maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Soundwave - SoundHound client for Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88777)

knobtviker 2013-01-24 14:13

[Announce] Soundwave - SoundHound client for Harmattan

This has been one of the premium applications missing on Harmattan.
Thank you all for your support and patience!
Big thanks again to Brkn here that made me port over SoundHound instead of Shazam. :D

Future plans are simple. If Qt is supported, you will be able to download the application. Currently I'm on a fast track to port over to BlackBerry10. After that Symbian.
People asking about N900, I am willing to port over but outdated Mobility might be a problem. We can discuss that here. :cool:

Talking about features, I am not done yet.
There is one feature missing and it's LiveLyrics, I'm still looking into it. Additional services like Spotify and VKontakte and such will be embedded in next major releases.

Enjoy your music!

What is it?
Soundwave is an application for music recognition. It uses Midomi servers to identify and search for patterns. Upon success, you will be presented with various data about track, album and artist that you are currently listening to.

How does it work?
Just click on the icon, watch a nice rotating animated pie and standby. Once powerful servers have found a match, you will be presented with the result.
If no match is found, you will be told too.

You need more info?
Further information and interaction can be obtained over Soundwave on Facebook or contacting author on Twitter or here.

Screenshots
Available in an album at Imgur

Download
Available at Nokia Store

AMD 2013-01-24 14:16

Re: Soundwave

Wow! Finally! The app we just needed! What can we do without you here.. Great work!

TMavica 2013-01-24 14:18

Nice UI!!!!!!!!

thedead1440 2013-01-24 14:24

I'm disappointed knobtviker :p

You've been building the hype since 3 weeks and you announce it only with a "Soundwave"? It should be "[HUGE-ANNOUNCE] Soundwave - a Soundhound client" or something like that; heck anything that keeps the hype :D

knobtviker 2013-01-24 14:41

Re: [Announce] Soundwave - SoundHound client for Harmattan

There there, I changed the title to be more spectacular. :D
Now, back to my cave to work on it some more... :)

chenliangchen 2013-01-24 14:55

Thanks hero! This is so nice and well polished!!

Just left a 5 star review in the store. :D

ktrev 2013-01-24 15:37

Awesome app! Works great. Thanks for your hard work, been wanting this for a while.

Mr_NkStyle 2013-01-24 15:41

oh yess!!! fantastic news another important app for our N9!

Thanks

SynergyX 2013-01-24 16:37

It looks great, but, at 6.15€, I'll pass.

Good news though for those really needing this app.

setter 2013-01-24 16:46

6.15€ is peanuts for a good app...

hugon9 2013-01-24 17:05

thank you! i will buy it! $40 mx it΄s nothing (more or less $4usd)

knobtviker 2013-01-24 18:21

Well, I decided to use Tier4 on Store.
It's approx. 5€. I don't know how it recalculated to 6.15€. :/

lorenzo 2013-01-24 19:00

is it possible for users update the database with not recognised tracks?

flotron 2013-01-24 19:04

Harmattan is every day more complete!

Major apps people preffer:

- Instagram -> Instago
- Angry Birds -> Angry Birds
- Shazzam -> Soundwave
- Dropbox -> Cutebox or DropN9
- Whatsapp -> Wazapp
- Spotify -> Meespot

These are so far i remember now

Nokia should be overwhelmed by the power of this community, that make great things without their help

AMD 2013-01-24 19:08

Remember Fruit Ninja --> Fruit Go?
ACL --> apkenv?

Arie 2013-01-24 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by flotron (Post 1317425)
Harmattan is every day more complete!

Major apps people preffer:

- Instagram -> Instago
- Angry Birds -> Angry Birds
- Shazzam -> Soundwave
- Dropbox -> Cutebox or DropN9
- Whatsapp -> Wazapp
- Spotify -> Meespot

These are so far i remember now

Nokia should be overwhelmed by the power of this community, that make great things without their help

For Dropbox Dropian is best...
For all those complaining about the price, I've known about this app from its early development stages when it was just an idea. For Knobtviker to ask for 5 euros for an app that he did so much work for and on is cheap... I got the app for free to review and I like it so much that I'm buying it... If you don't want to pay for the app, don't complain about the price... You are not aware how much hard work went and is still going into this app, especially for the future planned ideas ;)

Hariainm 2013-01-24 19:18

2 Attachment(s)
Great application Bojan! Very feature rich, and it's only the first public version! I like it.

But, you're a developer, and you want to hear our opinions right? Just quick thoughts about it:
  • You should include a quick button to pause a track when it's playing.
    I hit play to some tracks featured in the charts, and to stop the song currently playing if you went back, you have to redo the steps (if you don't remember the artist you clicked, you're f*cked :p). I don't know, a pull down menu like MeeSpot will be awesome.

• I don't like at all the animation when it's scanning, it goes higher and lower, it flickers and the transparent layer doesn't match with the background (i like the background, but spirals and circles dont look good together. Hope you're working on it.

• You should follow the Harmattan icon guidelines, to make your icon more consistent with the others. Compare:
    Attachment 30703Attachment 30704
    Note the shadow surrounding the logo and the top fading.

• Hey! you should include the numbering version in the about section!:D

Nothing more, i really like the app and only hope you like the suggestions.

almamo 2013-01-24 19:34

Absolutely stunning app! Mine went already through the after-work-bar-test: Yes it works really well!

But what I like even more is how well the application was made. Many big software publisher could benefit in having a look at your apps! Here's a first article written by a friend :)

The 5€ are peanuts (or about 6€ in my country). It costs the same on Google Play or AppStore if you want the full version of SoundHound (demo version only lasts for a month or something like that). And with SoundWave you won't get any half-done software. Hope people realize that...

