maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Games (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Announce] Nintendo 64 Emulator for Harmattan/Sailfish (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89216)

liar 2013-02-18 14:20

[Announce] Nintendo 64 Emulator for Harmattan/Sailfish

Hey, is anybody interested in mupen64plus for N9/Jolla? Here you will find packages for both devices!

I've made a small demovideo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2-kxhD3ps
and for the jolla phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX2PrHDWzdo

mupen64plus for the Jolla Phone
Code:

here is an rpm including all the necessary modules
https://openrepos.net/content/krnlyn...or-mupen64plus
to run a rom startup the terminal and run mupen64plus like so:
$ mupen64plus /path/to/rom

(old) mupen64plus for the N9
Code:

You need extract the files included in this zip to your phone and install all the included packages:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cdpivnz3l2sn3d2
UPDATE: for users who are using a version from before 28.2.2013: i've forgotten the mupen64plus data files in earlier versions. they are included now, please update (mupen64plus-core) before you play because when you update you will loose your savegames. (This wont happen in future updates if you update now). No worries, if you have played very much you can contact me and i can give you the instructions howto keep your savegames (but it's not worth implementing an automatic function for that).

Now you can launch roms by running
$ mupen64plus /path/to/rom
from the command line.

GUI (optional):
simple, at the moment very basic and ugly gui only for inexperienced users who don't want to run mupen64plus from the command line:
http://www.mediafire.com/?117wbcld78lyrio
ATTENTION: this will only work if you place your roms into the folder n64roms (needs to be created) directly on your device (=/home/user/MyDocs/n64roms/).
I don't have much spare time, so if anyone would be interessted in taking over the GUI part i would really appreciate that. I will help where i can. There are already existing QT GUIs like cutemupen, i think that would be a good starting point.

SOURCE: once i've cleaned this up i'll host it on github or bitbucket or so: http://www.mediafire.com/?117wbcld78lyrio

UPCOMMING FEATURES:
* rumble (done)
* volume control (done)
* configurable input (partially done)
* some graphic fixes in Ocarina of Time (weird green/orange rooms are now rendered correctly)
* some major speepups
* if i am able to fix rice video you'll be able to use hires texture packs like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsuHftfLlCE

TODO:
* configurable input
* rumble (vibration)
* move gles2n64 configuration to mupen64plus.cfg
* volume control
* rice video plugin
* gui to make configuration easier
* gui to change configuration options ingame (where possible)
* bluetooth joystick support?
* multiplayer (+ network multiplayer?)
* bugfixes and more
* your reasonable requests

CURRENT BUTTON LAYOUT (will be configurable soon):
analog stick: left bottom
dpad: at the same position as the analog stick
start: middle of screen
A: right bottom
B: on the left of A and a little up
Z: above B
R: next to Z (right)
L: top left of the screen
C buttons: where the buttons are drawn in legend of zelda ocarina of time

contact: irc.freenode.net username: krnlyng, i'm often on #mupen64plus
https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/...onateCC_LG.gif
have a nice day

waldo 2013-02-18 14:46

Re: mupen64plus for n9

I'm not a dev so I can't help with this but this is very exciting to see

Hariainm 2013-02-22 02:50

Hey! i missed this thread! can you please tell us more about the project state? what button layout are you implementing? emu come with all this features: fskip, hardware/software filters, savegame states etc? do you have a GUI?

HtheB 2013-02-22 09:38

lol @ your username...

great to finally see a n64 running on harmattan!

liar 2013-02-22 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hariainm (Post 1324364)
Hey! i missed this thread! can you please tell us more about the project state? what button layout are you implementing? emu come with all this features: fskip, hardware/software filters, savegame states etc? do you have a GUI?

it will have all those features, i am currently not implementing a gui into the emulator but i think it would make sense have an app which can create launchers for roms

you can see how i impemented the buttons in my video, i'll probably make that configurable though

Hariainm 2013-02-22 17:34

I *REALLY* like your idea of custom button configurations for some games, but we need a generic layout too for the rest of the games. i kinda see you mapped C-buttons into top right screen (ocarina) but can't see anything more, maybe because of transparencies. Did you check this? i like the grey ones.

