the shared Maemo libraries which are already loaded.

qole 2008-10-17 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by slippy (Post 234335)
On my N800, the HW Debian keyboard does everything (toggle, one line, etc.) except actually enter text in OpenOffice...I type but nothing shows up on the screen.

I think the problem is that you're using the OS2008 version of the Matchbox Keyboard over top of LXDE. You can't do that. The pop-up keyboard only works in OS2008. You have to use the keyboard on the menu inside LXDE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slippy (Post 234335)
The matchbox keyboard from within LXDE works, but when you full screen OpenOffice, the keyboard gets hidden behind, no matter how you set the layers.

That's surprising. I guess I didn't discover that because I never actually run OpenOffice fullscreen in LXDE; if you're going to run OO fullscreen, you might as well run it in OS2008 and save the overhead of a second window manager.

qole 2008-10-17 21:38

This version of Easy Debian has Sun's "OpenJDK" in it; it is very compatible and noticeably faster than GCJ / Classpath, but still not very fast. Also, I've already stated in this thread that Midori works. If you want other recommended Debian apps, there's a thread for that, Debian Apps That Run Well on the Tablets.

overfloat 2008-10-17 23:12

This is the coolest thing to happen to my tablet since i used it to slice bread

sondjata 2008-10-17 23:51

Is it right for the terminal to be showing no feedback while the download is happening?
CPU is just about pegged.

slippy 2008-10-18 00:15

Thanks, qole...that explains it. I was running OO exclusively inside LXDE because it seemed sluggish under OS2008 on the 0.6 version. Now that I try it with the newest version, it's much zippier, and I have all the functionality I was looking for.

Thanks for your work on this, it's brilliant...I showed it to a friend who has an iTouch, and he was crestfallen. :-)

paulmorin 2008-10-18 03:36

Cloned OS to mmc2 no problem. Bootmanager setup correctly. Reboot to mmc2 OS no problem. Ran easy-deb-chroot package and got congratulations msg. Ran debian image installer. Completed ok. ran debian chroot item in Extras. Ran debian LXDE. Debian starts up and displays tree wallpaper. There are no icons at the bottom of the screen so I cannot set any of the options. Tried to modify openhostwin.py as per a previous entry but I don't have it. Why don't the icons display??

sondjata 2008-10-18 04:14

OK...have I done something wrong? I'm getting sh*t download speeds and a pegged CPU. I can download 1.3 gigs in no time flat. What the hell?

BrentDC 2008-10-18 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by sondjata (Post 234458)
OK...have I done something wrong? I'm getting sh*t download speeds and a pegged CPU. I can download 1.3 gigs in no time flat. What the hell?

If possible, open up a new x-term window and type "top" [RETURN].

If wget, or tar, or gnutar, or something similar isn't using the majority of the cpu% then you have a problem...

When downloading the big img.tar file, you should see progress output in the terminal window via wget...aat least thatt how qole had it setup in oldee versions.

BTW, qole, I'm glad you got this into extras finally. Congrats.

qole 2008-10-18 05:17

EDIT: Sondjata: Your problem sounds familiar because it is the same typo! Somehow I got an old typo into my script! Version 0.9.10 fixes this problem.

Sondjata: your problem sounds familiar; I think you might not have wget installed, or it isn't running correctly. I'd be very curious to know what happens when you open a terminal and type:

Code:

sudo apt-get install wget
Please post the results of that command.

sondjata 2008-10-18 12:03

got an error with Apache first. now I get:

wget is already the newest version.

sondjata 2008-10-18 12:07

"Install" is the process taking up the most CPU

claesbas 2008-10-18 12:23

Would it be possible to have a "Loading" notification during the slow opening of any debian app? .. just to know i has not stalled?

allnameswereout 2008-10-18 12:32

Argh! Lately I've been searching for sun-java instead of openjdk/openjre... no wonder I found not more ports... thanks for the clarification.

