maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   N9 SMS Malfunction (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84093)

Muzimak 2012-05-06 16:44

N9 SMS Malfunction

Hey guys, I once posted about this but can't seem to find the thread. This didn't bother me much but recently I've heard enough.

Basically.... When I receive SMS's sometimes the phone doesn't seem to know from whom it comes from, EG, Peter sends me an SMS, on the home screen it shows Peter, you then tap on the notification and the message with Peter name comes up Blank, then you go to the Messages App and U see that U have a new message from Jack, you open the message and there is Peter's message under Jack's name. Now this gets more annoying when you receive a message from a number that's not stored in the phone, and it goes under Peter's name, the message is requesting that U call back when you do decide to call you end up calling Peter instead of the right person because the sender's number is gone. Any resolution to this?

rainisto 2012-05-06 16:57

Re: N9 SMS Malfunction

and your not running any tweak applications like faster N9, which can kill tracker processes and mess up the sms databases?

mikecomputing 2012-05-06 17:05

Probadly related to this nasty bug :(

http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=113

You probadly should reply about it there with good info. But avoid stupid comments like "Please fix this ASAP, this is frustrating" blablabla.... Cause that will probadly not help anyone. And we already knows Harmattan team is VERY limited team. And readed a tweet today that yet some more Meego/Linux teams has know left Nokia :(

Informative how it happens is way better.

Lumiaman 2012-05-06 17:19

have that bug too. Very intermittent.

Schturman 2012-05-07 00:04

I also had this bug before reflashing.. Now seems ok..

smcsa 2012-05-07 05:42

Same problem. 2 times.

colin.stephane 2012-05-07 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1202613)
and your not running any tweak applications like faster N9, which can kill tracker processes and mess up the sms databases?

I agree with rainisto,

I personally ended up in this step after some days of usage without problems.

Even I am sure FasterN9 caused the problem (never have this problem before installation of FastnerN9), it look like this tracker database update/management/stability need a serious revamp of code ...

I read in many threads here at TMO troubles about the tracker database corrupted randomly without logical explanation imho ...

A++

Schturman 2012-05-07 08:11

I don't had this problem with faster n9, i had this before..

delmar 2012-05-07 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schturman (Post 1202888)
I don't had this problem with faster n9, i had this before..

The same here since the begin with PR 1.0 till actually PR 1.2 and I had never "faster N9".

ibrakalifa 2012-05-07 08:35

Ur incept is active?

smcsa 2012-05-07 09:21

I don't have FasterN9

ibrakalifa 2012-05-07 09:49

delete all your messages

Schturman 2012-05-07 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1202932)
delete all your messages

Yes, but this is a temporary solution.. After reflash, two weeks ago, i don't have this problem..

ibrakalifa 2012-05-07 10:20

clearing device is simplest way

cotyrocksteady 2012-05-07 15:23

i have also seen this:

You receive a message
you can see it in the lock screen
You swipe.
empty chat window
You receive the same sms again,
swipe and there is nothing there.
And again the same situation. Suddenly the message apears.

BlackWindEXE 2012-05-07 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotyrocksteady (Post 1203068)
i have also seen this:

You receive a message
you can see it in the lock screen
You swipe.
empty chat window
You receive the same sms again,
swipe and there is nothing there.
And again the same situation. Suddenly the message apears.

This happens to me a lot. Not to mention the lag that comes in with it. Together, the two drive me up the wall haha.

Clearing cache and deleting messages only barely helps.

Muzimak 2012-05-07 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1202613)

Nope, no funny tweaks at all, i ain't that good lol, this has been happening since the phone was brand new, upgraded to 1.1.1 then 1.2. still the same!

Muzimak 2012-05-07 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWindEXE (Post 1203079)
This happens to me a lot. Not to mention the lag that comes in with it. Together, the two drive me up the wall haha.

Clearing cache and deleting messages only barely helps.

Yeah I forgot to mention the Lag too, U Swype to open the SMS, and U get stuck to a blank screen.....

mikecomputing 2012-05-11 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin.stephane (Post 1202878)
I agree with rainisto,

I personally ended up in this step after some days of usage without problems.

Even I am sure FasterN9 caused the problem (never have this problem before installation of FastnerN9), it look like this tracker database update/management/stability need a serious revamp of code ...

I read in many threads here at TMO troubles about the tracker database corrupted randomly without logical explanation imho ...

A++

Hmm if its tracker related it is atleast good news, because that is fully open source.

venturi 2012-05-11 20:20

So anybody has a permanent fix or not?

Muzimak 2012-05-12 13:13

It just happened to me again a few minutes back.... This sucks

Lumiaman 2012-05-12 13:23

I had it only twice, and it has not occurred in the past 1 month or so. Hope its fixed in the new update, if it ever rolls out

Muzimak 2012-05-12 15:36

With me it's a daily thing :(

cotyrocksteady 2012-05-14 13:16

Please, vote here and describe the steps followed to reproduce the error, any detail that you provide may be useful for the nokia people to find and correct the error.

http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=113

I have already supplied my info. The more, the better :)

achilles333 2012-05-22 04:00

damn! yesterday I had this issue. I deleted all conversations and it is working then. after going through this thread and the comments in bug description, this bug is hard to reproduce.

in my case this happened for the first time. as far as i remember this happened to me, when the messages application is open and I received message alert on status bar and I clicked on the alert and found that message window is blank

I'm going to reproduce by sending multiple messages when messages app is open. lets see!

