maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   "Theme settings" removed from the Store by Nokia (was: [Announce] Theme settings) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85710)

Vesuri 2012-07-26 12:56

"Theme settings" removed from the Store by Nokia (was: [Announce] Theme settings)

Theme settings is a Nokia N9 settings plugin for changing the system theme.

To change the system theme, start Settings, select Device and then Theme. This view allows you to select the system theme (Blanco by default). The package comes with an example theme, Magenta, which replaces cyan buttons and status bar icons with magenta ones. After selecting a theme the device needs to be restarted using the dialog requesting to do so.

http://vesuri.jormas.com/themesettin...mesettings.png

Theme settings was available for download from the Nokia Store. Unfortunately Nokia Store QA has decided to unpublish it, so If you encounter problems downloading please contact Nokia Store Support or Developer Support. Theme settings can be uninstalled like any other application by starting Settings, selecting Applications, selecting Manage applications, selecting Theme settings and then Uninstall.

Themes can be installed from individual theme packages. Themes reside in the directory /usr/share/themes/themename and should be provided by packages named meegotouchtheme-themename for consistency. Each theme should inherit the blanco theme to ensure proper operation. Refer to libmeegotouch documentation for additional information about theming. Since a broken theme can cause a device to malfunction and not to start at all, be extra careful when creating a theme and ensure that the theme works correctly in all applications. An example theme package that changes the background color of each home screen page (not recommended to be done in a theme) is provided on the support page of Theme settings.

The application unlocks Harmattan operating system functionality not supported in any way by Nokia. There is absolutely no warranty! The author takes no responsibility of problems or loss of data caused by this application or third party themes.

http://vesuri.jormas.com/themesettin...gs-magenta.png

thedead1440 2012-07-26 15:50

Re: [Announce] Theme settings

Thanks Vesuri for the app...

The main advantage this app has over Theme Changer from Apps4Meego is that your emoticons don't get broken plus the theme can be changed by going to settings; no need for a separate app...

Vesuri, is it possible to skip the reboot that is required? I know its safer with a reboot but like the Theme Changer app, after changing the theme and waiting for 15secs, the phone has all the effects applied hence skipping the need for a reboot...Also is there a soft implementation done first? For example, if the theme is broken, does the app check first before applying?

Lastly, Vesuri your app is targetting the blanco folder...how about a plugin to change the boot Nokia picture from the base folder?

Thanks once again for the brilliant app..

Vesuri 2012-07-26 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1243339)
Vesuri, is it possible to skip the reboot that is required? I know its safer with a reboot but like the Theme Changer app, after changing the theme and waiting for 15secs, the phone has all the effects applied hence skipping the need for a reboot...

The problem here is that the new theme kind of gets applied but not completely in all applications. For example, if you change the theme, the home screen icons don't necessarily change automatically but will change when you tap on them, which will be confusing. Also, if the theme changes things like status bar icons, the new icons won't be immediately taken into effect. There are various places in which the new theme won't be taken into effect automatically so it's better to just reboot. All this is caused by incomplete implementations of applications and is similar to why the device needs to be rebooted when the system language is changed. It's possible to change the system language on the fly but applications that won't react to the change properly will still use the previous language, so the easier way out (rebooting) was chosen.

Quote:

Also is there a soft implementation done first? For example, if the theme is broken, does the app check first before applying?

Unfortunately not. I'm not entirely sure at this point if this would be possible or not. If yes, this is definitely something to be included. Also, if it would be possible to reset the theme to blanco if the device ends up in a reboot loop that would be also a thing to do.

Quote:

Lastly, Vesuri your app is targetting the blanco folder...how about a plugin to change the boot Nokia picture from the base folder?

The application is not actually targetting any folder. The only thing it does is checks which directories under /usr/share/themes contain valid MeeGo Touch themes and shows them in the theme selector. Base is excluded since the system won't work as expected if Base is chosen. The application does NOT replace any files from anywhere. That'd be a hack which is better left off for those who want to use hacks and know what they are doing. It should also be noted that the Nokia boot picture is first shown by the boot loader (and is embedded to the boot loader) and then by /usr/bin/MProgressIndicator. Thus, it's not possible to change the logo altogether, especially not without hacking.

jleholeho 2012-07-26 21:37

can you please help me a little bit here?:
once I set magenta theme and phone restarted the Search app doesn't work anymore...it launches but never searches for anything, it's basically empty...I went back to blanco, rebooted again, still the same...

