maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Updated to PR 1.3 and regretting it (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64631)

ROne21 2010-10-29 00:40

Updated to PR 1.3 and regretting it

I updated my N900 via PC suite and regretting it. The cell now has become unreliable. It reboots constantly, problem that many have had when the phone just came out and which I did not have. In addition, I lost some apps that I cannot find anymore, particularly, the Pixelpipe. I used that service a lot to share pics, more than anything as the N900 does not have MMS feature. I did/do have the fMMS installed but only for receiving pic messages....sending pics via fMMS is nonexistent. Also, flash does not work anymore...what the heck did I do?

I'm looking for another phone now for replacement and I checked out the new N8...builtwise, I like....nice solid feel, aluminum casing is good. I would definitely buy it but that "Made in China" is holding me back big time. I hate stuff made in China. I was going through GSMarena review of the phone the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw pic of the N8 that was labeled Made in Finland. Are there 2 versions of the cell made in 2 different places? If it's only made in China, the Samsung Galaxy S may be it for me....I may jumping ship for now......

geneven 2010-10-29 00:48

Re: Updated to PR 1.3 and regretting it

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROne21 (Post 856024)
I updated my N900 via PC suite and regretting it. The cell now has become unreliable. It reboots constantly, problem that many have had when the phone just came out and which I did not have. In addition, I lost some apps that I cannot find anymore, particularly, the Pixelpipe. I used that service a lot to share pics, more than anything as the N900 does not have MMS feature. I did/do have the fMMS installed but only for receiving pic messages....sending pics via fMMS is nonexistent. Also, flash does not work anymore...what the heck did I do?

I'm looking for another phone now for replacement and I checked out the new N8...builtwise, I like....nice solid feel, aluminum casing is good. I would definitely buy it but that "Made in China" is holding me back big time. I hate stuff made in China. I was going through GSMarena review of the phone the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw pic of the N8 that was labeled Made in Finland. Are there 2 versions of the cell made in 2 different places? If it's only made in China, the Samsung Galaxy S may be it for me....I may jumping ship for now......

In general, no one else is reporting this problem after upgrading, so have fun with your new phone!

c:drive 2010-10-29 00:51

dude,everything thing made in china,if u looking for made in finland or other then inside everything is from china,i think u should flash ur N900 to PR 1.2 version anytime from "tablet.dev.nokia.com"
Best of luck for Non-china made device

F2thaK 2010-10-29 00:52

u can send pics with FMMS !!

jd4200 2010-10-29 00:53

Try reflashing, both your root and eMMC.
If that fails, then sorry I don't know what your problem is; PR1.3 has given me nothing but improvements.

Edit: Also, dude this is not the iPhone, if you feel unhappy with an update just downgrade. Easy.

canabal 2010-10-29 00:53

Downgrade to 1.2 if you are having a problem.

optimistprime 2010-10-29 00:57

Just downgrade. 1.3 has made Maemo 5 alot more finished, and if this is how we had to end the Maemo run, then its not so bad. Not perfect by any means, but better than alot of the cookie cutter phones on the market today.

ROne21 2010-10-29 01:00

thanks to those who gave suggestions....I just need to find out how to reflash the device now.

as far as everything is made in China, yup, sad.

scribbles 2010-10-29 01:03

These Nokia devices are DESIGNED in Finland and made elsewhere. The N900 is assembled in South Korea. The current locations that make the N8 are China, Hong Kong and French Guiana. Most electronic components including the battery in your device are made in China, sorry there's just no way around it.

RenaldoTT 2010-10-29 01:11

Wait you can downgrade??? I thought this was not possible with this OS :S

Mentalist Traceur 2010-10-29 02:12

You can't easily just find a button or run a command in the shell to make yourself drop to a lower version, but you can just reflash to the earlier firmware image. They are all available on the same page you get the latest ones. The only problem is the app managers will keep trying to bug you to reupdate - but you can either blacklist the packages involved or pin them, or something.

pagesix1536 2010-10-29 02:29

Full reinstall...only way to go. Don't trust an upgrade. Especially if it's Windows.

kulas 2010-10-29 02:33

Upgraded to PR 1.3 and loving it.. :D

ROne21 2010-10-29 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 (Post 856086)
Full reinstall...only way to go. Don't trust an upgrade. Especially if it's Windows.

