maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Camera phone competition March 2017: Chaos/Order (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99027)

juiceme 2017-03-01 20:54

Camera phone competition March 2017: Chaos/Order

I have selected Order/Chaos for the theme of this month!
You are free to express your view of the world through any contrasting themes that fit the description; provided you can explain it away convincingly :p

Same rules apply as on previous rounds (copy-pasta from before):

Photos must be taken during this month
Photos must be taken by the posting member
Photos must be taken with a camera phone
Users post only one photo per entry
Users can change the entry only once
Users must name the phone they used (OS/software would be nice too)

Last three days of this month are for voting. Have fun and enjoy.

pichlo 2017-03-01 21:00

Re: Camera phone competition March 2017: Chaos/Order

Is just one or the other not good enough? I can take a pic of my daughter's room anytime for the ultimate demonstration of entropy.

juiceme 2017-03-01 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1524533)
Is just one or the other not good enough? I can take a pic of my daughter's room anytime for the ultimate demonstration of entropy.

I'd like to see both sides of it in one picture to qualify.
If you can fit your daughter somehow in superposition between the states it'd be just perfect! :D

robthebold 2017-03-09 04:29

Quote:

True story: On our Tuesday after-school frogurt date, my daughter was asking about this month's photo contest theme. After I explained what "chaos" was, she said: "you could take a picture of my room". After I finished laughing both at the idea and the coincidence, I said, "no, another member already had that idea, and there needs to be a little order there as well."

Her reply to that was: "I could clean half of it!"

juiceme 2017-03-09 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1525078)
Her reply to that was: "I could clean half of it!"

Indeed, that would be an acceptable competition entry then!

delmar 2017-03-09 12:23

Quote:

Same here.

Maybe we should start a competition about which daughter's room is more chaotic.

Half-Life_4_Life 2017-03-09 18:22

My sister's room before she moved to another place... But can't really take a photo of it now since it's empty. I need to somehow take a photo of my life right now, half of it is ok but the other half is not lol.

juiceme 2017-03-26 19:24

Since there's no entries yet. I'll throw in something that is easy to surpass. :D

"Chaos Artists", taken by Jolla sbj1
http://www.swagman.org/juice/20170326_162816.jpg

robthebold 2017-03-28 21:18

Order amongst chaos.

http://i.imgur.com/OlKbnqA.jpg

Spring break for the kids this year corresponded with my wife's annual medical conference in Orlando.

The setting of this particular photo is the Disney Animal Kingdom Park right outside the Mount Everest roller coaster. Huge crowds are everywhere at peak times in the Disney parks complex. But for really popular rides, there's the "fastpass" system. This allows you to book a ride for a one-hour time period hours, days, or even weeks in advance. But in the midst of the crowds, how do you even find the end of the fastpass line? The answer is, when crowds are truly massive, an actual human being stands with a sign at the end of the line, advancing and retreating as needed -- in this case, it's the man in the scarlet tunic who provides the order in the chaos.

BTW, the same sign-holder system is used on particularly busy pedestrian thoroughfares to urge guests to walk on the right when traversing an area in the parks. (Visitors come from all over the world, after all.) I would have liked to get a picture of the "walk right" sign but, you know, it was too chaotic. Seriously.

BTW[2], the man in the orange Nike "vapor" baseball cap seems to be using the reservation system on his phone as the photo was shot. I didn't notice that at the time.

Edit 3: OnePlus X, SFOS, stock camera.

Macros 2017-03-28 22:17

Workplace

To the left: My workplace a tiny island of order fighting against ...
To the right: My fathers RC fiddling place, includes the PC
Above: Stuff left behind from a previous employee

Taken with my Nokia 808 Pureview.

https://testem.duckdns.org/Images/Or...2017-03-28.jpg

Now that I finished university I have time to win the fight ;)

pichlo 2017-03-29 05:03

@robthebold, what phone did you take the pic with?

robthebold 2017-03-29 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1526096)
@robthebold, what phone did you take the pic with?

