maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [Announce/RFC] forum-tmo, a TMO Forum Viewer for Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79984)

pH5 2011-11-14 16:29

[Announce/RFC] forum-tmo, a TMO Forum Viewer for Harmattan

3 Attachment(s)
Reading talk.maemo.org on the Harmattan browser is slightly inconvenient, for me at least. Therefore, I give you forum-tmo, a very much work-in-progress N9/N950 QML UI for this very forum:

Attachment 23503 Attachment 23505 Attachment 23506

The application can be downloaded via Apps for MeeGo. Or directly download a current Debian package from the Community OBS. The source code repository is on gitorious.org: https://gitorious.org/forum-qml/forum-tmo

I'd like to eventually grow this into a well-integrated and really (one-handed-)user-friendly interface for all important forum functions, so I'd value your input on how to design it properly to this end :)
And of course I've implemented tons of bugs for you to find...

For now it can:
  • show the main forum list,
  • show the forums' thread lists,
  • show each threads' post list,
  • use the quick search to search for threads, and
  • show the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" thread lists
  • add and remove thanks
It can also post new threads in a forum, or new replies to a thread, but this functionality is still quite buggy. If you'd like to try this, please check the created post in the browser, too.

I've used the signon password plugin to store the login credentials for now, so there is no validation in the accounts UI yet.

HtheB 2011-11-21 18:38

Re: [Announce/RFC] forum-tmo, a TMO Forum Viewer for Harmattan

Nice! :)

N900 port would be nice

Maj3stic 2011-11-21 18:50

People complain about the low app ecosystem of Maemo and Meego but its community members like you that reaffirm my decision to stay with this platform from the n810 to my new N9. Many Thanks to you and the rest of the developers out there.

HtheB 2011-11-21 19:01

Can you please upload this (and the MeeGo forum app) to the official repository? ( http://apps.formeego.com )

pH5 2011-11-22 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1126989)
Can you please upload this (and the MeeGo forum app) to the official repository? ( http://apps.formeego.com )

Done and done.

Porting to Fremantle/N900 should be possible, I have to check out the Qt Components support in extras.

zaoltryence 2011-11-22 10:49

wow, now life would be much more easier great job dude:)

mece 2011-11-22 15:39

I've got a bit of a problem. I typed in my password and it seems to be impossible to get back to the dialog. And removing or even purging the application doesn't remove the stored username/password settings. The error screen suggests I click the back button, but there is no back button on the first page, as you can see from the screenshots in the original post.

Never mind. I had to remove the account from "accounts". That part is missing an icon btw.

pH5 2011-11-22 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mece
Never mind. I had to remove the account from "accounts". That part is missing an icon btw.

Yes, in the future the account plugin itself should do the validation so that you can't even create an account with wrong credentials.

The icon will appear after a reboot - does anybody know how to fix this? I suppose some icon cache would have to be updated in postinst.

Oh, and that <strike> bug is fixed in the next version.

caco3 2011-11-22 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pH5 (Post 1127435)
The icon will appear after a reboot - does anybody know how to fix this? I suppose some icon cache would have to be updated in postinst.

It might be this bug: http://www.developer.nokia.com/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=369

Schturman 2011-11-23 01:18

How to install this ".ymp" files ? Where I can find the .deb files for this two forums ?

et3rnal 2011-11-24 18:50

THIS IS GREAT :D

hope to see this supporting all the forums in future ;) "Symbian version will push it hardly"

thanks

pH5 2011-11-24 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by caco3 (Post 1127565)

I don't think so, this one is about the application icon not showing up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schturman (Post 1127623)
How to install this ".ymp" files ? Where I can find the .deb files for this two forums ?

The .ymp installer files are handled by the Apps for MeeGo client.
If you absolutely want to install the .deb files manually, check out this Community OBS repository.

qwazix 2011-12-05 22:25

Very nice app. I would like to propose an integration with the event feed if possible. I'd love to see active topics and new posts in subscribed threads in my timeline. Now I use rss for the same reason but it opens the rss app instead of forum-tmo.

pH5 2011-12-06 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwazix
I would like to propose an integration with the event feed if possible. I'd love to see active topics and new posts in subscribed threads in my timeline.

