maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   GP2X Pandora (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=13552)

johnkzin 2007-12-21 03:45

GP2X Pandora

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/20/g...ubbed-pandora/

Linux based gaming portable, 4.3" 800x480 screen, dpad, 2 analog joysticks, qwerty keyboard, 2 SDHC slots, USB host and USB OTG, Wifi (b and g), TV-out.

Roc Ingersol 2007-12-21 13:10

Re: GP2X Pandora

It's definitely in the same ballpark. Moreso than most everything else that gets lumped in this forum.

Karel Jansens 2007-12-21 14:10

I have already started a trust fund for a Pandora.

Me wantee.

gemniii42 2007-12-21 14:35

Will it fit in a shirt pocket?

Karel Jansens 2007-12-21 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemniii42 (Post 113022)
Will it fit in a shirt pocket?

That depends. White shirts, I don't see a problem, but it will certainly stick out on a hawaiian shirt.

LordFu 2007-12-21 16:58

It should be clarified that the device has no official connection with the GP2X, Gamepark, or Gamepark Holdings.

It is being designed and manufactured by two of the biggest distributors of the GP2X and is considered the "spiritual successor" to that line of products. But, otherwise, it's a completely independent operation.

It will be bad-***. The 2x developer community appears to be fully behind it, and I will have one ASAP. I really like the design. There was much, much community discussion over what type of controls to include and how. The renderings look great, IMO.

johnkzin 2007-12-21 17:04

LordFu,

I wonder what sorts of non-game software it will have... anything lined up?

productivity stuff?
PIM stuff?
connectivity stuff (ssh, vnc, etc.)?
communications stuff (instant messengers)?

I think it might have been cool to see it done as a trifold (so that the keyboard isn't so close to the game controls, looks like you could accidentally type keys while playing with the analog sticks)... or as a twist screen (to use it as a tablet). But it does look like a nice design as it is.

Karel Jansens 2007-12-21 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordFu (Post 113164)
It should be clarified that the device has no official connection with the GP2X, Gamepark, or Gamepark Holdings.

It is being designed and manufactured by two of the biggest distributors of the GP2X and is considered the "spiritual successor" to that line of products. But, otherwise, it's a completely independent operation.

It will be bad-***. The 2x developer community appears to be fully behind it, and I will have one ASAP. I really like the design. There was much, much community discussion over what type of controls to include and how. The renderings look great, IMO.

Personally, I'd preferred it without the keyboard (but with something like Cellwriter), but in view of the other goodies, I can live with it.

PS1 fullspeed emulation, N64 possible, Xwindows, two analog joypads, twin SDHC slots: All yummy. And if they can keep the price of EUR 268... oh boy.

Also, a lot better as a media player than the Itablet.

Edit: I wonder what the "L" and "R" things are in this picture? Does the Pandora come with built-in earphones? That would be really nice...

Capt'n Corrupt 2007-12-21 18:11

It is also purported to have a touch screen and a mic for speech input.

In addition, it boasts a very active development community, and because it's linux and Open Source, should be capable of everything the ITs are.

This device, in function, looks to improve over the Nxxx series of tablet:
1) 100% (or very close, it seems) Open Source
2) Extremely active community
3) Plenty o' storage (2 SDs)
4) Game input as well as keyboard and touchscreen (missing tab/ctrl is troubling)
5) Speed (considering that current GP2X can emulate PSX games in software, this thing should be able to handle most tasks, including 3D desktop -- if one were so bold)

Of course, the current tablet has some features not found on this device:
1) Bluetooth (IMO a pretty significant feature)
2) Camera (not a big deal to me, as the web cam seems scarcely used)
3) Size (the pandora is 27mm thick! Quite a great deal thicker than the N810)
4) The N8xx has a 'z' key :P
5) The current tablet is real, and this Pandora device seems somewhat fake (renders only, and mass speculation from the community; though I've yet to read the posts)

This device has the Nxxx mostly beat in function. Time will tell if its really coming to market. If the reports are accurate, I'd buy one of these over an IT.

