maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   N9 Virtual Keyboard Dictionary (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84416)

godofwar424 2012-05-22 17:00

N9 Virtual Keyboard Dictionary

Hi,

Can we get into the dictionary of the N9 for a language and delete all the useless words and add our own words sort of like Autocomplete Manager for the N900??

I am starting to get frustrated with the stupid dictionary in the N9.

I go to type "then" I accidentally hit the b button meaning I typed "theb" instead of correcting with the most obvious, it goes and puts the correction as "Thebes" WTF!?! :@

Its so annoying how the dictionary has such useless words and puts them above common ones.

Swype is much better for normal typing BUT it uses so much CPU its not worth the battery drain caused (tested on multiple devices as well as a freshly flashed one) 20-40% CPU usage while typing with Swype.

Is this a possibility?

Other threads seem to have died about this and never got an answer, trying to get this sorted.

Maserti 2012-05-22 18:38

Re: N9 Virtual Keyboard Dictionary

i would like to inquire about this also,stock board has tons of foolish words,is there a word to adds words like from a dictionary?

thedead1440 2012-05-22 18:40

i second that. hope some dev around here is able to help.

godofwar424 2012-05-22 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maserti (Post 1210894)
i would like to inquire about this also,stock board has tons of foolish words,is there a word to adds words like from a dictionary?

Thats what I am hoping to find out from this thread, its getting to a point where its just annoying me now.

Swype is too resource heavy to use constantly and also is a PITA to use with X-Term. I just want to sort the dictionary out so it corrects properly unique to me and majority of people type when texting/emailing/chatting

Mize 2012-05-22 20:05

I had no idea Swype was that CPU intensive.

Quite frankly I find the non-swype keyboard (in portrait) to be utterly frustrating. It seems loads less accurate than iOS devices.

godofwar424 2012-05-22 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mize (Post 1210945)
I had no idea Swype was that CPU intensive.

Quite frankly I find the non-swype keyboard (in portrait) to be utterly frustrating. It seems loads less accurate than iOS devices.

Yeah if you have Swype as your active input method, then go into X-term and type in

Then you will see a process called meego-im-uiserver (active keyboard) do some swyping and itll jump to 40% CPU usage..

I just tried to type "yeah" accidentally hit 't' instead of 'y' and so I ended up typing "teah" and the suggestion was "teahouse"

Seriously! WTF?!

godofwar424 2012-05-22 20:46

I think I have found two possible locations for the keyboard files:

1st Location:

Code:

/usr/share/xt9/6.2
2nd Location:

Code:

/home/user/.meego-im-engines/xt9/6.2

dumpystig 2012-05-22 21:29

Teahouse LOL :D

arkona 2012-05-22 23:20

Just for comedy value, my favourite is whenever I try to type "here" but instead hit "hete" by mistake, it suggests "heterosexual"!? I am certain I have never typed that word in a text/email! I have no idea where it gets that from?

I have to carefully read what is being typed or it could be very embarrassing...

Mize 2012-05-22 23:50

I still like teahouse.

godofwar424 2012-05-23 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkona (Post 1211041)
Just for comedy value, my favourite is whenever I try to type "here" but instead hit "hete" by mistake, it suggests "heterosexual"!? I am certain I have never typed that word in a text/email! I have no idea where it gets that from?

I have to carefully read what is being typed or it could be very embarrassing...

Mine tried to say "heterosexuality" .....

godofwar424 2012-05-23 00:45

Need some devs to jump on this thread and see if they can help out, its a pretty serious issue. An all touch device NEEDS a properly functional auto-correction service.

Unlike the joke we have atm.

Kozzi 2012-05-23 00:52

With all this and yet we don't have a thread dedicated for auto-correct screenshots ;)

dcastrog 2012-05-23 01:43

I have found that the N9 autocorrector, never suggests a shorter word that the one that has been written, even when it is more probable. This is a key hint to start with :)

godofwar424 2012-05-23 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kozzi (Post 1211090)
With all this and yet we don't have a thread dedicated for auto-correct screenshots ;)

Or a website ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcastrog (Post 1211105)
I have found that the N9 autocorrector, never suggests a shorter word that the one that has been written, even when it is more probable. This is a key hint to start with :)

I too have noticed this. A rather unsual design for an auto-correct system..

godofwar424 2012-05-24 09:07

Anybody?

