maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OpenMobile demos ACL for MeeGo, promises 100% compatibility with Android apps (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=77456)

don_falcone 2013-05-01 10:24

Re: OpenMobile demos ACL for MeeGo, promises 100% compatibility with Android apps

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1340385)
If you really need to run android applications, you should run them in android device. What kind of applications you think are missing for Harmattan?

I bet that Harmattan has no more applications available than Fremantle. And there is a sh*tload missing. Audio/Office/PIM/Games/Navigation etc.

mikecomputing 2013-05-01 10:45

Re: OpenMobile demos ACL for MeeGo, promises 100% compatibility with Android apps

No one needs crappy bloated android apps on Sailfishos, Webos, UbuntuTouch, BB10 or Harmattan.

1. What we need is better coders who understands Qt/QML to make more cool apps.

2. Android is old! Qt(Quick) is fresh.

And no don't try convince me that blablabla app does only exist on Android because then I will point you back to 1.

Fallenzone 2013-05-01 11:57

AVD is the worst simulator I've ever uesd .........

justadude 2013-05-01 14:53

Quote:

What's with this obsession of people to have Android applications running on N9? Is it just some app envy, "I want to have 800000 applications for my device becuse my friends laugh at me"

If that's the reason, then it is totally wrong reason and the adjustment is needed in your head, not on the device.

If you really need to run android applications, you should run them in android device. What kind of applications you think are missing for Harmattan?

No obsession here. If I were obsessed with Android, I would be running an android device. I like many others would appreciate a few more options, who wouldn't? it's not needed but appreciated. You might as well bash anyone who has an emulator because they are obsessed with playing games outside of their OS and have an 800000 game envy. Bash anyone who recently installed the Hydra widget platform because they would like to try some firefox stuff. Bash those who port apps from other OS's because it didn't originally come on the N9. Who cares. I like the fact it can all be done on the N9. That the flexibility is there. Not many can say that for their device.

I would like to see any ACL come to fruition not because of how cool Android is, rather that finally someone committed "taboo" and broke the app barrier. It takes some balls to do so.

There is only one android app I'm after and that is the F1 app. Not the live timing one, but the one with track positioning, nice gui, etc. But who knows what other ones I might appreciate if the option was there. So far I have everything I need with my N9.

wicket 2013-05-01 15:37

Quote:

What's with this obsession of people to have Android applications running on N9? Is it just some app envy, "I want to have 800000 applications for my device becuse my friends laugh at me"

If that's the reason, then it is totally wrong reason and the adjustment is needed in your head, not on the device.

I'm not interested in running Android apps per se, however I do have an interest in the ability to run Android apps because:
a) I think it's cool hack,
b) As someone who prefers to carry around a GNU/Linux mobile computer, I am frustrated by the lack of choice when it comes to finding an N900 replacement (something with more RAM) and I think there could be some potential to disrupt Android dominance if it was made easy to run Android apps on a GNU/Linux OS. The big OEMs mostly choose to ship Android for it's app catalogue and are always looking to differentiate.

There was some build up prior to Phoenix International Communications' announcement from an HP employee who said to expect some "huge" webOS news. As a TouchPad owner I followed with interest only for it to end in disappointment. Closed solutions such as Alien Dalvik and OpenMobile's ACL are of little interest to me as they only serve to help a minority.

P.S. Couldn't OpenMobile come up with a better name? Linux already supports Access Control Lists!

Kaacz 2013-05-06 22:35

@mikecomputing @juiceme I don't know where you live, but in smaller countries on N9/Harmattan are missed native apps for national services - e.g. public transport info, bank access & etc. This apps exist only for major mobile OS (iOS, Android, liitle for WP). For this case we need Andrid app executor.

juiceme 2013-05-07 05:00

Well, lucky for me there exists a nice Helsinki public tranport app for N9/Harmattan, called Meegopas. As for banks, I use the normal browser interface, I've never even tried banking applications so I do not know if they are any good :D

I woud assume that the interface to get public transport information is open or at least available without authentication/encryption on any service that already has an app for android. It should be no problem to write an application for any platform using that interface.