I will try to re-install before anything else. OTA was not possible when I upgraded maybe it's possible now. I did install the upgrade through Windows as I tried installing PC Suite in my Mac but was unable to because of incompatible issue. Is it possible to install PC Suite in Mac now? I'll try and find out.

one1002 2010-10-29 04:43

Manually flash the phone using the fiasco .bin file..(191mb) at the http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

btw, for the pixelpipe app, u can go to www.store.ovi.com and log in using your username password..then search under my stuff..you'll see pixel pipe..just "redownload" it back again...thats all..

ossipena 2010-10-29 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by scribbles (Post 856041)
The current locations that make the N8 are China, Hong Kong and French Guiana.

so they lied about Salo, Finland?

ossipena 2010-10-29 04:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenaldoTT (Post 856046)
Wait you can downgrade??? I thought this was not possible with this OS :S

if the newer update hasn't touched cellular modem, then of course.

pious_momin 2010-10-29 07:37

Has any one noticed on PR 1.3 it seems like RED PILL has been activated. you just click on .deb file from your file manager or send it via bluetooth its open in App manager and starts installation.

videohese 2010-10-29 07:55

The thread starter is an MAC-user, bear with him.

Im just wondering why these kind of people bought N900 at first place?

Its NOT A PHONE! It definitely is a Linux-mini-computer with build in phone-cababilities, nothing more, nothing less.

If youre not familiar with Unix-based systems and their ways to act and work, you better buy an kiddiephone; Samsungs, Iphones etc.

Neverthless, the new 1.3 update made N900 better. Not that much but alot more than expected. Now people are filling the internets with "HOW TO INSTALL MEEGO??!?!?" before they even read about it. Oh how the whining will enlarge with "HELP! cant make calls with mEEGO?!?!"

ROFL! x2

Dont get too exhausted thought with your Mac's and Ez-2-Use-Phones, i wouldn't care less. Just makes my head explode with these kind of messages in talk.maemo.org.

namaste! ;)

ROne21 2010-10-29 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by videohese (Post 856214)

Im just wondering why these kind of people bought N900 at first place?

Its NOT A PHONE! It definitely is a Linux-mini-computer with build in phone-cababilities, nothing more, nothing less.

If youre not familiar with Unix-based systems and their ways to act and work, you better buy an kiddiephone; Samsungs, Iphones etc.

Neverthless, the new 1.3 update made N900 better. Not that much but alot more than expected. Now people are filling the internets with "HOW TO INSTALL MEEGO??!?!?" before they even read about it. Oh how the whining will enlarge with "HELP! cant make calls with mEEGO?!?!"

ROFL! x2

Dont get too exhausted thought with your Mac's and Ez-2-Use-Phones, i wouldn't care less. Just makes my head explode with these kind of messages in talk.maemo.org.

namaste! ;)

You couldn't care less and yet you took a lot of time to respond to my thread. Get your head out of your *** and move on.

lancewex 2010-10-29 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by videohese (Post 856214)

Oh grow up. That sort of comment is so childish.
I am Mac user. But I still have and use my N800, have an N900, and run Ubuntu on a netbook. But have 4 Macs also. I have no interest in an iPhone. Open your mind little man.

RenaldoTT 2010-10-29 14:17

Come on guys don't start a flame please, keep it cool. Thanks

geneven 2010-10-29 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossipena (Post 856148)
so they lied about Salo, Finland?

One thing we know if we are ever concerned about shortages -- we can always turn to you for sarcasm.

ROne21 2010-10-29 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 856648)
Oh grow up. That sort of comment is so childish.
I am Mac user. But I still have and use my N800, have an N900, and run Ubuntu on a netbook. But have 4 Macs also. I have no interest in an iPhone. Open your mind little man.