}:^j~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

LordFu 2007-12-21 18:12

Those are shoulder buttons for games that require them (PS1, etc.).

I think the keyboard is redundant, with the touchscreen and USB host, but with Amiga, Commadore (sp?), and some other commonly emulated systems it's a highly requested feature.

They're still finalizing the design, so if anyone has any suggestions, hop on over to gp32x.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 113235)
It is also purported to have a touch screen and a mic for speech input.

In addition, it boasts a very active development community, and because it's linux and Open Source, should be capable of everything the ITs are.

This device, in function, looks to improve over the Nxxx series of tablet:
1) 100% (or very close, it seems) Open Source
2) Extremely active community
3) Plenty o' storage (2 SDs)
4) Game input as well as keyboard and touchscreen (missing tab/ctrl is troubling)
5) Speed (considering that current GP2X can emulate PSX games in software, this thing should be able to handle most tasks, including 3D desktop -- if one were so bold)

Of course, the current tablet has some features not found on this device:
1) Bluetooth (IMO a pretty significant feature)
2) Camera (not a big deal to me, as the web cam seems scarcely used)
3) Size (the pandora is 27mm thick! Quite a great deal thicker than the N810)
4) The N8xx has a 'z' key :P
5) The current tablet is real, and this Pandora device seems somewhat fake (renders only, and mass speculation from the community; though I've yet to read the posts)

This device has the Nxxx mostly beat in function. Time will tell if its really coming to market. If the reports are accurate, I'd buy one of these over an IT.

YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

The device is coming, first part of next year. It's technically vaporware, at the moment, but as someone who's been active in that community, the development is real. I have every expectation that we will see production and commercial availability in the first half of '08.

Bluetooth will be available via a USB dongle, if so desired. I've never used it for anything, but I know some people feel it's important.

As for the keyboard layout, it could use some tweaking. Please, let them know what you think.

It's worth mentioning that the Pandora is going to be signifigantly more powerfull than the N8x0 series. It's using a newer design of similar hardware.

Capt'n Corrupt 2007-12-21 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 113174)
Edit: I wonder what the "L" and "R" things are in this picture? Does the Pandora come with built-in earphones? That would be really nice...

I would guess that they're shoulder buttons. Many game systems use shoulder buttons as an input, so a device made for game emulation would probably include them. The PSX uses four shoulder buttons, so the limit of only two shoulder buttons on the device is puzzling.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

LordFu 2007-12-21 18:35

It's been discussed, and the vast majority of PS1 games make very, very little use of the L2 and R2 buttons. It was basically a non-issue. I would have liked to see six face buttons, but it looks like it will be four. I understand why, but I still like six button configurations over four.

I edited my last post to respond to your previous post, FYI.

Karel Jansens 2007-12-21 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 113243)
I would guess that they're shoulder buttons. Many game systems use shoulder buttons as an input, so a device made for game emulation would probably include them. The PSX uses four shoulder buttons, so the limit of only two shoulder buttons on the device is puzzling.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Yeah, pro'lly shoulder buttons. Too bad, for once I thought a designer had actually had a good idea...

Karel Jansens 2007-12-21 18:40

Let's all not forget the one big plus the Pandora has over the Nokias: It has a frakking name!

No more wasted hours thinking up what to name the thing. Pure genius!

Capt'n Corrupt 2007-12-21 18:48

I think the keypad is great.

1) The space would otherwise be unused.
2) The keypad makes it easy to perform certain functions (surfing the web, configuration, shell) possible without obscuring screen contents.
3) It allows for emulation of different types of games (old pc games -- kings quest, commodore games, etc) without crazy interface work-arounds, or add-on hardware.
4) This is at heart a hacker device. Not including a keypad (for shell access, remote access, script generation, etc) that could easily be included, would be an unnecessary handicap.

