maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   maemo & MeeGo folks at BlackBerry Jam World Tour 2012 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84505)

helex 2012-05-26 09:52

maemo & MeeGo folks at BlackBerry Jam World Tour 2012

BlackBerry is currently organizing a BB Jam World Tour.

Since BlackBerry will use Qt and qml as one of their main development frameworks for BB10 some maemo developers are perhaps interested in this events.
A good chance for small maemo meet and greetings around the world! :)

I created a wiki page to make a list which members are you able to meet there in real life. Please edit the wiki and add yourself to the list if you are attending a certain event.

Wiki: maemo & MeeGo folks at BlackBerry Jam World Tour 2012

Currently I have only the maemo account and a link to the twitter account in the list. This should be enought to get in touch and find the maemo folks at the corresponding event.

Feel free to add more informations if you need and don't forget to post here some feedback after a event. :)

I know, this is maemo and QNX/BB10 is a competitor, but this list is created to meet maemo members and because of this I placed it in the Community section.

See you in Berlin, germany! ;)

zehjotkah 2012-05-26 14:44

Re: maemo & MeeGo folks at BlackBerry Jam World Tour 2012

When will we meet up? The evening before the event?

helex 2012-05-26 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by zehjotkah (Post 1212879)
When will we meet up? The evening before the event?

I wrote yesterday with wonko some private messages. He registered himself also for the event in Berlin but is not 100% sure if he is able to get to Berlin (depending on his work).

As far as I read at twitter conny is also attending and will try to meet thp wednesday. Perhaps at the evening or earlier, I don't know.

I'm not sure if I'm able to meet on wednesday. This would be great but depends on my mate.

I'm sure we maemo people are mostly all attending the native Qt events. So we could meet at least there, speak during the breaks, having lunch together, give you a hug and so on... ;)

Would be a real pity if 5 maemo members are at the BB event in Berlin, sitting in the same room without knowing from each other. Perhaps we are able to find even more maemo folks for the event in Berlin.

Same goes to the other locations around the world. :)

EDIT: Ah, you got finally a tweet by thp requesting to organize something. Happy organizing, zehjotkah. :)

Wonko 2012-05-26 18:10

Yes, that's right, I also signed up. Would be great to meet some of your guys in real life. :)
Unfortunately, I would be in Berlin just for that day. I booked the night train because I really have not that much time... If I can attend I will be in Berlin at that day from 07:30 to 22:00.
Even if I don't get a device I would love to come to Berlin to finally meet some fellow Maemo members irl. Still, I don't know if it works out for me with respect to time. As said, train tickets are booked I just need to find the time. ;)

I think we could also meet at the conference and maybe go for something to eat or drink after the conference if you like. I would just need to get my train back. ;)

I also have to confess that I do not have a Twitter account yet. But I could create one if this eases coordination.

I hope everything works out. Looking forward to meeting you guys. :)

conny 2012-05-26 19:43

Looking forward to see you all there. Wonko, would be nice to see you there as well - I think I still owe you a beer (something to do with MeePassword, but can't really remember :))

If I remember correctly, the event starts around 1pm so there might be time in the morning. Personally I should be able to come to Berlin the day before already.

helex 2012-05-26 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by conny (Post 1212992)
If I remember correctly, the event starts around 1pm so there might be time in the morning. Personally I should be able to come to Berlin the day before already.

Oh, no. At least, the event in Berlin is a whole day event! Only the Breakout Sessions (native development or html5 stuff) are starting at 1:30pm!

Quote:

Agenda

Thursday, June 28, 2012
8:30 AM - 9:30 AM
Onsite Registration Opens

9:30 AM - 10:00 AM
Welcome Keynote

10:00 AM - 10:45 AM
BlackBerry®10 Architecture Overview (BB01)

10:45 AM - 11:00 AM
Break

11:00 AM - 11:45 AM
BlackBerry10 Experience Overview (BB02)

11:45 AM - 12:30 PM
App World Monetization and Platform Services, Including Enterprise App World (BB03)

12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Lunch and App Pitches

1:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Breakout Sessions

3:00 PM - 3:15 PM
Break

3:15 PM - 4:45 PM
Breakout Sessions

4:45 PM - 5:30 PM
BlackBerry10: Dev Alpha Distribution

5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Reception (Final Remarks, and app pitch winners announced)
A long day... :)

conny 2012-05-26 21:53

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification and the agenda.

