maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Handtec sourced N9 crashes thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79576)

HughF_UK 2011-11-01 08:01

Handtec sourced N9 crashes thread

I thought it appropriate to start a new thread for this so those of us in the uk can pool our thoughts and experiences.

Mine seems to lock up and become unresponsive when swiping sometimes, but the stock nokia apps seem reliable. Opening accuweather from the notifications screen just now caused the swipe to lock up and a reboot was required. The music app crashed whilst scrolling vertically too...

My amoled doesn't seem streaky, just a little pink on the tones, but I can live with that.

jonquark 2011-11-01 11:08

Re: Handtec sourced N9 crashes thread

I'm seeing the same thing (also bought from Handtec). Apparently though our variant of the N9 has an older firmware release:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=391

So I'm hoping a new firmware update will fix it for all of us...

erendorn 2011-11-01 11:09

has anyone tried to flash with a recently downloaded firmware?

HughF_UK 2011-11-01 11:29

I had my 1st random reboot just now, flicking through a facebook album...

I'm still on the fence about this... It is an awesome device, but I'm thinking that I might take the opportunity to use the distance selling regs to get a refund... Does anyone know the flashing instructions for the n9?

And has anyone spoke to handtec about it?

jonquark 2011-11-01 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughF_UK (Post 1116789)
And has anyone spoke to handtec about it?

Well I've seen this tweet:
https://twitter.com/#!/mikerstrong/s...23805216935936

(I don't currently plan to return mine, I can live with it for now if I'm confident a firmware update will fix it. I need to do some more research tonight to try and determine if it will)

ste-phan 2011-11-01 11:41

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4728

Here you will find some guidance and reports of succesful flashing.

You will just need to find the correct firmware. The proposed 3rd party software tool, NaviFirm doesn't run correctly on my Windows machine.

HughF_UK 2011-11-01 11:44

Is @MikerStrong active on here?

I will watch that tweet and see what handtec say... I don't want to reflash and risk damaging any warranty I may have with them, this isn't exactly a cheap device after all :)

vitaminj 2011-11-01 11:47

My previous gripes are posted in the worldwide availability thread, but I had a good one earlier - web browser had stopped working so I thought "let's reboot", held down the power button, and instead of the Nokia logo sliding on I got a massively stretched black and white Store logo.

Yes I'm in two minds about either waiting for PR1.1 or hassling Handtec. Maybe I should just say "look, it's bust at the moment, and I'll send it back if the imminent PR1.1 doesn't fix it". Would help if we got a steer on how close PR1.1 is. Are they just preparing it, after the N950 version was released, or are they using the N950 as a release candidate, and possibly changing it before release to N9?

I think there isn't an official reflasher at the moment (until PR1.1?) - you have to get images off Navifirm apparently, which isn't something I really want to meddle with.

vitaminj 2011-11-01 12:01

@mikerstrong is strongm on here
I've just +1 tweeted them too. Will badger in a more official capacity later.

Also, I should note that my installation issues with dev mode and store apps have gone away for me now - Nokia must have been tinkering about on the backend.

So, having made peace with the smeary screen, my "only" issues are app shutdowns and system freezes/reboots. Hmm.

strongm 2011-11-01 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughF_UK (Post 1116802)
Is @MikerStrong active on here?

Yes, I am ...

HughF_UK 2011-11-01 12:20

My dev mode and store apps worked fine out of the box (I unpacked about 7pm last night) and again, my 'only' issues are app shutdown and system freezes/reboots, same as you :)

strongm 2011-11-01 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughF_UK (Post 1116789)
Does anyone know the flashing instructions for the n9?

Here's what I did to recover my completely locked up, dead N9.

aegis 2011-11-01 12:24

I've got a Handtec sourced N9 also. I've not had any crashing problems.

I'm not impressed with the screen however which has black blotches showing on dark grey content. See http://forums.internettablettalk.com...08#post1116808

I'm holding on to it for now.

vitaminj 2011-11-01 12:24

Meanwhile, on Twitter
Quote:

Originally Posted by @handtec
If device is faulty you can return back we can exchange when stock comes back in or refund within the first 28 days, Please email http://support@handtec.co.uk they will be able to help

and I said
Quote:

Originally Posted by @stephenspencer
thanks for the info- I'll wait for the imminent firmware update (is v.good on N950) and if it's still misbehaving I'll get in touch

DanielW 2011-11-01 12:27

I got an N9 from a different Source, But same country variant and software version. Mine is stable, so I am not so sure it has anything to do with the software.

Maybe handtec got a bad batch? Could comparing IMEI numbers help?

vitaminj 2011-11-01 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 1116824)
Here's what I did to recover my completely locked up, dead N9.

And the million dollar question is ... do you have fewer/no crashes now?