Sorry, forgot to add that. OnePlus X, SFOS, stock camera.

catbus 2017-03-29 16:25

Fence

The fence is in order, other things not...

http://huispaus.ucs.fi/tmp/17030017.jpg

Phone and camera N9 as usual...

robthebold 2017-03-31 20:50

Only 4 entries, and it's March 31. Anyone want extra time to find a little order in the chaos of their lives (or vice-versa, lucky you)? Or should we start voting a little late?

mosen 2017-03-31 21:03

i vote extend for april.
It is not 100% fair for the already existing nice entries i guess.
But i for one have thought several times about doing a shot for chaos/order and still hope to get a decent one.
My daughter stepped out of shooting her room half cleaned up for privacy concerns :D

chenliangchen 2017-03-31 22:08

Or we can extend and merge the topic with "Daughter's Room"... :D

juiceme 2017-04-01 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1526223)
Or we can extend and merge the topic with "Daughter's Room"... :D

That would be another topic, a good one I admit but not the same. :D
(and I could not partake in that since I only have a son...)

Macros 2017-04-01 06:22

But consider, extending the deadline for this month steals you time to think over next months theme ;)

catbus 2017-04-02 11:59

What ever you decide and when... my vote goes to #3, Macros... Done.

Macros 2017-04-02 13:23

I vote for #2 robthebold.
Although I have difficulty finding order there ;)

#4 catbus has a close second place.

vetsin 2017-04-02 15:50

I vote for Macros. :)

shanttu 2017-04-03 16:43

#2 robthebold

So much chaos here that I couldn't participate.

theonelaw 2017-04-04 03:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetsin (Post 1526331)
I vote for Macros. :)

me too
10ch

mr_pingu 2017-04-04 08:55

I vote for Macros :)

Macros 2017-04-04 09:54

As we are already way overdue
I opened a thread for next months theme so you can start planning and capturing right now.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...33#post1526433

Have fun

juiceme 2017-04-04 16:54

Well, as it happened I did not get to vote at all this time :(

Maybe that is only best since this was my pick for topic... I would have liked to see more entries but maybe it was just the wrong time to arrange tho competition... I hope the April topic attracts more people in!

So, the final poll was;
Macros, 4 votes (catbus, vetsin, theonelaw, mr_pingu)
robthebold, 2 votes ( Macros, shanttu)
juiceme, 0 votes
catbus, 0 votes

It's of course too late to cry over spilled milk and I have no excuse for being late except having had immense workload lately, but anyway for posterity here's my "light scrutiny" again on the competition entries;

#1. juiceme, Jolla 1, "Chaos Artists"
The disadvantages of poor optics become evident on this kind of capture where the dark tones dominate; sharpness is quite bad and the image appears a bit blurred. Image is fairly flat with all interesting detail on one plane. Colours come out nicely and make an interesting pattern. The main subjects, artists are captured immersed in their craft. Small details in the surroundings give out hints of the urban environment
#2. robthebold, OnePlus X / SFOS, "Spring Break in Park"
Lots of interesting detail in multiple levels, the "order" part neatly surrounded with the "chaos" part all around it, very good idea. Leaves in trees are partly burnt through but not distracting. Bonus points for fitting so many people in the frame.
#3. Macros, Nokia 808 Pureview, "Workplace"
Good setting, the contrast between the tidy and chaotic desks is well presented. The angle of the picture is a bit so-and-so, altough it does create good lead lines it is difficult to capture an overall balanced and pleasing image this way. It seems to me the image is not as sharp as one would expect from a capture with 808?
#4. catbus, N9, "Fence"
The fence is nice symmetric backdrop, even though the road behind is all the way burned. The chaotic elements should perhaps be even more unorderly to illuminate the idea to fullest. Good massing, density increases evenly towards the right edge.
My vote this month would have gone to @robthebold.

Macros 2017-04-04 18:36

Thank you for rounding it up juiceme.
It was just, that I didn't know when you would be back, as you also missed starting the voting phase. So I started the topic while being two votes ahead. As you have done the roundup, nobody stops you from including your vote. (I too would have preferred not to crown myself)

The angle on my picture was forced by the wall behind me.
The poor sharpness comes from missing light. Like every phone the 808 looses quite a bit of quality in bad lighting, even the Xenon flash doesn't help if the object is further away than a meter. I could have waited till the next morning, missing the deadline, but who knows how far the chaos would have spread by then ;)

catbus 2017-04-04 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1526443)
Well, as it happened I did not get to vote at all this time :(

S..t häppens...

Quote:

#4. catbus, N9, "Fence"
The fence is nice symmetric backdrop, even though the road behind is all the way burned. The chaotic elements should perhaps be even more unorderly to illuminate the idea to fullest. Good massing, density increases evenly towards the right edge.

Thanks. That was my idea to show that if you go too much right there is chaos... Left also... And behind every chaos is the fence (not a woman). Also... Winter is coming... ;)

FYI That burned thing behind fence is snow, not road ;)