Bundyo 2012-05-27 15:04

Too far away from me and at very inappropriate times (having a release in a month).

micke.prag 2012-05-28 16:11

Just signed up for the Berlin event. It would be nice to meet you there.

helex 2012-05-28 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by micke.prag (Post 1213890)

You're from sweden and attending the Berlin event? :)

s4br0s0 2012-05-28 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by micke.prag (Post 1213890)

One advise, be carefully, really BE CAREFULLY, who you ask where is berlin.

Greetings.

PD: Sorry to german people.

Wonko 2012-05-30 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by conny (Post 1212992)
... I think I still owe you a beer (something to do with MeePassword, but can't really remember :))

Well, instead of asking possibly stupid questions I rather go with the free beer. ;)

But well, I really hope I can attend. I would really love to see you guys irl. Please keep the fingers crossed for me. ;) The "impacts" in my schedule are coming much closer right now.

vitaminj 2012-05-31 07:45

Just signed myself up to the London one.

Looking forward to asking some questions about the potential Qt Components Symbian vs. Harmattan vs. Cascades (+Android +iOS ?!) cross-compatibility madness.

micke.prag 2012-06-06 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by helex (Post 1214084)
You're from sweden and attending the Berlin event? :)

Yes, I found a cheap planeticket so why not?

helex 2012-06-07 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by micke.prag (Post 1218256)
Yes, I found a cheap planeticket so why not?

Nothing wrong with your decision. I thought there was a event near Oslo, but perhaps I was wrong. I look forward to meet you in Berlin. :)

Before your post I had no idea the event in Berlin could not happen in my native language. Are all BlackBerry Jam World Tour events hold in english?

micke.prag 2012-06-16 08:22

Oh, you scared me there for a while, my german is not that good.

From http://www.blackberryjamworldtour.com/berlin/agenda:
Quote:

Please Note: Agenda is subject to change. All session content is in English only.

helex 2012-06-16 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by micke.prag (Post 1222633)
Oh, you scared me there for a while, my german is not that good.

From http://www.blackberryjamworldtour.com/berlin/agenda:

Oooh, holy sh*t. :D

I overseen this small line. ;) If I had known this before I wouldn't have registered... hmm... at least only perhaps.
But since Nokia has digged their own grave last Thuesday it is better than ever before to attend... But I guess it will turn into a long, hard day. At least for me...

See you in Berlin. :)

Jaffa 2012-06-17 19:28

I went to the London one (with vitaminj, anidel, leinir & Ash from MeeGoExperts).

I'd never really paid much attention to BlackBerry before (I've got a BB4 device with work, which does the job). Short version: if RIM can hold it together, and keep their focus & nerve, BB10 will be the successor to the N9 for both users and application developers (QNX, not Linux, but with some nice UX decisions and lots of swipe).

"Cascades" is their Qt Declarative (i.e. QML) platform. It is not "Qt Quick" and "Qt Quick Components" won't work. So, cross-platform apps will be possible, but they'll require radically different UIs.

The BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device is nice, but it's definitely a developer device. It is only of use for running your apps. Interestingly, RIM have effectively rebuilt the Qt SDK in Eclipse for their "Native SDK". As a Java EE developer, this fits me quite well, and it seems to work quite well in the very initial play I've had time for so far.

MartinK 2012-06-17 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 1223361)
"Cascades" is their Qt Declarative (i.e. QML) platform. It is not "Qt Quick" and "Qt Quick Components" won't work. So, cross-platform apps will be possible, but they'll require radically different UIs.

Well, thats quite a bummer, I expected that at least normal QML would be available. Well, looks like my decision to write my applications to be toolkit independent with support for pluggable GUI modules really was the right thing to do. :)

Anyway, looks like the guys porting Python & PySide on BB10 have QML working just fine:
http://hg.microcode.ca/blackberry-py...MLViewerSample
http://hg.microcode.ca/blackberry-py...s/BlackBerryPy
They might have a custom Qt build or some other tweaks though.

thp 2012-06-17 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 1223361)
Interestingly, RIM have effectively rebuilt the Qt SDK in Eclipse for their "Native SDK". As a Java EE developer, this fits me quite well, and it seems to work quite well in the very initial play I've had time for so far.

Thanks for the summary, sounds very interesting! As far as the SDK goes, is it possible to build/deploy applications from the command line too, or does one have to use Eclipse?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1223382)
Anyway, looks like the guys porting Python & PySide on BB10 have QML working just fine:
http://hg.microcode.ca/blackberry-py...MLViewerSample
http://hg.microcode.ca/blackberry-py...s/BlackBerryPy
They might have a custom Qt build or some other tweaks though.

Wow! Pretty excited about that :)

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-06-17 21:06

I registered for the event in paris , but I was busy on Tizen platform in an other event ... so I guess I lost the opportunity to get a such device ... well this will give me more time on real GNU/Linux platform ...

