maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Anyone replaced the N9 chassis/case? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82808)

chrisp7 2012-03-05 12:57

Anyone replaced the N9 chassis/case?

My phone is looking a little wrecked - I have dropped it a few times. Im considering replacing the case - has anyone on here done this? Just wondering if you found it hard/easy?

slansr 2012-03-05 14:21

Re: Anyone replaced the N9 chassis/case?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp7 (Post 1174605)
My phone is looking a little wrecked - I have dropped it a few times. Im considering replacing the case - has anyone on here done this? Just wondering if you found it hard/easy?

I have changed the housing on my lumia 800 and two processes are very similar, so I can share my experience :)
First watch the video about how to take it apart, in not sure there are any English videos for the N9 but there's definitely a Russian video which is very clear even if you don't know the language type in YouTube : "разбор Nokia n9".
After this post I'll also share a link with my guide about the lumia which has a lot of useful and relevant info in it although the wrong video obviously. You can get the parts from the same seller that's mentioned there.

slansr 2012-03-05 14:24

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1526844
Here's the link, I must say im no pro at this at all but found it very easy to do.

lstrike21 2012-03-05 14:32

I changed my original black housing for Cyan. Once you have the screen off the rest is a cynch. Just make sure you have good quality tools so you don't strip any of the torx that hold the metal shield and system board in place.

chrisp7 2012-03-06 14:35

Great! Thanks guys - where did you source your original parts from? The one I bought from ebay looks fake (not that obvious bar the engraved text).

slansr 2012-03-06 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp7 (Post 1175204)
Great! Thanks guys - where did you source your original parts from? The one I bought from ebay looks fake (not that obvious bar the engraved text).

The seller that i ordered my lumia parts from was called "headlane ltd" they are a uk firm, i contacted them and they said they get legit parts.. The ones i got look exactly the same as the original ones. I think headlane also sells n9 parts im not sure but i can say from experience that this company seems to sell original parts :)
Who did you buy yours from?

slansr 2012-03-06 18:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJtUbnM46E

here's the russian video that i was talking about, i havent seen any other video myself.. this one is pretty clear though and if something is not, read my lumia guide from xda that i posted before because apart from one or two things the process is identical.

ssjmec 2012-03-08 14:48

can anyone link me to an N9 original case seller? :)

Dan_F 2012-03-08 16:24

I'd also appreciate this.

vitaminj 2012-03-08 18:07

There's usually some on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/?_nkw=n9 housing

Annoyed that you asked now, because I ordered a blue housing and parts for my black 64gb a week ago for £47 and now there's one for £10 less. Never mind eh. Mine are from digital_supermarkets - I'll update this thread when they arrive.

somedude 2012-03-08 19:00

i ordered one from ebay for USD 55, it was listed for 50 and i asked seller that ill give him 55 but he needs to throw the cyan USB door and sim tray and he agreed on that, so for 55 i am getting a cyan chassis USB door and sim tray. Haven't received yet but eagerly waiting on it. It was an absolute steal deal. The seller said as the OEM parts are hard to find as the phone itself is new and has not been produced in large quantity as compared to other phones. They are just buying a new phone as its easier for them to buy phone then parts and they are taking it apart and selling it in pieces.

slansr 2012-03-08 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjmec (Post 1176536)
can anyone link me to an N9 original case seller? :)

mate i mentioned this two posts before yours, "Headlane ltd" sells official parts for both n9 and the lumia :)

qwazix 2012-03-08 23:20

I had ordered several N95 housings in the past, none was as good as the original, and one 5800 digitizer that claimed to be genuine. It wasn't (it didn't have the polarizing filter), and it didn't even work.

blackbox 2012-03-09 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1176673)
i ordered one from ebay for USD 55, it was listed for 50 and i asked seller that ill give him 55 but he needs to throw the cyan USB door and sim tray and he agreed on that, so for 55 i am getting a cyan chassis USB door and sim tray. Haven't received yet but eagerly waiting on it. It was an absolute steal deal. The seller said as the OEM parts are hard to find as the phone itself is new and has not been produced in large quantity as compared to other phones. They are just buying a new phone as its easier for them to buy phone then parts and they are taking it apart and selling it in pieces.

