maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Signup now for the MeeGo Conference 2010! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60454)

andy80 2010-08-16 08:12

Signup now for the MeeGo Conference 2010!

The signup form for the MeeGo Conference 2010 is now available: http://conference2010.meego.com/meeg...ce-2010-signup

The conference will be on November 15-17th in Dublin.
There are near 100 people already registered and a total of 600 spots available.
Registration and partecipation to the Conference is free.

There is also a call for paper form available at this address: http://conference2010.meego.com/node/add/session

You can find more information at these two addresses:

- http://conference2010.meego.com
- http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Conference_2010

qgil 2010-08-16 14:22

Re: Signup now for the MeeGo Conference 2010!

You can check the sessions that have been proposed at http://conference2010.meego.com/program

100 registered participants! http://conference2010.meego.com/attendees

Texrat 2010-08-16 17:00

I have also created a LinkedIn event listing for this: http://events.linkedin.com/MeeGo-Con...010/pub/393262

Add yourself so your network can check it out!

ossipena 2010-08-16 17:28

is there a possibility for getting sponsored by nokia or some other instance with travel expenses etc?

smoku 2010-08-16 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy80 (Post 787778)
The signup form for the MeeGo Conference 2010 is now available: http://conference2010.meego.com/meeg...ce-2010-signup

Should the winners of coding competition register at this site?

buurmas 2010-08-16 17:42

Sounds exciting! I would love it if there could be audio & maybe even video recordings from the event. That can help spread some of the knowledge around.

kojacker 2010-08-16 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoku (Post 788334)

Good question, I actually came into the thread to ask it but you beat me to it - what say you, Quim? ;) That will take it from 100 people registered to 107 :D

Would you be able to help register the winners/reserve accommodation on their behalf? That would be awesome :cool:

andrewfblack 2010-08-16 18:08

I registered then unregistered because I noticed the Dates are a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I feel this was a bad idea because lots of people like myself have to set our vacation up at the first of the year and can't take 3 work days off to go.

I don't know if people's work was taken into consideration when planning the event this year or if this event is more for the professional dev that will be paid by their work to go to this event.

Texrat 2010-08-16 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossipena (Post 788330)
is there a possibility for getting sponsored by nokia or some other instance with travel expenses etc?

There is a sponsorship request option on the registration form. It will be handled by the Linux Foundation, and will address travel/hotel. A committee has been put together to process requests, and the maemo.org community council is participating as it did with Maemo Summits.

qgil 2010-08-16 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoku (Post 788334)

Yes, please. Although you might want to wait until this is fixed since you have to explain somewhere that your are winners of the contest: Bug 5312 - Field for explaining why to be sponsored @ MeeGo Conference

There is a plan to record and broadcast the sessions, at least as good as in the rest of Linux Foundation events.

Yes, we thought about the dilemma of organizing the event during the week or in a weekend. The conclusion was that most MeeGo platform developers involved and most MeeGo professional stakeholders prefer to have the event during the week. I believe this is a usual practice for Linux Foundation events and most conferences during more that 1-2 days. Sorry, it's impossible to make everybody happy in a big event like this.

kojacker 2010-08-16 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewfblack (Post 788373)
I registered then unregistered because I noticed the Dates are a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I feel this was a bad idea because lots of people like myself have to set our vacation up at the first of the year and can't take 3 work days off to go.

I don't know if people's work was taken into consideration when planning the event this year or if this event is more for the professional dev that will be paid by their work to go to this event.

I understand your feelings andrew, I feel the same way. I have registered for the 3 days and I dearly hope I can go, but it means I need to work up 3 days of flexi time just to get the time off from my manager. I can't really afford the €200 for two nights hotel anyway, so I'll try and pick my days to which has the most interesting topics or to avoid the day of the Randoll G Arnold lecture.. only kidding Texrat! ;):p

Most conferences Ive been to have had a weekend element, I hope that's something that can be considered in future MeeGo conferences (even as a convention/side show to the main event). Although I'd like to be there Im pretty sure the conference is not aimed at people like me, I'm really just a curious hobbyist trying to learn a few things and get into a big corporate event :o Also, I just wanna be nosey and see what the people on here look like in real life .. well that's the main reason to be honest :p

Edit:
I actually just contacted D4 hotels myself and booked Nov 15-17 for £90 which is €110. Thats for both nights, not inc breakfast.