Anyway I am curious on how easy an existing qt app can be ported to BBX ...

thp 2012-06-17 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr (Post 1223408)
Anyway I am curious on how easy an existing qt app can be ported to BBX ...

According to Conny (@corneliushald) on Twitter, you can do pure Qt/QML-based applications (he ported Plonk to his Playbook) OR you can do Cascades-based UIs (also defined via QML), but you can't mix "normal" QML (Rectangle, etc..) with Cascades or so. Obviously, there are no Qt Quick Components.

MartinK 2012-06-17 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by thp (Post 1223418)
According to Conny (@corneliushald) on Twitter, you can do pure Qt/QML-based applications (he ported Plonk to his Playbook) OR you can do Cascades-based UIs (also defined via QML), but you can't mix "normal" QML (Rectangle, etc..) with Cascades or so.
Obviously, there are no Qt Quick Components.

Well, actually:
https://twitter.com/w00teh/status/172036910578008065
https://twitter.com/w00teh/status/172055353721225216
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEJhMhhnqGo

Also, regarding Cascades, its closed-source, isn't it ? At least I was not able to find any source code (not even on BBs Github page) or license info. So it seems to me a bit like a vendor lock-in. You basically have to write a new UI for you application that won't run anywhere else. :)

EDIT: An update from the BB-P- team (via @BBPyProject)
http://peterhansen.ca/blog/blackberry-py-preview.html

Jaffa 2012-06-19 22:39

Further to the above, I got some of the core, QtQuick parts of Bedside running on my BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device (Details)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7221/...83d86de6_m.jpg

conny 2012-06-24 14:45

So, are we doing the Maemo Meetup on the evening before the BB10Jam in Berlin? Who's comming?

Wonko 2012-06-24 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by conny (Post 1226746)
So, are we doing the Maemo Meetup on the evening before the BB10Jam in Berlin? Who's comming?

Good question. I am still very much looking forward to coming. While I am not 100% sure right now, chances for me are very good, in the magnitude of 99.9%, that I can make it. :)

Btw. is anyone following the Euro 2012? Germany got the half-final match that Thursday. I propose that we can go for a nice bar or pub or so after the conference and watch the game. Maybe even go to some restaurant and have lunch before that. However, my train departs at 22:15 so I most probably need to leave after the first half. :rolleyes: I still hope I have DVB-T reception on the way back. ;)

Looking forward to meet you guys. :)

Edit: Do we want to arrange a time for meeting at the conference/event? Maybe already in the morning at the welcome reception or something like this? Personally, I can still best be reached via classic cellphone/sms when I am on the go. So you could also just pm me and I send you my cellphone number.

conny 2012-06-24 15:35

I will be there on Wednesday in the afternoon/evening, but on Thursday I have to go immediately after the conference so I can't join you then. The game I'll hopefully see back in Dresden :)

I'll send you my mobile number via PM.

conny 2012-06-25 10:11

So a couple of us will meet in C-Base on Wednesday 27th at 7pm. Whoever wants to meet up, please join us :)

Wonko 2012-06-29 15:42

I hope you guys made it safely back home or further to your other endeavors. Personally, I had a lot of fun meeting you guys. :)

For me it was an about 29 hours trip including two rides with the night train and a little sleep there. What I can tell about night train in Germany now is that you seem to really need luck. The trip to Berlin was quite tough as some guys in there were pretty noisy. The way back was quite good but too short to actually be well-rested afterwards. ;)

thp 2012-06-29 23:14

...from the Berlin event:

Blog post: http://thpmaemo.blogspot.co.at/2012/...ry-10-jam.html
Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thp4/se...7630347853254/

It was great seeing you guys again (or for the first time in some cases) this week :)
Also, thanks to Cosimo for organizing the PreJam at the c-base! Really appreciated!

helex 2012-07-01 14:21

Thanks for the pics, was great to meet you, too. ;)

Have you enjoyed the computer game museum Berlin?
We met the same day but in the morning and we saw two playing at the pain station. Very interesting piece of "art", but the woman lost very fast despite the men were way more hurt. ;)

helex 2012-07-14 13:04

Just in case someone is still interested. :)

I needed some days... okay, 2 weeks, but I finally managed to upload my PreJam and BBJam10 pictures: flickr

attila77 2012-10-12 13:19

OK, I'm the worst kid here, (unedited) pictures here. Image shortcomings can be mostly attributed to my desire to play with the creative mode of the 808, if I just let it do 'auto' it would have probably done better :)