That's a great idea, although I'd have to split the forum code into a backend that can operate independently from the GUI for that.

et3rnal 2011-12-07 05:56

great work

Unicode support please?

qwazix 2011-12-07 07:03

Another recommendation I have is that the home page is switched from the main view to the latest posts. Another solution is to have them both directly in the toolbar and the last one used is always remembered.

stickymick 2011-12-07 07:50

I don't have an N9 myself, but actually seeing this thread both surprised and shocked me that Nokia didn't carry over one of the best features of the N900.

pH5 2011-12-07 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by et3rnal (Post 1134317)
Unicode support please?

The forum pages are served with content type ISO-8859-1, I don't know how I could do anything about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwazix
Another recommendation I have is that the home page is switched from the main view to the latest posts. Another solution is to have them both directly in the toolbar and the last one used is always remembered.

I think at least the inital start screen should look similar to the forum web page, I like your second idea better.
But there are no good toolbar icons for "Forums", "Today's Posts" / "New Posts", and "Subscribed threads" - how about having a selection dialog when clicking the view header, similar to the Messages application?

pH5 2011-12-07 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pH5
The forum pages are served with content type ISO-8859-1, I don't know how I could do anything about that.

Please ignore that, I understand the issue now and I'm working on it - I was sending percent encoded UTF-8 text to the server when I should send percent encoded ISO-8859-1 and HTML-encode non-Latin1 characters.

myrjola 2011-12-07 21:35

Seems that the app is not yet visible in the Apps for Meego client, is that due to it missing review info (or some other reason)?

pH5 2011-12-07 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrjola (Post 1134727)
Seems that the app is not yet visible in the Apps for Meego client, is that due to it missing review info (or some other reason)?

Check out http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Apps/Community_QA. The application has not cleared QA yet, so you'd have to install the testing repostory enabler to see it.

dsawhney 2011-12-08 02:26

Nice app, much appreciated. Some suggestions for improvement:

1. Have an option to choose start page as either forum list (default) or today's posts
2. Implement a refresh button on the today's posts page
3. Option to view most recent posts on a thread page by default instead of selecting "go to last page" everytime
4. I see you've a similar app for meego forums, can the two apps be merged and have an option to change forum source (t-mo, meego...) on the fly

pH5 2011-12-08 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsawhney (Post 1134836)
Some suggestions for improvement:

1. Have an option to choose start page as either forum list (default) or today's posts
2. Implement a refresh button on the today's posts page

Yes, those are already in the pipeline.

Quote:

3. Option to view most recent posts on a thread page by default instead of selecting "go to last page" everytime

That's a good excuse to learn how to make a settings plugin. I'll look into it.

Quote:

4. I see you've a similar app for meego forums, can the two apps be merged and have an option to change forum source (t-mo, meego...) on the fly

I rather like having the two forums as separate icons in the application view. I could implement this similarly to the Contacts / Skype launchers, though.

et3rnal 2011-12-11 16:32

Till now everything awesome :) thanks

I believe its okay to use your great work to support more forums? but is there any guide to start with that?

thanks heaps

pH5 2011-12-12 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by et3rnal (Post 1136255)
I believe its okay to use your great work to support more forums? but is there any guide to start with that?

Of course. Unfortunately right now, the HTML parser is still hardcoded in the item model classes. That is to say, I need to work on documentation and separation of functionality. Check the onReceived slots in the Forum/Thread/PostList classes to get an idea of the current status.
A good start might be to see if you can construct a CSS selector to select each tag containing a single element (forum/thread/post) of a page of the forum you want to support.

Meanwhile, released version 0.0.5-1; changelog:
  • Support for subscribing to and unsubscribing from threads
  • Remember which page was active when quitting and restart there
  • Various bug fixes
    - show forum a thread was posted to in MeeGo Forum
    - mark threads as read immediately
    - send messages as percent/HTML encoded ISO Latin 1
    - crash fix when replying
    - fix reloading in search results, multipage searches

et3rnal 2011-12-13 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by pH5 (Post 1136820)
Of course. Unfortunately right now, the HTML parser is still hardcoded in the item model classes. That is to say, I need to work on documentation and separation of functionality. Check the onReceived slots in the Forum/Thread/PostList classes to get an idea of the current status.
A good start might be to see if you can construct a CSS selector to select each tag containing a single element (forum/thread/post) of a page of the forum you want to support.

