maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Brainstorm (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   [NEEDED] Appealing ideas for next CSSU (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75970)

IcyMoustache 2011-08-22 09:05

[NEEDED] Appealing ideas for next CSSU

What is the best thing that has happened since the N900 was announced??

Yes, we all agree, it is the CSSU. Thanks to the geniuses here, we have had some of the sexiest of features implemented on our N900....

But each of us wakes up each day, and feels "Umm, what if this feature is in CSSU. It makes my life easier." or "Hey thats a cool feature, how can I request it in CSSU?"

This thread is for us - the non-developers who have ideas that could be taken up in the next CSSU. Let's channel our thinking to create a better tomorrow.

This thread is for the developers to pick ideas for implementation.... maybe some are amazing ones, maybe some are bleak... But still we have a central repository of IDEAS.

I have created a wiki page:
http://wiki.maemo.org/CSSU_Requests#Feature_Requests

Please go there and add suggestions...

Alternately post here, so that I can add them there when time permits...

So my heroes:
What are the top 5 features you think should be included in the next CSSU?

mmarks 2011-08-22 09:20

Re: [NEEDED] Appealing ideas for next CSSU

I have only one requirement to make my N900 the ultimate device (and to stop me having to carry both my N900 and a company iPhone).

Support provisioning in email.

Our organization allows the use of personal devices to access email/calendars etc via Lotus Traveler. Unfortinately, although this is really just an exchange protocol, it does not run on my N900 as the first thing that the server requests is that the phone supports provisioning (remote wipe etc) As the N900 doesn't support this, the connection is dropped and I am refused.

I know there were posts previously about this and one of the team that worked on the email mfe implementation stated it wouldn't appear, but can our genius members do anything?

IcyMoustache 2011-08-22 09:21

thanks mmarks... keep the comments coming guys!!! Lets collect all these ideas in one place, so that they dont get lost!!!

F2thaK 2011-08-22 09:27

A decent vkb.

robin92 2011-08-22 09:33

more portrait support example when when you edit desktop you must have it i landscape. And when you add a contact in portrait the phone hangs up or it dont work :/

EDIT!
Instead of seraching contact it should search for programs?

eme 2011-08-22 09:37

my TOP ONE:

System-wide portait keyboard support

e.g for: SMS, browser, messages

neboja 2011-08-22 10:04

yes... we all think that portrait keyboard is necessity.... for messaging, as well for some other applications! but QWERTY and standard alpha-numeric in portrait mode.
personally i don't ever use vkb in landscape mode!

as for alpha-numeric layout, i think that layout of built-in dial pad is just ok! size and everything...
so these are my thoughts ;)

trisha02 2011-08-22 10:25

1) more smooth and more battery life
2) smooth potrait mode support as mentioned earlier
3) more app and games support (if its possible)
4) additional codec support like mkv and 720p video playback (obviously if possible)
5) better camera resolution ( N95 had 5mp but its definitely the best 5mp camera)

artishox 2011-08-22 10:32

I must admit I haven't jet installed cssu, but there is a feature I would like to have thats phone dialing as in WM5 and WM6:
when you open phone app and start pressing buttons it searches through your contacts both in numbers and names and dislaysm matching contacts above.
For example if I press 266 it will display possible contacts
Anna (1235457) // 2=abc, 6=mno
Dave (3326642)

If I tap on any of thous phone dials that number or if I press green button it dials 266

Stonik 2011-08-22 10:42

Universal search

In Hildon desktop, just open the keyboard and type. A search program opens instantly. In the first tab there are the normal contacts, and in the next tab Google search (instant, perhaps?). The third one could be Wikipedia, fourth Messaging and so on.

If user wants, Google search could be made as the default one in settings, contacts next etc.

J4ZZ 2011-08-22 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by artishox (Post 1074520)
... phone dialing as in WM5 and WM6:
when you open phone app and start pressing buttons it searches through your contacts both in numbers and names and dislaysm matching contacts ab
For example if I press 266 it will display possible contacts
Anna (1235457) // 2=abc, 6=mno
Dave (3326642)

If I tap on any of thous phone dials that number or if I press green button it dials 266

^^nice idea...

abill_uk 2011-08-22 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache (Post 1074474)
What is the best thing that has happened since the N900 was announced??

Yes, we all agree, it is the CSSU. Thanks to the geniuses here, we have had some of the sexiest of features implemented on our N900....

But each of us wakes up each day, and feels "Umm, what if this feature is in CSSU. It makes my life easier." or "Hey thats a cool feature, how can I request it in CSSU?"