According to the Meego conference organisers, "a discounted hotel rate (from €105 per night) has been organised at the nearby D4 hotels" - ok that does include breakfast and I don't know how fancy the rooms are, but it's also double the price! If you're strapped for cash and just want a standard room in the same hotel with a double bed all to yourself and wi-fi my suggestion would be to make your own arrangements and save yourself €100.

Texrat 2010-08-17 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kojacker (Post 788708)
I'll try and pick my days to which has the most interesting topics or to avoid the day of the Randoll G Arnold lecture.. only kidding Texrat! ;):p

Oh, trust me, I learned my lesson from last year. If I'm ever asked again to turn a 20 minute talk into 5, I will politely decline. :o

GeneralAntilles 2010-08-17 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewfblack (Post 788373)

If you haven't realized it yet, the MeeGo project really isn't interested in unaffiliated contributors, so best get used to it or move on. . . .

andrewfblack 2010-08-17 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 788768)
If you haven't realized it yet, the MeeGo project really isn't interested in unaffiliated contributors, so best get used to it or move on. . . .

I've moved on, my N900 is now nothing more then a toy to me.

qgil 2010-08-17 04:31

What is the complaint exactly?

It's a 3 day conference with expected professional quality but registration free of charge and a sponsorship program specially dedicated to unaffiliated contributors. Free lunch and coffee breaks and probably free social events every evening. Free streaming and video downloads organized for those willing to follow and not able to come. Not the usual setting of a conference targeting a corporate audience.

A Sunday program is being discussed based on initiatives that, until today, have been proposed by unaffiliated contributors in the MeeGo Forum. If there would be critical mass and initiative for a weekend program I'm sure that something could be worked out.

What else do you want? Please propose at the meego-community list, where the organization is being discussed. How does the ranting here help?

Also, I haven't looked in detail at the sessions proposed and the participants registered but I'd say the level of affiliated vs non-affiliated are similar to those of the Maemo Summit.

btw, the prices for the recommended hotel correspond to double rooms. Share the room and you get half price. Getting cheap and big hotels right next to the venue in a city like Dublin was not possible. The organization made some compromises and of course you are free to set your own arrangements.

danramos 2010-08-17 04:43

If I was accustomed to traveling abroad outside US borders, this would look GREAT! I look forward to seeing the broadcasts/recordings!! Will there also be any US-side conferences in the future (would be ESPECIALLY good to have near/around Intel's HQ in Silicon Valley, if you want to involve other manufacturers)?

Texrat 2010-08-17 05:31

At the risk of pissing off people here I consider friends, let's keep this one on topic, please. I have my issues with the subject matter also so I sympathize but let's not drag it into every thread. Thanks guys. No offense meant.

Texrat 2010-08-17 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 788889)
If I was accustomed to traveling abroad outside US borders, this would look GREAT! I look forward to seeing the broadcasts/recordings!! Will there also be any US-side conferences in the future (would be ESPECIALLY good to have near/around Intel's HQ in Silicon Valley, if you want to involve other manufacturers)?

As I understand it, the plan is to sync conferences up with the major OS release schedule, and mix up the locations. I believe there has been tentative talk to hold the next major MeeGo-oriented event in the US. I have also been informed that a Qt roadshow is planned for the US next year. I will keep everyone informed of what I know on both counts when I know it (unless Quim beats me to it, as he likely will).

danramos 2010-08-17 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 788920)
As I understand it, the plan is to sync conferences up with the major OS release schedule, and mix up the locations. I believe there has been tentative talk to hold the next major MeeGo-oriented event in the US. I have also been informed that a Qt roadshow is planned for the US next year. I will keep everyone informed of what I know on both counts when I know it (unless Quim beats me to it, as he likely will).