*bump*

stratax 2012-05-27 01:14

+1 on this, i like the stock keyboard but the autocorrect seems bugged. and swype is laggy

fsx 2012-07-06 11:11

I must bump this! PR 1.3 made it even worse!

Lumiaman 2012-07-06 11:18

Sad to say, part of the reason n9 sits in the drawer. iPhone blows it away when it comes to auto correction and even typing.

geneven 2012-07-06 11:32

For xterm, you should try FingerTerm, a program available in the Store. It isn't perfect, but it helps.

I hope that the N9 keyboard problems eventually are solved, as most of the N900 ones were.

fsx 2012-07-06 11:46

Nobody is paying attention to this. I know virtually zero of coding, but if I knew which files it uses to predict autocorrection, I would dive deep into it.

This is the only reason I want to switch to NITdroid as soon as I can manage to enable the autocorrect feature there. Or for a Galaxy Nexus running JB..

I disagree, the keyboard of the N9 is much much better than the iPhone's.. But its' autocorrection and lag really frustrate me.

Sometimes, you type a word such as "person" and it registers something completely different and autocorrects to something EVEN more different. Fun fact: when you type a word and it suggests the same word, press on your typed word to see all the suggestions. Then you will notice that the word you typed seen in the suggestion popup is actually different from the one on the text field. Ahah.

Anyway, if anyone who knows this stuff could help :-)

isfr21 2012-08-23 21:09

Bump. Come on devs, I would pay good money to make this go away. This is the only thing that currently frustrates me the most with the N9. If this was dealt with I'd be at peace with this beautiful device.

Under5hadow 2012-08-24 13:04

Hey guys, i found that all added word into the dictionary are store into this file:

Code:

/home/user/.meego-im-engines/xt9/6.2/personal.dat
but i don't how to modify or how does it work.

i think, this file can be edited by a xt9-engine (or something similar)

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ry-since-PR1.2

godofwar424 2012-08-24 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Under5hadow (Post 1255269)
Hey guys, i found that all added word into the dictionary are store into this file:

Code:

/home/user/.meego-im-engines/xt9/6.2/personal.dat
but i don't how to modify or how does it work.

i think, this file can be edited by a xt9-engine (or something similar)

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ry-since-PR1.2

The files are closed binary, meaning we can't access or change them.

Nokia won't open the files for us as they simply do not care, and anybody at Nokia who cared about the N9 and us maemo bunch have been sacked. So I wouldn't get your hopes up for this.

IF this device gets a CSSU which im starting to think won't be happening, then itll maybe get fixed on one of them updates, otherwise your only option is put up, create a new virtual keyboard or get a different phone :(

Ive gone with a Galaxy Nexus as my main phone now, due to it being more reliable. The N9 will remain my play toy for when im at home :D

Under5hadow 2012-08-24 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by godofwar424 (Post 1255343)
The files are closed binary, meaning we can't access or change them.

Nokia won't open the files for us as they simply do not care, and anybody at Nokia who cared about the N9 and us maemo bunch have been sacked. So I wouldn't get your hopes up for this.

Ive gone with a Galaxy Nexus as my main phone now, due to it being more reliable. The N9 will remain my play toy for when im at home :D

Yeah i know that some of the files are binary closed but i was expecting that somehow we can "enclose" them.

I was thinking about creating a new keyboard and add a engine similar to IOS or ANDROID. Is it possible or just a kind of crazy dream ?

godofwar424 2012-08-24 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Under5hadow (Post 1255367)
Yeah i know that some of the files are binary closed but i was expecting that somehow we can "enclose" them.

I was thinking about creating a new keyboard and add a engine similar to IOS or ANDROID. Is it possible or just a kind of crazy dream ?

Its definately possible, using Swype as my example, not sure how to integrate it into the system though :(

PS. The only way to access the binary xt9 files would be the reverse engineer them, which could takes days/weeks/months and its effort I don't see anybody here putting in :(

Under5hadow 2012-08-24 19:53

What do u mean by "using Swype as my example" ?

godofwar424 2012-08-24 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Under5hadow (Post 1255378)
What do u mean by "using Swype as my example" ?