Quote:

Well, I decided to use Tier4 on Store.
It's approx. 5€. I don't know how it recalculated to 6.15€
For some reasons even within EU countries the price can vary +/- 1€, despite choosing 5€ (visible in Nokia's price calculations).

knobtviker 2013-01-24 19:42

Thanks everybody for valuable input. I will take all suggestions into consideration and see what can be done. :)

knobtviker 2013-01-24 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorenzo (Post 1317423)
is it possible for users update the database with not recognised tracks?

Actually, server takes care of that.
The more you input it with unknown songs, they become more knownand eventually recognized.
At least I think it works like that.

almamo 2013-01-24 19:53

@Hariainm Understand what you mean with the icon. But the s-speaker wouldn't make that much sense anymore following the guidelines. Except maybe a white one with inverted shadows (so that it looks being below the orange part)? The official SoundHound icon one is very similar to knobtviker's one. Anyways those are details ;)

@knobtviker I'm having the problem that I can't play Youtube videos. It will give me the "typical": You can't play these types of files on your device - message. Could it be that SoundWave picks out the highest video resolution available from Youtube?

Anyone else experiencing that or has my phone a weak day?

MarcAnton 2013-01-24 20:26

Great app for N9
Just installed, works perfect :)
Thanks man

hugon9 2013-01-24 20:57

i have installed it and works very nice. in mexico the cost is about $4 dollars. it΄s cheap. keep improving it!

th only thing that i missed is the capability of search lyrics.

thank you!

Hariainm 2013-01-24 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by almamo (Post 1317438)
@Hariainm Understand what you mean with the icon. But the s-speaker wouldn't make that much sense anymore following the guidelines. Except maybe a white one with inverted shadows (so that it looks being below the orange part)? The official SoundHound icon one is very similar to knobtviker's one. Anyways those are details ;)

Of course when talking about the fading i'm talking about the orange squircle, dark orange in bottom, and going clear on top. You can see more of this here

brkn 2013-01-24 22:22

Glad to see it is finally released. I can only repeat what Arie already stated - Bojan worked really hard on it and I don't see how 5 EUR is too much for this application. You people should be glad there are developers around spending months on good code instead of complaining about pricing. If it is still too expensive for you then you better sell your N9 and buy something cheaper to have some money left for buying applications.

Morpog 2013-01-24 22:31

Was a no brainer instant buy!

Go on devs!

almamo 2013-01-24 22:32

Right and as mentioned earlier, the paid version of SoundHood isn't necessarily cheaper:

-AppStore = $6
-Google Play = $6

So for the same we get a proper Harmattan app from someone who gave us already a lot for free.

torcida 2013-01-24 22:37

Thanks!!!

Have to try it now... :D

Eztran 2013-01-24 22:45

Well, this beats Eyrie a million times over. Well worth the cash, and that's another major app the N9's no longer missing.

Also, the UI's great, though I'm not sure about that spiral background.

torcida 2013-01-24 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hariainm (Post 1317429)
[*]You should follow the Harmattan icon guidelines, to make your icon more consistent with the others. Compare:

http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...Guidelines.pdf

@ Bojan: Hvala puno!!! Really great work!!!

chenliangchen 2013-01-24 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hariainm (Post 1317429)
[*]You should follow the Harmattan icon guidelines, to make your icon more consistent with the others. Compare:

Nothing more, i really like the app and only hope you like the suggestions.

Not only drop shadow, also noticed the icon is larger than standard. There should be 2 px blank at the edge according to the icon guideline.
Not being fussy, because it's so good already, want to make it perfect. :)

HtheB 2013-01-25 01:14

This app is great! :)

Does Soundhound really have to "listen" untill the circle is completed?
I remember that the Original Soundhound (or was it Shazam?) that you could tab to stop listening and send the Data that you've already had to check the song...

Example:
Instead of listening to 20 seconds, that it will send only 10 seconds.

Btw... Somehow, sometimes it gives me different results :p

soryuuha 2013-01-25 01:20

Wow, never thought Soundhound have API :p

kai_en 2013-01-25 01:43

I guess, Bojan is taking the design cue from Shazam, the spinning circle while listening. I noticed it flicker according the played volume. If it's loud, the radius is bigger, if it's soften, the radius is smaller. Is my assumption accurate?

kikujiro0208 2013-01-25 02:16

Great news!
Hopefully it will be also released in the OVI store in China...:)

Criss123 2013-01-25 04:42

Excelent work, cheap, fast, nice UI.
A must have app.

Matt-UAE 2013-01-25 07:11

Hi. I m about to buy this highly-appreciated App for Harmattan.. Just like to know if it captures only English songs or other language also like Hindi too ?
- Matt

knobtviker 2013-01-25 09:10

I used it to recognize even Croatian songs and it worked which was a suprise even for me. :)

My mistake, I should have explained "jumping" circle. Yes, it is a sound pressure level meter thingy. When the sound is very loud it grows bigger, when it's quiet it's smaller. I think it's cool. :D

About Youtube videos, no, it actually picks the lowest resolution in and takes a streaming link, not the full video download. I guess videos you picked where constrained by uploader.

About icon, well, I never used app icons that adhere 100% to guidelines.
Those are guidelines to guide me, not a strict set of rules. ;)

Can you guys upload some screenshots so I can put up a gallery on the web page? Thanks :)

Matt-UAE 2013-01-25 10:32

Amazing App.
Purchased. Installed. Tested.
Guess what ? It captures even Hindi numbers besides the English ones.
Great database.... 10/10 points...

chenliangchen 2013-01-25 12:22

1 Attachment(s)
Found a problem: It can't show oriental language, ie Chinese, Japanese properly. Would you please consider fix it? Thank you!;)