maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   BT Audio problems (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82899)

flopjoke 2012-09-07 08:02

Re: BT Audio problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1262471)
Yes, it's intended as my skills and energy did not extend to drawing an icon for it. But if you look at the desktop file it should be obvious where to put an icon.

perhaps I can make another icon if you like :D

justadude 2012-09-07 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1262471)
Yes, it's intended as my skills and energy did not extend to drawing an icon for it. But if you look at the desktop file it should be obvious where to put an icon.

No prob :D If anyone has a spare minute it would be useful for an icon. Otherwise, no lost sleep. Just glad it works :)

justadude 2012-09-08 06:06

Ajalkane,

Just donated :) please let me know you received.

justadude 2012-09-08 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopjoke (Post 1262496)
perhaps I can make another icon if you like :D

Please? Thanks mate! You too can be compensated if you like :)

flopjoke 2012-09-08 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1262943)
Please? Thanks mate! You too can be compensated if you like :)

aiite.. Can you take a screenshot? I didn't put the BT toggle. Wanna see how it is.

so we got WLAN toggle and BT toggle right next to it, yeah? I'll make it similar to the WLAN toggle theme then.

ajalkane 2012-09-08 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1262942)
Ajalkane,

Just donated :) please let me know you received.

Received. Thank you for very generous donation!

justadude 2012-09-08 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopjoke (Post 1262961)
aiite.. Can you take a screenshot? I didn't put the BT toggle. Wanna see how it is.

so we got WLAN toggle and BT toggle right next to it, yeah? I'll make it similar to the WLAN toggle theme then.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...8_04-30-19.png

You mean the bluetooth toggle icon? Here it is! Thanks for the reply! :D

justadude 2012-09-08 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1262977)
Received. Thank you for very generous donation!

No prob mate! I appreciate you taking the time to finally make this happen after my original post. I'm sure others are appreciative as well.

flopjoke 2012-09-08 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1262987)

You mean the bluetooth toggle icon? Here it is! Thanks for the reply! :D

OK, so.. you already have a Bluetooth toggle icon on the homescreen.. so what exactly am I supposed to design again? O_O

ajalkane 2012-09-09 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopjoke (Post 1263093)
OK, so.. you already have a Bluetooth toggle icon on the homescreen.. so what exactly am I supposed to design again? O_O

Justadude would like a custom icon for the togglebtwlan_harmattan.desktop that I posted earlier. This desktop icon combines Bluetooth BT and ToggleWlanScan into one command. So what he asked for is an icon that is basically a combination of toggling Bluetooth and Wlan scan.

justadude 2012-09-10 05:19

Yep, you got it right! :)

flopjoke 2012-09-10 22:26

See, @justadude he said the same thing you said but for some reason I understood it better when he explained again, I don't know why :D

Alright.. I can design the icon, no prob! Just hang on tight

justadude 2012-09-11 04:32

No prob. thanks mate! :D

flopjoke 2012-09-14 09:34

how's this?

http://flickcabin.com/files/2025_ou25n/wscan_bl.png

and

http://flickcabin.com/files/2026_dso...n_bl%2Boff.png

thedead1440 2012-09-14 11:37

flopjoke, the images are not embedded correctly :p

flopjoke 2012-09-14 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1266238)
flopjoke, the images are not embedded correctly :p

Oops.. looks like N9 browser had some issues.. fixed it now.. thanks xD

justadude 2012-09-15 10:37

Simple, and to the point. I like it :D

flopjoke 2012-09-15 23:02

^ haha thanks!

Let me know if you need any other designs :D

justadude 2012-09-17 08:33

Again thanks, Add a link to download images or just snag them off the post? Also, I know the command in terminal to copy files, but where to copy images to?

P.S Want a little compensation for this? If so, point me to where to donate :)

jalyst 2012-09-18 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1255388)
Right. I think I misunderstood your original posting. I thought it was, because of the scanning setting, asking you for internet connection. But it was asking because you had no connection at all (no GSM nor WLAN).

But like you said, it's good to get different experiences on this so that good solutions for different use cases are found (with or without ProfileMatic).

So to help with that, I'll write here what I understand to be the commands to disable and enable WiFi scanning.

Disable WiFi scanning:
Code:

gconftool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval -t int 0
Restore WiFi scanning (every 5 minutes):
Code:

gconftool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval -t int 300
You should be able to enter these commands directly to ProfileMatic's custom action's to bind them to conditions you wish. Or, of course, run them directly from terminal.

So basically we use this to disable WiFi scanning if needing background connections (email etc) & we're already connected via 3G or WiFi.*
[And re-enabling if we're not connected to the net of course]
And soon (once implemented in Profilematic) we'll also be able to enable/disable this scanning based on condition/state of BT streaming?

Personally that sounds way better to me than having to mess with a toggle button that we must manually interact with.**
This is awesome news!!! Time for another donation soon I think... :)

*actually IIRC WiFi scanning should cease when connected via WiFi right? So scanning only needs to be disabled when connected via 3G or GPRS
**not that what you've done there goes unappreciated, everyone has their preferred usage pattern, & going by this post using both approaches has its advantages!

ajalkane 2012-09-19 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1268517)
And soon (once implemented in Profilematic) we'll also be able to enable/disable this scanning based on condition/state of BT streaming?

I have no personal need for this (no Bluetooth devices) so I'm unsure what is needed and what not. My intent was to do a condition like the existing WLAN/NFC where you could collect Bluetooth devices, so that the condition would trigger when the device is paired.