thedead1440 2012-07-26 21:38

Vesuri for the reboot loop thing what i had in mind was something like what MAG has implemented in his MT-Toggles whereby if the device goes into a reboot loop, “safe mode" is activated with all plugins disabled...unfortunately due to personal reasons he has closed source it...

jleholeho 2012-07-26 21:54

apt-get update gave me this:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory(/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

thedead1440 2012-07-26 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleholeho (Post 1243497)
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory(/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

ok either wait a few mins and try again or do "rm -r /var/lib/dpkg/lock"

jleholeho 2012-07-26 22:11

rm: can't remove '/var/lib/dpkg/lock': No suchfile or directory
?

edit: apt-get update done this time but Search app still doesn't work...keyboard emerges immediately as usually but the little circle keeps running without any result and no files show up as before

Vesuri 2012-07-26 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleholeho (Post 1243488)
can you please help me a little bit here?:
once I set magenta theme and phone restarted the Search app doesn't work anymore...it launches but never searches for anything, it's basically empty...I went back to blanco, rebooted again, still the same...

Such behavior has absolutely nothing to do with this application. This application doesn't do anything else than sets the value of two GConf keys to the name of the theme. It does not and cannot break Search, which relies on Tracker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleholeho (Post 1243497)

Nothing to do with this application either and is completely normal. In Harmattan the package management is handled by pkgmgrd, which locks the package database because it uses it directly. If pkgmgrd is running apt-get can't be used. This is expected behavior. Don't use apt-get if you don't need it. killall pkgmgrd also helps if you absolutely need to use it but usually it shouldn't be necessary. The pkgmgr command line command can be used to install and uninstall user packages instead of apt-get and dpkg.

Vesuri 2012-07-26 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1243489)
Vesuri for the reboot loop thing what i had in mind was something like what MAG has implemented in his MT-Toggles whereby if the device goes into a reboot loop, “safe mode" is activated with all plugins disabled...unfortunately due to personal reasons he has closed source it...

The interesting thing is whether there's a way to get such a reboot loop checker to run before it's too late. If the theme daemon, the home screen or system UI keep dying the device reboots, so such a check must be made before trying to start the theme daemon, the home screen or system UI. I haven't checked yet whether there's a valid way to add such a startup item from a 3rd party (Store) package.

Vesuri 2012-07-26 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleholeho (Post 1243511)
rm: can't remove '/var/lib/dpkg/lock': No suchfile or directory

killall pkgmgrd; apt-get update

would first kill the package manager daemon, then run apt-get update.

Quote:

apt-get update done this time but Search app still doesn't work...

apt-get update updates the local package index with the latest changes made in repositories. It will never fix a misbehaving application since it doesn't even touch any application files.

Quote:

keyboard emerges immediately as usually but the little circle keeps running without any result and no files show up as before

The Search application doesn't get the results from Tracker. Try running

tracker-control

to see what the Tracker is doing. It should probably find processes for tracker-store and tracker-miner-fs and the Store and Miners should report their statuses.

However, this is getting off topic. The Search application won't get broken by changing the theme but is a separate issue and thus should be troubleshooted elsewhere.

jleholeho 2012-07-26 22:29

alright, I never blamed your mod, it's probably because I noticed the Search not working just after I set magenta theme...
what do you suggest though?
thanks a lot, gonna try that...

jleholeho 2012-07-26 22:44

I'm really sorry I'm messing with off topic things, let me please finish this..
tracker:
tracker-control
Found 224 PIDs…
Found process ID 1386 for 'tracker-store'

Store:
27 Jul 2012, 00:41:34: ✓ Store - Idle

Miners:
27 Jul 2012, 00:41:34: ✓ Applications - Idle
27 Jul 2012, 00:41:34: ✓ Userguides - Idle
27 Jul 2012, 00:41:35: ✓ File System - Idle

Search still not working...

flotron 2012-07-27 03:28

working good with my theme: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...76#post1238876

I would like to know how to call dependencies from this app to publish to ovi store my theme

Vesuri 2012-07-27 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by flotron (Post 1243589)
working good with my theme: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...76#post1238876

I would like to know how to call dependencies from this app to publish to ovi store my theme

Unfortunately dependencies to/between Store applications are not supported or possible.

