maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Will Garnet VM run on Maemo 5 / the N900? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31828)

jow 2009-09-18 05:15

Will Garnet VM run on Maemo 5 / the N900?

Greetings - before I pre-order an N900, I wondered if anyone knows if Garnet VM runs on Maemo 5?

The Access site: http://www.access-company.com/produc...net/index.html
only mentions the old Nokia tablets and older Maemo versions.

If anyone could either give the thumbs up so I can go for it, or save me some time and money on an experiment destined to fail - I'd be grateful.

All the best...jw

jow 2009-10-12 00:22

Re: Will Garnet VM run on Maemo 5 / the N900?

Thought I'd try to answer my own question.

The answer isn't a surprise (now I've learned a bit more about Maemo 5).I had no real hope it'd work, but you learn trying, right?

Thanks to the wonderful Nathan, I setup the Maemo 5 SDK via his VPC image on an XP Notebook

See these threads
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32537
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31141

I downloaded the Garnet VM for OS2008 and an 810 device inside the Maemo 5 emulator in Zephyr. I installed it from the file having found this:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...cation_Manager

I got the following error: "Unable to install 'garnet-vm'.
Incompatible application package."

As I say, no suprise, but I had to give it a go just in case. Sometimes my bursts of wild/desperate optimism pay off. I'll now see if I can find someone at Access that's prepared to answer questions from a complete stranger!

sorodoros 2009-10-12 21:41

I emailed them the over the weekend, and inquired about support for Maemo 5 and N900. No reply yet. This is something that would solve many problems for me and answer many questions.

javispedro 2009-10-12 21:45

Sigh. The SDK is NOT an emulator!. No wonder GVM doesn't work in there.

That said, I hope they will upgrade it for N810 but I don't know if it'll be upgraded for N900, seeing it's now a smartphone.

jow 2009-10-12 22:40

Thanks, sorodoros. I've tried emailing Access and Nokia (just their customer service). Nothing from Access and a "we haven't been given that info" from Nokia support. Not a surprise really, but I figure it's always worth trying. I hope you have more luck! I also hope more people will start pestering Access for a Maemo 5 GVM beta.

Hi javispedro - I know the SDK isn't an emulator, but Zephyr, which was installed as part of Nathan's scripts, has a Maemo 5 emulator which runs in it, (apologies if I'm missing your point). I have no idea how good an emulator it is, and even if it's stellar I don't seriously expect it to perfectly mimic what would happen on the real thing.

I hoped my attempt to install the GVM in Zephr that might give me a clue to how close it was. A long shot, sure, but in the absence of real info, I'm just trying to get answers for myself.

I fully expect that the GVM would need to be at least compiled for Maemo 5 vs. OS2008, but as I don't know all the differences between them, I really have no idea how much effort it would take to make GVM run on Maemo 5.

So not much progress yet, but I hoped my efforts might be of interest, or at least amusement to other members of this fine forum :)

javispedro 2009-10-12 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jow (Post 344899)
Hi javispedro - I know the SDK isn't an emulator, but Zephyr, which was installed as part of Nathan's scripts, has a Maemo 5 emulator which runs in it, (apologies if I'm missing your point). I have no idea how good an emulator it is, and even if it's stellar I don't seriously expect it to perfectly mimic what would happen on the real thing.

I assume you're talking about Xephyr? It's not an emulator nor part of the SDK.

The SDK is just a collection of utilities and applications compiled for intel/amd processors. No emulation at all (well, there's the ARMEL target, but not designed for actually running things).

jow 2009-10-12 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by javispedro (Post 344902)
I assume you're talking about Xephyr? It's not an emulator nor part of the SDK.

You're right - I had Zephyr in my mind, but it is, in fact, Xephyr. Sorry.

I did mention Xephyr was installed as part of Nathan's scripts. He says it is not part of the SDK in his doc.

I also said I used an emulator running inside Xephyr, before abbreviating what I was saying to "attempt to install the GVM in Zephyr". I now realize I could have been clearer, but at the time hoped people would know what I meant.

Nathan 2009-10-12 23:30

Actually using a vm and Xephyr won't answer this question. Scratchbox is running as x86 code. It is designed to allow a developer to run and test his code which is compiled as x86. Garnet VM would be ARM code which is why you got the unsupported package. ARM uses totally different instructions and does "really" run under the scratchbox.

Nathan
PS Xephyr is basically the "monitor" to the scratchbox emulator.

jow 2009-10-13 00:14

Thanks Nathan - this is very helpful and, again, I truly appreciate all the work you put into the scripts and instuctions to get up and running.

sarahn 2009-11-30 05:13

1 Attachment(s)
The latest version of garnet VM works on the n900
FYI I installed from the command line using "dpkg --install foo.deb"

sorodoros 2009-11-30 05:46

Exactly what I was hoping for. Except I haven't a clue how to install it. Step by step would be helpful unless you think noobs might brick it this way. Thx!

