maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Is this true that the n9 will have flash with fennec ? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74438)

law138 2011-06-29 02:02

Is this true that the n9 will have flash with fennec ?

I'll respond to some of the queries.

N9 has exchange support. We use it internally a lot, so it's in stellar shape.

Qt is easy to develop on. You use QML to do the UIs, which is like turbocharged HTML. Then the additional logic you either code in c++ or python. Really easy. SDK has a one click packaging tool. Development easyness is definitely in the same ballpark as android.

Qt will live on at nokia also in other areas than just Symbian. I think officially the next billion strategy is the one we refer to. More details come later. And I won't go into those.

DLNA stack is there on the device by default, but not in use. We didn't have the time to make sure it works just perfectly, so we'll either roll the UIs out later or 3rd parties can enable it very easily. N9 doesn't have HDMI.

Package management is still debian based in N9.

Fash is supported in fennec, but not in the default browser. We wanted to keep a clear differentiation between "desktop" -alike browsing and mobile browsing. Default browser focuses entirely in one handed use and relaxed browsing, where as fennec just does it all and acts like a desktop browser (tabs and all)

Landscape home is not available as default. You will need to install a theme that pretty much just inherits the default theme and overrides one property. I'm sure that will be available on sales start.

konttoristhoughts.blogspot.com/2011/06/respect.html?showComment=1309244161165#c8807273851 680035486

keflex 2011-06-29 07:24

Re: Is this true that the n9 will have flash with fennec ?

If Konttori said it, I'd be inclined to believe it. It's definitely great news, even if I don't agree with the overarching ideology.

DeeGee 2011-06-29 09:50

I just wonder if Flash supported means Fennec can use Flash if you get the binary from somewhere or if there will be new flash on the device/with Fennec?
In the worst scenario I'd imagine we would need to copy the old flash binary from N900 (it should be compatible with at least the hardware).
Can someone ask Konttori, I don't have a blogspot account.

erendorn 2011-06-29 11:30

Fremantle is softfp and Harmattan hardfp if I'm not mistaken, so they might not be any binary compatibility. But I'm certainly not an expert.

Master of Gizmo 2011-06-29 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by erendorn (Post 1041394)
Fremantle is softfp and Harmattan hardfp if I'm not mistaken, so they might not be any binary compatibility. But I'm certainly not an expert.

Still you are correct on that. In theory, programs not using any floats (or to be precise: not passing floats through function calls) may run on the oppsite platform. But you'd likely get other lib dependency problems as well.

cddiede 2011-06-29 12:27

Wow! I think I just changed my mind about getting an N9! Having a real desktop browsing option on it like I've got on the N900 suddenly makes the N9 a realistic upgrade!

(now to get a keyboard and desktop widgets....)

ammyt 2011-06-29 13:05

I don't give a $#IT about flash, the N9 just looks great either way. If I were to use flash, it will just be on when I'm watching youtube videos. I even try to avoid that since the N900 boils while buffering so, is it really that important to have?
No offense - but people look pathetic in that "Adobe Flash Player 10: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all?" thread.

erendorn 2011-06-29 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 1041454)
I don't give a $#IT about flash, the N9 just looks great either way. If I were to use flash, it will just be on when I'm watching youtube videos. I even try to avoid that since the N900 boils while buffering so, is it really that important to have?
No offense - but people look pathetic in that "Adobe Flash Player 10: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all?" thread.

Music streaming services, corporate web sites in full flash, any vid not on youtube. How can you judge what people want based on your sole use cases?
And what advantages do we get by NOT having flash player?

ammyt 2011-06-29 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by erendorn (Post 1041488)
Music streaming services, corporate web sites in full flash, any vid not on youtube. How can you judge what people want based on your sole use cases?
And what advantages do we get by NOT having flash player?

Mind-easiness.
What advantages do you get by whining about having flash player?

erendorn 2011-06-29 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 1041495)
Mind-easiness.

Bliss through restricted use? There's a perfect device/brand for you, but you're in the wrong forum.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 1041495)
What advantages do you get by whining about having flash player?

Aside from having a strictly positive correlation with actually getting flash at some point, people also get satisfaction from whining. Just today I've seen some guy whine about people whining about flash. But he should have done it in a "I neither like flash nor people that like flash" thread just to be less off-topic.

I'll stop answering after that as it's a pretty useless discussion.

jolo 2011-07-01 00:00

I am working on both Fennec and Flash. We are having discussions with Mozilla and with Adobe. Technically, there is no problem here - it is more business issues. For Flash, it has to undergo certification via Adobe. Let's see if we can get it.

