maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   PinePhone $149 Linux smartphone could support Ubuntu, Sailfish, Maemo, LuneOS and more (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100760)

deutch1976 2019-06-07 06:57

PinePhone $149 Linux smartphone could support Ubuntu, Sailfish, Maemo, LuneOS and more

Interesting news

https://liliputing.com/2019/06/pinep...-and-more.html

kinggo 2019-06-07 08:57

Re: PinePhone $149 Linux smartphone could support Ubuntu, Sailfish, Maemo, LuneOS and more

Yeah..... Could...... Like so many before.....

pichlo 2019-06-07 09:55

Re: PinePhone $149 Linux smartphone could support Ubuntu, Sailfish, Maemo, LuneOS and more

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1557685)
Yeah..... Could...... Like so many before.....

Exactly.

I wanted to learn more anyway, but not through a big splash across the whole page, with only an option to "accept" (no "manage"):

Attachment 40568

pichlo 2019-06-07 10:08

There is absolutely no acceptable reason for a website like that to use cookies.
None at all.

Why?

Let's consider what cookies are for:
  • Remembering me for the next visit
  • Umm... err... that's it!

I can see why TMO and other sites where you sign in may need to remember you. But why would Liliputing need to do that??? They are broadcasting some information. They do not need to know who is reading. If they want to know, then the first obvious question is why.

Killfile, meet Liliputing. Liliputing, meet my killfile.

Halftux 2019-06-07 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557686)

I wanted to learn more anyway, but not through a big splash across the whole page, with only an option to "accept" (no "manage"):

You need to be relatively fast to stop page loading to prevent the annoying message.
Then you can read the article.

pichlo 2019-06-07 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftux (Post 1557688)
You need to be relatively fast to stop page loading to prevent the annoying message.
Then you can read the article.

Thanks, but no, thanks.
I had 7 cookies from them as it is. I did not click "accept". I left the page the moment I got that popup.

Do I want to spend more time on that page? No, thanks.

vitaminj 2019-06-07 13:07

Press "learn more" then "Reject all" then "Save"

With regards to the actual article: hmm, cool, too big for my tastes, but great that it's having stuff ported to it, more hardware options and support is always good. And it looks real and legit and imminent unlike so many other projects!

robthebold 2019-06-07 13:47

This:
  • PostmarketOS is up and running with support for hardware acceleration.
  • A port of LuneOS is under development. It’s an open source operating system based on weBOS.
  • SailfishOS is at least booting.
  • Another developer is working on porting Nemo Mobile with the Glacier UI.
  • Here’s an image showing the Sway tiling Wayland compositor.
  • And here’s a video showing Maemo Leste on the PinePhone dev kit (without hardware acceleration).

. . . and this . . .
  • 5.95 inch, 1440 x 720 pixel LCD display
  • Allwinner A64 quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor
  • Mali 400 MP2 graphics
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB eMMC storage
  • Bootable microSD card
  • USB-C
  • 5MP rear and 2MP front cameras
  • 4G LTE Cat 4 modem
  • 802.11b/g/n WiFi
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • GPS/GLONASS
  • 3,000 mAh battery

. . . combined would mean I could boot whatever I need at the time -- or just want to screw around with -- without messing around with some temperamental android multiboot thing that doesn't quite work with everything.

robthebold 2019-06-07 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557689)
Thanks, but no, thanks.
I had 7 cookies from them as it is. I did not click "accept". I left the page the moment I got that popup.

I've got an Imperial Gazillion layers of ad-blocking, and something kept that away, but I think Defender on SFOS is sufficient. Not that it should be required in principle, but the world being what it is it's necessary.

robthebold 2019-06-07 15:03

I spotted this on the UBPorts forum:
Quote:

Granted the pogo pin setup works out, I am pretty sure just about everyone will be thinking of making a keyboard case-back.

pichlo 2019-06-07 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1557691)

I've seen too many "learn more" to even bother to try.
Had they said something like "manage", that would have been a different thing.

As I said,
Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557689)

:D

Thanks for reading it for me, though. Turns out I was right. I did not miss anything.

endsormeans 2019-06-07 15:28

Ok ...
Firstly...
Before I think about spending my time...or money...in any possible way ..
I want to see an "end user / purchase ready"
No snake oil...no flim flam ..no flashy promises or hints or whathaveyou ...
I want to see a "purchase here" button...not "invest here" button...not "support here" button...not "donate here" button ....nor a "preorder here" button...
I want to see a proper independent review done...and their appraisal.
I want to see a proper set-up to deal with repairs...refunds...parts...service...