And about the GUI, well is there any way to tweak the emu ingame? without typing variables in command line at start up, like tweak the frameskip without close the game?

liar 2013-02-24 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hariainm (Post 1324483)
I *REALLY* like your idea of custom button configurations for some games, but we need a generic layout too for the rest of the games. i kinda see you mapped C-buttons into top right screen (ocarina) but can't see anything more, maybe because of transparencies. Did you check this? i like the grey ones.

And about the GUI, well is there any way to tweak the emu ingame? without typing variables in command line at start up, like tweak the frameskip without close the game?

i am about to upload test packages. i haven't implemented many extra features like you mentioned, i'll do that at a later time, for now i'd like get some test results as soon as possible. the emulator should already be very stable though.

liar 2013-02-25 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hariainm (Post 1324483)

i'll add many features, for now i released test packages so you can actually test the emulator on your own phones

liar 2013-02-25 16:55

Re: mupen64plus for n9 [test packages]

i've uploaded some test packages, i'd really appreciate some feedback. more features will be added soon

Bega 2013-02-25 20:06

Re: mupen64plus for n9 [test packages]

Just tested and it worked quite well. Managed to load the games (no crashes) but they didnt work at fullspeed.

Also the controls could be somewhere to be seen because throu little gaming it was annoying to search the right buttons.

Great job so far

Hariainm 2013-02-27 17:02

Re: Nintendo 64 Emulator for Harmattan

Thanks a lot for bringing the emulator for our phones! For being an early version it's working pretty fine with some games, Super Mario 64 works flawlesly, others like Zelda Ocarina of Time presents some framedrops in certain points, missing textures (beggining, link's room), and Zelda Majora's Mask misses several menu parts, making impossible to save the game, and game slows down / freezes at random points and pressents flickering textures. That was the only games i tested so far.

I hope you'll keep working on the project and provide us a button layout like EmuMaster, with custom transparency levels, custom button config, abbility to disable phone screensaver, and a way to tweak the emu (frameskip, FPS counter, screen format, quick saves, and maybe some filters).
Thanks again :)

liar 2013-02-27 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hariainm (Post 1325740)
Thanks a lot for bringing the emulator for our phones! For being an early version it's working pretty fine with some games, Super Mario 64 works flawlesly, others like Zelda Ocarina of Time presents some framedrops in certain points, missing textures (beggining, link's room), and Zelda Majora's Mask misses several menu parts, making impossible to save the game, and game slows down / freezes at random points and pressents flickering textures. That was the only games i tested so far.

I hope you'll keep working on the project and provide us a button layout like EmuMaster, with custom transparency levels, custom button config, abbility to disable phone screensaver, and a way to tweak the emu (frameskip, FPS counter, screen format, quick saves, and maybe some filters).
Thanks again :)

legend of zelda majoras mask is broken in mupen64plus itself, i dont know if i am into the code and r4300 well enough to fix it, many people before me have failed.

Also i think you probably haven't played the game on the console itself, it's not possible to save via the menu in majoras mask, you need the ocarina and your sword to do that (finish first temple).
The menu is working perfectly.

i will surely improve the emulator in the future, considering interface, such that it will be equally usable as the pc version but i am not sure if i can fix deeper lying bugs but i will try at least

Hariainm 2013-02-28 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by liar (Post 1325782)
legend of zelda majoras mask is broken in mupen64plus itself, i dont know if i am into the code and r4300 well enough to fix it, many people before me have failed.

Also i think you probably haven't played the game on the console itself, it's not possible to save via the menu in majoras mask, you need the ocarina and your sword to do that (finish first temple).
The menu is working perfectly.

lol, fail :D sorry
To be honest, i never play Majora's Mask in a real N64, only once in Project64 emu long time ago, maybe 7-8 years, i thought Majora's have the same save system as Ocarina, my bad (i'm used to use quick savestates in every emu i play)

Of course i understand you're making a port of mupen64plus for N9, not a major code rewrite, if it's broken in desktop version i will never ask you for a fix, but i see that flickering textures in both Zeldas doesn't occur in the Windows version.

Again, thanks for your work, I will stay tuned to any news.