Muzimak 2012-05-22 08:19

Ones U are aware of it U'll notice its been happening for a while and U just never noticed.... Most people don't use SMS thanx to Whatsapp, email, Skype etc...

godofwar424 2012-05-22 17:57

Tracker has been a nightmare since back when I had the N900.

Conversations used to just disappear, and then when sending a text it would say Sending forever and never send, then closing the convo and reopening would not show your sent texts..

Same kinda weirdness occurs in the N9. One thing I wish Nokia had more thoroughly tested when under intense situations (lots of texts coming in over an hour period) ect.

Muzimak 2012-07-08 08:21

I can confirm, PR1.3 didn't solve this problem, this sucks.

praveenchand 2012-08-24 07:22

me too confirm, i face this problem today and yes its PR 1.3

pishta74 2012-10-26 17:55

Hello all,

PR1.3 and just happend to me too. Quite inconvinient....

So, any development about this? I guess not, but asking is as much as I can to at this moment.

thedead1440 2012-10-26 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pishta74 (Post 1285962)
Hello all,

PR1.3 and just happend to me too. Quite inconvinient....

So, any development about this? I guess not, but asking is as much as I can to at this moment.

What happened to yours? Can you give all details? We can try to fix it without resetting tracker...

johndanvic 2012-10-26 20:56

This happends to me too. Any updates on this? :|

michan 2012-11-02 23:11

I have solved this. I found the instructions on how to do it in the bug report thread.

The problem is solved by reinstalling the firmware. Note that just upgrading it via the program manager in MeeGo doesn't work.

Download the firmware to your computer with "NaviFirmEx". Make sure that you download the apropriate firmware for your N9.
Then install it on the phone with "Flasher".

thedead1440 2012-11-03 04:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by michan (Post 1289204)
I have solved this. I found the instructions on how to do it in the bug report thread.

The problem is solved by reinstalling the firmware. Note that just upgrading it via the program manager in MeeGo doesn't work.

Download the firmware to your computer with "NaviFirmEx". Make sure that you download the apropriate firmware for your N9.
Then install it on the phone with "Flasher".

This step that you have mentioned doesn't help as its simply resetting your firmware...Any software issue can be solved by doing a re-flash but that's not the point here...

The aim is to attempt to solve issues not only without doing a reflash but also not resetting tracker...

Wallace 2012-11-06 18:01

Hi,

is there a fix for this mixed sender SMS problem? (without flashing)

Leinad 2012-11-06 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace (Post 1291141)
Hi,

is there a fix for this mixed sender SMS problem? (without flashing)

AFAIK not yet. This bug is as old as harmattan and no one found a fix or at least the reason for the problem. And sadly it seems no one found out, where and how SMS are stored, so it is quite hard to investigate.

What i wanted to try, when i get the problem next time is N9QT -> SMS-Backup -> delete all SMS -> and SMS-reimport, maybe this could help, but i did not have the problem since i deleted all SMS last time (about a week ago). Maybe you can try...

Wallace 2012-11-06 18:38

Well this problem is in my doter's secondhand N9 (my unit newer had this) so I am not modifying this for now.

I have deleted all SMS messages an now three latest SMS came right but I am afraid this happens again. Phone is synkin contacts to Nokia account daily, can that be part of this problem?

smcsa 2012-11-06 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leinad (Post 1291150)
AFAIK not yet. This bug is as old as harmattan and no one found a fix or at least the reason for the problem. And sadly it seems no one found out, where and how SMS are stored, so it is quite hard to investigate.

What i wanted to try, when i get the problem next time is N9QT -> SMS-Backup -> delete all SMS -> and SMS-reimport, maybe this could help, but i did not have the problem since i deleted all SMS last time (about a week ago). Maybe you can try...

You meen N9QT have a function for SMS backup ? If so, the developer know where SMS are stored :confused:

Leinad 2012-11-06 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace (Post 1291158)
Phone is synkin contacts to Nokia account daily, can that be part of this problem?

Nope, don't think so, i never synced to a Nokia account and got the problem...

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcsa (Post 1291159)
You meen N9QT have a function for SMS backup ? If so, the developer know where SMS are stored :confused:

That's what i thought, but no. He used the "Backup Framework", so no need to know where they are really stored.
This script is integrated into N9QT:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83166

So, if anyone found out, where SMS are stored, please share your knowledge :)

lovewilliam 2012-11-10 12:30

Again! I encontered this problem today!

reboot does not help

tracker-stats
says:
Quote:

Meego Could not get Tracker statistics, .... database disk image is malformed
and I deleted
Quote:

/home/user/.cache/tracker/meta.db
then rebooted the device

everything becomes normal despite that I lost 200+ sms !