All of which is asking no more or less than asking for what is expected from any manufacturer .

Until that happens...
I ignore start ups ..
The bad ones ...the good ones...
Even the best meaning...
Until they cement their wishes and rainbows into practicality ..
They are just all smoke, mirrors and bull***** until they cough up with the goods.

Until they come through...
I call bull***** on each and every one of them..

And any that do come through...
Do not deserve any contrition from me...
Since they are only doing what they should be in the first place.

As far as the cookie issue...
Yeah...love that...
Totally unnecessary ...and disturbing...considering.

peterleinchen 2019-06-07 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1557691)

Hmmm, where might this info be saved to? ;)

pichlo 2019-06-07 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1557700)
Hmmm, where might this info be saved to? ;)

The World Cookie I.
The Great Cookie.
The Cookie to end all cookies.

endsormeans 2019-06-07 21:57

Ohhh...
I know where it all ends...

In times of crisis like these...
we need a particular kind of superhero
with a particular skill set ..
to handle these dark dark times..
Someone who can cope with the world-wide flood of cookies...
with ease...

endsormeans 2019-06-07 21:58

https://media.giphy.com/media/L84mZKrSkc2JO/giphy.gif

KotCzarny 2019-06-08 11:39

you folks should stop the offtopic of some random page and just focus on cheap, almost blob free linux phone getting ready to relase in autumn. and let me tell you, pine folks deliver. and let me tell you #2, allwinner is crappy when it comes to software support, but luckily open source community made it almost blob free and mainline almost all parts. i'm definitely getting one :)

endsormeans 2019-06-08 13:21

You may very well be right Kot...
Very good points there...
Still.....
until impartial 3rd party reviews are in. ...
until the necessary structure is set up ...support ...service...etc.
until the device is on the literal shelf for sale...
I don't believe a freakin' word anyone says about anything in the any-behaviour-goes ...wild west.. of the mobile world.
I don't care if it has an endorsement by the Holy See vouching for the honesty of the manufacturers ..
It isn't up to me to blindly believe and be a sucker...
It is up to the peddlars to deliver.

pichlo 2019-06-09 07:53

What endso said.

Plus, "offtopic"? Can you point to a single off-topic post in this thread?

KotCzarny 2019-06-09 07:59

for example:

The World Cookie I.
The Great Cookie.
The Cookie to end all cookies.

and everything not related to the news of the hardware/software. which as i repeat is great news

kinggo 2019-06-09 08:37

So..... How is disliking cookies offtopic in a world of freedom and privacy?
If you really don't get what he mean with that post than this possible phone is not for you anyway.

KotCzarny 2019-06-09 08:43

*looks at the topic* unlocked linux phone that can run _maemo-leste_ and other free OSes, with physically switchable radios. *case closed*. if you like to continue the offtopic, feel free

pichlo 2019-06-09 08:52

"looks at the response" Narrow mind "case closed". If you like continue acting offended feel free.

In the unlikely case that you did not explode after the first line and managed to get as far as here.

Context, my friend.

Context is always topical.

I am not saying that the use of cookies on the Liliput website totally discredit the content but they definitely should be seen as a red flag. Show me a more reliable source of the same information and we can discuss it. Until then, this whole thread is nothing but a lot of hot air anyway.

KotCzarny 2019-06-09 09:28

i've dabbled with allwinner socs for a few years now, and thanks to great community at linux-sunxi they have one of the best linux support. as for the phone itself, it comes from a company that already delivered good SBCs and a laptop. and they are not going to stop. they are not one-off kickstarter cashgrab event, and since they were quite successful with previous projects, the phone is going to be real too. for those that can't google themselves:

https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone
https://www.pine64.org/blog/
http://linux-sunxi.org/A64
http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlin...#Status_Matrix

r0kk3rz 2019-06-09 09:44

Some people in here are just hard to please, these guys have at least shipped a bunch of well working devkits to people which is interesting enough in itself.