Bruce 2009-11-30 06:21

I downloaded the latest OS2008 package then opened an xterminal (shell), changed to the folder where I downloaded the package, gained root access, then ran "dpkg -i garnet*.deb". The package installed without complaint and the application ran. I was uncertain how to exit Garnet once starting it so I ended up powering off the phone to exit.

sarahn 2009-11-30 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce (Post 400172)
I downloaded the latest OS2008 package then opened an xterminal (shell), changed to the folder where I downloaded the package, gained root access, then ran "dpkg -i garnet*.deb". The package installed without complaint and the application ran. I was uncertain how to exit Garnet once starting it so I ended up powering off the phone to exit.

To quit:

Press power button and then "End current task"

To switch tasks:
Press ctrl + the '<-' key (this is the standard shortcut that works everywhere.)

jow 2009-12-05 23:28

Many thanks to sarahn and Bruce.

In case anyone cares... during install got "maemo-select-menu-location: not found". Apparently maemo-select-menu-location was removed from Maemo 5, but the Garnet installer didn't fail/doesn't seem to be reliant on it.

Now to see if I can get my Palm apps to run in there... :)

gowen 2009-12-06 19:48

I installed gvm on my N900 to run the Audible Player. Audible installs ok but when I try to run it, it crashes out. I had it working on my N810. I'll try messing with the compatibility settings.

DojwqIO 2009-12-08 02:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowen (Post 413271)
I installed gvm on my N900 to run the Audible Player. Audible installs ok but when I try to run it, it crashes out. I had it working on my N810. I'll try messing with the compatibility settings.

Please do let us know if Audible works! This is one the most important applications I'm missing from my old N95 (the others are GMail, Google Maps, and Mobipocket Reader).

gowen 2009-12-08 12:09

I can't get Audible to work. It always throws a segmentation fault. As Audible was the only app I wanted to run in Garnet I'm going to remove it until a native Maemo5 version is released.

What would be better would be for Nokia to write a native Audible Client as per the AudibleReady Program

thedoctor 2009-12-08 21:39

I just installed the deb file using the red pill method and it worked perfectly. now i am going to go get some programs for it. I need a good pregnancy calculator

treofant 2009-12-09 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedoctor (Post 417477)
I just installed the deb file using the red pill method and it worked perfectly. now i am going to go get some programs for it. I need a good pregnancy calculator

Congratulations!:D
I suggest "hey baby" and last "Labor Time". There´s also "PG Calc". All for Palmos.

zehjotkah 2009-12-09 18:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUcwMDkLlJo

but opening an isilo document does not work... :(

Bruce 2009-12-09 22:15

Here are step by step instructions, all steps are performed on the N900.

1. If not already installed, install rootsh. This link has an install button if opened in the N900 browser http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/

2. Open the web browser and open this page http://www.access-company.com/cgi/gv..._form&w=OS2008

3. Enter your information and select N810 as your tablet. Then click submit form.

4. Check your email and you fill find a link to the download site, open this link.

5. You will be asked to agree to a license agreement then provided a download link for the file garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb. Download this file to your N900 remembering where you put it. Placing it in the N900 folder is an easy place to remember.

6. Open the X-Terminal application.

7. Type sudo gainroot [Enter] in X-Terminal

8. Type cd MyDocs [Enter] in X-terminal (substitute any other folder you saved garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb to for MyDocs).

9. Type dpkg -i garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb [Enter] in X-Terminal.

10. Type exit [Enter] in X-Terminal. (This exits the root shell)

11. Type exit [Enter] in X-Terminal. (This closes X-Terminal)

12. You now have an icon for Garnet VM in the second page of application icons.

mhotep 2009-12-09 23:28

Thanks. Worked great!!!!!!!!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce (Post 419754)
Here are step by step instructions, all steps are performed on the N900.

1. If not already installed, install rootsh. This link has an install button if opened in the N900 browser http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/

2. Open the web browser and open this page http://www.access-company.com/cgi/gv..._form&w=OS2008

3. Enter your information and select N810 as your tablet. Then click submit form.

4. Check your email and you fill find a link to the download site, open this link.

5. You will be asked to agree to a license agreement then provided a download link for the file garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb. Download this file to your N900 remembering where you put it. Placing it in the N900 folder is an easy place to remember.

6. Open the X-Terminal application.

7. Type sudo gainroot [Enter] in X-Terminal

8. Type cd MyDocs [Enter] in X-terminal (substitute any other folder you saved garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb to for MyDocs).

9. Type dpkg -i garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb [Enter] in X-Terminal.

10. Type exit [Enter] in X-Terminal. (This exits the root shell)

11. Type exit [Enter] in X-Terminal. (This closes X-Terminal)

12. You now have an icon for Garnet VM in the second page of application icons.

lichtjuergen 2009-12-10 22:52

Does Garnet VM offer the possibility to sync e.g. Palm Calendar via HotSync with the PalmDesktop ?

sarahn 2009-12-11 03:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by lichtjuergen (Post 421793)
Does Garnet VM offer the possibility to sync e.g. Palm Calendar via HotSync with the PalmDesktop ?