I'd LOVE bluetooth in this device. It opens it up to many different hardware combinations and extends its usefulness tremendously. IMO the argument of including bluetooth would be similar to the argument of including Mini-USB.

Also, USB charging would eliminate a hole in the device, which could be a secondary USB port.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Capt'n Corrupt 2007-12-21 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordFu (Post 113236)
Those are shoulder buttons for games that require them (PS1, etc.).

I think the keyboard is redundant, with the touchscreen and USB host, but with Amiga, Commadore (sp?), and some other commonly emulated systems it's a highly requested feature.

They're still finalizing the design, so if anyone has any suggestions, hop on over to gp32x.com.

The device is coming, first part of next year. It's technically vaporware, at the moment, but as someone who's been active in that community, the development is real. I have every expectation that we will see production and commercial availability in the first half of '08.

Bluetooth will be available via a USB dongle, if so desired. I've never used it for anything, but I know some people feel it's important.

As for the keyboard layout, it could use some tweaking. Please, let them know what you think.

It's worth mentioning that the Pandora is going to be signifigantly more powerfull than the N8x0 series. It's using a newer design of similar hardware.

Wow! You're fast... I think I'll take you up on your idea and contribute to the Pandora forum. It's going take some time to read the many pages already.

In fact, I may contribute with some design renderings of my own...

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Capt'n Corrupt 2007-12-21 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 113263)
Let's all not forget the one big plus the Pandora has over the Nokias: It has a frakking name!

No more wasted hours thinking up what to name the thing. Pure genius!

True say! Seriously, the name is distinct and when branded correctly will not confuse as to the devices purpose.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

LordFu 2007-12-21 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnkzin (Post 113172)
LordFu,

I wonder what sorts of non-game software it will have... anything lined up?

productivity stuff?
PIM stuff?
connectivity stuff (ssh, vnc, etc.)?
communications stuff (instant messengers)?

I think it might have been cool to see it done as a trifold (so that the keyboard isn't so close to the game controls, looks like you could accidentally type keys while playing with the analog sticks)... or as a twist screen (to use it as a tablet). But it does look like a nice design as it is.

Well, whatever people are willing to port or design themselves will be available. I don't mean to be vague, but the sky is really the limit, I think.

They're talking about trying to stay compatible with the Debian arm-el (sp?) .deb's, which would make a lot of stuff available without any work. They've got some real linux gurus over there. Some of these guys coded a new GP2X firmware from scratch, which I consider pretty impressive.

Some people have suggested porting Maemo, which I think is a great idea, as I'm pretty fond of Maemo, myself. I think a KDE port is pretty likely, too. I'm really looking forward to what the community can come up with. There are some seriously talented guys in the community.

Karel Jansens 2007-12-21 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 113278)
Wow! You're fast... I think I'll take you up on your idea and contribute to the Pandora forum. It's going take some time to read the many pages already.

In fact, I may contribute with some design renderings of my own...

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Whaddayamean: "Reading up"? Nobody needs to read up on fora, danggit! Just ask any question that pops up into your noggin.

Oh, and don't forget to whine incessantly if someone suggests it might be more productive if you used the search function first.

:rolleyes:

(Seriously: I think I might follow you in there. This is some rad vapourware. I think I'm in love again <snif!>)

Capt'n Corrupt 2007-12-21 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 113317)
Whaddayamean: "Reading up"? Nobody needs to read up on fora, danggit! Just ask any question that pops up into your noggin.

Oh, and don't forget to whine incessantly if someone suggests it might be more productive if you used the search function first.

:rolleyes:

Haha.. I don't know *what* I was thinking!

In other news....

I just found out there are bluetooth SD devices on the market. Though most of the are discontinued, if supported, will provide a wireless option for external devices. I'd love to use Pandora as a mobile voip device, and it looks as though this will be possible.

Yes, I too am in love again!