An9 2013-02-28 03:44

Sounds very nice, i em not gamer, but trying a bit is interesting what N9 can do, i will find some time to install it! :)

ulyaothshadow 2013-03-02 09:37

hI liar. tried to contact you via private message, but couldnt. Could you please tell me a way to rescue my ocarina of time and majoras mask savegame? thanks a lot

AMD 2013-03-02 10:04

Liar liar pants on fire! This isn't real! FAKE! Lol, just kidding, great work.
Now, Super Mario :p

www.rzr.online.fr 2013-03-02 10:07

thx, btw ask me to rebuild source once published to git

liar 2013-03-02 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyaothshadow (Post 1326349)
hI liar. tried to contact you via private message, but couldnt. Could you please tell me a way to rescue my ocarina of time and majoras mask savegame? thanks a lot

do you have access to a terminal?
if so navigate to ~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/
$ cd ~.local/share/mupen64plus/save/
then enter ls to get a list of files in that directory
$ ls
you should see 2 savegames for every you have played before and after the update.
the old savegames filename should be mostly in capitals, for example:
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA (unknown rom).sra
and the new savegame filename should be someting like that:
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (E) (M3) (V1.0) [!].sra
now you need to copy the old savegame over the new one, for example:
$ cp THE\ LEGEND\ OF\ ZELDA\ \(unknown\ rom\).sra Legend\ of\ Zelda,\ The\ -\ Ocarina\ of\ Time\ \(E\)\ \(M3\)\ \(V1.0\)\ \[!\].sra

and you should have your savegame back. adjust the above line to your needs, i just used common rom filenames

cddiede 2013-03-09 23:16

Goldeneye 007 runs much better here then it ever did under Mupen64 on the N900, this is great!! :D

Have to admit that I am having some trouble with the on screen controls, so having some input options would be great. Even making transparent outlines of the on screen buttons would help keep them straight (kind of like Emumaster does)

jalyst 2013-03-19 06:00

Didn't EmuMaster plan to support N64 too? Great work anyway.

thedead1440 2013-03-19 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1329955)
Didn't EmuMaster plan to support N64 too? Great work anyway.

Yeah its an unreleased WIP; read the last 2-3 pages of the EmuMaster thread to get the whole picture from elemental ;)

Callum.Brierly 2013-03-21 16:40

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an icon for the launcher if anyone's interested.

ulyaothshadow 2013-03-23 00:01

Cd: cant cd to ~.local/share/mupen64plus/save/
Any suggestion? I was so advanced in pokemon stadium then suddenly some misterious thing happened and the emulator says: cant read save file (or something like that). It says it repeatidly like 30 times

liar 2013-03-25 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyaothshadow (Post 1330970)
Cd: cant cd to ~.local/share/mupen64plus/save/
Any suggestion? I was so advanced in pokemon stadium then suddenly some misterious thing happened and the emulator says: cant read save file (or something like that). It says it repeatidly like 30 times

you're missing a backslash: ~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/

but if it happened suddenly maybe there is a bug or the emulator crashed while saving...
do:
ls -lh ~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/
and look at the filesizes
create a backup of the savegame before you experiment any further, let me know if you know more (or send me the savegame, i'll try to figure out whats going on)

ulyaothshadow 2013-03-27 23:12

Sorry to bother you a lot. I just seem to get error after error. I did the commando with the backslash i was missing, and it said: permission denied.
Then i tried the ls lh command and it shows:
"ls: lh: No such file or directory
/home/user/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/:
(then it shows me a list. But some save games are .sra, some are .fla and some are eep and mpk. In my case, it shows: POKEMON STADIUM (unknown Rom).fla
Now that you mention it, the emulator crashed and didnt respond after 20 minutes, so a screen prompted me to close it (mupen64plus not responding, close application?) i clicked yes after waiting. Then i opened it again and my advance was gone. How can i make a backup of the savegame and send it to you? Hope you can help me to recover my savefile. Thanks a lot

liar 2013-03-28 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyaothshadow (Post 1332380)
Sorry to bother you a lot. I just seem to get error after error. I did the commando with the backslash i was missing, and it said: permission denied.
Then i tried the ls lh command and it shows:
"ls: lh: No such file or directory
/home/user/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/:
(then it shows me a list. But some save games are .sra, some are .fla and some are eep and mpk. In my case, it shows: POKEMON STADIUM (unknown Rom).fla
Now that you mention it, the emulator crashed and didnt respond after 20 minutes, so a screen prompted me to close it (mupen64plus not responding, close application?) i clicked yes after waiting. Then i opened it again and my advance was gone. How can i make a backup of the savegame and send it to you? Hope you can help me to recover my savefile. Thanks a lot

this time you forgot the minus before lh :) (put it directly before lh without space between - and lh)
I suspect that the savegame is completely gone, which would be sad :(

ulyaothshadow 2013-04-17 02:11

Yes. I ended completing again the game. Wasnt so difficult after all. Are you going to bring us more updates of this great emu? I hope you are. Thanks a lot.