HughF_UK 2011-11-01 12:51

Does anyone elses handtec device do this with minimized running apps? Does it with all of them... haven't tried a reboot yet

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-T...111101_001.jpg

If I zoom down one size, it displays normally... Wasn't doing it earlier...

Edit is: reboot fixed it - yet again, roll on PR1.1

strongm 2011-11-01 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1116832)
And the million dollar question is ... do you have fewer/no crashes now?

It's the original firmware, so sadly I still get application crashes. Don't appear to be getting OS crashes though.

I need to debate whether I'm prepared to wait for PR1.1 or to take up Handtec's offer of a replacement (eventually, if they get any more handsets)

jonquark 2011-11-01 14:19

On Quim Gil's advice:
https://twitter.com/#!/quimgil/statu...68859562291200

I've tweeted to Nokia Care (@nokiahelps):
https://twitter.com/#!/jonquark/stat...73643749015552

If it's still not clear to me what to do this evening, I'll start a thread (if no-one beats me to it) in the support forums linked from here:
http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/n9

vitaminj 2011-11-01 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonquark (Post 1116879)
I've tweeted to Nokia Care (@nokiahelps):
https://twitter.com/#!/jonquark/stat...73643749015552

Actually, I don't think it does have prerelease firmware. The 001 is the variant, not any kind of version number and the rest matches the standard N9 "PR1.0"

HughF_UK 2011-11-01 15:10

I took the plunge and took some scissors to my sim, so my N9 is now on O2... seems marginally less crashy with a sim in it...

vitaminj 2011-11-01 15:22

I'm now occasionally getting ~30x30px square glitches in random places when scrolling lists. This leans me heavily towards hardware issue (dodgy ram or vram) rather than firmware issue, esp. given the history of firmwares that were rock solid on N950.

How have they managed to get a batch of knackered phones though?! Someone in the factory sneezed with all the cases open and then shipped them all off to the UK?

the_Wildgoose 2011-11-01 15:54

Just a datapoint, but I have had my Handtec sourced N9 since Sat and whilst I haven't caned it, it's not done something to me that I would describe as "crashing" in that time

The only glitches I have had are
- the US News widget (AP news) was crashing when I viewed the Technology page yesterday (probably some specific article on there choking it). Has been fine other days. Given up using it since it's US focused..

- My acuweather widget stopped updating yesterday. Read here that others have seen the same. Reboot and it was fine.

- I added the BBC news as a frontpage news feed. Doesn't obviously update unless I push the refresh button (should it?)

I have a "Three" SIM in which I'm testing while I consider moving from Vodafone. £25/month for near unlimited calls, unlimited texts and unlimited data with no tethering limitations. I found a page which claims you will get £4/month off for paying via direct debit... Have no worse reception - possibly better than Vodafone... (London area, near Wimbledon)

I have setup the Nokia link, imap email account with "always up to date" set, a SIP phone account to my asterisk server and Skype. I have done lots of syncs to the Nokia ovi contacts, and also to my old nokia phone. Played a bunch with the mail. Made a bunch of phone calls and txts to both SMS and Skype recipients. Made a 10 min Skype call. Played some of the games for a bit.

What I don't have setup is Facebook or Twitter.

I generally close all the apps down when not in use, but I have had a dozen things open such as browser windows (visiting things like google maps should cane it a bit.. note you need to go to http://www.google.com/maps/m or it doesn't work...)

I have the same software version as someone else reported earlier in the thread. Anyone got something reproducible that I can try to crash it?

vitaminj 2011-11-01 16:00

Thanks for that - good to know they're not all faulty.
You'd definitely know if you were getting the same problems, unfortunately it's not reproducible, it will just freeze or reboot right in the middle of you doing something perfectly normal. Or give you display glitches that shouldn't be there.

Your issues are software related I think:
Accuweather sometimes chokes until reboot - this is fixed in PR1.1
BBC feed update - have you set up auto updates inside settings -> applications?

Sounds like we need to get on the e-blower to Handtec?

corsac 2011-11-01 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughF_UK (Post 1116898)
I took the plunge and took some scissors to my sim, so my N9 is now on O2... seems marginally less crashy with a sim in it...

It'd help to know if other people experiencing crashes have them with or without SIM. I'm supposed to receive an N9 from Handtec soon, so I'll try both and report back.

aegis 2011-11-01 16:13

My experience so far with my Handtec supplied N9 has been pretty much identical to the_Wildgoose also. I've not had a crash or a hang though I do get the occasional slow down, particularly when it can't find a 3G signal.

The office here is in an old gritstone mill with thick walls and barely any phone signal gets in. My N9 (on Three) is often stuck saying 'Emergency Calls Only'. My C7 used to hold on to 1 bar btw so I'm not sure if Nokia's all polycarbonate body is of great benefit for phone signal strength. You regularly see phone owners (iPhone, old Nokia, HTC, all networks - doesn't matter) run for the door to stand outside the building to get a signal. :(

Mine is also running a SIP account (sipgate) and Skype and Twitter and Facebook + 3 IMAP4 mail accounts. There's 8-12 open apps running. The SIP account has been pretty flawless once I worked out to use a different port to the 'landline' SIP phones in the office.