It's not often you see people getting things like sailfish and nemo up and running without something like libhybris and android drivers.

https://twitter.com/neochapay/status...90089364164609
https://twitter.com/adampigg/status/1131962696100974592

endsormeans 2019-06-09 10:14

All "start-up" angst aside...
I do indeed hope they come through with the vaunted promises they have stated..
And if indeed the phone's sale price is as stated ...
Then I very well will buy one.
But...as I have said before...
"Until... (insert previous statements here)"...
Still applies.

Yes ...they have a decent proven track record so far....
So did Nokia...more so in fact...and where are we now as a consequence of it?
Same with many other businesses with even more stable a track record.
Anyway...I hold nothing against pine...nor anyone else.
I will patiently wait for the device to be done...and the verdict in...
Then decide upon whether or not it is worth another thought or a penny towards one.

As far as "Cookiegate" goes...
I just find it hilarious that an endeavour such as it is...
On their site...
Is cookie-fied...

Ah...
Ok stopped laughing ...
Now...
If everyone can please ...please...please...
Slow down in the responses here...
I am finding it a little overwhelming trying to track you all..

HtheB 2019-06-09 10:31

Fx(tec) Pro 1 ftw

endsormeans 2019-06-09 10:36

https://giphy.com/gifs/eye-roll-ryan...h-54PaD9dWT0go

ravelo 2019-07-27 05:46

Now this is some great news about this phone with an official timeline:
https://ameridroid.com/blogs/ameribl...ls-from-tl-lim
In short:
100 prototype developer units will be produced in August.
Production of 1000-2500 units for early adopters without installed OS will start in October.
Production with finished OS will start in March 2020 or later (if OS is available by then).

kinggo 2019-07-27 08:27

Code:

If at least one OS distribution is not ready by February, this will delay general availability production
so, they have no idea which OS will be default but they will not make phones until that nevermindOS isn't ready :rolleyes:

robthebold 2019-07-27 14:48

Anyone having trouble registering on the Pine64 forums? Either they're not sending or I'm not receiving the confirmation email . . .

aspergerguy 2019-07-27 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1558659)
Anyone having trouble registering on the Pine64 forums? Either they're not sending or I'm not receiving the confirmation email . . .

Returned instantly to "Junk" folder.

mikecomputing 2019-08-25 13:42

Interesting discussion about pine64 on:

https://youtu.be/75JCvHbPS-A?t=3590

jellyroll 2019-09-05 19:15

https://www.pine64.org/2019/09/05/se...shipping-soon/

olf 2019-09-05 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellyroll (Post 1559990)

"Funny" how those dates align with the new timeline for the Librem. ;)

Kabouik 2019-09-06 07:31

I had no idea the PinePhone could run so many OSes and be so inexpensive. I did not read the article fully (yet; I am at work), just checked the videos quickly, but it looks like a very interesting option for those who want something flexible. Are all OS really working (I know some are still alpha, but I am wondering if the features already developed all work on the PinePhone)? Very interested in having one of those devices, not for daily use (aiming at F(x)tec Pro¹ instead), but for tinkering.

kinggo 2019-09-06 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1560018)
I had no idea the PinePhone could run so many OSes and be so inexpensive. I did not read the article fully (yet; I am at work), just checked the videos quickly, but it looks like a very interesting option for those who want something flexible. Are all OS really working (I know some are still alpha, but I am wondering if the features already developed all work on the PinePhone)? Very interested in having one of those devices, not for daily use (aiming at F(x)tec Pro¹ instead), but for tinkering.

you know what they say about things that sounds too good to be true :)

Kabouik 2019-09-06 09:02

No problem, I can wait and see if they are true. I'm happy to take some risks sometimes too. :>

TheKit 2019-09-06 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1560018)

The catch is that they don't develop OSes themselves, but instead came with a hardware that can run mainline kernel and provided devkits to the developers of those projects. If you check the article fully, software is far from fully functional yet and first batches are aimed at developers/tinkerers. But great progress is made so far and it should get good support eventually, as alternative OS projects are also interested to have inexpensive devices to run them on without relying on hacky Android bits.

theonelaw 2019-09-07 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKit (Post 1560066)
The catch is that they don't develop OSes themselves, but instead came with a hardware that can run mainline kernel and provided devkits to the developers of those projects.

And that is the very best alpha-marketing tactic there is.

Let us hope they get the traction they need