Meanwhile, released version 0.0.5-1; changelog:
  • Support for subscribing to and unsubscribing from threads
  • Remember which page was active when quitting and restart there
  • Various bug fixes
    - show forum a thread was posted to in MeeGo Forum
    - mark threads as read immediately
    - send messages as percent/HTML encoded ISO Latin 1
    - crash fix when replying
    - fix reloading in search results, multipage searches

I did look at it and did some modifications as the form Im trying to support using "table, tr, td" instead of "div" which i dont know if these going to work!

one more thing, how can I chose the character coding "to read and write" as the forum uses non-Latin characters

thanks a lot, I believes changing the "coding type" will help me to make it work.

Arthuro_Adam 2011-12-16 22:11

Great app, but the command "mark forum read" not working on the phone :(

Muzimak 2012-01-12 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrjola (Post 1134727)

Yeah I'm also battling to get this App, the link on the 1st Page doesn't open via my N9 Browser, how do I actually get this App, if U guys don't mind step by step please, I'm one of those who've never even Flushed my phone or used the Developer Mode...... I only know the basics!

Muzimak 2012-01-24 14:23

Guys how do U download this App, the link doesn't seem to work!!

drvar 2012-02-06 20:19

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. I found it.

Kozzi 2012-02-06 21:07

any chance you could make this into an universal forum browser, with support for tapatalk or various forum parser scripts?

pycage 2012-02-06 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzimak (Post 1154962)
Guys how do U download this App, the link doesn't seem to work!!

apps:// links work on the N9 browser if you install the Apps For MeeGo client from http://apps.formeego.org.
Besides giving you a client application for accessing the repository, this will also register the package repository so that you could use apt-get if you'd like, and install the necessary keys so that App For MeeGo is regarded a trusted source by the N9, and allow apps to request the same Aegis privileges as those published via Ovi store.

Muzimak 2012-02-22 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1161408)
apps:// links work on the N9 browser if you install the Apps For MeeGo client from http://apps.formeego.org.
Besides giving you a client application for accessing the repository, this will also register the package repository so that you could use apt-get if you'd like, and install the necessary keys so that App For MeeGo is regarded a trusted source by the N9, and allow apps to request the same Aegis privileges as those published via Ovi store.

It says Installation Package not found, I do have Apps for Meego installed :(

This another reason why I wish we had Tapatalk

gabriel9 2012-02-26 20:50

@Muzimak
here you can download it: https://build.pub.meego.com/package/...attan_standard

Reflektorfalke 2012-02-29 20:05

Is it only me or has anyone else noticed problems with TMO client (and Meego forum client as well) since PR1.2 update?
If I open a thread, the first page is loaded only partially and tapping old/newer posts gives just an empty screen...

TMavica 2012-02-29 20:38

Yes
same case, PM ed author, but no reply until now

donaggio 2012-03-05 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke (Post 1172256)
Is it only me or has anyone else noticed problems with TMO client (and Meego forum client as well) since PR1.2 update?
If I open a thread, the first page is loaded only partially and tapping old/newer posts gives just an empty screen...

Same here.

The Arsonist 2012-03-08 06:30

I'm glad you've gone out of your way to make this app, it is really useful. I wish TMO would cater to other devices and their resolutions and such, but this definitely makes great use of the screen for a site that's a real pain sometimes. I've realized two issues though.

1) I'm having the EXACT same problem as Reflektorfalke.
2) If you're TMO username has a "space" in it, you can't login. I've tried applying a space with Swype and the default keyboard, but it appears to not recognize this character, so I can't login...

Hope to hear about a resolution! Thanks!

TMavica 2012-03-19 15:00

still no update?

TMavica 2012-03-19 15:04

who can help me build the deb from the source? as I see it is 0.061 version

https://gitorious.org/forum-qml/forum-tmo