Could you please provide the link of where you bought it on ebay as i live in the US and was wondering where you could buy OEM chassis?

ssjmec 2012-03-09 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by slansr (Post 1176807)
mate i mentioned this two posts before yours, "Headlane ltd" sells official parts for both n9 and the lumia :)

ya what I meant is direct link. but never mind will just google it. are those OEM parts theyre selling?

youmeego 2012-03-09 14:40

i need a detailed video from maemo community showing how to change the n9 battery. anyone are planning to do this?

slansr 2012-03-10 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by youmeego (Post 1177048)
i need a detailed video from maemo community showing how to change the n9 battery. anyone are planning to do this?

I have posted a link to a russian video that shows very clearly how to take the n9 apart and one of the steps is removing the battery. I get that you wont understand the language and the video isnt as detailed as maybe wanted by some thats why i have also posted a link to my thread at xda which tells you in every little detail how to take apart the lumia and also has a 20 min video(not mine) that is in english and explains everything very very well. Before everyone starts going crazy that im talking about the lumia, the two phones are almost identical when it comes to this. So you can combine the watching of the russian video and my notes from the lumia and you'll have your guide.

once again: russian n9 video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJtUbnM46E

my thread with another video and all the details and instructions you'll ever need:

jalyst 2012-03-10 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by slansr (Post 1177358)
my thread with another video and all the details and instructions you'll ever need:

Thanks, have added that thread to the guide (search for "dismantling")
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...gEyYtfrDI/edit

lstrike21 2012-03-10 18:19

I ordered 2 housings. One from digital_supermarkets and the other from komazys. Both were perfect. The komazys case was identical to factory including the markings on the bottom of the case where it has the CE markings. The digital_supermarkets cyan case had different markings with Japanese characters. The physical case has held up perfectly and is perfect quality but that is the only difference to speak off.

PS - the cases come with flash and speaker leaving you a few pieces less to swap when you switch the cases. I love my Cyan swapped housing and easily recommend both vendors.

Komazys was particularly helpful in sourcing me the matching USB door and SIM housing. Excellent customer service and communication. Order with confidence.

vitaminj 2012-03-15 12:56

My digital_supermarkets one has arrived and has standard CE markings. Expecting a torx kit and magic plectrum to arrive today so I should be able to post back soon with the result of my hamfisted re-casing.

ssjmec 2012-03-15 16:57

Can someone link me a white N9 case seller? the previous link only offers cyan and blackk :(

搁浅维 2012-03-16 02:24

good luck!

dcastrog 2012-03-19 19:17

does the GPS and every other antenna working right after replacement? im expecting a cyan and white housing this week.

slansr 2012-03-25 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcastrog (Post 1181627)
does the GPS and every other antenna working right after replacement? im expecting a cyan and white housing this week.

did you get them? how did it go?

vitaminj 2012-03-25 12:49

Update from me - I managed to get everything out and unscrewed except one damn torx screw which was in mega-tight and the head got stripped. Massively annoying! So near yet so far. Borrowing a mini-dremel next weekend to kill the screw head (and potentially the N9) ... the saga continues ...

somedude 2012-03-25 13:49

This is what happened when I changed mine
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...02#post1183902

MaemoJirka 2012-03-25 14:18

Replacement of the cover is easy.I have replaced two covers and everything was ok.

slansr 2012-03-26 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1183895)
Update from me - I managed to get everything out and unscrewed except one damn torx screw which was in mega-tight and the head got stripped. Massively annoying! So near yet so far. Borrowing a mini-dremel next weekend to kill the screw head (and potentially the N9) ... the saga continues ...

I had the same problem with my lumia I wrote about it in my xda guide, use a larger screwdriver like T5 or T6 whichever is the next one up in size (I can't remember) worked for me ..good luck

osunsanseun 2012-04-01 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp7 (Post 1175204)

Hey I have been looking at one on ebay. Who sold you the one that you think is fake? Thank you.

Muzimak 2012-04-02 19:13

Mis-Post sorry :mad:

dcastrog 2012-04-02 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by slansr (Post 1183754)
did you get them? how did it go?

i got 2 cyan housings and 1 white (i will sell the 2 cyans in mexican "ebay" to pay for my white one)

it was pretty easy to replace it, however i did stripped off one of the screw's head, but managed to take it out using surgery clippers (me being a doctor)

i tried both colors, first changed my black 16 gb to cyan, went for some days, then back to black for some days and then finally white, which I will keep, because it looks awesome!!

i got pretty good at it, and finally mastered the technique, i can disassembly and reassembly in less than 20 minutes. It shouldnt be hard, you just need the right tools, so you dont strip the screws. The russian video is well explained, the tricky part is unclipping the screen. Everything else was just plain easy.