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

asqwasqw 2007-12-21 21:05

i dont like the keyboard, but thats only because it takes up too much space
i love the idea, and if this thing is really what they say its gonna be, then i'm onboard for sure

LordFu 2007-12-21 22:09

Seriously, they're taking suggestions on the keyboard. Go, tell 'em what you think!

luca 2007-12-21 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordFu (Post 113236)
It's using a newer design of similar hardware.

Will it have closed source cra^H^H^Hdrivers or everything will be open/documented?

ArnimS 2007-12-22 13:02

go to the "our new machine" thread on the gp32 forums and tell em you'll buy it if they get Maemo/ITOS on it.

They're fixin to do their own minimalist OS crap on it, which will totally hamstring it for general purpose use.

If they go with maemo, the internet tablet community will get a bunch of awesome emulators.

Huge win-win potential for both communities.

ArnimS 2007-12-22 18:58

Pandora mockup videos - see how the Dpad and analog controls are well placed for thumbs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GxN3DmFZXF0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dOYRy8_D1cI

kotzkind 2007-12-22 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnimS (Post 113933)
Pandora mockup videos - see how the Dpad and analog controls are well placed for thumbs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GxN3DmFZXF0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dOYRy8_D1cI

But what about the touchsreen? I don't think you can use it too good.

Karel Jansens 2007-12-22 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotzkind (Post 113998)
But what about the touchsreen? I don't think you can use it too good.

Why not? I use the touch screen on my Psion Series 5mx, and even on my new Netbook, without any problem. Both those devices are a clamshell-cum-keyboard design and at least one is significantly larger than the Pandora-to-be.

It all boils down to user interface design...

LordFu 2007-12-23 00:09

The reason for a minimal os is to leave the maximum amount of resources available for programs. It will be up to the community to port other environments, but I stll consider a port of maemo to be pretty likely.

I'm sure the system will be as open as possible. Unfortunately, some hardware vendors still don't "get it" when it comes to F/OSS.

ArnimS 2007-12-25 16:46

From the wiki it seems they'll go for 'Open2x' and be compatible with debian-arm.

So yes - a minimal program launcher and not much else.

That might make it less of a competitor for the tablets, less application integration, less out-of-the-box stuff running on it.

Would be nice for the tablets if their emus would run on ITOS... but then again... until Nokia makes something with a decent dpad, it's somewhat pointless.

johnkzin 2007-12-26 01:04

if they're both debian arm, and both x-windows, then that might make them able to share some of the most basic applications ... the question is how much maemo requires a gui-app to be hildonized in order for the binary to run and be functional.

LordFu 2007-12-26 03:30

Multiboot would be the way to go.

ArnimS 2007-12-30 04:17

Well I can't speak with authority to this, but iirc debian arm packages are incompatible with maemo. Maemo uses armel eabi and debian arm uses the arm. Or something like that.

So from my (daily) chats with the core developers over there, it's not looking likely that they'll license some kind of maemo for it.

However, it *does* address those points that make the Nokia tablets problematic for emulators and games. If I can swing the purchase price of one, I'll be looking into bringing a package or two from pandora-land over into ITOS-land, as the hardware is much closer to the tablets than the gp2x.

I can really find nothing to fault with the design, given the manufacturing cost and patent constraints they face. And I'm pleased as punch that they were able to switch their design to OMAP3430 after I mentioned it in their forum.