But I've ran into trouble implementing even that, as I can't seem to get the information about when Bluetooth devices are paired with phone:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86870

So I'm currently unsure if I can implement this to ProfileMatic or not.

Quote:

*actually IIRC WiFi scanning should cease when connected via WiFi right? So scanning only needs to be disabled when connected via 3G or GPRS
I think it continues just the same even if connected, but I'm going by memory here so I can be wrong.

jalyst 2012-09-20 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1269086)
I have no personal need for this (no Bluetooth devices) so I'm unsure what is needed and what not. My intent was to do a condition like the existing WLAN/NFC where you could collect Bluetooth devices, so that the condition would trigger when the device is paired.
But I've ran into trouble implementing even that, as I can't seem to get the information about when Bluetooth devices are paired with phone:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86870
So I'm currently unsure if I can implement this to ProfileMatic or not.

Bummer, I was hoping we could set conditions based on the BT profile being used...
As I'm not sure whether certain BT uses would be affected by WiFi scanning in the same way that A2DP streaming is.
Maybe they all are to some extent? In which case it'd be more prudent to set conditions based on whether BT is: "off", "on" or "on & visible".
I think condition based on whether device is paired or not is way too generic, you usually only need to pair a BT device once :-/

Quote:

I think it continues just the same even if connected, but I'm going by memory here so I can be wrong.
Really? Wow that's so stupid... >.> O-o
Sometimes I wonder what was going through the Nokia engineers heads!

ajalkane 2012-09-21 06:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1269710)
Bummer, I was hoping we could set conditions based on the BT profile being used...

I know really badly about Bt use cases so I gladly listen to ideas to see what's possible. Of course at the same time I'd like to make as generic condition as possible, so that it would be flexible for different use cases.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought having a condition on defined Bluetooth device would be such flexible condition.

Quote:

Maybe they all are to some extent? In which case it'd be more prudent to set conditions based on whether BT is: "off", "on" or "on & visible".
That one at least would be possible. But I would avoid such a condition if there are alternatives, since there is action for putting Bluetooth off/on/on&visible. Reason being it could cause unfortunate loops of re-evaluating the rules.

Quote:

I think condition based on whether device is paired or not is way too generic, you usually only need to pair a BT device once :-/
I see, thanks for that. Shows how little I know of using Bluetooth. I thought pairing is like connecting the devices. Unfortunately I see nothing in the APIs to detect when a Bluetooth device is connected. I did see such message in D-Bus, but that won't help if I can't catch the D-Bus messages.

slarti 2012-09-21 08:03

ajalkane, if you want, I could donate an old Nokia BH-111 bluetooth receiver (without the headphones). I have no use for it and since I assume we both live in Finland it would cost me nothing to send it to you. Let me know if you think that might help. No strings attached.

ajalkane 2012-09-21 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by slarti (Post 1269926)
ajalkane, if you want, I could donate an old Nokia BH-111 bluetooth receiver (without the headphones). I have no use for it and since I assume we both live in Finland it would cost me nothing to send it to you. Let me know if you think that might help. No strings attached.

Thank you, that is very generous. Unfortunately I don't think it helps me at the moment. I do luckily have more than one Harmattan based device with Bluetooth, thanks to Nokia, so I can use them to test Bluetooth connection/pairing. My main problem is that I don't have any practical use cases, so I might not properly understand how Bluetooth is used with different devices. I'm just making educated guesses.

But I think that can be worked around with users input of how they use their devices, and correcting on my mistaken assumptions.

The biggest practical issue is right now that I can't seem to detect when a Bluetooth device is connected with the phone. I'm pretty sure it's something about my code and I hope to figure it out... But any pointers to some code about how to detect arbitrary Bluetooth devices connected to N9 is appreciated.

jalyst 2012-09-22 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1269900)
I know really badly about Bt use cases so I gladly listen to ideas to see what's possible. Of course at the same time I'd like to make as generic condition as possible, so that it would be flexible for different use cases.

TBH I'm not sure of too many others either, I know there's many other uses/profiles, but I only use a tiny fraction of them regularly.
Perhaps if I dug-up some more info. on BT profiles that would help?

Quote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought having a condition on defined Bluetooth device would be such flexible condition.
Maybe, I just thought conditions based on use-case (i.e. profile being used) would be slightly better, but maybe it isn't.

Quote:

That one at least would be possible. But I would avoid such a condition if there are alternatives, since there is action for putting Bluetooth off/on/on&visible. Reason being it could cause unfortunate loops of re-evaluating the rules.
Oh I see, I hadn't considered that, hmmm...
Maybe some sort of check can be devised to warn users that they're creating a rule which will cause issues?
Or maybe that check could prevent them from creating that rule, PERIOD?

Quote:

I see, thanks for that. Shows how little I know of using Bluetooth. I thought pairing is like connecting the devices.
At least that's my understanding of pairing, it's usually a once-off affair AFAIR.

Quote:

Unfortunately I see nothing in the APIs to detect when a Bluetooth device is connected. I did see such message in D-Bus, but that won't help if I can't catch the D-Bus messages.
Bummer, I wish I could help more there but my knowledge gets rather murky when it comes to D-Bus & the relevant API's :(

justadude 2012-09-22 20:53

@Flopjoke,

Got a minute to answer post #99? Cheers!

ajalkane 2012-09-25 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1270689)
TBH I'm not sure of too many others either, I know there's many other uses/profiles, but I only use a tiny fraction of them regularly.
Perhaps if I dug-up some more info. on BT profiles that would help?

I will continue in ProfileMatic's thread as I'm getting awfully off-topic for this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=755