Same here...Mac user but would never buy an iPhone. I still have my PC. I'm into photography and that's my main reason of getting the Mac, process/edit/manage my pictures.

Flandry 2010-10-29 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pious_momin (Post 856196)
Has any one noticed on PR 1.3 it seems like RED PILL has been activated. you just click on .deb file from your file manager or send it via bluetooth its open in App manager and starts installation.

Not really red pill mode, but yes, installation of individual .deb files was added in PR1.2.

!!Nokia N900!! 2010-10-29 14:41

huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. Puuufffffff.

46.rohit 2010-10-29 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 856027)
In general, no one else is reporting this problem after upgrading, so have fun with your new phone!

i flashes my phone with flasher 3.5 and installed global software.. it was working fine.. but the next day my phone was continously restarting.. i flashed it again bus the problem is not solved... plz helm me.. i cannot afford loosing my n900... plz help...

Flandry 2010-10-29 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46.rohit (Post 856710)
i flashes my phone with flasher 3.5 and installed global software.. it was working fine.. but the next day my phone was continously restarting.. i flashed it again bus the problem is not solved... plz helm me.. i cannot afford loosing my n900... plz help...

Did you flash both images? If that doesn't help, it sounds like it's time for Nokia warranty service.

46.rohit 2010-10-29 15:06

yes i completely flashed my phone.. with the help of this page : http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

Flandry 2010-10-29 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46.rohit (Post 856713)
yes i completely flashed my phone.. with the help of this page : http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

Well, as it says...
Quote:

Flashing the eMMC and rootfs on your N900 will completely reset the device to factory settings, reverting everything to factory settings, including /home, but again, excepting the external memory.
So if it's still rebooting after flashing both FIASCO and eMMC, your phone is defective. What is more likely is that you are restoring a backup or installing an app that is causing the problem, though.

fareed_xtreme 2010-10-29 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46.rohit (Post 856710)

Reflash your device with PR 1.3 FIASCO and eMMC (Check for the latest one as you'll find 2 eMMC images. Te latest came around 1 month after PR1.2 i presume). However, after you do this, just check if the phone is doing ok, if it is restore your backup. If not reflash again. I have done 3 flashes of eMMC and the Fiasco Images until the phone became a piece of butter with smooooooooooooooooooooooothie transitions and perfection that dint exist in Nokia devices since like..... forever.

46.rohit 2010-10-31 11:45

no have no restored any backup but ya i agree that an app cause this sort of problem... but still i flashes my N900 twice but no use.. it still behaving the same.. i also gave it to nokia care centre.. even they could not resolve the problem... the send my n900 back to the company and asked me to wait for 10 to 12 days.. i miss my N900 A LOTTT.

46.rohit 2010-10-31 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fareed_xtreme (Post 856734)
Reflash your device with PR 1.3 FIASCO and eMMC (Check for the latest one as you'll find 2 eMMC images. Te latest came around 1 month after PR1.2 i presume). However, after you do this, just check if the phone is doing ok, if it is restore your backup. If not reflash again. I have done 3 flashes of eMMC and the Fiasco Images until the phone became a piece of butter with smooooooooooooooooooooooothie transitions and perfection that dint exist in Nokia devices since like..... forever.

well i will surely try it later.... thnks

46.rohit 2010-10-31 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flandry (Post 856719)
Well, as it says...

So if it's still rebooting after flashing both FIASCO and eMMC, your phone is defective. What is more likely is that you are restoring a backup or installing an app that is causing the problem, though.

no have no restored any backup but ya i agree that an app cause this sort of problem... but still i flashes my N900 twice but no use.. it still behaving the same.. i also gave it to nokia care centre.. even they could not resolve the problem... the send my n900 back to the company and asked me to wait for 10 to 12 days.. i miss my N900 A LOTTT.

NiQ 2010-10-31 13:15

Just upgraded to PR 1.3 and everything seems OK. Looks like a lot of annoying bugs (such as the notorious incoming call bug) have been fixed.
Sure, had to reinstall many applications, and also waiting for an update to kernel-power (anyone knows when it's due?) for the new release but that's just temporary problems.