Garcel 2011-07-01 01:34

Hmm... Flash 10 or not. As long as its a mobile browser I'm not satisfied with it. I much preferred MicroB with Flash 9. Just sayin :)

jalyst 2011-07-13 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolo (Post 1042523)
I am working on both Fennec and Flash. We are having discussions with Mozilla and with Adobe. Technically, there is no problem here - it is more business issues. For Flash, it has to undergo certification via Adobe. Let's see if we can get it.

I don't get how Mozilla's able to make this possible through discussions with Adobe?
*edit*
Just realised you may in-fact be speaking on behalf of Nokia, not Mozilla, my bad.

It comes down to Nokia being ready to fork-out $ for a binary for Harmattan.
Nothing to do with "sweet nothings" Mozilla may whisper in Adobe's ear.

Can you elaborate on how you plan to pull-this-off please? :confused:

rentze 2011-07-13 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1050031)
Can you elaborate on how you plan to pull-this-off please? :confused:

I would be satisfied with a simple yes/no answer...

jalyst 2011-07-13 10:14

Yeah... of course ;)
But if it's a "no" I'd want an accompanying explanation as-to-why, to help satiate my rage :D

jolo 2011-07-13 15:11

N9 browser is a fast, mobile browser. Fennec is a full featured browser. We are attempting to get the Adobe Flash app certified for use with Fennec. This would allow users to install Fennec and have flash for it. People who don't want/don't care about Flash can use the N9 browser. We have it working already, but just need to get it certified.

zymo 2011-07-13 15:28

that is a perfect solution! let the customer/user decide whether he needs adobe flash or not. Lets hope you really get it certified!

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolo (Post 1050222)
We have it working already, but just need to get it certified.

is it near final?

erendorn 2011-07-13 16:04

Quote:

N9 browser is a fast, mobile browser. Fennec is a full featured browser. We are attempting to get the Adobe Flash app certified for use with Fennec. This would allow users to install Fennec and have flash for it. People who don't want/don't care about Flash can use the N9 browser. We have it working already, but just need to get it certified.

Any way we can help (by keeping silent or else :) )?

jalyst 2011-07-13 16:06

One of the (former) devs was suggesting that fennec + signed/certified binary could be purchasable by end-user from nokia store.
This would avoid greater expenditure on Nokia's part, but still give end-users the option for recent version/s of flash.

Of course the ideal solution is for Nokia to broker something directly for all Harmattan users.
But this might also be another way to go.....

droitwichgas 2011-07-17 14:52

Quote:

Anybody else feeling a sense of deja vu with Flash 10 & the N900 i.e. Abode had it working but Nokia would never actually pay for the rights to allow it's use on the phone?

Unless Nokia relent and it appears on the N9 on day one of its release I sense it will never appear.

jalyst 2011-07-23 15:21

Hi jolo,

Is this a definite yes or no answer yet? Do you know for sure that negotiations are still progressing?
Many users are asserting it's too late (if an arrangement hasn't already been sorted) for the binary to be included.

Thank-you.

christexaport 2011-07-23 19:15

If Nokia is so stupid to not realize the N900's biggest selling point was its Flash Mozilla browser, that users in the MeeGo target market want desktop browsing and not mobile, and how Fennec's UI and performance was weak against MicroB, I hold little hope for Nokia's future.

The N9 should've shipped with the best web browser in the game, but that's still the N900's territory. Flash is a necessity, or I'll just move from all these ******* mobile OSes and go back to Windows until Windows8 materializes. Nokia put a damper on mobile Linux for no reason.

jolo 2011-07-24 02:56

There is no definite answer yet for Firefox on the N9. We are still discussing how to do it. I am positive, but nothing definitive yet.

jalyst 2011-07-24 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolo (Post 1057130)
There is no definite answer yet for Firefox on the N9. We are still discussing how to do it. I am positive, but nothing definitive yet.

What so there's some doubt over whether Fennec will be included/tested/optimised... let alone flash? :(

jalyst 2011-07-24 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 1056994)
If Nokia is so stupid to not realize the N900's biggest selling point was its Flash Mozilla browser, that users in the MeeGo target market want desktop browsing and not mobile, and how Fennec's UI and performance was weak against MicroB, I hold little hope for Nokia's future.

The N9 should've shipped with the best web browser in the game, but that's still the N900's territory. Flash is a necessity, or I'll just move from all these ******* mobile OSes and go back to Windows until Windows8 materializes. Nokia put a damper on mobile Linux for no reason.

What's wrong with the N9's webkit2 based browser* apart from no flash?
It 'wipes the floor' with other mobile browsers in every metric I've seen it tested against.