chiagn900 2013-04-17 18:01

i downloaded mortal kombat trilogy but theres no controls what so ever

cddiede 2013-04-17 18:43

Re-read the first post. The controls are mapped to areas of the touch screen, they just don't have any visible screen presence.

warypopp 2013-05-12 16:14

how to uninstall mupen64plus-audio-sdl. 've tried it dpkg-r mupen64plus-audio-sdl to uninstall

there is a message it will be blocked by a program? What is it

would like get rid of

Complaints about the spelling please at Google :D

andil 2013-05-18 09:16

which games actually works?

paper mario doesnt run but f zero work perfectly....

liar 2013-06-03 08:55

this is currently stalled due to my other projects, i'll pick up work on this once this years exams have passed

HtheB 2013-06-03 20:11

I can't install the core....
gives me the following error:
cant set permissions on './opt/mupen64plus/share': Operation not permitted.

When I create a folder, and chmod 777, it gives the next error:
cant set permissions on './opt/mupen64plus/share/mupen64plus.cht': Operation not permitted.

:/

nokiasempre 2013-08-14 17:06

Liar...you're the man!

This just made my day (yesterday lol)! This was the unexpected brilliant gift to the N9. I read once that it would be hard to port this and not to have high hopes, but this just shows how strong the developers in our comunity are.

Your work is brilliant. Games running smoth, audio is great, i mean, it's just fantastic!

Buttons are the only thing, but if you play for a while you get used to the places they are and play without many issues. I found myself playing Mario 64 and Starfox touching the screen and knowing the places by mind without effort. To see them would be better, of course, but it's already a wonderful job at this stage.

You made me, and a lot of people very very happy by giving us this emulator and by showing the world that in 2013 the Nokia N9 is far from dead and with a lot of air in it's lungs.

You deserve my total respect.
Thanks!

liar 2013-09-18 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiasempre (Post 1367238)
Liar...you're the man!

This just made my day (yesterday lol)! This was the unexpected brilliant gift to the N9. I read once that it would be hard to port this and not to have high hopes, but this just shows how strong the developers in our comunity are.

Your work is brilliant. Games running smoth, audio is great, i mean, it's just fantastic!

Buttons are the only thing, but if you play for a while you get used to the places they are and play without many issues. I found myself playing Mario 64 and Starfox touching the screen and knowing the places by mind without effort. To see them would be better, of course, but it's already a wonderful job at this stage.

You made me, and a lot of people very very happy by giving us this emulator and by showing the world that in 2013 the Nokia N9 is far from dead and with a lot of air in it's lungs.

You deserve my total respect.
Thanks!

i'll update the emulator as soon as i can get to it, i have made some updates to the emulator already (incl visible (optionally transparent) buttons), but the configuration is not very user friendly yet

liar 2014-01-13 19:13

Re: [Announce] Nintendo 64 Emulator for Harmattan

I am currently working on porting the mupen64plus emulator to sailfishos, stay tuned!

odradek 2014-02-11 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1349306)
I can't install the core....
gives me the following error:
cant set permissions on './opt/mupen64plus/share': Operation not permitted.

When I create a folder, and chmod 777, it gives the next error:
cant set permissions on './opt/mupen64plus/share/mupen64plus.cht': Operation not permitted.

:/

same here :(

odradek 2014-02-11 22:27

Re: [Announce] Nintendo 64 Emulator for Harmattan/Sailfish

maybe the package is damaged, can sbd reupload?

liar 2014-11-07 05:58

i have made some progress on the jolla ponne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrMkrFUClmc

n950 2014-12-20 16:24

Hi,

Possible to play with ps3 controller sixaxis?