This thread is for us - the non-developers who have ideas that could be taken up in the next CSSU. Let's channel our thinking to create a better tomorrow.

This thread is for the developers to pick ideas for implementation.... maybe some are amazing ones, maybe some are bleak... But still we have a central repository of IDEAS.

Alternately post here, so that I can add them there when time permits...

So my heroes:

I thanked you for the idea but i do not understand the NEXT cssu?, surely there is only ever going to be one and yours and everyones problem is to not only get development to take place but to keep it going and create more interest in the cssu development.

There is maybe only a handfull of dev's left even working on further development so i guess you will have to generate much interest to gain more and keep it going ;).

Good luck i want you to be successful :D.

robin92 2011-08-22 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonik (Post 1074525)
Universal search

In Hildon desktop, just open the keyboard and type. A search program opens instantly. In the first tab there are the normal contacts, and in the next tab Google search (instant, perhaps?). The third one could be Wikipedia, fourth Messaging and so on.

If user wants, Google search could be made as the default one in settings, contacts next etc.

yeah good idea, a search that you can customize :D

rotoflex 2011-08-22 11:14

Printing support

Reffyyyy 2011-08-22 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by abill_uk (Post 1074527)
I thanked you for the idea but i do not understand the NEXT cssu?, surely there is only ever going to be one and yours and everyones problem is to not only get development to take place but to keep it going and create more interest in the cssu development.

There is maybe only a handfull of dev's left even working on further development so i guess you will have to generate much interest to gain more and keep it going ;).

Good luck i want you to be successful :D.

He probably meant next CSSU version.

Was pretty obvious to me.

ammyt 2011-08-22 11:21

Implementation of freemangordon's codecs to enable 720p recording/playback, which AFAIK requires a new rebuit gstreamer, and no one but the geniuses can do that. As for anything else, I don't give a s*it :D.

Jaffa 2011-08-22 11:34

Quote:

Please don't. Someone else had this "fantastic" idea before and created a wiki page:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Feature_Requests

However, the wiki - or a forum thread - are rubbish ways of triaging, managing and tracking a feature. We have a central repository which can be used, and it's Bugzilla.

Relevant searches:

New feature requests would be filed in Bugzilla with "Severity: enhancement" and dealt with there. This also allows people to vote and track the issues they're interested in.

If you used the Bugzilla plugin (see the QA page), you could automate these "feature requests" pages.

icebox 2011-08-23 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 1074539)
Implementation of freemangordon's codecs to enable 720p recording/playback, which AFAIK requires a new rebuit gstreamer, and no one but the geniuses can do that. As for anything else, I don't give a s*it :D.

I second that. I can hack in mostly everything else I need from it, but 720p recording (especially fluid) would be quite useful!

AndrewX192 2011-08-23 05:53

It would be nice if some of the base packages (libpng.. etc) could be updated for security reasons - as Maemo5 ages, it would be nice to know what our Operating System is secure.

Bartcore3 2011-08-23 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by neboja (Post 1074511)
but QWERTY and standard alpha-numeric in portrait mode.

Don't forget to add AZERTY. We are fogotten many times :(

hasten 2011-08-24 16:10

This things could be done:

-A full portrait mode
- A good portrait keybord (as Opera Browser)
- Better display of incoming call (a larger picture, big words and information of incoming number work, house ...)

Thanks a lot for all support and hard work in CSSU

Estel 2011-08-24 16:15

As Jaffa mercifully mentioned, there is already correct way of requesting features for CSSU ;)

So, I'll only comment that I would like CSSU to *finally* become official release - instead of beta - and new version published as beta, then as another stable release version.

The situation now is, that most people use *stable* latest CSSU, which is "officially" never-ending-beta.

Vento 2011-08-27 09:07

Folders in menu without catorise or apmefo

sabryhm 2011-08-27 09:58

very good idea ,
1- bigger font for contact
2- when calling or receiving the No. and name has to be shown not name only
3- in the calling log , the name only shown , please add the no. as well
4- for any new program we need to have a popup icon mentioned there is new program ( as facebook )
5- an easy way to install any s/w ( not use X Terminal every time ) just support ( all format as ( apt-get install , dpkg .... , ........)
6- can we install Android application
7- an easy way to change QTlockscreen
8- more battery life
9-

mirciox 2011-08-27 10:24

A feature I would like would be to be able to set what to do by default when you swipe the camera slide (turn on flash, go to camera mode) and when you press the camera button, to switch to camera mode if it's set as flashlight. Another option from settings I would like would be to be able to set the keyboard slide sound with ease.

visN900 2011-08-27 12:37

here are mine
1.720p recording and playback
2.MKV codec supprot
3. touch focus in cam
4.N9 lock screen
5.full portrait mode

Drekkie 2011-08-27 12:58

I'd just like to know when it seems ready for casual or non-power users (if there are any left on the n900 lol). I've been waiting some time for this to reach a stage that is accepted for general use or for some sort of timeline where it might be expected to (granted I may have missed that info, so if I did then my bad). "when it's done" isn't really helpful for that.