Also I've seen nothing to suggest MicroB is "still" superior to Fennec.
There's been 'a lot of water under the bridge' since MicroB's release with the N800.
I doubt it's evolved internally @Nokia at the same rate mainstream Fennec has over the past few years.
Hence why they're going with it, albeit with some "tweaks" perhaps :)

Plus MicroB used the GTK-based Hildon API/widgets (not XUL like most FF brethren)
But Harmattan is primarily Qt-based nowadays...
Then again they could've always done a re-write using Qt.
But I guess that's what they've done in the form of their webkit2 based browser.

I think we'll find the Fennec they "may" include, will have some twks to make more part of the overall UI.
Not to mention flash.....

*Is there an official name for it yet? Make it something cute/cool! :)

jalyst 2011-08-02 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1056900)
Hi jolo,

Is this a definite yes or no answer yet? Do you know for sure that negotiations are still progressing?
Many users are asserting it's too late (if an arrangement hasn't already been sorted) for the binary to be included.

Thank-you.

Jolo any updates? :confused:
Thank-you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolo (Post 1057130)

What so there's some doubt over whether Fennec will be included/tested/optimised... let alone flash? :(

jolo 2011-08-02 20:10

The application development is moving forward in a good way, business discussions are also positive. I don't have a planned date, as we need to get the implementations certified, but I am feeling positive about this.

don_falcone 2011-08-02 21:33

Fennec is ok but slow as molasses too at the same time. If i would find a way to make sure that i could avoid being served the mobile versions of sites _every_ time, i would 'get rid' of MicroB and solely use Opera instead. Even the Opera file dialog(s) and VKB are way better IMHO.

jolo 2011-08-02 21:42

WRT to Fennec, what are you using? We don't have an approved or even unapproved version of Fennec for the N9, so no matter what, you will have bad experience, if you are talking about the N9.

jalyst 2011-08-03 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by don_falcone (Post 1062996)
Fennec is ok but slow as molasses too at the same time. If i would find a way to make sure that i could avoid being served the mobile versions of sites _every_ time, i would 'get rid' of MicroB and solely use Opera instead. Even the Opera file dialog(s) and VKB are way better IMHO.

We have little idea what a Fennec tweaked for Harmattan will be like.*
Plus it's mainly there as a general purpose/kitchen-sink browser.
The integrated Webkit2 based one will be the primary....

*i.e. there may be be some quite significant tweaks.

jalyst 2011-08-03 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolo (Post 1062968)
The application development is moving forward in a good way, business discussions are also positive. I don't have a planned date, as we need to get the implementations certified, but I am feeling positive about this.

Sigh, still so vague that it could easily go either way...
I wish you'd be more specific, but I kinda appreciate why you can't.
The minute you can be specific, please share final developments.

Thank for at least responding!
All the best.

ossipena 2011-08-03 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by don_falcone (Post 1062996)
Fennec is ok but slow as molasses too at the same time.

Have you tried Fennec @N9? if not, how can you know it is slow?

shadowjk 2011-08-03 12:01

Well, you can compare opera, microb and fennec on N900, and assume that it's as resource hungry on most all platforms, and conclude that opera would still be twice as lean and fast on harmattan, and that you'd get the same ratios of open sites before things slow to a crawl.

Of course. microb has no equivalent on harmattan.

DeeGee 2011-08-03 21:55

I'm pretty sure most of the slowness of Fennec on N900 is because of the humongous ammounts of memory it needs -> swapping to flash. Hopefully that won't be a problem on N9 with the 1GB of memory...

sjgadsby 2011-08-04 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeGee (Post 1063717)
I'm pretty sure most of the slowness of Fennec on N900 is because of the humongous ammounts of memory it needs -> swapping to flash. Hopefully that won't be a problem on N9 with the 1GB of memory...

I find the unofficial build of Fennec for the N950 quite usable in terms of speed, even with Adblock Plus installed and active. That plugin strangled nearly all the life out of MicroB.

And no, there's no Flash with this version.

ossipena 2011-08-04 04:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowjk (Post 1063381)
Well, you can compare ... and assume ...

of course you can assume, but... assumptions are assumptions.

aironeous 2011-08-05 14:58

It's going to get really annoying having to switch over to fennec every time you hit a web page with flash. A simple way to quickly "open in fennec" should be implemented, maybe long press on the address bar.

zymo 2011-08-05 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by aironeous (Post 1064675)
It's going to get really annoying having to switch over to fennec every time you hit a web page with flash. A simple way to quickly "open in fennec" should be implemented, maybe long press on the address bar.

only if fennec ever gonna get flash :rolleyes:

jalyst 2011-08-24 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolo (Post 1062968)

jolo... can we PLEASE get come clarity on this now!?
It's dragging on way too long....

The N9 may be buy-able in as early as 3wks in some countries.

If we still don't have a yes or no answer at this late stage.
How can we possibly er on the side of positive thinking.

Cassio 2011-09-07 09:21

*bump*

I'd like to hear some feedback on this matter too.