There's an example theme package on the Theme settings support page with source that contains an application which checks during installation whether Theme settings is installed or not and if not, asks the user whether to open the Store to install Theme settings. The package is also such that it should pass the Store QA process and show up properly in the Package Manager. Theme packages could be based on this package.

Vesuri 2012-08-02 15:53

Re: "Theme settings" removed from the Store by Nokia (was: [Announce] Theme settings)

After making the application "Theme settings" available for a week Nokia Store QA has decided to remove it from the Store:

Quote:

We will be unpublishing your content, Theme settings, from the Nokia Store for the following reason(s):

Themes are not supported and files that modify system functionality are not permitted on Nokia Store.
The following response has been sent to the Store QA:

Quote:

Please put the application back into the Store immediately since the reasons given for unpublishing are not valid.
  1. "Themes are not supported" is not true because ANY user can run the command "gconftool --set --type string /meegotouch/theme/name pelle" to set the theme name to pelle. The only thing this application does is it offers an user interface for this instead of typing this on the command line. An application that sets the value of a GConf key just cannot violate any content guidelines.
  2. "Files that modify system functionality are not permitted on Nokia Store" is not a valid reason since there are NUMEROUS applications "modifying system functionality" in the Store. There are applications for modifying how calls are answered, applications that modify the contents of the standby screen and so on. They "modify system functionality" even more as this application does. THE ONLY THING THIS APPLICATION DOES IS SETS THE VALUE OF A GCONF KEY.
  3. The application passed the QA just fine, was available for some time and got very positive feedback from users.

Since Nokia Store QA has a proven history of failing packages for absolutely no real reason this wasn't such a surprise, but since they decided to unpublish the content altogether this may be a more difficult case. There's nothing more the author can do about this issue, so please don't ask. Someone mentioned a non-Store application called Theme changer which may suit your purposes. (You may want to let Nokia Store/Developer Support know what you think about such a decision but that's up to you.)

flotron 2012-08-02 16:02

Re: "Theme settings" removed from the Store by Nokia (was: [Announce] Theme settings)

Hi Vesuri, i think that QA decide to remove "theme settings" since i tried to publish my theme that depends from your app.

There is no logical reason:

QA reason: "Themes are notsupported on the MeeGo platform"

I tried two times but they refuse to approve it

Sorry that my theme maybe impact with you

thedead1440 2012-08-02 16:21

I'll be firing an email to Nokia Store regarding this too...I hope everyone here is able to express their outrage to Nokia Store so that they re-instate Theme Settings just like they did for coderus' extra accounts plugin...

Edit: Sent my mail...

Arie 2012-08-02 17:39

Vesuri, why not release this as a community project or hide theme settings in the next version of Homescreen settings?

wook_sf 2012-08-02 18:55

fight behind the scene...
OVI killed many good apps, themes....not just on meego/maemo but on s60 too...even more there than anywhere else..
so, let's make ovi incompatible with us...

Vesuri 2012-08-02 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1246551)
Vesuri, why not release this as a community project or hide theme settings in the next version of Homescreen settings?

Those interested in non-Store apps can use ThemeChanger as before (or just use gconftool-2 :)). This was just my effort to have something available for users looking for software from the Store. I thought about including it in Home screen settings but it doesn't really belong there and I'd rather keep that one available :)

Theme settings is still available from its support page if someone wants it. Of course, it's still possible the Store QA people change their mind...

MarcAnton 2012-08-02 19:28

"Themes are not supported and files that modify system functionality are not permitted on Nokia Store."

stupid explanatory statements :p

@Vesuri, thanks for your great apps

omar451451 2012-08-02 20:21

These ppl r trying the best to make meego the worst supported phone ever !! But this hardly shakes the spirits of the devs !!! Keep on going devs !!!!!

wook_sf 2012-08-02 20:29

Vesuri, thank you for gconftool-2 command :D

JacobeanThomas 2012-08-04 02:58

Do you guys also have the 'Faster Theme' in Theme Settings, or is it just me? What does it do?

thedead1440 2012-08-04 03:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobeanThomas (Post 1247178)
Do you guys also have the 'Faster Theme' in Theme Settings, or is it just me? What does it do?

well f2thak's theme is called F.D.B theme/Faster theme so you must have installed it thats why its giving u the option to choose it...

F2thaK 2012-08-04 03:15

F__K Nokia, we dont need their support. Themes work. 'nuff said.