Is it a competitor to the tablets? Lacking bluetooth and an integrated UI (like hildon), a large portion of tablet customers would probably prefer to stick with Nokia. However for the customer that wants a games-capable device in a pocket form factor, that can also run a wide range of linux software, it will be very hard to beat in 2008.

janozaurus 2007-12-30 16:36

Will there be games for this "gaming platform"? Emulators are nice for geeks but a device which can probably emulate some old gaming consoles doesn't make a gaming platform, does it? (Otherwise any Linux distribution is a gaming platform)

Karel Jansens 2007-12-30 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by janozaurus (Post 117819)
Will there be games for this "gaming platform"? Emulators are nice for geeks but a device which can probably emulate some old gaming consoles doesn't make a gaming platform, does it? (Otherwise any Linux distribution is a gaming platform)

This post means that you simply don't grok the GP2X and the Pandora. Get a PSP and don't worry about this thread.

kotzkind 2007-12-30 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnimS (Post 117611)
Well I can't speak with authority to this, but iirc debian arm packages are incompatible with maemo. Maemo uses armel eabi and debian arm uses the arm. Or something like that.

There is a armel port of Debian.
http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

repo:
deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unstable main

Some apps work fine in OS2008. Other can't be installed because they break the dependencies of the Maemo packages

Whole debian even works on the 770

ArnimS 2008-01-03 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotzkind (Post 117889)
There is a armel port of Debian.
http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

repo:
deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unstable main

Some apps work fine in OS2008. Other can't be installed because they break the dependencies of the Maemo packages

Whole debian even works on the 770

Thanks for the useful info. Spent some time talking to their OS guy yesterday and all I can share atm is that it will be 'as open as possible'.

TTgowings 2008-02-28 15:10

This devvice is looking better all the time, I can really afford about 1 gadget a year and right now this may edge out that GOW SE. RED PSP slim coming out in a couple of months.

I'm really ready to see/hear some "ANY" news on the next NIT, but it'll be a definate miss if Nok cooninues to put the friggin D-pad (and other useful buttons) on the slide oout tray and not on the front/sides/top etc. like the was on the 770 & N800.

And Asus with their EEE Pc (as funny as this may sound I'm in the current beliefe that the Asus is less cheaper look-feel overall then the Everex Cloudbook) seems to be looking more of a possibility if things don't start a changing on the NIT front.

I currently have my N800, Nintendo DS Lite, GBA-SP. GBA-Micro, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PS2, dreamcast and a Pantech DUO smartphone, (nice phone but the MS mobile platform is horrible) a P4 XP mach and a core2 duo Vista mach. (Vista's more trouble then it's worth some days)

And from all accts they'll be a new Nintendo handheld coming out before the end of the year and also look to expect v3 of the Zune (finally) to go with the rescent announcement (finally again !) they'll be bringing "some" Xbox live arcade titles along with XNA games as well, Also still up in the air with MS' live anywhere service/feature to tie in with mobile gaming across many platforms, phones (smart), PAD'd, and still a slight chance MS will still (finally) release their own HH gaming device.

On certain times and day'sI think I shoulda jumped on the Apple puppet wagoon and gotten an iPhone but since already having an N800 at their launch it judt wasn't a good enough fit for me.

Sometimes it's nice too grab your tech and actually be able to just use it and it'd work.

And I'm still looking for that elusive 1 gadget to rule them all but I just don't see anything currently on the horrizon. :-C It just gets really difficult knowing I'll only be able to get 1 "new" gadget for the year so the one that can provide me with the most(est) bang for the buck will probably get my long saved money for this year.

sherifnix 2008-03-13 14:08

http://www.openpandora.org/blog.php

Oh snap, the PCB is pictured. Its coming to fruition :) Where is Karel!?

Karel Jansens 2008-03-13 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherifnix (Post 154411)
http://www.openpandora.org/blog.php

Oh snap, the PCB is pictured. Its coming to fruition :) Where is Karel!?

Sorry. I've been out, worshipping the God Craigix.

He likes bunnies...

Benson 2008-03-13 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnimS (Post 115240)
From the wiki it seems they'll go for 'Open2x' and be compatible with debian-arm.

Seems an unfortunate choice; if they'd gone debian-armel, it might be N900 compatible (with some extra libs installed on both, no doubt). The ability to one-shot port apps to both platforms would probably help both communities. Did you discuss that option with their OS guy?