I haven't in forever but yes.

khak 2009-12-16 12:22

Hi. Is it possible install g.maps. couse on my N900 doesnt work at all. Press on k.maps or g.maps in Garnet and Message show up " Missing IBM J VM"
Any sugestions ?

TA-t3 2009-12-16 13:34

Google maps for PalmOS doesn't need IBM Java VM. Not the versions I've installed, anyway. Last one I downloaded was just a couple of months ago. Make sure you're not getting the wrong version.

Clubberlang 2009-12-17 04:02

Any chance we could get Garmin Mobile XT to run?

mtjioe 2009-12-21 11:09

Garnet installs in red pill mode and preinstalled apps work. Any other apps I have tried crash. Mobipocket installs, and opens, but trying to open any ebook will crash the application.
Bejeweled 2 demo also crashes. Doesn't even start.
It seems that the Garnet emulator have some serious problems with Maemo 5.

jow 2009-12-23 04:56

In case it helps - I haven't had a chance to try many apps, but so far...

Sync didn't work with a laptop on a wireless connection. When I tried to ping the laptop via X Terminal there was no response while it was wireless. No problem at all when wired.

When I sync'd, Bonsai 4.03 worked well straight away.
So did FileZ 6.8.3, Caltrain+ and NFP 2.5

However Dioplayer and Note Pad close immediately on trying to launch. I didn't persist with Dioplayer as the Maemo one plays all the formats I wanted. No joy with Note Pad yet.

BloodPressMgr runs but my data didn't make it. Should be an easy fix, but haven't tried yet.

Diet and Exercise Assistant 7 didn't come across nor a bunch of other apps, so need to install those and see how they go.

Good luck with your apps!

javispedro 2009-12-23 22:35

FWIW, this is my favourite way of "quitting" the vm. An application called "Quit" that does exactly what it says on the tin :)

Note that this app is basically crashing the emulator (well, SysFatalAlert), so I don't know if it may lose data. I've been using it for a few hours while installing all my apps back and seems to work fine.

Quit.prc

bunanson 2009-12-23 23:56

Ummm..............my experience is quit different. I started to re assess the situation.

I repeated everything GVM on N8x0 with N900, I found out the app installation is eye blinking fast on the N900, whereas installation was slower on the N800.

I follow this, thread # 9 to make an SD card then copied all .prc to /palm/launcher and that is all

Epocrates works,
Merck Manual works; I have to use 64 Mb to install Merck Manual, 32 Mb keeps on crashing.
Zlauncher works
Rescoe explorer works
Wifi hotsync had NOT even failed once, Address/Calender/Todo, sync everytime. I sync'ed with outlook, not palmdesktop

have not tried alarm or sound yet

Googlemap mobile failed to install

N900 1.2009.42-11

bun

javispedro 2009-12-23 23:58

Have to agree with bunanson. GVM works fine for me -- I am surprised even sounds work. And yes, ext3 is much faster :) .

Addison 2009-12-24 00:32

Bun, I'm not seeing why you would need 64 free megs on your internal flash just to have Merck.

The way I have it set, this only takes up 57k from it.

56k for 5MCC and a few others that are all around the same install size as well.

Everything else sits on my external memory card.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here, is that whatever method you're using, it's stupid! :D

Hey, has anyone tried Xkbd under Maemo 5 yet?

That Garnet keyboard I put together a few days ago is a real treat to use.

bunanson 2009-12-24 04:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addison (Post 439780)
Bun, I'm not seeing why you would need 64 free megs on your internal flash just to have Merck.

How do you install Merck? I cannot do it with less than 64 MB, it crashed. I have tried it 6 times.

bun

Addison 2009-12-24 12:55

I tried telling you before but I think you said something like I was lying about this. *lol*

It's actually quite simple.

Takes not even two minutes and that includes the time needed to hotsync as well.

If I see your name logged in, maybe over this weekend, I'll send you a PM and walk you through it.

zehjotkah 2009-12-24 13:28

@ bunanson: please can you try if opening an ebook with isilo works for you?

chakli 2009-12-24 15:32

someone plz make a dummy guide how to install plam apps..esp epocrates, lexi comp, pocket tunes...thx

zehjotkah 2009-12-24 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by chakli (Post 440383)
someone plz make a dummy guide how to install plam apps..esp epocrates, lexi comp, pocket tunes...thx

after enableing the virtual SD card (how to is here on the forum) just put the .prc files in the PALM/launcher folder on your N900.

gowen 2009-12-24 20:33

If you don't mind not running the vm in a full screen mode, you get an X in the usual place to close the window properly.

chakli 2009-12-24 22:55

so i followed this instructions...
To create SD cards slots,

mkdir ~/.gvm/cards #only have do it once
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/0 #SD-1
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/1 #SD-2 and etc
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/2
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/3
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/4
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/5
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/6
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/7

first i installed gvm...then i have to enter this "mkdir ~/.gvm/cards" in x-terminal?...but how the heck do i enter this "~" swirly symbol..x-term just not accepting this symbol !!

also i would really like to install ptunes...when i tried to install it via .prc using gvm--> install ptunes just decompresses and then shuts off the window and nothing happens??