Everything is working fine, antennas, camera, flash, jack and buttons, im glad i changed my case, because the black one was wearing off. If you have any specific question go ahead

ssjmec 2012-04-03 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcastrog (Post 1187324)
i got 2 cyan housings and 1 white (i will sell the 2 cyans in mexican "ebay" to pay for my white one)

Where were you able to get a white one? :D

dcastrog 2012-04-03 14:24

from ebay, check it out

automagic68 2012-04-04 08:51

I've read that the Lumia 900's polycarbonate is matte which makes it a lot harder to slip out of the user's hand. I think I read somewhere that the newer white N9 case is also matte, if I'm wrong will they possibly update the N9 and Lumia 800 cases to be matte? That would give me great incentive to replace my shell.

ste-phan 2012-04-04 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by automagic68 (Post 1187836)
I've read that the Lumia 900's polycarbonate is matte which makes it a lot harder to slip out of the user's hand. I think I read somewhere that the newer white N9 case is also matte, if I'm wrong will they possibly update the N9 and Lumia 800 cases to be matte? That would give me great incentive to replace my shell.

The matt effect will wear off under use, so you may seriously consider if the extra work, cost and risk is worth a couple of months matt touch.

vitaminj 2012-04-04 10:24

N9 and L800 blue, black and magenta are matte. They go a little glossy over time due to wear and/or greasy hands.
N9 and L800 white are gloss.
Afaik L900 is exactly the same setup.

HanzBlix 2012-04-04 12:51

I'm pretty sure I saw an official behind the scenes video where they talked to a nokian involved in the design process, and he said they chose to make the white N9 glossy because matte white looked too unimpressive or dull, something of that nature, if my memory serves me correctly that is.
I seriously doubt they would change design so late in a products life cycle anyway, when they're in store it's already very late for that kind of thing. Maybe if they were to pull a Samsung and release a million different versions with the same badge they could.
Saying that I have no doubt that if there's some third party making fascia covers they could go that route though, with the N8 they certainly didn't stick to Nokia's design, though the one I imported from china was really bad plastic, and didn't fit like the real thing.
I'd go genuine if I ever swapped a fascia again, that's for sure.

HanzBlix 2012-04-04 14:24

I found this site when I was looking for N9 batteries last year....
KLC Finland
You might find their YouTube helpful too.
KLCFinland - YouTube
Unfortunately their English version of the site seems to not get updated much if at all, it still hasn't shown n9 parts, but in the Finnish version of the site they have some N9 parts, if you scroll to the bottom of the page I linked. They're a bit expensive for some of the parts e.g. 79.00 € for a body assembly, but if you're prepared to pay a premium to know it's genuine you might like those guys.

Jaffa 2012-04-09 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1183895)

Hmm, are you still London based? My 64GB N9's a bit bashed in on the corners, and the thought of having a blue 64GB N9 is pretty cool.

Here you even say it's easy to transplant the screen. Since I've also got a spare 16GB one (black) with which I'm going to try doing Android development, swapping its screen for one which is cracked in the corner to restore my main device to pristine condition is enticing...

vitaminj 2012-04-09 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 1190079)
Hmm, are you still London based? My 64GB N9's a bit bashed in on the corners, and the thought of having a blue 64GB N9 is pretty cool.

Here you even say it's easy to transplant the screen. Since I've also got a spare 16GB one (black) with which I'm going to try doing Android development, swapping its screen for one which is cracked in the corner to restore my main device to pristine condition is enticing...

Yeah I'm still here - managed to get the final screw out in the end (borrowing a dremel), so now I've got a lesser-spotted 64gb cyan. Took a little bit of getting used to the colour change, but it's pretty cool in a quirky way.

The screen is the easiest bit to get off if you're sufficiently cavalier and have a guitar pick type object to do a bit of levering.
The rest of the operation isn't entirely risk-free if you're not a microelectronics guru with a fistful of tools, as someone else on this forum managed to kill their usb connection, and I got a bit of sparky action from my battery trying to work out how to unclip it ("straight up" is the non-obvious answer). If that doesn't put you off (!), I can help you with transplanting/tools if you're local.
Looking on eBay, this seems to be the only full set of cyan stuff at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270928604297