XTC 2008-10-18 12:47

Since OpenOffice3.0 loads on PC WAY-WAY faster than 2.4 I wonder if this could help NIT's to speed it up.

hbail 2008-10-18 14:23

Is there an easy way of resizing an already existing Debian img.ext3 file? I want to have more room for installing apps and then I plan on moving it to a different location.

Matan 2008-10-18 15:20

When not mounted (and not losetup'd, probably):

resize2fs img.ext3 2g

(replace 2g with the size you want).

qole 2008-10-18 16:04

New version released: 0.9.10

Changes:
  • Fixed mysterious non-downloading installer script (again! sorry! :( )
  • Will NOT trash / overwrite your lovingly tweaked configuration files
  • Matan's new matchbox window manager: movable windows, still positioned correctly
  • Annoying LXDE "Not Responding" dialog fixed (Bundyo's new hostwin app)

Notes:

Even though Matan's version of the window manager seems to work fine, I don't enable movable windows by default. You want them? You need to switch to the new window manager with the menu icon. It is a painless switch; everything shifts around the screen for a second, then returns to normal. Except now you can move your dialogs around! Unlike the CPU settings, this will stick through reboots, until you toggle it again. If you have the old movable windows hack enabled now, you will have to toggle twice to get to the new mode.

If you are upgrading from a recent version (0.9 series), you will not be asked where to put the icons, and your chroot will not be "synched" with your Maemo system. This should further decrease your annoyance when upgrading.

Confession:

There were a couple of screw-up versions between 0.9.6 and 0.9.10 uploaded, hopefully nobody got caught in the several-hour window that they were the "latest version" (It's possible, this would have been Saturday morning in Germany, perhaps someone decided to update over their morning coffee).

sondjata 2008-10-18 21:43

thanks. I'm having a problem with the image once it's downloaded. It claims there was an error:

(Perhaps not enough memory)

Tried it with my cloned OS on a 4GB card as well as the internal OS. Same deal.

Should I try that download again or is this some known issue.
BTW I just installed KDE on another SD card no problem so I don't think it's me being a novice.

qole 2008-10-18 21:58

Sondjata, are you using 0.9.10? Version 0.9.9 fixed your first problem, but introduced a second problem trying to expand the file (I tried to use a fancy technique that didn't require gnutar, and I failed miserably). 0.9.10 fixes that problem by going back to using gnutar again.

Sorry you're the guinea pig in this. Just think of all the childrens' lives you're saving with your selfless testing. ;)

If, with 0.9.10, you're still having the problem, you might need to do this manually and report what's going on to me.

Go to the mmc card where you downloaded the file, and then untar it. Say you downloaded to mmc1:
Code:

cd /media/mmc1
tar -xjvf debian-chroot-img-final.tar.bz2

Copy and paste any errors here, please!

lm2 2008-10-18 22:20

After update to 0.9.10 LXDE no longer loads. All I get is the blank window with "LXDE" at the top.

This occurs even after a reboot.

UPDATE: Nevermind (I guess). While the shortcut to LXDE that I put in personal menu no longer successfully launches LXDE, the menu item in Utilities works.

sondjata 2008-10-18 23:36

No problem. I kinda set the weekend aside for messing with alternate OS's on the tablet anyway. :-)

sondjata 2008-10-18 23:49

I don't see 9.10 listed on your website only 9.9-1

qole 2008-10-19 02:15

Sondjata: please use Application Manager to install new versions of Easy Debian; go to "Check for Updates", and if easy-deb-chroot doesn't show up, press the refresh button on the lower right corner. The versions on my website are now for testing purposes only.

lm2:
LXDE starts with Bundyo's new launcher, and it takes different parameters. So yes, you will have to replace your Personal Menu item with the new menu item.

Scarflash 2008-10-19 02:49

[QUOTE=qole;233515]Easy Debian Without The Apps:

or you can grab the empty image file, extract it to your SD card (eg, /media/mmc1)
hey i'm having trouble extracting the image file using xarchiver. can someone extract it and repost the empty image file.

qole 2008-10-19 02:59

scarflash: the extracted image file is huge, it is ONE GIGABYTE. But because it is empty, the compressed file is tiny. So you have to extract it yourself.