MohammadAG 2012-08-04 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1243489)

Safe mode is implemented in unrestricted-system-ui, not MT-Toggles.
Both are still open source and on github, with the safe mode implementation here https://github.com/harmattan/unrestr...b3148fb022977c

I'm not sure how to do something similar out of process without modifying meegotouchhome

Also I'm pretty sure appsformeego would take themechanger in

thedead1440 2012-08-04 10:48

MAG themechanger is already on apps4meego since a long time ;)

JacobeanThomas 2012-08-04 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1247180)
well f2thak's theme is called F.D.B theme/Faster theme so you must have installed it thats why its giving u the option to choose it...

I figured as much. I remember that I installed and uninstalled this before installing Theme Settings.

Maybe I uninstalled it incorrectly, or the folder wasn't removed properly. The only noticeable change when using it is that it enables landscape mode in homescreen, but the transitions didn't get any faster, or maybe I just didn't notice it.

In any case, everything is working just fine and it doesn't seem to cause any problems so far.

thedead1440 2012-08-04 11:46

if you want to check if you still have any themes installed just enter in terminal as root:

ls /usr/share/themes/

only blanco and base should be there...if there is anything else it means there is another theme there...you can also browse to this location using Filebox...

lastly if you want to remove a 3rd party theme just enter in terminal as root:

Code:

rm -rf /usr/share/themes/THEME_NAME_WHICH_IS_THE_FOLDER_NAME_YOU_GOT_FROM_DOING_THE_LS_COMMAND

flotron 2012-08-04 20:35

theme settings is better than theme changer.
in my opinion

thedead1440 2012-08-05 03:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by flotron (Post 1247530)
theme settings is better than theme changer.
in my opinion

i agree... I posted this on the first page... That is why I wrote to Store Support too...hope you write in too building pressure...

Vesuri 2012-08-08 15:05

I understand some people may consider the following to be heresy or otherwise utterly disgusting, but I suppose some people may find this interesting:

http://vesuri.jormas.com/themesettin...eme-pear-1.pnghttp://vesuri.jormas.com/themesettin...eme-pear-2.png

This example theme only contains some launcher icons and a font definition but could be extended to modify all aspects of the UI like buttons, toolbars and so on. I'm not interested in continuing the project myself but if someone wants to spend (a lot :)) of time with such a theme I can provide this example as a starting point.

Note that the icon labels don't look as good as on a certain other device because there is no drop shadow in the labels. Unfortunately those can't be added without touching the code.

flotron 2012-08-08 15:35

very nice
but there are shadows in the second image... :confused:
you added with photoshop?

Vesuri 2012-08-08 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by flotron (Post 1249167)
but there are shadows in the second image... :confused:
you added with photoshop?

No, it's an actual screenshot. By this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesuri (Post 1249162)
Note that the icon labels don't look as good as on a certain other device because there is no drop shadow in the labels.

I meant that the labels (texts - Phone, Mail, Web...) do not have drop shadows (the same text in semi-transparent black color, blurred, 4 pixels below the white text). The icons do have fake drop shadows achieved by creating a drop shadow image from the generic icon mask with rounded corners and using that as a background image for the launcher buttons. This image also includes a generic drop shadow behind the labels but it's not specific for each label and thus doesn't "raise" the labels properly from the background.

flotron 2012-08-08 23:01

shadows are not precise,but they looks awesome.
i don't know how you add the effect to the theme. You tweak something, or there is some standard mod that gave you the possibility?

Creamy Goodness 2012-08-09 01:17

stupid QA, thanks for you effort though.

Vesuri 2012-08-10 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by flotron (Post 1249303)
i don't know how you add the effect to the theme. You tweak something, or there is some standard mod that gave you the possibility?

See my previous post. It's explained there:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesuri (Post 1249184)
The icons do have fake drop shadows achieved by creating a drop shadow image from the generic icon mask with rounded corners and using that as a background image for the launcher buttons.

In the CSS file this means

background-image: icon-l-launcherbutton-background;

where icon-l-launcherbutton-background is my pre-made shadow image. Works on an unmodified system, no patches needed.

Kozzi 2012-08-10 10:13

Can I alter configurations in meegotouchhome.css or statusarea.css from base theme using custom theme that inherits blanco ? Can you post a guide how to package a custom theme to .deb using Qt Creator ? This would seriously help many users in creating themes from custom icons.