Swype was added at a system level but it is not the default keyboard.

Meaning its possible to add extra keyboards ect.

Under5hadow 2012-08-25 07:31

I see.

I'm ont afraid to create one but I need docs to integrate it in the system. Do u know where could I find them ?

optimaxxx 2012-08-25 08:16

I Would also love the ability to remove some of these ridiculous words.
Leeann ?
Kirov?
Bayreuth?
Cockburn?

These are actual words my N9 has predicted after me going spack on the jets.
Fwiw, this was with Swype

shanic89 2012-08-25 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by optimaxxx (Post 1255497)
Cockburn?

These are actual words my N9 has predicted after me going spack on the jets.
Fwiw, this was with Swype

Eh, A Cockburn is a rather interesting character in software dev, you should not get rid of his name, one of the few authors that makes a sometimes frustrating subject accessible in my opinion.

Sorry couldn’t resist it; his writings on methodologies impressed me.

Under5hadow 2012-08-28 07:12

Seem like we can add our own engine and input method :) http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...ltZnJhbWV3b3Jr

godofwar424 2012-08-28 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Under5hadow (Post 1256573)
Seem like we can add our own engine and input method :) http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...ltZnJhbWV3b3Jr

Great find!

Now we just need a dev to jump on this and maybe we will get a great alternative keyboard without the most ridiculous words in the dictionary.. Possibly be able to remove and add only the words we want and use!

Under5hadow 2012-08-28 08:54

still have to find someone...... not so easy

Under5hadow 2012-08-28 21:14

Someone have already create an engine for ..... Korean. We can do something similar.

http://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouc...dlerkorean.cpp

Edit : So, I took a quick look at the code and seems not so complicate. I will try to do something but can someone explain how to compile the code to run test on my phone ?

Jordi 2012-11-12 06:52

Any achievements on this? French autocorrection became worse with PR 1.3. :(

The Best Isaac 2012-11-13 00:40

I think the real problem behind the auto-correction issue isn't the dictionary with its supposedly useless words. The real issue is how the correction engine decides which word it suggests based on the currently typed letters.

You can see this very good on arkona's sample, where he typed "hete" but meant "here". His real mistake was that he missed the R letter and instead hit T because it's the next letter to R. If Nokia had put real thinking behind the auto-correction feature the engine would know the real mistake (because for example there'd be a dictionary with common mistyped words). Instead the auto-correction is really dumb. It seems Nokia devs thought the only usage scenario for the auto-correction would be that the user wants to save some keystrokes so they display the a word that begins exactly with the currently typed letters but is longer (the longest from all suggestions?) than the currently typed word.

In fact, this could be an usage scenario. But often (or mostly) you just mistyped a word and want it to be corrected.

Well, after taking a closer look on all suggested words when you type "hete" (in the English keyboard), you get (PR1.3): 1. "hetereosexuality", "here", "bete", "hate". So, actually, the auto-correction engine know about the typing error the problem is it doesn't prioritize this suggestion.

Another drawback of the N9 keyboard is that while typing you only get one word suggestion (you have to tap on the typed word to get all suggestions). As far as I know on Windows Phone and Android you get severeal suggestions above the keyboard and obviously this would be a much better approach for auto-correction since a software cannot always know the appropiate word suggestion.

So, there is much room for improvements and I think editing the dictionary would only treat the symptoms, not the cause.

But I don't have much hope this gets ever fixed.

PuCiNhOOO 2012-11-15 09:15

I think that the diccionary in PR 1.2 was way better... Isn't there a way to just change one to another?

DS McGuire 2012-11-16 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkona (Post 1211041)

This happened to me almost ten mins ago!!!

I was texting my girlfriend when I almost sent her a text that said "... Yeah I am heterosexual now"... My N9 tries to ruin my relationship!

bouznak 2012-11-18 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordi (Post 1293219)
Any achievements on this? French autocorrection became worse with PR 1.3. :(

I totally agree with you, the french autocorrection is close to be a crap since PR 1.3. It is maybe possible to change the dictionnary files with PR 1.2 ones ? I don't know if that could work...