HughF_UK 2011-11-01 16:15

I have yet to experience display glitches... do you have a picture or video of what yours did?

dubious_dog 2011-11-01 16:16

Hello everyone,

Just a heads up, I'm supposed to received my N9 from Handtec today and will report back if there are any issues with my phone. Hopefully that all these issues are just software related that can be simply ironed out when the upcoming firmware (PR 1.1) is released.

Does anyone know when is the new firmware is going to be released?

If this would make any difference, I'm located in Canada and my carrier is Telus Mobility.

vitaminj 2011-11-01 16:18

I started without a sim. It rebooted when I tried to install developer mode - I'm fairly sure the sim was still out at that point.
I have since been using it with a manually-cut sim, and it's still crashy.
Just in case, I'm going to try it without sim for a while, but I think this is a red herring.

vitaminj 2011-11-01 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughF_UK (Post 1116937)
I have yet to experience display glitches... do you have a picture or video of what yours did?

I've only had it happen a few times, and go away fairly quickly, so I haven't captured it yet (no separate camera with me at the mo).
I've had small squares of solid colour pop up and then go away while scrolling in the Store and Email. And then shearing where parts of the screen scroll and others are left behind whilst in Email and Web.

strongm 2011-11-01 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by corsac (Post 1116930)
It'd help to know if other people experiencing crashes have them with or without SIM.

Both with and without on mine.

Of course for most of today it's been fine. Except Ovi Store, which keeps hanging. But I'm not doing too much with it at the moment, light use only, so not representative.

strongm 2011-11-01 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1116903)
How have they managed to get a batch of knackered phones though?!?

This is an important question - a cynic might suggest that this was how Handtec (unknowingly) managed to get hold of 64Gb stock whilst noone else in the Uk could ...

jonquark 2011-11-01 17:19

I've only used the N9 with the micro-sim in, I put it in before turning it on for the first time. Symptom here is random reboots; I'm surfing the web or using the builtin twitter/facebook apps and suddenly the phone resets.

I've not seen any display glitches et...

vitaminj 2011-11-01 17:23

Yep, there you go. Just loaded up "a bunch of stuff" (web, accounts, store, twitter, facebook, settings), pressed refresh on the feed homescreen and poked at settings and it rebooted.
Back in with the sim...

HughF_UK 2011-11-01 17:39

Seems like most of us are experiencing the same reboot causes... Mine just did it when using the facebook app.

It hasn't frozen yet though with the SIM in, just random reboots (like my overclocked n900 :P )

We need to make sure handtec customer support see this thread...

jonquark 2011-11-01 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1116886)
Actually, I don't think it does have prerelease firmware. The 001 is the variant, not any kind of version number and the rest matches the standard N9 "PR1.0"

Yes, apologies.

I didn't have access to Navifirm or a Window PC, I was basing my comment on this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=391

Now I've tracked down a Windows PC and installed navifirm (and the .net 2.0 redistributable) and I can't see a difference between the version numbers for our variant and other people (who don't seem to be having issues).

I'm uncertain whether I think it's hardware or software, hence I'm torn about returning the device at this stage.

strongm 2011-11-01 18:52

Hmm - all the signs are definitely beginning to say hardware to me (at least as far as my N9 is concerned)

jonquark 2011-11-01 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 1117004)
Hmm - all the signs are definitely beginning to say hardware to me (at least as far as my N9 is concerned)

What makes you say that? In the hardware column seems to be that other people running similar software are not experiencing the problem. On the other hand, the "instant reboot" seems too consistent a symptom for dodgy RAM. I've have expected more screen/disk corruption and hangs.

bobh 2011-11-01 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 1116968)
This is an important question - a cynic might suggest that this was how Handtec (unknowingly) managed to get hold of 64Gb stock whilst noone else in the Uk could ...

A company I worked for once had a gate array chip go obsolete. Didn't buy any "last stock" as they thought the product was dead. Of course they subsequently got a big order.

Rather than do a hurried re-design, they bought some chips on the "grey market", and most of them did not work. Weird problems that boiled down to the chips not having all of the pins hooked up internally.

They must have been rejects that somebody picked up and sold. So it does happen.

sunc 2011-11-01 20:52

It might not be Handtec specific problem as I'm getting occasional reboots and lockups as well, bought the N9 from the official retailer here.

The lockups seem to be related to window manager, as they have always happened on a swipe; and the vkb appears to be working if open (there is haptic feedback but the screen is not updated). Edit: On a second though, the lockups remind me the notorious nVidia "freeze bug", thus a driver issue.