I'll probably dive in shortly since it seems to have been adopted long enough to be stable and useable, but communicating more milestone targets would be great (again, if missed them then apologies).

I appreciate all the work done on this so far.

EDIT: Estel summed it up better than me a few posts previously.

lsolano 2011-08-27 12:59

If the CSSU people implement all featured requested here, it will not be CSSU anymore: it will be another Operating System.

IMHO I think many people here has lost the point about what CSSU is all about.

immi.shk 2011-08-27 14:09

best regards to CSSU Team
GODbless you :)

visN900 2011-08-27 15:16

hey i need these too..
1. portrait contact mode as in the phone>select contacts
2.N9 virtual keypad

prankster 2011-08-27 15:49

1-full qt quick implementation ..
2-N9 interface input..
3-more stable Z rotation in transitions menu ..
4-battery friendly settings ( wifi adaptation )

abhirajsoni 2011-08-27 16:13

i just want improvements in microB and equalizer in music player.

arora.rohan 2011-08-27 16:13

1. Portrait Lock with landscape mode only when keyboard is opened.

corduroysack 2011-08-27 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabryhm (Post 1077371)
very good idea ,
1- bigger font for contact

kind of bigger font
http://my-maemo.com/software/applica...to=1837&faq=49

maemomoomi 2011-09-15 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmarks (Post 1074481)
I have only one requirement to make my N900 the ultimate device (and to stop me having to carry both my N900 and a company iPhone).

Support provisioning in email.

Our organization allows the use of personal devices to access email/calendars etc via Lotus Traveler. Unfortinately, although this is really just an exchange protocol, it does not run on my N900 as the first thing that the server requests is that the phone supports provisioning (remote wipe etc) As the N900 doesn't support this, the connection is dropped and I am refused.

I know there were posts previously about this and one of the team that worked on the email mfe implementation stated it wouldn't appear, but can our genius members do anything?

Just to add, I'd love to see this feature in CSSU, it's the only thing stopping this being the perfect device, lol :D

gregoranderson 2011-09-15 12:29

Possibly outside the constraints of CSSU, but I'd like to see integration of gstreamer's gapless playback ability (see http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/m...sg_id=26763211) in mafw-gst-renderer and thereafter in MAG's open source media player.

Drekkie 2011-09-15 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregoranderson (Post 1088853)
Possibly outside the constraints of CSSU, but I'd like to see integration of gstreamer's gapless playback ability (see http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/m...sg_id=26763211) in mafw-gst-renderer and thereafter in MAG's open source media player.

Yes please, this.

ajack 2011-09-21 08:24

Quote:

So my heroes:

I think we should target to make the phone software completely open source. Identify what is closed source and investigate the feasibility to reverse-engineer or find a working (or need minimal tweaking) replacement. This achieves two things, making everything in the N900 open, thus giving developers free reign to mod/improve anything and everything they want and also opens up the possibilities to porting other OSes to the N900 platform which being completely open source makes it easier to port specific hardware.

Of course, it's easier said than done and I am sure many have thought of it, but I remember how the Atheroes drivers were binary only for linux distros and how the open source community slowly developed new completely open drivers using all publicly available documentation and working out the rest for themselves.

My 2 cents on this...

knobby 2011-09-21 09:09

portrait desktop wallpapers,
equalizer in default music player,
fixed shuffle option in music player,
playlist editing in music player,
support for audio control headsets like in other n-series,
edit mp3 metadata,
opera like virtual keyboard in portrait and landscape mode,
address typing in portrait mode in web browser,
full web support in portrait mode,
sharpness option in image editor,
soft vibration option,
touch focus in video mode,
support for flv format in 360p at least,
and flash upgrade if possible,
at least some use of front camera,
hope any of these gets accomplished..

Alfred 2011-09-21 09:27

if you've searched enough, you couldn've find some of those features included in some apps