That would rock. So. Much. :) Thanks, Tex!

kojacker 2010-08-17 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 788881)
btw, the prices for the recommended hotel correspond to double rooms. Share the room and you get half price. Getting cheap and big hotels right next to the venue in a city like Dublin was not possible. The organization made some compromises and of course you are free to set your own arrangements.

Thanks Quim, the double room is what I have booked for myself. So Im not sure how it could cost €200 to share a room in the D4 whereas you can book a double room for yourself and not sharing for €110. But it doesnt matter, there is the option for both :)

For example, I took one of the hotels mentioned by the MeeGo team (D4 Hotels Ballsbridge Inn, beside the Aviva) and priced it on Expedia for November 15-17 and the rate is the same as what I paid, £90 (€110) for the two nights.

Quote:

Double

Breakfast not included

Mon 15-Nov-2010 to Wed 17-Nov-2010 Mon Tue Total rate*
Availability request: 1 room

£90.40
Book It

* Expedia Special Rate totals include: taxes, service fees, and extra guest charges.
1 double bed or 2 single beds. Premium bedding. Desk. Satellite television service. Cable/satellite television channels. Direct-dial phone. Voice mail. Shower/tub combination. Handheld shower. Hair dryer. Iron/ironing board. Trouser press. Wheelchair accessible. Climate control.
I checked into this further, and what appears to have happened is that the more expensive rooms (like the executive rooms and the family rooms) have been block booked. If these have been reserved for the conference, that is maybe why it's more expensive. However, cheaper rate rooms are available at the same hotels for those who enquire directly rather than through the MeeGo conference site.

I don't mean this to be ranting or anything, I apologise if it's come across that way :o. For those sponsored by Nokia/Intel, their employer, etc it doesn't matter, right, cos they aren't paying for it. All I'm suggesting is that for those on a budget they may wish to approach the hotel directly and stay at the same hotel but for half the price as paying for it through the MeeGo conference website. €100 is a big saving, that's a lot of beer tokens! It might mean the difference between someone being able to afford to stay 1 night or 2, so I wanted to mention it in case it helped someone.. thats all :)

Reggie 2010-08-17 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 788560)
Yes, please. Although you might want to wait until this is fixed since you have to explain somewhere that your are winners of the contest: Bug 5312 - Field for explaining why to be sponsored @ MeeGo Conference

I actually brought that up immediately with Dawn when I saw the form. She said that folks should complete their Bio in their user accounts: http://bit.ly/cFY9HC

I guess this can be discussed later today in the meeting: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=1137

EIPI 2010-08-17 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 789259)
I actually brought that up immediately with Dawn when I saw the form. She said that folks should complete their Bio in their user accounts: http://bit.ly/cFY9HC

I guess this can be discussed later today in the meeting: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=1137

I saw only a few attendees include the BIO, but it seemed like an obvious spot to detail who you are, and what your contributions were.

GeneralAntilles 2010-08-17 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 788881)
Also, I haven't looked in detail at the sessions proposed and the participants registered but I'd say the level of affiliated vs non-affiliated are similar to those of the Maemo Summit.

Then it's interesting to see the conference scheduled in such a way as to make it more difficult for unaffiliated persons to attend.

kojacker 2010-08-17 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 789319)
Then it's interesting to see the conference scheduled in such a way as to make it more difficult for unaffiliated persons to attend.

It's something I raised on the MeeGo forum back in May

Quote:

I assume this has already been argued and settled, but is there a reason why not to have the conference on/or stretching into the weekend? It would enable those persons who cant take the three days off work to also get involved with it.
As Quim explained at the time
Quote:

kojacker, the election of a conference during the week has precisely to do with the assumption that a majority of participants are professionals that prefer to keep their weekends for their own businesses. Compared to (say) the Maemo Summit, in Dublin we are expecting a lot more professional MeeGo & upstream platform developers, more professional application developers, device vendors and other partners. This is the bet and the focus. We will evaluate it after the conference.
I think the conference is aimed squarely at the professional who's on a work trip (or a 'work jolly', as we like to call them :p), it's not really organised around people like myself or maybe yourself GeneralAntilles. But as Quim says the door is open to the hobbyist or unaffiliated - they're very welcome to attend but you're correct it is much harder for them to attend. Things like the hotel saving I mentioned on the previous page may help make the trip more affordable, but if you cant get out of work then you cant get out of work :)

qgil 2010-08-17 13:18

kojacker, you have a very good point. May I ask you to explain it at the meego-community list? Amy is the person who needs to know, maybe she can get better prices from the hotes if she knows about this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 789319)

Nowadays the standard for +2 day events focusing on developers is to pick a choice during the week. This is true not only for Apple and Google events but also for projects with a clear interest in unaffiliated contributors like GNOME, Ubuntu or Mozilla. As said it's the standard for Linux Foundation events too.

The alternative would be to place the conference on a weekend, making it more difficult for professional developers and MeeGo stakeholders to attend. Currently most of the hot areas of the MeeGo project rely on current and professional contributors.

But again, if someone is willing to push MeeGo project activities during a weekend (that weekend in Dublin or some other later and somewhere else) please get involved and go ahead with a proposal. In the meantime, please understand that we focus on the current plan. Organizing a first MeeGo conference of 3 days and 600 expected participants is already a complex task with no automatic guarantee of success.

andrewfblack 2010-08-17 13:22

qgil your right you guys do a lot to put on a great conferance.

qgil 2010-08-17 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 788889)
Will there also be any US-side conferences in the future (would be ESPECIALLY good to have near/around Intel's HQ in Silicon Valley, if you want to involve other manufacturers)?

We decided to go for Europe now, since this is where most of the non-Intel/Nokia Linux platform developers and actual or potential stakeholders are.

USA is a good candidate for next year, but there is nothing planned at this point since all the focus is being put in a successful event this year.

Specially in San Francisco Bay Area, a successful conference requires a MeeGo platform and developer story backed by devices and business prospects, able to stand next to the strong local players. We will get there and this first conference in Europe will help reaching that state.

In the meantime if someone is up for MeeGo chat and some drinks (or something more serious) there is an invitation for MeeGo gatherings at SF Bay Area at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60446 . We are happy supporting MeeGo gatherings elsewhere in the US or the rest of the World. If you are interested please go to meego-community or the MeeGo forum and have your say.

RevdKathy 2010-08-17 16:47

Can I ask a slightly odd question about sponsorship?

Having been sponsored for Barcelona, it would seem very cheeky of me to ask again for Dublin. But I'm a mere end-user, for whom an awful lot of the conference content will go over my head, and that's an awful lot of money (and three days annual leave) just to 'be there', to keep my head around what is happening in meego.

What I was wondering was whether it is possible to apply for 'partial sponsorship' to encourage attendance, without asking the sponsors to fott the whole bill.

Texrat 2010-08-17 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevdKathy (Post 789557)
Can I ask a slightly odd question about sponsorship?

Having been sponsored for Barcelona, it would seem very cheeky of me to ask again for Dublin. But I'm a mere end-user, for whom an awful lot of the conference content will go over my head, and that's an awful lot of money (and three days annual leave) just to 'be there', to keep my head around what is happening in meego.

What I was wondering was whether it is possible to apply for 'partial sponsorship' to encourage attendance, without asking the sponsors to fott the whole bill.

Submit yourself. All the committee can do is say no.

I've asked about partial sponsorships, too, particularly for MeeGo Greeters. No definitive answer yet... I will keep trying.

RevdKathy 2010-08-17 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 789561)
Submit yourself. All the committee can do is say no.

I've asked about partial sponsorships, too, particularly for MeeGo Greeters. No definitive answer yet... I will keep trying.

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking. It seems wrong to ask for the full sponsorship for non-technical people like end-users, greeters, etc. But at the same time, some contribution might make it possible for people who otherwise can't afford the full cost. (Like me.)

mark_ireland 2010-08-20 08:23

Hi,
as I live in Dublin if I can be of any help to anyone or you need something checking out I'll do my best
:-)